Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

spoon daddy posted:

Depends on cooling but in general, they aren't quiet.

Hmm, well... It's the loudest goddamn thing I've ever heard in a data center. If I stand behind it it blows my hair around. It is being used very heavily (two 10GbE links I think, and it runs a database that has extremely heavy traffic), but still. This is the appliance itself I'm talking about, not the shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Equipment that's being used at the top of its performance envelop will typically also operate at the top of its thermal envelop. And thus generate a metric shitton of heat, which is typically removed in the form of hot air by very noisy fans.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Internet Explorer posted:

Which really, in my opinion, is not so much the fault of the admin and more the fault of management. It is their responsibility to make sure procedures are in place to enforce these types of things.

This is true and problems like the one PTM is having are large scale organizational failures so it's not entirely fair to blame one dude for all of it. But I spent a couple of years as a lead for a group of sysadmins and despite providing examples of what I expected I don't think I ever received an acceptable project plan from any of them.

This isn't to say that they were bad sysadmins or stupid, most weren't, but they had never learned anything about the organizational aspects of managing a large or critical environment. They viewed their job as basically an extension of tinkering on their android phone or home linux box. If it was possible to accomplish something technically that was enough license to proceed with doing it, with no further thought or planning.

I got a lot of that "measure twice, cut once" mentality drilled into me while working as a consultant where it's a lot more important that you emphatically do not gently caress up the customer's stuff and you have a crapload of documentation to support any decision you make, lest it become a reason for the customer not to pay you.

somecallmetim
Mar 30, 2004

I just got off the phone with the Rep from Dot Hill along with a rep from EMC (Zones conferenced) and here is what I took away:

EMC supports NFS and iSCSI, while Dot Hill is only iSCSI. (I think we are going to go with iSCSI for VMWare).
The chassis for the VNXe 3300 is only 3.5 bay while I can start out the Dot Hill with 24 2.5 in a 2U package.
Drives need to be bought directly from both companies, but with the Dot Hill I can buy say 1 at a time instead of a pre-configured drive pack.
The Dot Hill comes with 2 active/active controllers with 4 network ports each. That means 8 usable ports.
Dot Hill's RAID configuration is stored on volume, which means that I can upgrade controllers without migration.
Software is the same it seems except app specific backups like Exchange and SQL. Although I will be using Veeam to backup in any case. The whole package from Dot Hill running ~$7k less.
Dot Hill has remote installation service and support that is cheaper and includes full documentation along with post install support.
Dot Hill is also ~$12k cheaper it seems.

I looked into the VNXe 3100, but I do not see much difference other than some software differences. Next up on the quote carousel is the Dell solution.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If all you need is iSCSI do yourself a favor and take a good hard look at the Dell/Equallogic SANs. EMC is such a pain in the rear end.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

NippleFloss posted:

This is true and problems like the one PTM is having are large scale organizational failures so it's not entirely fair to blame one dude for all of it. But I spent a couple of years as a lead for a group of sysadmins and despite providing examples of what I expected I don't think I ever received an acceptable project plan from any of them.

This isn't to say that they were bad sysadmins or stupid, most weren't, but they had never learned anything about the organizational aspects of managing a large or critical environment. They viewed their job as basically an extension of tinkering on their android phone or home linux box. If it was possible to accomplish something technically that was enough license to proceed with doing it, with no further thought or planning.

I got a lot of that "measure twice, cut once" mentality drilled into me while working as a consultant where it's a lot more important that you emphatically do not gently caress up the customer's stuff and you have a crapload of documentation to support any decision you make, lest it become a reason for the customer not to pay you.

He has a book about ITIL on his desk. The irony is hysterical.

Edit: Sorry for the derail, I feel like I'm talking about drama now. I'll stop.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Netapp has a FAS2240-2 that uses 24 2.5 drives in a 2u enclosure and does FC, iSCSI, NFS and CIFS.

Also supports ssd cache layer, external shelves 10gbe and some other stuff you might not find on arrays at this price point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

somecallmetim posted:

I just got off the phone with the Rep from Dot Hill along with a rep from EMC (Zones conferenced) and here is what I took away:

EMC supports NFS and iSCSI, while Dot Hill is only iSCSI. (I think we are going to go with iSCSI for VMWare).
The chassis for the VNXe 3300 is only 3.5 bay while I can start out the Dot Hill with 24 2.5 in a 2U package.
Drives need to be bought directly from both companies, but with the Dot Hill I can buy say 1 at a time instead of a pre-configured drive pack.
The Dot Hill comes with 2 active/active controllers with 4 network ports each. That means 8 usable ports.
Dot Hill's RAID configuration is stored on volume, which means that I can upgrade controllers without migration.
Software is the same it seems except app specific backups like Exchange and SQL. Although I will be using Veeam to backup in any case. The whole package from Dot Hill running ~$7k less.
Dot Hill has remote installation service and support that is cheaper and includes full documentation along with post install support.
Dot Hill is also ~$12k cheaper it seems.

I looked into the VNXe 3100, but I do not see much difference other than some software differences. Next up on the quote carousel is the Dell solution.

It sounds like the Dot Hill system you are describing is what HP is reselling as the P2000 G3, so you may want to cross shop there as well.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/12169-304616-241493-241493-241493-4118559.html?dnr=1

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

spoon daddy posted:

Depends on cooling but in general, they aren't quiet.

There's also a chance you've hit a bug. You should run environment status from either the RLM/SP/BMC or straight SSH (depends on your DataONTAP version what output you will get) and look at the fan RPMs. If they are reading ~6000 that's the max speed and I would question whether they need to be that. It depends on your ambient temperature etc but in a typical install even a fully thrashed controller will sit at ~3000 RPM. You can fix this by popping off the front face plate, pulling one of the fan modules out, waiting a moment, putting it back in. Done.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Edit: Sorry for the derail, I feel like I'm talking about drama now. I'll stop.

No no, please don't stop. This is an SHSC soap opera in progress, don't blue ball us.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Silently and subtly replace it with The Knowing-Doing Gap

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
So I verified that the appliance in question is a Reldata 9400 12TB. Does anyone know about the performance of such a system (note in particular that I'm pretty sure it has 7200rpm drives) when used as a CIFS NAS? They are gradually getting the permissions issues fixed but as that happens the usage level of the appliance is also increasing and I'm wondering how long it will take before it self-destructs from the strain.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

So I verified that the appliance in question is a Reldata 9400 12TB. Does anyone know about the performance of such a system (note in particular that I'm pretty sure it has 7200rpm drives) when used as a CIFS NAS? They are gradually getting the permissions issues fixed but as that happens the usage level of the appliance is also increasing and I'm wondering how long it will take before it self-destructs from the strain.

If it's like the Reldata I evaluated it's doing the following:

*Using three disks at least for OS and hot spare. Which of the disks are those? No idea!
*One side is active with no real load balancing, which means all your traffic is going out the same 1GB NIC
*None of the email notifications are because you changed the default admin password

I see all you guys complaining about EMC but at least they aren't these rebadged supermicro shitheel systems that I deal with. I would give my nuts for the worst in class EMC system at this point :smith:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Netapp just delivered my 10ksas tier. It's full of 15k drives. Do I call them?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

evil_bunnY posted:

I would at least check the invoice vs packing slip to make sure the serial numbers match.

And yes, calling your rep is a good idea, because they can refuse warranty on the drives (or the entire unit, really) if it turns out you got the wrong ones. Since the drives are the number 1 most likely item to need a warranty...

Sucks if they want them back, but you can make them do any switch on their time and their dime, because a mis-ship isn't your problem to fix.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I haven't really had a chance to take a look at this myself yet, but any tips/links/advice for someone who's been supporting Cisco MDS/Nexus switches and will soon need to jump into management of Brocade?

We'll have some test gear to play around with and will be able to lean on Brocade for some training and such, but any other helpful stuff would be awesome!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

Sucks if they want them back, but you can make them do any switch on their time and their dime, because a mis-ship isn't your problem to fix.
This is the tentative plan. The machines match the slip, so they really just sent me what I didn't order. The shelf is already racked, so they can come swap them if they like.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

qutius posted:

I haven't really had a chance to take a look at this myself yet, but any tips/links/advice for someone who's been supporting Cisco MDS/Nexus switches and will soon need to jump into management of Brocade?

We'll have some test gear to play around with and will be able to lean on Brocade for some training and such, but any other helpful stuff would be awesome!
FC is FC, you'll basically be learning some new SNMP MIBs and potentially using Brocade Fabric Manager (which is a decent piece of software). The web GUI is super easy, and the CLI's well fleshed out.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Just FYI, Brocade's Data Center Fabric Manager (generally abbreviated DCFM) is being phased out. FC and IP management are being converged under Network Advisor.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

complex posted:

Just FYI, Brocade's Data Center Fabric Manager (generally abbreviated DCFM) is being phased out. FC and IP management are being converged under Network Advisor.
Thanks for the heads-up, I haven't done much hands-on storage in a few years :(

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

10k SAS drives are only offered in the 2.5" form factor, so if they are 3.5" disks they have to be 15k. If they are 2.5" then they can only be 10k as we don't have any disks that support 15k at that size.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 21, 2012

nuckingfuts
Apr 21, 2003

Uh...yeah, about that. We actually have a Netapp FAS3420 with two shelves. It's being used for our "really" mission critical stuff, but originally that stuff was on Reldata hardware as well.

Is the FAS3420 supposed to sound like a jet taking off all the time, by the way?

All the PSUs are getting power right? I was staging a FAS2040 in a lab that was only half plugged in and it was exceptionally loud until I was able to get the other PSUs plugged in.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

NippleFloss posted:

10k SAS drives are only offered in the 2.5" form factor, so if they are 3.5" disks they have to be 15k. If they are 2.5" then they can only be 10k as we don't have any disks that support 15k at that size.
They must have delivered a -4 instead of a -2 I guess? I haven't opened that box yet, but the hot spare that was delivered separately is definitely 3,5"
In any case that's good to know, thanks.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Dumbass IT Director: "Yeah I think we're gonna roll back and abandon the Reldata..."

Starboard Support: "NO WAIT WE HAVE A HOTFIX"

Dumbass IT Director: "A HOTFIX YOU SAY WELL I NEVER"

Briefly, my life was looking up. A ray of sunlight was visible, as it appeared they realized they needed to jettison the Reldata and get a real filer. I then heard, as from very far away, a sound that was very much like a giant, $700 million toilet flushing.

Previous to this Starboard kept going "DAFUQ" and had no idea what the problem was. Apparently something is going on with communication between the NAS and active directory when ACLs are interrogated, I don't fully understand it. What it really boils down to is load, and this filer cannot handle the load that is being put on it. Even if they get it "working" it's going to eventually turn into a very expensive pool of molten metal on the data center floor. I hate my life. :suicide:

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
:george:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

ghostinmyshell posted:

If it's like the Reldata I evaluated it's doing the following:

*Using three disks at least for OS and hot spare. Which of the disks are those? No idea!
*One side is active with no real load balancing, which means all your traffic is going out the same 1GB NIC
*None of the email notifications are because you changed the default admin password

I see all you guys complaining about EMC but at least they aren't these rebadged supermicro shitheel systems that I deal with. I would give my nuts for the worst in class EMC system at this point :smith:

What's wrong with custom supermicro gear?

(420tb, 12 cores, 196gb ram, SSD's, and Infiniband running NexantaCore and Napp-IT.)

Our systems are essentially giant WD-Mybooks though :(

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

the spyder posted:

(420tb, 12 cores, 196gb ram, SSD's, and Infiniband running NexantaCore and Napp-IT.)

Are these designed to be portable sans or something?

What are you doing that you need that much data to be portable (if they are indeed portable)?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Are these designed to be portable sans or something?

What are you doing that you need that much data to be portable (if they are indeed portable)?

Those are SKB cases used for shipping servers and in our case overseas. These are archival storage for images and that is about all I should (read:NDA) say. I can say that we have a few dozen of these in various size configs with little to no issues in 100+ degree environments.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

the spyder posted:

Those are SKB cases used for shipping servers and in our case overseas. These are archival storage for images and that is about all I should (read:NDA) say. I can say that we have a few dozen of these in various size configs with little to no issues in 100+ degree environments.
We looked at Nexenta for our lower-tier gently caress-it-whatever storage and the software alone was more expensive than buying IBM V7000s and sticking them behind our SONAS :(

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
You know, I think if your job is so stressful and so much pressure is being put on you that you start to ponder :suicide:, that is a bad sign. That Careerbuilder commercial is on repeat in my mind.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

You know, I think if your job is so stressful and so much pressure is being put on you that you start to ponder :suicide:, that is a bad sign. That Careerbuilder commercial is on repeat in my mind.

Take some time off. No job is worth sacrificing your mental health for. 100% serious, do it.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!
I have 8x 1.5TB drives in a JBOD enclosure with dual sas ports and a LSI RAID card to go with it. I'm considering using a not so old machine I have laying around with a dual core proc and 8 gigs of ram and a smallish SSD and doing ZFS for file sharing at home.

I currently have an n40L for Home Server 2011 but would like to offload the storage of music and video on an actual file server / NAS. I've seen a lot of talk of ZFS and just wonder what the preferred implementation is. FreeNAS, Nexenta, Open Solaris?

I've rolled my own NAS in the past with Linux and NFS / iSCSI but want to try something different. Ideally I can get it running and just forget about it. I'd like notifications on drive failure or SMART alerts.

What do you recommend?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

OpenSolaris is long dead, you're looking at OpenIndiana at this point. I have absolutely zero confidence in the ability of the open source standard-bearers to continue the project successfully, so I'd count them out in favor of one of the other options.

We recently settled on vanilla FreeBSD 9 for our environment. We're running a bit bleeding-edge with Samba 3.6, but it handles ZFS's NFSv4 (CIFS) ACLs quite nicely.

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

I had a director at my desk today asking why I haven't started migrating to the 100TB of Hitachi he'd bought to replace our ageing 3PAR frames.
I asked him where the management tooling was to allow us to troubleshoot performance issues.
His response was that the American office had been using it for two months.
I responded by opening an email about their VSP outage that's still open between VMware and Hitachi.
He advised he was going to yell at engineering about getting the management suite setup.
Gold.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Misogynist posted:

OpenSolaris is long dead, you're looking at OpenIndiana at this point. I have absolutely zero confidence in the ability of the open source standard-bearers to continue the project successfully, so I'd count them out in favor of one of the other options.

We recently settled on vanilla FreeBSD 9 for our environment. We're running a bit bleeding-edge with Samba 3.6, but it handles ZFS's NFSv4 (CIFS) ACLs quite nicely.

I have a demo copy of TrueNas with Infiniband support I am going to start testing here next month. In house the devs are claiming 3.2GB's on 40Gb Infiniband. Not bad.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

They must have delivered a -4 instead of a -2 I guess? I haven't opened that box yet, but the hot spare that was delivered separately is definitely 3,5"
In any case that's good to know, thanks.
Update: I'm keeping the 15k shelf. Time for beer.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
What's that you say? ANOTHER hosed UP SHARE? :shepicide:

His boss is back in town tomorrow. I can only hope...

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
We're migrating exchange from 2k3 to 2k10. They decided to move 2k3 to the new Netapp array before doing the upgrade. 336 15k disks in the old exchange storage, 72 in the new. What could possibly go wrong?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Nomex posted:

We're migrating exchange from 2k3 to 2k10. They decided to move 2k3 to the new Netapp array before doing the upgrade. 336 15k disks in the old exchange storage, 72 in the new. What could possibly go wrong?
20% of the IOPS sounds fine for 2010, honestly, but there's no words for the :psyduck: at trying to run 2003 on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Nomex posted:

How big of an Exchange environment? 72x 15k disks could handle about 3,000 IOPS.