Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
This found it's way into my flower bed. I don't know where it came from. The only two cars that are usually in my driveway are an old suburban and a new Xterra. I guess it's my neighbor's way of saying I need to water my plants?

Seriously, no clue where it came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LTBS posted:

This found it's way into my flower bed. I don't know where it came from. The only two cars that are usually in my driveway are an old suburban and a new Xterra. I guess it's my neighbor's way of saying I need to water my plants?

Seriously, no clue where it came from.

What the......maybe more car parts will start showing up and you'll eventually have a block and heads in your flower bed.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

What the......maybe more car parts will start showing up and you'll eventually have a block and heads in your flower bed.

That would be fun.

From what some other people have said, it looks like its from a Nissan. One person said a 240SX, but it seems as though a lot of Nissan's had the same design.

Thankfully the new Xterra's water pump is different.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LTBS posted:

Thankfully the new Xterra's water pump is different.

Like your Nissan got sick and threw up its water pump in the flower beds

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Like your Nissan got sick and threw up its water pump in the flower beds

Someone's did!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You have a paved junkyard?

Does someone hold your hand, keep a parasol over your fair skin and do your nails after removing the part for you as well?
They're pretty tight on ground pollution from oil leaks etc. It was muddy yards and cars stacked three-high for you to climb over ten or fifteen years ago, now you're more likely to see the sanitised version pictured if they mainly deal in newer cars. The old kind is still around, but their days are probably numbered

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

InitialDave posted:

They're pretty tight on ground pollution from oil leaks etc. It was muddy yards and cars stacked three-high for you to climb over ten or fifteen years ago, now you're more likely to see the sanitised version pictured if they mainly deal in newer cars. The old kind is still around, but their days are probably numbered

They're doing the same around parts of Southern California as well, to better control runoff and minimize ground pollution. The truth is, it's really goddamned nice working in a paved yard, whether you're laying under a car or trying to move something heavy up to the checkout. So it's a plus for the environment and a plus for the consumer, with the cost to the yard owner presumably being made up in slightly higher prices.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

echomadman posted:

Saw this at the local scrapyard today. British electronics, best in the world mate.

Why is it in a scrapyard? That's just the service indicator.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Looks like I need a new camshaft. I can probably reuse the bearing right? :V

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Viper915 posted:

I can probably reuse the bearing right?

You won't run short of content for this thread, so go for it!

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Viper915 posted:

Looks like I need a new camshaft. I can probably reuse the bearing right? :V

What engine is this, a honda f22? Don't see many camshaft failures on ohc engines these days.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Good eye, this is an F22B2 with 197k miles on it. I was really looking forward to the 200k rollover, but it was not to be.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Viper915 posted:

Good eye, this is an F22B2 with 197k miles on it. I was really looking forward to the 200k rollover, but it was not to be.

I'm assuming from the wear also showing on the rocker arms round it this is all due to a blocked oilway?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

lazer_chicken posted:

Don't see many camshaft failures on ohc engines these days.

Start looking at KTMs.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Tomarse posted:

I'm assuming from the wear also showing on the rocker arms round it this is all due to a blocked oilway?

That was my assumption also. There also seemed to be wear starting on the other end, so it's possible that the oil pump wasn't generating enough pressure to really ensure oil flow.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have no idea what's going on here, but I doubt it's working as intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_zC7QK64Ks

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Just running a lil' rich.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The video description slays me.
Meanwhile, in Russia.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Its gotta be gas turbines....:psyduck:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ola posted:

Just running a lil' rich.

Gotta blow out 30 years worth of carbon build up somehow. Fire to soviet era locomotive engines is like seafoam to ours :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Serious question is it possible for train diesels to runaway like big rigs? Because thats a terrifying thought.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

Serious question is it possible for train diesels to runaway like big rigs? Because thats a terrifying thought.

No reason why not, although I'd assume they would have a mechanical cutout of some description.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

Yes. If the valve seals, piston rings, or turbo start leaking sufficient oil, they will run away. Any diesel can. They'll just eat their own lubricating oil till it runs out and then die a horrible death unless you can find a way to block the intake of air.

But with the locomotives, I'm pretty sure there is a cutoff for the generator to the motors, so even if the engine ran away they'd just cut the feed of power.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Yes. If the valve seals, piston rings, or turbo start leaking sufficient oil, they will run away. Any diesel can. They'll just eat their own lubricating oil till it runs out and then die a horrible death unless you can find a way to block the intake of air.

But with the locomotives, I'm pretty sure there is a cutoff for the generator to the motors, so even if the engine ran away they'd just cut the feed of power.

You know, there was a picture of a locomotive that threw a piston into a house earlier in this thread. For the longest time I've been trying to figure out how that would happen, and this is the only reason I can think of. I knew about diesels running away but I never really thought about it in this context, thank you.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

"Hm, that looks kind of bad, but if they shut it down maybe they can..."
:monocle:
That was comedic timing.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It's like Thomas the Tank Engine on PCP

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Ever since Russia got a hold of digital video cameras, internet video has gotten really weird.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

Remember the fuel cutoff switch. You have to hit it though. Since locomotives only rev to about 900-990 RPM. By the time you could realize you needed to hit it.

I usually hit it right after the boom, flames, and all the clanking, earth shattering expensive metallic death sounds.

Two Finger posted:

No reason why not, although I'd assume they would have a mechanical cutout of some description.
Yes there is also a governor connected to a fuel cut which trips if the RPM's hit above redline, but they can fail too.

Hence..

Rorac posted:

You know, there was a picture of a locomotive that threw a piston into a house earlier in this thread. For the longest time I've been trying to figure out how that would happen, and this is the only reason I can think of. I knew about diesels running away but I never really thought about it in this context, thank you.

..that

When it blew up it probably looked similar to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAKbkU9l-xE

but with more ejection.

Not sure how old this is
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6bc_1340211107

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

How does that kill a runaway?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
He means runaway in the "Unstoppable" sense, not in the "My SD70's VTEC just kicked in" sense.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Godholio posted:

How does that kill a runaway?

It doesn't, but what he means is that there's no power going to the traction motors and so your runaway engine at least won't be charging down the rails at an unholy speed.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

lazer_chicken posted:

What engine is this, a honda f22? Don't see many camshaft failures on ohc engines these days.

One of my younger brothers snapped both intake cams at the gear last weekend in his N/A z32 because he apparently had some mildly bent valves that bound the cams at 6500 rpms.

This is me busting the crank pulley loose with a puller*. As soon as the timing belt came off both intake cams (arrows) were spinning freely. That's not right!

*big hammer and a flathead

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nam Taf posted:

It doesn't, but what he means is that there's no power going to the traction motors and so your runaway engine at least won't be charging down the rails at an unholy speed.

Yeah it'll just be filling the air with heavy greyish black smoke a'la:

http://youtu.be/5zx3qKX_Pno

B4Ctom1 posted:

Remember the fuel cutoff switch. You have to hit it though. Since locomotives only rev to about 900-990 RPM. By the time you could realize you needed to hit it.

I usually hit it right after the boom, flames, and all the clanking, earth shattering expensive metallic death sounds.

Yes there is also a governor connected to a fuel cut which trips if the RPM's hit above redline, but they can fail too.

If there is enough of an oil leak it should self-fuel, shouldn't it?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 23, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nam Taf posted:

Fair enough. I can see how that might be a good idea.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Revolvyerom posted:

"Hm, that looks kind of bad, but if they shut it down maybe they can..."
:monocle:
That was comedic timing.
That was my first thought as well.

"Huh, that doesn't look right, but maybe it's just leaking fuel into the exhaust, no big d..." :stare:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

I am dumb. I slipped past the point of the discussion, and stuck my mind on safety features not related to the question at hand.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

funny, but wtf could he possibly be trying to do? see if a spark plug is working?

All the 12v stuff is touch-safe and the engine isn't trying to start.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah it'll just be filling the air with heavy greyish black smoke a'la:

http://youtu.be/5zx3qKX_Pno

That's why the cutoff valve for diesels cuts off the intake:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shut_down_valve
http://www.pacbrakeoem.com/home/emergency-shut-off-valves

What you'd probably want is a big red button to close it, along with some kind of mechanical governor that automatically pulls it if the engine goes too fast. With no oxygen, whatever the engine's burning won't be able to ignite.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Wiglaf posted:

funny, but wtf could he possibly be trying to do? see if a spark plug is working?

All the 12v stuff is touch-safe and the engine isn't trying to start.
Looks staged, like he's just faking getting shocked, and trying to get the video to go viral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BonzoESC posted:

That's why the cutoff valve for diesels cuts off the intake:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shut_down_valve
http://www.pacbrakeoem.com/home/emergency-shut-off-valves

What you'd probably want is a big red button to close it, along with some kind of mechanical governor that automatically pulls it if the engine goes too fast. With no oxygen, whatever the engine's burning won't be able to ignite.

I know, I didn't know they had a physical cut off valve. Most small block diesels don't except for newer TDIs which have an Anti-shudder valve that can serve that purpose.