Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

some texas redneck posted:

the drat thing feels brand loving new.

gently caress yeah, finally!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'd be lying if finding out that it was from a flood damaged car wasn't making me a bit nervous, but it's also the much-coveted 00-01 5 speed... which used to be a very popular upgrade for the 95-99 Altimas due to the 3.83 final drive (vs 3.65 for 95-99).

It's definitely been opened at some point - there's a very thick bead of RTV sticking out from between the two case halves. They're sealed the same way from the factory, but with a very thin layer that isn't visible once it's assembled, instead of a thick layer sticking out. So there's a decently good chance it's been rebuilt. It definitely feels like it's a lot fresher than 12 years old, and has a pretty normal looking layer of road grime/dirt/grease on it.. so I doubt it's been sitting around.

Should have gotten my old backup light switch though, this one is a little flaky, and I had a brand new OEM switch on the bad transmission.

To contribute for today, just swapped the air filter for the first time since I've owned the car. :stare: For 30k miles/almost 2 years I guess it didn't look too bad, but it certainly wasn't clean.

I need to bitch out the shop about what they did to my amp wiring - when they put everything back together they buried the fuse holder under the air filter box, and the section of wire before the fuse was pulled tight against the sharp metal of the battery tray. I pulled the wire loose enough so it doesn't get frayed, but I need to go yank the air filter box so I can re-route the wire the way I had it. :smith:

edit: neat, pasting a smaller image link to imgur auto links to the full size now? All this time I've been typing the url and img tags by hand...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 20, 2012

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I was sick of getting in the car and having to put up with the doggy scent from the P.O's dog that used to ride in the boot so I removed the rear boot floor carpet and side sections.

I was planning to scrap the bits of carpet and fit some from another car but after trawling the internet while at work I found a couple of examples of using flip flops and rubber gloves to shift the fur (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1LV-3QpLCw).

A brief flip flop test tonight seemed to actually work! - so tommorrow night I'm gonna go at it with the flip flops, then the hoover and then the pressure washer and see how it goes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had a VIN inspection done on the EXP, all is good so it and the SHO get registered tomorrow!

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Ordered some H&R springs and a set of Pilot Super Sports for the new wheels. Next up will be an intake and sway bars. All going on the 2011 S4 I bought two weeks ago.

Thehit
Apr 9, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

If you're only aiming for 400 whp, a Red is a bit of an overblown choice. Considering 6 bolt 4G63s with stock cast internals can fart around at 400 WHP all day, I don't think it's a big deal.

I'm looking to hit 400AWHP on a FP3065 before calling it a day.

I managed to get it for a ridiculously low price - not too hung up about power figures - if I get more I get more, if I don't I don't. The guy I bought the turbo off was making 270kw (360ish hp??) atw on a bone stock Evo 6 motor with 272 cams on 21 psi, I'm hoping for a bit more with better intake/exhaust. From what I've seen, US cars seem to make a bit more power with similar mods than cars around here too.

Can't find that much reliable info on the net, but I was under the impression that the Evo Reds (I've got an older journal bearing one) flow about 60 lb/min, whereas http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/tech-forced-induction/26477-turbo-specifications.html suggests the 3065 is rated at 65 lb/min? I could be wrong about my turbo, but I was under the impression the Blacks flow 68 lb/min, so I don't really see why mine would be any more overblown than a GT30/35? I could be wrong, I've not really done a shitload of research into my options, this turbo just fell into my hands.

I know it's capable of a fuckload more, and I'll push it once I know the rest of the setup can take it. For now I'll just chuck it in and see if I can get close to 300kw atw with 21-22psi boost.

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011
More like what I didn't do to my ride today.

Got the new radiator today and noticed a big hole in the side of the box. Hoping against hope I opened it up and sure enough there was a 4 inch gash through the core. Gave RockAuto a call and they were kind enough to send me another one free of charge. Now I just have to wait another week to get this fixed, ugh.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I bought a set of Eibach Pro Kit springs for my s2000. Its only a moderate drop (like an inch front and back) but I've been itching to do something to the car and I got a good deal so gently caress it. Will be nice to have a car that doesn't require $1500 in other suspension upgrades to keep it in alignment.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Finished replacing the right drive axle in my shitbox Sentra, a job that started last weekend. I got the replacement axle without a new seal, tore the seal with a prybar getting the axle out, and there it sat until I got a chance to work on it, tonight. That job sucked.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Noticed gear oil under it. Goddamnit.

Passenger side axle seal is leaking, and I moved the day after I got the new transmission put in. At least it's just a few drops overnight, so it's not going to hurt anything to drive it like this for a week.

I'll be back in Denton next week for a doctor's appointment - the owner of the junkyard that installed it told me to call him if it had any leaks, I'll give him a call the day before I'm back in town and see if he'll swap the seal out under warranty.

Still enjoying the hell out of the shorter final drive in the new transaxle, it makes a very noticeable difference.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Why not call him now and make the visit later? Usually it's best to notify the shop sooner than later.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
One of the plastic pulleys in the right rear window regulator broke on the A4, so I finally replaced it this weekend. Probably a 50c part, but the assembly piled up so it cost $150 for the whole thing. Good job VAG.

During the replacement, I noticed part of a rivet in the door frame - obviously not the first time this has happened.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sockington posted:

Why not call him now and make the visit later? Usually it's best to notify the shop sooner than later.

Didn't call because he's not open weekends - 9-5 Mon-Fri. I posted that at nearly midnight on Friday.

I'll give him a call on Monday though. :doh:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I never PM'd you back about the trans because the car had already been towed to scrap and felt bad for offering. :3:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Now you see it

Now you don't

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Changed the oil in the transfer case. 5 1/4 pints went in, only 4 came out. I can't wait to see what color it is next time I change it.

Was too tired to get to the tranny.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Monday - holy poo poo, got it INSPECTED!

First time it's been in inspectable condition in at least two years. The e-brake promptly stopped working very well again as soon as I got home from the inspection station.

Tuesday - fixed a few things the inspection station missed and loaded it with spare parts

Wednesday - drove it to Pennyslvania. Against all expectations, I made it without a rod escaping the block.

Thursday - went 4-wheeling, promptly bashed in my super awesome rocker rust repair, broke the rear driveshaft, broke a front axleshaft, broke the rearend pinion yoke, "customized" my floor and exhaust a bit more, and flexed the unibody enough that my two week old windshield cracked again. I have glass insurance and an inspection sticker now, so a new one's free, never doing a loving windshield myself again...

It was a lot more damage than I had intended to inflict, but I made it up a couple of trails that I didn't expect to, and sailed right up a rocky hillclimb that the president of the club's jeep broke on last year, resulting in a several hour repair session in the middle of the trail.

Friday - fixed it enough to limp to the junkyard, bought parts to repair it, repaired it, drove it back to the campground

Saturday - fixed it more, now it's woods worthy again

Today - drove it home. Against all expectations, I made it back...

Last year I drove my crapcan cherokee down there for this same trip and let all the magic smoke and knocks out of the transmission, and ended up scrapping/parting it out and riding home with a friend. Glad I made it back in one piece this time.

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011
Finally got around to replacing the radiator today. Upgraded to a 2 row radiator over the original 1 row the truck came with.

Old radiator

The dark spot at the top left is where it was leaking from. The spot on the lower right was from a super slow transmission line leak.
The first radiator I had shipped.

What happens when FedEx stops giving a gently caress.

Old stuff out. I went ahead and replaced the water pump and thermostat while I had everything apart.

Everything buttoned back up

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Found out the SHO is leaking transmission fluid. Gonna have to sort that out soon.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Sourced and purchased more bits for the VW. I don't like doing jobs unless I have all the parts. Today it was cup washers, screws, m6 bolts, nuts and star washers, a 12-24V inverter for the second heater, plus I priced 3mm ply for suitable looking paneling.

might have another go at getting one of the VW stores in Australia to actually respond to me about brake hoses. If they don't want my money that's my problem unfortunately.

edit ^^^^^^^^ Good idea with the two row radiator. I have a 3 row in the VW and am really happy with its performance. Even with only one 10" thermo fan that's enough surface area to drag the temperature back down when doing idling work like shunting heavy things around.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 25, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sockington posted:

I never PM'd you back about the trans because the car had already been towed to scrap and felt bad for offering. :3:

No worries, I figured it had gotten lost in the rust pile. :) In the end it worked out for the best - I wound up with a 2000 transmission with the 3.83 final drive instead of the 93-99 3.65 final drive, though the car it was pulled from was a 98. And according to the NissanClub forums, I would have needed different axles for the LSD transmission anyway.

My highway mileage is definitely going to go down a bit - almost 3000 rpm at 70 mph/113 kmh despite the super tall 0.74 5th gear, but that small difference in the gearing makes it a hell of a lot more fun. And when the car eventually dies, I can sell the 2000 transmission for a lot more than I paid for it. I just wonder how many miles are actually on it, it looks like it's been apart at some point (but the synchros feel pretty much new).

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Want the digital instrumentation experience of 1986? Try the Green/White Evo series by Prosport. Don't mind the interior panel gaps and fading plastic, that's just what $40k in today's dollars bought you in 1986.

Recently replaced the radiator with a nice copper/brass NOS one for $30 and every rubber hose in the engine bay for the fun of it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

some texas redneck posted:

Didn't call because he's not open weekends - 9-5 Mon-Fri. I posted that at nearly midnight on Friday.

I'll give him a call on Monday though. :doh:

Called him. He said he'll be happy to replace it.

For $60. :wtf:

I reminded him he had given me a written warranty, then he offered to pay for the seal if I pay for the labor. I then reminded him that I had specifically requested that he install new axle seals while he had it, and also had, in my hand, a 30 day warranty on his receipt (warranty pre-printed at the bottom of it with his shop name pre-printed at the top). He bitched about having to pay his mechanic to go in and replace the seal at this point, I told him that paying his employees to fix his fuckup is his problem, not mine. He finally said to bring it in and "we can talk".

If "we can talk" means anything more than $0, I'll sic the state attorney general on his rear end and replace the drat thing myself.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Barely fit the pickup in the garage and changed the oil in the transmission. Whoever did it last used the wrong stuff, as there were gold flakes in the bottom of the pan. My yellow metals are without a doubt worse for wear and a rebuild is on my medium to long term plan now. Changing these oils again is on my short to super short term plan, hopefully I can get the last bit of that GL-5 out.

I tell you what though, shifting is a lot slicker now. I took it out to the gravel road nearby to test the transfer case. I can't imagine ever getting stuck in 4-Lo and 1st, that thing creeps.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I just changed my PCV. I thought I had screwed up the teflon tape but it sealed fine and didn't unravel as I screwed it in.

The hose looks pretty bad though. It's shrunken around the hose clamp pretty severely but somehow hasn't cracked, knock on wood.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Discovered a 2 inch nail in my passenger side rear. Proceeded to use the "temporary mobility kit" that comes with the car to fix it (after removing the nail which apparently you aren't supposed to do but there was about 1 inch worth of metal sticking out and almost rubbing against the tread which scared me).

Wonder what the bill to patch a PZero is. Also apparently those kits ruin the TPMS so hurray for me!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

They can and do ruin the sensors (we had to send a cheap customer out with a rubber valve stem instead just yesterday for that reason), but it takes time; if you get it patched in the next week or so you should be fine. If the TPMS light starts flashing while you're driving, you'll know you waited too long. :D

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Fucknag posted:

They can and do ruin the sensors (we had to send a cheap customer out with a rubber valve stem instead just yesterday for that reason), but it takes time; if you get it patched in the next week or so you should be fine. If the TPMS light starts flashing while you're driving, you'll know you waited too long. :D

Yeah i'm taking it in tomorrow...Does it make sense to go to the dealer or will Discount Tire do the same job for me? (it's a Pirelli PZero on a mustang for what it's worth). Also, how much would it cost? I've been driving for 7 years and I never had a flat...

To be honest, I'm not even sure the "gel" ever deployed from its canister...the tube is transparent and I didn't really see anything going through...

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

shodanjr_gr posted:

Yeah i'm taking it in tomorrow...Does it make sense to go to the dealer or will Discount Tire do the same job for me? (it's a Pirelli PZero on a mustang for what it's worth). Also, how much would it cost? I've been driving for 7 years and I never had a flat...

To be honest, I'm not even sure the "gel" ever deployed from its canister...the tube is transparent and I didn't really see anything going through...

When you pulled the nail out did the tire deflate? If not, there's no way for the can to empty it's contents into the tire and re-enflate it, since it still had pressure.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

opengl128 posted:

When you pulled the nail out did the tire deflate? If not, there's no way for the can to empty it's contents into the tire and re-enflate it, since it still had pressure.

No, it was still holding about 25 PSI worth of pressure and not really dropping (stock is 35). Good for me I guess :)

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Blew a vacuum line to my boost gauge and suddenly had a massive leak. So I replaced that and got some new wipers.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Brakes.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

Discovered a 2 inch nail in my passenger side rear. Proceeded to use the "temporary mobility kit" that comes with the car to fix it (after removing the nail which apparently you aren't supposed to do but there was about 1 inch worth of metal sticking out and almost rubbing against the tread which scared me).

Wonder what the bill to patch a PZero is. Also apparently those kits ruin the TPMS so hurray for me!

Plugged & patched. Les Schwab did it for free...

Although after I saw how they lift cars, I don't think im going there again...(those drive-over lifts that rest on the frame rails or metal next to rocker panel...didn't notice them having used pucks when they took the car down...thankfully didn't see any damage either).

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 26, 2012

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Balls. Have we seen that thing since it was in primer?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Balls. Have we seen that thing since it was in primer?

Think of it like a unicorn.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I felt bad for the Shelby since it had those little bug-gut smears on the hood and mirrors, so I washed it. If it weren't for bugs, that car would never get washed.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
New rear bumper cover, passenger fog assembly (with blocked secondary lamp post :argh:), and center speaker in the 2000 95. I love that stereo.

Did a lame two-stage re-wax on the 2008 93 TurboX.
* Picture not current

Smogged the 2001 93,

.and silently sobbed to myself.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
Painted the AC vent covers to match the color of my Jeep.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Hawk HPS pads all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bled my brakes, which I have needed to do since I nearly boiled them at a track day last year. Nice and firm pedal again.

Also, speed bleeders make it comically easy. Never doing it the old way again.