Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Even back in the heyday of vinyl, picture discs were acknowledged as being inferior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ron Burgundy posted:

Even back in the heyday of vinyl, picture discs were acknowledged as being inferior.

They're just to look at, really.

As for colored vinyl (or, in this case, lack of color), I bought Bowie's Sound and Vision clear vinyl box set. I put the first album on the turntable, hit play, and nothing happened. I figured, poo poo, my turntable just died. It took me a minute to figure out the sensors couldn't read the disc because it was clear. :doh:

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

CPL593H posted:

It's ok. I just wanted you to feel bad for lording it over everyone. I probably would have done the same thing. Anyone paying super high prices for the pink Evol disc is stupid because that series of Sonic Youth reissues also had standard black vinyl pressings that are readily available.

I'm pretty sure the black and colored versions cost the same. I got all of my Sonic Youth ORG reissues for free out of the whole Heady Nuggs thing.

I wish that ORG would reissue Daydream Nation, Goo, Dirty, Experimental Jet Set, and Washing Machine. I know that the box sets for the first three are easily available, but I don't like those.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Wait, isn't black vinyl actually colored vinyl? I thought vinyl was naturally clear, and you needed to add color to it, and black became the standard color for whatever reason.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Black vinyl has carbon in the paint or something which makes it stronger or something.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

WASDF posted:

I highly doubt the color of the vinyl really does anything for the quality.

I'm not saying that it necessarily does. But all the problems I've ever had we with colored discs. It's possible that sometimes when they press stuff on colored vinyl they use lower quality poo poo or something in the process isn't attended to as well. Or it could be just a coincidence. I have plenty of colored discs that play fine as well. In fact I have some that are really great sounding records.

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'm pretty sure the black and colored versions cost the same. I got all of my Sonic Youth ORG reissues for free out of the whole Heady Nuggs thing.

I wish that ORG would reissue Daydream Nation, Goo, Dirty, Experimental Jet Set, and Washing Machine. I know that the box sets for the first three are easily available, but I don't like those.

The colored versions of those albums were limited editions. I think of 300 or 500. It was a fairly low number anyway. They were the same price in stores, but I guess on the secondary market people are paying way more for them. And I don't know about the rest but there is a Daydream Nation reissue. It's not ORG but it has four discs. The extra discs have live tracks. I don't have it so I can't say how it sounds, but it's only 35 bucks for a 4 LP.

Suit and Tie
May 19, 2009

CPL593H posted:

I'm not saying that it necessarily does. But all the problems I've ever had we with colored discs. It's possible that sometimes when they press stuff on colored vinyl they use lower quality poo poo or something in the process isn't attended to as well. Or it could be just a coincidence. I have plenty of colored discs that play fine as well. In fact I have some that are really great sounding records.

The colored versions of those albums were limited editions. I think of 300 or 500. It was a fairly low number anyway. They were the same price in stores, but I guess on the secondary market people are paying way more for them. And I don't know about the rest but there is a Daydream Nation reissue. It's not ORG but it has four discs. The extra discs have live tracks. I don't have it so I can't say how it sounds, but it's only 35 bucks for a 4 LP.

I own the Daydream Nation Box set, and I love the effort they went to for the packaging. Shame the records aren't that good.

But you should still be able to pick up the recent reissue of "Goo" through Universal's back to black imprint.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Are people really spending a bunch of money on them? All of the colored reissues are available on the band's store.

I used to have the Daydream Nation and Goo boxes, but didn't really like them. I like my original Enigma Daydream Nation a lot more. I just wish it still had the poster that came with copies of the album.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

Are people really spending a bunch of money on them? All of the colored reissues are available on the band's store.

I used to have the Daydream Nation and Goo boxes, but didn't really like them. I like my original Enigma Daydream Nation a lot more. I just wish it still had the poster that came with copies of the album.

I haven't actually looked into it, I was just commenting on what Electric Bugaloo was saying. But I don't find it hard to believe. Look how much money people drop on all that Third Man stuff when they put out limited editions that are the exact same releases as the black vinyl.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Neither have I. It's really annoying too, because the guy selling them didn't use the same (proper) labels that an actual record store would use, so the ones I've tried removing have been an absolute bitch to get off cleanly. They're the sort of thing you might find on glassware, and they sure as hell weren't made for paperboard. He had also run all ~300 of the records he was selling through discogs and had a fat stack of printouts with him to haggle with.

(I've posted plenty of record store finds in this very thread before. I have absolutely no reason to lie about where I find my LPs).

Hair dryer and slowly peeling gets even the worst stickers

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

I'm curious to see how much this winds up selling for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Strip...d#ht_552wt_1163

One of those sold for $16,000 a few years go.

Atreyu
Feb 14, 2004
'Your bum is the greatest thing about you; so that in the beastliest sense, you are Pompey the Great.'
Hey looking for some good vinyl stores in Rome. Visited Hellnation which was terrific but stocks only a small part of what I'm interested in - heavy metal, prog, 80s new wave/pop, and jazz fusion.

Just got a day to go - so please help a fellow out.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'm curious to see how much this winds up selling for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Strip...d#ht_552wt_1163

One of those sold for $16,000 a few years go.

drat, it must be really nice to have super rare White Stripes vinyl...

My Dopesmoker disc hasn't shown up yet. Such a bummer, because I'm moving next week and have already packed up my records. Not sure when I'll get a chance to spin it now.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
I'm not the type to romanticize achievements or put much credence in fate or destiny, but ever so often I'll come across someone doing something so remarkably well that I think to myself "they're doing exactly what they were put on this planet to do." I feel that way about Jack White and trolling record collectors.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

theradiostillsucks posted:

I'm not the type to romanticize achievements or put much credence in fate or destiny, but ever so often I'll come across someone doing something so remarkably well that I think to myself "they're doing exactly what they were put on this planet to do." I feel that way about Jack White and trolling record collectors.

While I can't disagree with what you're saying, I think it's worth pointing out that this auction is not affiliated with Jack White and the item in question is actually one of a kind. And it wasn't produced with the intention of being something that would be highly sought after. So I would say this is very different from his instant collectables. I wouldn't actually spend that kind of money on a record even if I had it, but at least I can understand why people would be crazy enough to do so.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Picked up a Dual 1245 today for $75. Looks like this:

Hooked it up through a thrift store Philips 590, like this:

But I have one question for any audiophiles out there... What the heck are these speaker connectors?

I've already figured it out that I can just jam the two speaker wires into either the 8 or 4 ohm configuration slots, but they don't stay in worth a drat. Is this some weird proprietary thing that Philips did in the 70's or something? I ordered the midi->RCA converters on eBay and they work like a charm, my only current problem is getting the speaker wires to stay in their holes. :(

On the upside, now I can play the 2nd UK pressing of 'We're Only In It For The Money' that I got a few weeks back. Also picked up Black Mastiff's 'Pyramids' and their EP when I saw them at the Distillery in Calgary a few nights ago, and found a copy of 'Spiral' by Vangelis at Heritage Poster shop. gently caress year chips. D:<

Edit: Forgot to mention I picked up the ultra rare C'mon/Hot Live Guys 7" split, along with C'mon's second album 'In The Heat Of The Moment' (on clear vinyl). Each was limited to 500 pressings, got them shipped to me for $10 a piece through Kijiji via a guy who I almost thought would take my money and run. Nope. And I got the Turbonegro 'You Give Me Worms/TNA' single. I wish I had a camera right now.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 26, 2012

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
Those are some old PA-type speaker connectors according to a friend in audio. He couldn't remember the exact name but they look close to DIN 41529 (just missing 1 pin which is probably ground).

Awesome looking gear though. I love 70s electronics.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

edit: nevermind, someone else gave a better answer.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Handen posted:

But I have one question for any audiophiles out there... What the heck are these speaker connectors?

It's a Philips thing, unfortunately I threw some out a couple of weeks ago.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Welp, I finally got it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

What is it?

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

alg posted:

What is it?

Broken Social Scene's self-titled. I've been meaning to buy it for a good while now, but spent my record money on Heady Fwends and some jazz.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Wronkos posted:

Welp, I finally got it.

I love this record so much. I assume your copy has Side D with the To Be You And Me EP on it. That was a huge surprise for me as the fast version of "Major Label Debut" is one of my all time favorite songs.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I got my first warped records today :negative: I figure sitting out in the sun for most of the day did a bad number on them. The outer tracks are really bad, the arm just skips on them.

I don't really wanna send the back to this small label because I'm sure they will lose money on it. Do any of the crazy tricks I found on google actually work to un-warp a record?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

alg posted:

I got my first warped records today :negative: I figure sitting out in the sun for most of the day did a bad number on them. The outer tracks are really bad, the arm just skips on them.

I don't really wanna send the back to this small label because I'm sure they will lose money on it. Do any of the crazy tricks I found on google actually work to un-warp a record?

No.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Just got this today from Germany. Sounds amazing :allears:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

alg posted:

How bad of a warp is it? When you say that the arm skips on the tracks, do you mean that it's incapable of playing at all on them? I have two or three warped records that play fine aside from a track or two where the tone arm hovers a bit as it goes up and down the warp and skips. I've found that resting a dime on top of the tonearm head during that track lets it play fine. It's not pretty, and it's probably bad for the needle and LP, but it works.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Parachute Underwear posted:

That album art is nuts. I'd frame that sucker

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Parachute Underwear posted:

How much did that run you? I just discovered this band a few weeks ago and can't believe they're not more popular.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Jeff Wiiver posted:

How much did that run you? I just discovered this band a few weeks ago and can't believe they're not more popular.

~$74 Canadian for 2 copies from here: http://www.kozmik-artifactz.com/shop/product_info.php?info=p6908_HEAVY-EYES--THE---The-Heavy-Eyes--black--LP.html

It'll probably be a bit cheaper since the clear blue was 22 EUR (looks like only black is left :( ). Got one that's labelled 3/150 and another (my buddy's) 78/150. Good stuff. I may get it framed eventually!

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

MokBa posted:

I love this record so much. I assume your copy has Side D with the To Be You And Me EP on it. That was a huge surprise for me as the fast version of "Major Label Debut" is one of my all time favorite songs.

Yeah, I've owned To Be You And Me digitally for a while now, so that was a very pleasant surprise. Hell yeah for fast Major Label Debut/Canada Vs America.

Wronkos fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 27, 2012

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Glass and sun worked one time for me, I guess there are many variables at play.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

Glass and sun worked one time for me, I guess there are many variables at play.

I've heard about this one, but I've also heard there are mixed results. I think some people occasionally get lucky. But if you've got a warped record odds are it's a warped record no matter what you do. Even if you can flatten the disc itself there's a good chance the grooves get all hosed up in the process. I've seen this machine for sale that is supposed to unwarp records. Of course it's also really loving expensive and who knows how well it works.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I'm about to try the glass and sun method this weekend, since we're expecting triple-digit temperatures here. I got a record in the mail a month or so ago that was just hosed. The package looked like it had been bent in half somewhere in transit between Manchester and the US, and stayed in that position for a couple of weeks.

The record was a limited edition of 30 copies, so I have no chance of getting another unless I want to pay out the rear end. It won't play at all as it is-- no harm in trying to melt it a little.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
If you are going to go down that road, just do the glass trick in an oven. You don't have to wait for a hot day.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
One of the pieces of glass I'm going to use is the top of my coffee table, which is too big to fit in the oven. I drat near shattered it on the kitchen floor on a previous attempt at this.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I'm gonna try the glass and sun method this weekend, too. Triple digit temps buddies :hfive:

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Quick suggestion - make sure you try this on something you don't care about first, just so you don't feel too bad if you misjudge times or heat levels. I've never seen the glass trick work perfectly, in the oven or outside, but I've seen it completely destroy records more often than I wish I had.

We had at least one person come into the shop every week asking for tips on how to unwarp a record, almost universally they came back in to try and find a new copy.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I've destroyed more records than I've fixed with glass & heat method, and even on the ones that were flattened (barely within the limits of playability) there was obvious groove distortion. This really is the last resort on an exceptionally rare or sentimentally important disc. A warped record wants to stay warped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Yeah, I mean, like I said, it's a private press record-- I'm looking at spending an easy $100 at least for another copy. It's ruined, so I'm gonna go ahead and give it a shot. Groove distortion I can live with, but right now the tonearm won't even lay flat on the record with the turntable stopped.