Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Man up and finish reading Mistborn! :black101:

Though book 2 drags until about the 2/3 mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

OneTwentySix posted:

Maybe he'll manage them better now that he's a decent author, or the kids are older?

Sanderson has a good track record there. He knows his flaws with humor and characters, so he does try to work on the problem.

Doesn't seem to be doing much for the humor though. I guess you either have it or you don't.

Ethereal Duck
Oct 29, 2010

The jokes are so bad I actually find them kind of endearing. Or as they said at the start of The Alloy of Law:
"Cover me!"
"With what?"
1800s humour right there. :toot: Yeah he's made no progress whatsoever on the humour front. But someday..!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I dunno, Alloy had its moments. Like Marasi realizing that sometimes people just really want to blow up Wayne. Or Miles continuously getting his hand blown off, and when he finally starts complaining about it someone blows off his face. And my personal favorite, everything involving High Imperial.

I'd almost say he's finally starting to realize that not everyone loves puns as much as him, but then you realize that the main characters are named Wax and Wayne :shepface:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

404GoonNotFound posted:

I dunno, Alloy had its moments. Like Marasi realizing that sometimes people just really want to blow up Wayne. Or Miles continuously getting his hand blown off, and when he finally starts complaining about it someone blows off his face. And my personal favorite, everything involving High Imperial.

I'd almost say he's finally starting to realize that not everyone loves puns as much as him, but then you realize that the main characters are named Wax and Wayne :shepface:

I dunno, explosions make everything awesome. He knows that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I loving love terrible puns so maybe that's why Sanderson's awful humor works for me.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

IRQ posted:

I loving love terrible puns so maybe that's why Sanderson's awful humor works for me.

Completely agree. People here need to go buy a sense of humor.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

404GoonNotFound posted:

Oh jesus how did I not notice that. I like to believe that it's so bad my brain blocked it out. The rest of his humour is like action movie humour, which works given the books basically are action movies.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah. Sanderson's strength is writing an absurdly tight narrative, with iron-clad logic, few to no plot holes, good pacing and EPIC reveals. His characters range from blah to average, with usually one or two pretty good characters per book - and those aren't guaranteed to be the protagonists, either.

I don't mind the puns. Wit was about the only time that it got to me, and that was pretty deliberate. Lightsong really didn't bother me as much as it seems he did some. But I can't get enough of the way that his stories knit together so perfectly.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Sanderson is imaginative but kind of stupid. He's like a dumb Jack Vance.

Cthulwho
Aug 31, 2009
Am i on my own in thinking the mistborn trilogy were bad, bad books?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This is the Brandon Sanderson megathread, the majority of us like his books or we wouldn't be posting here.

That said, please tell us what you don't like about them so we can discuss it.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Cthulwho posted:

No! Not at all!

I mean, I disagree with you, and a lot of other people in here do too. It's the Brandon Sanderson thread, we all like his books!

But we're also able to tell that the prose is less then stellar! That tends to be the sticking point for most people.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

senae posted:

No! Not at all!

I mean, I disagree with you, and a lot of other people in here do too. It's the Brandon Sanderson thread, we all like his books!

But we're also able to tell that the prose is less then stellar! That tends to be the sticking point for most people.

His prose isn't exceptional, but it's consistently tolerable.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Mortanis posted:

Yeah. Sanderson's strength is writing an absurdly tight narrative, with iron-clad logic, few to no plot holes, good pacing and EPIC reveals. His characters range from blah to average, with usually one or two pretty good characters per book - and those aren't guaranteed to be the protagonists, either.

Hrathen is one of my favorite Sanderson characters partially because even he's not sure whether or not he's a protagonist most of the time.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Silver2195 posted:

His prose isn't exceptional, but it's consistently tolerable.
Yeah I think his prose is perfectly readable. It's dialogue specifically where he gets bogged down I think, but his descriptions are alright and his action scenes are flowing.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Cthulwho posted:

They aren't exactly high literature, but I find them (the first one especially) to be very fun books.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I think Sanderson is too much of a nice guy to do humor well. I think to do humor for adults you have to be at least a bit of a dick, or at least able to assume a dickish mindset.

Ethereal Duck
Oct 29, 2010

Cicero posted:

I think Sanderson is too much of a nice guy to do humor well. I think to do humor for adults you have to be at least a bit of a dick, or at least able to assume a dickish mindset.

I have to agree. The Lies of Locke Lamora comes to mind. But like I said, Sanderson's puns are kind of endearing. And often so ridiculous they make you laugh anyway. I don't think any of the "witty" characters really got on my nerves, apart from Shallan at times.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Also it helped in Warbreaker that nobody in-book thought Lightsong was funny.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Even Lightsong knew we was lame.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I liked Lightsong; he was so lame he was funny again.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
The audiobook version was so awful, he sounded like he was a stoner the entire time.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I do the same kind of thing sometimes where I make an incredibly dumb joke and deliver it with a poo poo-eating grin and my friend usually punches me, so Lightsong was really funny to me because he basically did that constantly.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I do the same kind of thing sometimes where I make an incredibly dumb joke and deliver it with a poo poo-eating grin and my friend usually punches me, so Lightsong was really funny to me because he basically did that constantly.

This is my humor too. It's the silly, 'not actually funny but the delivery is what makes it comedic in its own ridiculousness' kind of thing. I like Sanderson because his humor is cheesy and safe. There were a few times where I actually laughed in Alloy of Law.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

That and Lightsong knew that nobody would ever punch him. The ultimate license to be cheesy.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
So you're saying Lightsong was a master of Dad Humor? I can buy into that.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

keiran_helcyan posted:

So you're saying Lightsong was a master of Dad Humor? I can buy into that.
I think that is exactly what he was going for.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

bowmore posted:

I think that is exactly what he was going for.
I think it's more that Dad jokes are his maximum joke level.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
You guys are making Brandon's novels sound better and better to me. At first his novels daunt me because of its size, but knowing they have a punslinger inside them makes me want to read it even more.

So which one's more dense with those kind of jokes?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Warbreaker probably has the most dad jokes. Don't be afraid of the size of the novels, they are incredibly easy to read. (Except I think Elantris is a slogfest, getting better in the last 200 pages though.)

I think it took me a week to read the Mistborn series, when it usually takes me two, three weeks to finish any other book. They were just that good.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I blew through Elantris because Hrathen is a loving great character and it's a pretty good book besides.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I blew through Elantris because Hrathen is a loving great character and it's a pretty good book besides.

Hrathen is amazing. Raoden is pretty cool. Everyone else is fairly bland. :(

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

I agree. I know a lot of people seem to spew some hate on various parts of the book, but the only part that made it difficult was the pacing. The absolutely mechanical rotation between the main characters really slowed it down and was really the only big issue for me with the entire book.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

shymog posted:

I agree. I know a lot of people seem to spew some hate on various parts of the book, but the only part that made it difficult was the pacing. The absolutely mechanical rotation between the main characters really slowed it down and was really the only big issue for me with the entire book.

I think Brandon said in his commentary notes, that a lot of his readers have said the same thing. He might not stick with this in the sequel.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

shymog posted:

He did that in Hero of Ages too, bouncing from viewpoint to viewpoint, but it worked a lot better in that book because the tension was high and the chronology was clear and followable. Elantris felt like I was reading very long introductions to three different books, alternating one chapter at a time. It was annoying and felt disjointed. I know he did that on purpose, but I didn't care for it.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Eric the Mauve posted:

He did that in Hero of Ages too, bouncing from viewpoint to viewpoint, but it worked a lot better in that book because the tension was high and the chronology was clear and followable. Elantris felt like I was reading very long introductions to three different books, alternating one chapter at a time. It was annoying and felt disjointed. I know he did that on purpose, but I didn't care for it.

Right. I think I actually yelled at the book a few times while reading it when I turned the page and it was another Sarene chapter. Honestly, Raoden and Hrathen's chapters were, on the whole, quite interesting, and Sarene's chapters moved like molasses until the end of the book.

Then again, the Sanderson Steamroll/Avalanche is something that he's getting better at, but Elantris could almost use a tighter edit, even now. The story's good, but it's too painfully obvious that it's a first book. I'm glad that he at least learns, improves, and takes some of what his readers say to heart.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think you could easily get Elantris down to 400 to 450 pages from the 615 it currently is.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's a great interview with Brandon, mostly about The Alloy of Law.
http://afeastoffantasy.tumblr.com/post/26493023226/brandonsandersoninterview

quote:

What inspired you to take your Mistborn world into the realm of steampunk fantasy?

When I was originally working on the Mistborn trilogy, one of the things that interested me was taking this world and progressing it. Allomancy screamed to be used in a more advanced society where metal was a larger part of people’s lives. By ignoring that and setting it only in an epic fantasy world, I would miss out on the possibility for some really cool interactions. So as I was working on the first three books, I called my editor and said, “Hey, I’d really like to take this world after the trilogy and go forward with it.”

I wasn’t planning to do anything steampunkish per se, but to move into a more modern world. But then I was between books of the Wheel of Time, and between books I often take a break and do something small. I started writing a short story set between the first two trilogies I planned in the Mistborn world, and that story expanded to become The Alloy of Law. I really enjoyed the concept and the characters in the story, so I kept going and it became a novel.

What is your favorite part of The Alloy of Law?

I would say my favorite part was getting to finally write about interactions between guns and Allomancy.

What was the hardest to write?

The most challenging part of that book was to keep a strong enough focus on the characters while writing a faster, shorter plot. That’s a balance I haven’t practiced nearly as much as I have with the epic fantasies, where I have basically as much time as I want with any given character. So that was a challenge.

What do you wish you’d done differently?

There’s not something I wish I had done differently, but I think the greatest weakness of the book is that for the ending to really work, you have to know some things about the original trilogy. For the rest of the book, you don’t need to know anything about the trilogy. So I wonder if that was the right move or not.

Within the Mistborn novels, is there a message you wish your readers to grasp?

Not in particular. I don’t go into a book wanting to teach anyone a message. I go in wanting to tell a good story, and I let the characters develop their messages as they see fit. Each book grew to have its own theme dependent on the characters of the given book, their passions and things like that. I do think that the whole concept of Kelsier, “the Survivor,” and pushing forward is an overarching theme of the entire series, but it’s not necessarily a message that I want people to get.

Did you learn anything from writing The Alloy of Law and what was it?

I learned that I can write a shorter novel. I’m certainly not as practiced at it, and there are things I need to get better at, but I’ve proved to myself that it’s within my capacity to do.

Random Questions:

If you could play Magic:The Gathering with one person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

That’s an easy one. Richard Garfield, who created and designed Magic. I want him to sign some of my cards.

Have you ever hated something you wrote?

Yes—well, I’m not a person who hates much, but there are certainly pieces I was disappointed in, some of the early ones before I was published, when I hadn’t quite figured out how to do this yet. There were a couple of books that I felt turned out very poorly, and I was annoyed and frustrated by how poorly they turned out. That’s just part of the process of learning to be a writer.

How do you react to a bad review of one of your books?

It depends on the type of bad review. There are, on Amazon, one-star reviews of my favorite books. Legitimate one-star reviews—people who just didn’t like the book. There’s a lot of variety to people out there, and my books are not right for everyone. No book is. How do I react to negative reviews? I just keep on going.

Thanks so much, Brandon, for taking time for your fans. I really appreciate getting to know a bit more about my favorite author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Saw the "Spotlight on Brandon Sanderson" panel at SDCC and it was pretty good, and pretty close to filled as well.

- Read some of the prologue to AMoL
- Gave some insight on his next books...2nd and 3rd Stormlight books right after AMoL, then some stuff he's been working on, then an Elantris sequel, then a Alloy of Law sequel(well same characters maybe not sequel).
- Probably old news to this thread, but he wrote like 12 books prior to getting published, and the first 5 books were just practice books, the sixth being Elantris
- He apparently writes novellas on vacations and flights for shits and giggles.