Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

.swf (ShockWave Flash) is the Flash file format. Most likely each subject just has a .txt file for the text part and a corresponding .swf for the video in some format Flash can play.

See if the .swfs will open in an external flash player. If so, the quick and dirty solution is just to use the ipad's text editor/viewer to read the .txt file, then use its flash player to open the .swf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Does ipad have a flash player now?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Nope. iDevices don't have flash, period. You'll have to convert the videos to a format that the iPad can play. (i.e. h264)

Good luck!

sekshun8
Apr 20, 2012
iSquint gave me an error when trying to convert.

"I/O error occured. Usually that means that input file is truncated and/or corrupted."

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

thelightguy posted:

Nope. iDevices don't have flash, period. You'll have to convert the videos to a format that the iPad can play. (i.e. h264)

Good luck!

To be fair you can play flash videos through Skyfire on iDevices, although its not really the device decoding it.

foundtomorrow
Feb 10, 2007
Hey guys, quick request for some direction on a tiny app. that was made by Hoborg for me a while back:

foundtomorrow posted:

I am requesting a small application that will monitor a public webpage that refreshes itself every 60 seconds with new data. The webpage doesn't contain much data, we're talking about 1000 words tops.

I'd like this app. to email or text me when certain words or phrases appear on this monitored webpage. I expect to receive about 1-2 alerts per day, with a possibility of about 10 per day.

I mainly use firefox, and run Win 7 64 bit on my main machine. But I have some other laptops with other OSes if needed or I could pop a new Virtual Box with any special configuration needed for this.

I'd greatly appreciate any guidance or a small app!

Hoborg posted:

I thought I'd time myself on this one, so I can feel more guilty about how I'm behind on my coursework project and revision for my upcoming finals...

...according to my iPhone's stopwatch I've worked a total of just under 5 hours building this (including time spent at lunch). The bulk of the work was done in under 2 hours, the rest was bugfixes and improvements. The sad thing is how on Linux this whole thing could be done in a few minutes with a few shell scripts (use 'at' to schedule wget to pipe into grep which then runs an arbitrary script for an action).

Screenshot proof:

Documentation:

The sites you add will be automatically saved on application close and reloaded on startup (they're saved to a folder called "Monitors" within the directory you launched the program from within).

The UI is simple: the main window lists all active site monitors. Click 'add' to create a new one and enter the details in the popup form. You can specify 3 actions too: run a program, play a sound, and send an email. If an error occurs you'll get a messagebox rather than the application crashing. The program is multithreaded and won't lock up your box whilst it does anything.

Enjoy: http://bit.ly/mivMXz

(the PDB files are for debugging purposes, if anything wrong happens; so send me a PM or reply in this thread if there are any problems).

Hoborg posted:

Back to dealing with foundtomorrow. I've received his email and found a couple of bugs that I've fixed in the latest version that's now available for download: http://bit.ly/mivMXz (identified as Release 5).

I have researched the HTML Agility Pack that Hoborg used in this tiny app. and I think I can change the program enough to do this new task I'd like the program to do, but the problem is that I can't use the source code provided by Hoborg to re-build the .exe and check my changes. The source includes 5 different .cs files (MainForm, Monitor, MonitorForm, MonitorItem, and Program), and each file also has two others that go along with it with the extentions .designer.cs and .resx.

I have Visual Studio 2010 Pro. and have used it for some VB .Net programming and other small programming things, and I've always had some sort of "Solution" file that helps everything stay organized.

If I could figure out how to load Hoborg's individual .cs source code into a visual studio project and then compile it into a new .exe, I might be able to make the small change to the C# that I need. Can someone tell me how to do that? I've never compiled .cs into an .exe.

The modification i am going to attempt is:
I'd like the program to watch a specific place on the webpage for it to check for a number, and then email if the number reaches a given threshold. For example, there's a number on webpage saying how many comments have been posted, and I would like to monitor that number on that exact webpage URL I input and email me when the number exceeds 1000.

Possible?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hi! I can program a VCR and that's about it, so please use small words when replying. :)

Request:
I think I have a simple idea for an app to make flash cards to practice French conjugations. I'd like a tool that will let you enter several verbs and the tenses you want conjugations for. The tool would then go to http://leconjugueur.lefigaro.fr/, copy the requested info and enter it into a tab separated .txt file (which I can then import into Anki for flashcard practice).

For example, if I entered...
verbes: pouvoir
temps: Présent, Futur simple (I imagine the tenses could be checkboxes)

... the app would then take the information from this page and give me a tab separated text file such as the one below which I can import into Anki.

code:
pouvoir (présent)<br />je _______	je peux
pouvoir (présent)<br />tu _______	tu peux
pouvoir (présent)<br />il _______	il peut
pouvoir (présent)<br />nous _______	nous pouvons
pouvoir (présent)<br />vous _______	vous pouvez
pouvoir (présent)<br />ils _______	ils pouvent
pouvoir (futur simple)<br />je _______	je pourrai
pouvoir (futur simple)<br />tu _______	tu pourras
pouvoir (futur simple)<br />il _______	il pourra
pouvoir (futur simple)<br />nous _______	nous pourrons
pouvoir (futur simple)<br />vous _______	vous pourrez
pouvoir (futur simple)<br />ils _______	ils pourront
Requirements:
This is the part where I'm totally clueless, but I think the best format would be a web app or widget, so that the user just enters what they want and receives the .txt file. It would also be easy to share with other students/teachers. But just as long as I can make my flashcards, I'll be delighted!

Reward:
My love letters to you will be properly conjugated in the language of love :heysexy:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Hey greazeball, I've sent a PM regarding your little flash card file maker. Using it as a little project to learn me some Ruby.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Just posting to say that Maluco Marinero is the fuckin man!

He's delivered a script I can run in a linux shell that does everything I need!

Thanks again, mate!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I need a tiny custom app that will create a file whenever system audio devices change on Win7 (and Win8 if Win8 isn't too different from Win7). To avoid the x-y problem, I'll describe its purpose.

I'm writing an application that helps users control and manage their audio devices. I don't know C++ Windows programming, and while I will eventually take the time to learn it, I can't right now. I'm not sure which language and/or IPC mechanism I will be using in the future, and since device changes happen relatively rarely I think the lowest common denominator IPC mechanism, namely, file-based, will work fine.

I assume you'll want to use Device Events to implement this. I guess a small exe that you can pass a file name to write to will work great. I can already read device states, so just creating the file will be sufficient, because when it exists I will read the device states myself and then delete the IPC file.

If I can have the source as well as compiled exe's for 32 bit and 64 bit that's cool. I can probably compile it myself if it's too much trouble.

If someone who knows what they're doing can tell me if this is more than a tiny app, that's cool too.

edit: I just realized writing/reading from stdin/stdout would be workable too, so whichever is easier.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Hi there,

Basically, I want to do something like Nate Silver.

I'd like an app (standalone or web based) similar to 270towin except it It uses voter registration numbers. I'd like to be able to edit it myself as election polls come in, and I'd also like to have the option to sort it out by race and %'s supporting people by state.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to look for this, but I'm really just looking to do thing for goons in D&D who are upset at how Nate Silver sold out to the NYT

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

I'm not sure if this is tiny, but am willing to pay however much it costs a dev to make this.

I make web applications and want to be able to distribute them in .EXE format, using the webkit engine. What I imagine, is a folder (engine) that contains a modified (or maybe not) recent chrome engine (css3, html5), a folder (www) that contains some HTML files (a webapp / offline site) and an executable that loads in a window or fullscreen /www/index.html. I also imagine a config file (somewhere) where I can specify the path (maybe even point to an online [url]http://[/url] resource), the width and height of the window and if it's fullscreen (kiosk) or not.

If it's not fullscreen, and this is where it may be tricky (impossible?) is to strip out the toolbars and tabs of Chrome and just have a titlebar, and that's it. You can't navigate elsewhere - it just opens the address that is specified in a config file.

I've been able to do this (sort of) with Adobe AIR 3.0 which uses webkit but doesn't support HTML5 (audio, video) and some CSS3.

I think either the dev will have to re-build webkit (stripping out / hiding the toolbars and forcing the location) or maybe create a small application (windowed, fullscreen, etc) that uses a webkit webview inside it (.NET or Python or something maybe?). The very best would be to have support for mac (.app) and windows (.exe), although this may be very complicated ?

For the moment I use a ChromePortable with it's config file pointing to a folder and launching with --kiosk. It works good but I can't have a windowed mode (without toolbars, etc) and it doesn't exist on mac.

If anyone one is interested in this project please say so, as I said I am willing to pay (hourly or global sum). If this isn't "tiny" sorry for posting it here.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

quote:

If it's not fullscreen, and this is where it may be tricky (impossible?) is to strip out the toolbars and tabs of Chrome and just have a titlebar, and that's it. You can't navigate elsewhere - it just opens the address that is specified in a config file.

WebKit is just the rendering/layout engine; stuff like the address bar and menu bar is added by Chrome (or whatever browser is using WebKit), it's not part of WebKit itself.

I think this would be pretty simple to do but I haven't really looked at the WebKit API and I'm not sure how complicated it is to use. I may take a look at it and report back.

E: :suicide:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 15, 2012

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

foundtomorrow posted:

Hey guys, quick request for some direction on a tiny app. that was made by Hoborg for me a while back

Mmmm, yes dear?

foundtomorrow posted:

I have researched the HTML Agility Pack that Hoborg used in this tiny app. and I think I can change the program enough to do this new task I'd like the program to do, but the problem is that I can't use the source code provided by Hoborg to re-build the .exe and check my changes. The source includes 5 different .cs files (MainForm, Monitor, MonitorForm, MonitorItem, and Program), and each file also has two others that go along with it with the extentions .designer.cs and .resx.

Actually, only the forms (MainForm and MonitorForm) come with .designer.cs and .resx files.

foundtomorrow posted:

I have Visual Studio 2010 Pro. and have used it for some VB .Net programming and other small programming things, and I've always had some sort of "Solution" file that helps everything stay organized.

I just looked at the zip file I uploaded - you're right, for some reason it's missing the *.sln file and the .csproj file. How bizarre. I must have forgotten to add them to the zip.

foundtomorrow posted:

If I could figure out how to load Hoborg's individual .cs source code into a visual studio project and then compile it into a new .exe, I might be able to make the small change to the C# that I need. Can someone tell me how to do that? I've never compiled .cs into an .exe.

File > New > Project from Existing Code > "Visual C#" / Project Type: Windows Forms

Then choose the existing files you've got, add an assembly reference to HtmlAgilityPack, and you're all set.

foundtomorrow posted:

The modification i am going to attempt is:
I'd like the program to watch a specific place on the webpage for it to check for a number, and then email if the number reaches a given threshold. For example, there's a number on webpage saying how many comments have been posted, and I would like to monitor that number on that exact webpage URL I input and email me when the number exceeds 1000.

Possible?

Yep.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Yossarko posted:

I'm not sure if this is tiny, but am willing to pay however much it costs a dev to make this.

:20bux: :swoon:

Yossarko posted:

I make web applications and want to be able to distribute them in .EXE format, using the webkit engine. What I imagine, is a folder (engine) that contains a modified (or maybe not) recent chrome engine (css3, html5), a folder (www) that contains some HTML files (a webapp / offline site) and an executable that loads in a window or fullscreen /www/index.html. I also imagine a config file (somewhere) where I can specify the path (maybe even point to an online [url]http://[/url] resource), the width and height of the window and if it's fullscreen (kiosk) or not.

By "web application" I assume you're referring to self-contained HTML+JS applications that don't make use of any local system resources (filesystem, etc) nor any backend logic (PHP/ASP.NET/CGI/etc), unless this is a client-side "frontend" UI that makes AJAX calls to some web-service?

...because it's not like a PHP website can be easily packaged-up to run on a local computer (it can be done, it just isn't pretty).

Yossarko posted:

Y'know, back in the late-1990s, Microsoft solved this problem with their "HTA" (Hypertext Application) file format, it was pretty cool, but one of the many good things they've done that everyone subsequently forgot about. However I don't think this would be appropriate as you say you're using WebKit, which implies you're making use of features not present in Trident.

Yossarko posted:

I've been able to do this (sort of) with Adobe AIR 3.0 which uses webkit but doesn't support HTML5 (audio, video) and some CSS3.

Adobe AIR is a platform on death-row - it has no long-term future. I predict within 2 years Adobe will silently kill it off.

Yossarko posted:

I think either the dev will have to re-build webkit (stripping out / hiding the toolbars and forcing the location) or maybe create a small application (windowed, fullscreen, etc) that uses a webkit webview inside it (.NET or Python or something maybe?). The very best would be to have support for mac (.app) and windows (.exe), although this may be very complicated ?

Whoa, whoa - let's break it down a little:

WebKit itself is just an engine - it's useless without a host (Chrome, Safari, etc). Further compounding the issue is that WebKit, unlike Trident, does not come with a pretty first-party COM/whatever wrapper for easy embedding in arbitrary programs. WebKit itself is like a computer with the side-panel removed, because Chrome, for example, doesn't use WebKit's JavaScriptCore, but Google's own "V8", for example. Then there's the other stuff, like WebGL. I don't understand WebKit inside out - but it isn't as packageable as Trident is.

Part 2: there's no such thing as a cross-platform binary (Wine be damned). If you want both Mac and Windows support (without Wine or Mono) then you're going to need two separate executables - however that either could share the other's data files (i.e. the stored website). I don't know how you want that.

Yossarko posted:

For the moment I use a ChromePortable with it's config file pointing to a folder and launching with --kiosk. It works good but I can't have a windowed mode (without toolbars, etc) and it doesn't exist on mac.

If anyone one is interested in this project please say so, as I said I am willing to pay (hourly or global sum). If this isn't "tiny" sorry for posting it here.

Well, the best I can do for you is if I take the WebKit.NET project and build a .NET application (I don't have the time for native, sorry) which hosts WebKit and also contains the website files all in a single EXE file. I would also build a program that can generate these EXEs for you. The down-side is that you won't get non-Windows support.

The alternative for you, is to do a bit more research ;)

Chrome added support for kiosk mode on the Mac back in late March (well, specifically the Chromium builds), it's possible this feature hasn't bubbled up to the GA builds of Chrome yet - I suggest you download an experimental build of Chromium for the Mac and see if it works for you then.

Hoborg fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 16, 2012

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

Yossarko posted:

I might be able to do this for you quick, but it would be windows only, and restricted to whatever is in the Webkit.NET package, which might not have the full feature set of chrome (scores 99 on acid3, I checked, but no HTML5 video or audio, or font-face by the look of it). Unfortunately, there is no easy way to use the actual Chrome engine. Are you still interested just reply.

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Hoborg posted:

By "web application" I assume you're referring to self-contained HTML+JS applications that don't make use of any local system resources (filesystem, etc) nor any backend logic (PHP/ASP.NET/CGI/etc), unless this is a client-side "frontend" UI that makes AJAX calls to some web-service?
Yes, it is self-contained HTML+JS, no backend logic, the only AJAX calls are made between local files.

Hoborg posted:

...because it's not like a PHP website can be easily packaged-up to run on a local computer (it can be done, it just isn't pretty).
I have done this before using PHP 5.4's built in webserver, and using it with ChromePortable (opening 127.0.0.1:random-port) but this isn't really needed.

Hoborg posted:

Well, the best I can do for you is if I take the WebKit.NET project and build a .NET application (I don't have the time for native, sorry) which hosts WebKit and also contains the website files all in a single EXE file. I would also build a program that can generate these EXEs for you. The down-side is that you won't get non-Windows support.
That sounds good, but will this .NET webkit run HTML5 stuff (and video / audio ?).

Hoborg posted:

Chrome added support for kiosk mode on the Mac back in late March (well, specifically the Chromium builds), it's possible this feature hasn't bubbled up to the GA builds of Chrome yet - I suggest you download an experimental build of Chromium for the Mac and see if it works for you then.
OK, thanks, I'lll look into that for mac - but does a ChromePortable equiv exist for mac ? Might be complicated, especially if the user already has Chrome installed.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Yossarko posted:

will this .NET webkit run HTML5 stuff (and video / audio ?).

That... I don't know. I also haven't been able to find out even after 5 minutes of googling - there's no documentation about this on either WebKit.NET, WebKit or Chromium documentation websites, which is odd, because this is the sort of thing that might not be included in FOSS builds because of licensing issues, but at the same time developers would be quick to point-out any differences between FOSS and proprietary builds.

Yossarko posted:

OK, thanks, I'lll look into that for mac - but does a ChromePortable equiv exist for mac ? Might be complicated, especially if the user already has Chrome installed.

A quick google for "chrome portable mac" reveals a load of stuff, but some of it is old (2009-2010). But then again, a lot of Mac software is inherently portable (you can launch the *.app directly from a disk in most cases).

I don't have a Mac at hand, so I can't test these theories.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
This seems like something I should be able to do by default on Youtube but it seems impossible.

I'm on a slow computer so I have the default quality under HD resolution, which usually results in their "360p" playback. But if you go fullscreen, it bumps it up to 480p. I've found many a javascript solution to autoselect the 480p resolution when not fullscreen (like YousableTube) but this causes a problem with timestamped youtube links.

So if someone shares http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luOtzkhmrA0#t=15s, the javascript solutions will halt the 360p buffering, switch it to 480p, but it will lose the timestamp and start playing from zero seconds.

Is there a javascript solution to having 480p default so that it doesn't change resolution when going fullscreen but preserves timestamps so that links to specified segments are useful? Or, is there already an established solution to this problem that I just failed to find (which is easily possible)?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Ape Agitator posted:

Is there a javascript solution to having 480p default so that it doesn't change resolution when going fullscreen but preserves timestamps so that links to specified segments are useful? Or, is there already an established solution to this problem that I just failed to find (which is easily possible)?

Have you tried YousableTubeFix? I use it, and when I clicked that link the video loaded, switched to my preferred quality (720p), and then jumped to the timestamp in the url.

Edit: I just tried it with Youtube set to low quality and 480p as what the script adjusts it to, and it still worked.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 31, 2012

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Huh, I had Yousabletube installed and it wasn't preserving timestamps. Grabbed it fresh from userscripts and it's preserving just fine. Undoubtedly a problem on my end.

Thanks

Edit: I think I figured out where I was getting the problem. It was the combo of forcing 480p and also disabling autoplay which was causing it to reset the timecoded start. But I just upgraded to the May 30th version of YousabletubeFix and it's working fine with both 480p and Autoplay disabled. Thanks for the help!

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 1, 2012

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
Does anyone know of an app that can switch or toggle between different default sound output devices in Windows 7 with a hotkey? Preferably something that resides in the systray.

I've played around with AHK macros but they either cause the actual Sound Options control panel to appear or they don't immediately take effect.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
yes it's called soundswitch and was initially released in this thread by a moderator

e: I'm an idiot but still half-right!

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 8, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

yes it's called soundswitch and was initially released in this thread by a moderator
That's not the one I wrote. :-)

This is.

FWIW, I'm currently rewriting this. Major update that doesn't open the Sound Applet.

The reason it's hard to find a good utility that does this is that Microsoft doesn't have an API for doing this. They want all of this explicitly controlled by the user.

Recently, I figured out the private APIs that the sound applet uses, so I'm now able to spoof those and directly control the sound devices rather than just automating clicks in the sound applet.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 8, 2012

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Is making a duplicate file finder a little too large in scope for this thread?
Others exist and work, but the best one I can find gets an md5 from every single file under a directory instead of only getting the md5 of files that have matching file sizes in the first place. It takes an unnecessarily loooong time. Ironically, it has an option to ignore files with sizes below X.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hogburto posted:

Is making a duplicate file finder a little too large in scope for this thread?
Others exist and work, but the best one I can find gets an md5 from every single file under a directory instead of only getting the md5 of files that have matching file sizes in the first place. It takes an unnecessarily loooong time. Ironically, it has an option to ignore files with sizes below X.

What OS?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Windows, please. :)

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Hogburto posted:

Windows, please. :)

Enjoy.

http://bit.ly/MPeA6V

Sorry I beat you to it, ToxicFrog.

This program gathers all files then groups them by their size in bytes, then it computes the CRC-32 of files with the same length (CRC-32 is much faster than cryptographic hashes like MD5 or SHA). Finally, for each file with the same CRC-32 it compares the raw binary contents and when it spots the first difference it aborts and marks the files as being different.

The "Save Report" button is disabled because I didn't implement that feature yet.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hoborg posted:

Enjoy.

No worries, I decided to use this as an opportunity to learn Clojure and the .NET build process and got kind of bogged down in working around the fact that (file-seq) follows symlinks.

I may finish it anyways just for fun, though.

E: decided to prototype it in the JVM first, turns out File.canRead doesn't actually work :suicide:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 25, 2012

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Hoborg posted:

Enjoy.

This program gathers all files then groups them by their size in bytes, then it computes the CRC-32 of files with the same length (CRC-32 is much faster than cryptographic hashes like MD5 or SHA). Finally, for each file with the same CRC-32 it compares the raw binary contents and when it spots the first difference it aborts and marks the files as being different.

The "Save Report" button is disabled because I didn't implement that feature yet.
The description in the titlebar is hilarious! And ho-ly crap it is faster than what I was using before (or what everyone was using before for effectively finding duplicates on Windows as far as I know). As in orders of magnitude faster. I can't wait to try this on the a 2TB external tomorrow as that experience was not quite pleasant with previous tools.

Thanks man. This is really slick.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Hoborg posted:

Enjoy.

Two request/suggestions:

- The ability to open the files listed (in the default program)
- The ability to choose which duplicate(s) get deleted

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

m2pt5 posted:

Two request/suggestions:

- The ability to open the files listed (in the default program)
- The ability to choose which duplicate(s) get deleted

Redownload it from the same link. The titlebar should now read "Super Turbo Edition" so you know you've got the new version.

* Added the report
* Results show file size and last-modified date/time
* Columns automatically resize to fit content
* Open files by double-clicking or selecting and clicking the "Open Selected" button
* You can delete selected files (careful you don't select all files in a set, you'll want to keep at least one file per set).

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Looking for a program to help at my family business. We are a gun store, and need to fill out a special form whenever a person buys more than one handgun within five days. So far, what we do is have a piece of paper for each day and we write each persons name down in a list. Each day we compare the names of the list to the previous 5 days to see if any of the names match up.

Basically I'm looking to speed up this process and would like a program where I can type in all the names at the end of the day and have the program search through the previous 5 days to see if any of the names match up. In my head this sounds like an easy program, but I'm not a programmer so I don't know. In the program we would input first, middle and last name so that there are no false positives.

We run Windows 7, 64-bit.

Another optional thing that might be nice, is if there was a search function where we could search for a persons name, and it would return any dates when a handgun was purchased. It would never delete the names, so that years down the line I could search for specific names and see the exact dates they purchased a handgun(This will help with police reports).

Could this be done easily? It sure would help with this tedious daily task. If it's hard to do, I would even pay to have it done if need be.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

UglyCrackBaby posted:

Looking for a program to help at my family business.
People might not feel comfortable making something so sensitive, especially without getting some sort of waiver signed. For example, what if it seems to work fine in testing but somehow starts corrupting names that are 4 days old?

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Seven Round Things posted:

People might not feel comfortable making something so sensitive, especially without getting some sort of waiver signed. For example, what if it seems to work fine in testing but somehow starts corrupting names that are 4 days old?

I could sign a waiver if needed. Maybe the file/database it stores the names in could be in plain text. That way I could check occasionally to make sure the names aren't corrupted.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

UglyCrackBaby posted:

Looking for a program to help at my family business. We are a gun store, and need to fill out a special form whenever a person buys more than one handgun within five days. So far, what we do is have a piece of paper for each day and we write each persons name down in a list. Each day we compare the names of the list to the previous 5 days to see if any of the names match up.

Basically I'm looking to speed up this process and would like a program where I can type in all the names at the end of the day and have the program search through the previous 5 days to see if any of the names match up. In my head this sounds like an easy program, but I'm not a programmer so I don't know. In the program we would input first, middle and last name so that there are no false positives.

We run Windows 7, 64-bit.

Another optional thing that might be nice, is if there was a search function where we could search for a persons name, and it would return any dates when a handgun was purchased. It would never delete the names, so that years down the line I could search for specific names and see the exact dates they purchased a handgun(This will help with police reports).

Could this be done easily? It sure would help with this tedious daily task. If it's hard to do, I would even pay to have it done if need be.

Sounds like something that could be done in Access honestly. Just create an entry form and a query button to return results over the previous 5 days that match a search criteria.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

LLJKSiLk posted:

Sounds like something that could be done in Access honestly. Just create an entry form and a query button to return results over the previous 5 days that match a search criteria.

Not sure I know how to get that done. Never used Access.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

UglyCrackBaby posted:

Not sure I know how to get that done. Never used Access.

You already have to fill out a form (paper I'm assuming) right? How much duplicate data entry do you want? Just a name and purchase date? Serial # of the firearm? Type of firearm?

Put some thought into how much you want to capture.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Since I have not done any java programming in the better half of a decade, I figured I would put this out there.

What I am looking for is a little stand alone app that can run on Ubuntu 12.04 that when double clicked, will open a small window with with a pre-set message (legal notice), then have three text boxes. One for user name, password and PC name. Once those fields are populated and they press the login button, it will launch rdesktop from command line with those values added to the correct switches.

Since nothing will be stored, I don't think there should be any security issues with it, but if there are, someone please let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

LLJKSiLk posted:

You already have to fill out a form (paper I'm assuming) right? How much duplicate data entry do you want? Just a name and purchase date? Serial # of the firearm? Type of firearm?

Put some thought into how much you want to capture.

Yes, the customer fills out a form for the background check. We then rewrite that info into our bound-books.

For the program, just the full name and purchase date would be required. From the purchase date and name I can always go into the bound book for more information. The main problem now, is finding the date in the first place.

As it is now, if I need to find a name with no date associated. I need to go through paperwork manually for YEARS of information.

• Locked thread