Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Misogynist posted:

Arson is a pretty bitchin' song to grab for $1 off iTunes, though.

Pursuit of Vikings has thunderbattle written all over it too. It's one of my favorite Amon Amarth tunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Nordick posted:

Yes, it does. It's simultaneously loving badass (because it's Amon Amarth) and loving beautiful and tragic. The last lines of lyrics just make me well up like a bitch.

Exactly. I think that's the thing I like most about Amon Amarth. I don't know how he does it, but Hegg can impart a lot of emotion with his growls so that songs about drowning or laying dying with a spear in your back are simultaneously :black101: and tragic.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nordick posted:

Hey, I don't see how Death in Fire being my favourite track off the album would somehow stop me from loving the rest to bits as well.

I didn't mean to imply that, just that it's a loving awesome song.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
My Amon Amart recommendation is to just take one song and put it on repeat and then spend your money on other albums that don't all sound the same.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

So to continue this, if I like the last 5 albums by Amon Amarth what other sorts of music should I get into. I don't really listen to any other growling bands, but something about them just clicks 100% with me. I'm otherwise a huge fan of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, which aren't exactly the same sort of music.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gils posted:

So to continue this, if I like the last 5 albums by Amon Amarth what other sorts of music should I get into. I don't really listen to any other growling bands, but something about them just clicks 100% with me. I'm otherwise a huge fan of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, which aren't exactly the same sort of music.

Amon Amarth, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest were also some of the first metal bands I got into. If you want all of the galloping of Maiden, some viking bullshit, excellent melodic sense and tolerable harsh vocals look no further than Ensiferum. They were one of the first bands to ease me into the Scandinavian metal scene and to get me to appreciate harsh black metal-style vocals. Their first two albums are my favourite, but honestly all of their output is pretty good.

Also, this is the best bonus track around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2eoXrHEE8c

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 23, 2012

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

Gils posted:

Aesthetically, no, but musically Amon Amarth's later ablums are very similar to Judas Priest. I'd checkout other melodic/NWOBHMish death metal bands like later Death, later Unleashed, and later Carcass. You might also want to check out some power metal more that uses heavier vocals side like 3 Inches of Blood or Ensiferum.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

SgtScruffy posted:

Good. When I saw them a few years ago, they didn't play anything off of Mindcrime, and only played one thing off Empire :colbert:

How was the show? The setlist looks pretty amazing:

(Spoilered because Iron Maiden tends to play the same set every night, and the last time I posted a spoilered setlist everyone yelled at me so be nice :( )

Doctor Doctor
(UFO song)
Moonchild
Can I Play With Madness
The Prisoner
(First time played live since September 21, 1991)
2 Minutes to Midnight
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
(First time played live since December 12, 1998)
The Trooper
The Number of the Beast
Phantom of the Opera
Run to the Hills
Wasted Years
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
(First time played live since December 12, 1988)
The Clairvoyant
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden
Encore:
Churchill's Speech
Aces High
The Evil That Men Do
Running Free
Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
(Monty Python song)

Also, how is Alice Cooper these days? Does he still do the ridiculous over-the-top stage show that he used to do, or did that end in the 80s?

That setlist looks amazing. I saw them 2 years and they mostly played stuff from their most recent albums, which I'm not really familiar with and don't care about. Still was cool to see 50 year old dudes running around like they did

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Weaponized Cum posted:

Anyone going to the Death to All tour in Orlando, FL? My older brother and I are thinking about going, should be a great show for $30.

I am! Say hi, I have blonde-y hair and I'm short. I'll probably be wearing a cool DM shirt. :P

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

thepitgoddess posted:

I am! Say hi, I have blonde-y hair and I'm short. I'll probably be wearing a cool DM shirt. :P

This is quite possibly the least specific description of a person I've ever read.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The trick is the "cool DM shirt" part

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Bertrand Hustle posted:

This is quite possibly the least specific description of a person I've ever read.
Yeah I was thinking I see a dozen of those at any given show

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Nordick posted:

Yes, it does. It's simultaneously loving badass (because it's Amon Amarth) and loving beautiful and tragic. The last lines of lyrics just make me well up like a bitch.

For me that song is Fate of the Norns.

... was going to quote / spoiler a few lines, but its the whole drat song. gently caress.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Just ask all the short blonde girls if they're the pit goddess. It'll work.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Fine, I'll be wearing either a Morbid Angel Blessed are the Sick shirt or BoltThrower shirt. I'm pretty generic looking. No visible tattoos or piercings or anything.

E- And since it's Orlando, I'll be one of a handful of short blonde ladies under the age of 30. And I look about 16 (I am not 16).

thepitgoddess fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 23, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Just ask all the short blonde girls if they're the pit goddess. It'll work.
That actually sounds like a pretty good pickup line. Gotta try that sometime.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

Morbid Florist posted:

I think Fate of Norns is their only poo poo album. There's no reason not to have the rest of their stuff.

It's the only album where all the members recorded their tracks individually, without any of the other band members in the studio. You probably picked up on that, somehow. They've said they won't ever be doing that again.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Two years ago at Metaltown Hegg said that they'd been called "old and tired" after their last gig and then proceeded to blow the whole festival to pieces.

I can't not love Amon Amarth.

The Sound of Eight Hooves is such a badass song.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Amon Amarth loving sucks.

(ok, Once Sent From The Golden Hall is good, that's it)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sorry you hate fun, man.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Gils posted:

What are your feelings on vocals that are more shouty than growly?

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Lord Purple posted:

Aesthetically, no, but musically Amon Amarth's later ablums are very similar to Judas Priest. I'd checkout other melodic/NWOBHMish death metal bands like later Death, later Unleashed, and later Carcass. You might also want to check out some power metal more that uses heavier vocals side like 3 Inches of Blood or Ensiferum.

Trees and Squids posted:

Amon Amarth, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest were also some of the first metal bands I got into. If you want all of the galloping of Maiden, some viking bullshit, excellent melodic sense and tolerable harsh vocals look no further than Ensiferum. They were one of the first bands to ease me into the Scandinavian metal scene and to get me to appreciate harsh black metal-style vocals. Their first two albums are my favourite, but honestly all of their output is pretty good.

Also, this is the best bonus track around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2eoXrHEE8c

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to check some of these out a little.

MrBling posted:

What are your feelings on vocals that are more shouty than growly?

No idea, what do shouty vocals sound like? :v:

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Gils posted:

Get yourself acquainted with Gorefest, pronto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUHH3mNfHhs

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Weaponized Cum posted:

Amon Amarth loving sucks.

(ok, Once Sent From The Golden Hall is good, that's it)

What is this blasphemy.

How does Versus the World and Death in Fire NOT pump you the gently caress up?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Next he'll tell us there's no such thing as good beer and that comfy shoes are for posers.

Saint Jimmy
Jul 5, 2006

So Metallica is about to do Ride the Lightning beginning to end, watch here: https://www.youtube.com/fuse (official fusetv stream)

That's pretty loving metal.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

What is this blasphemy.

How does Versus the World and Death in Fire NOT pump you the gently caress up?

Because if I wanna summon Odin I listen to Unleashed instead of Baby's First Metal Band

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Saint Jimmy posted:

So Metallica is about to do Ride the Lightning beginning to end, watch here: https://www.youtube.com/fuse (official fusetv stream)

That's pretty loving metal.

look at all those dads

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I hope I'm still having that much fun when I'm old as gently caress and past my prime.

And they are killing it so far.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
it owned when he asked the crowd to sing part of the four horsemen and nobody knew it because they dont play that song on 103.1 FM HOME OF THE ROCK

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

nerve posted:

it owned when he asked the crowd to sing part of the four horsemen and nobody knew it because they dont play that song on 103.1 FM HOME OF THE ROCK

Hey, it's a big place without many microphones.

But it's true, there was like 5 guys singing along. Ah well their loss.

EDIT: Lol, they dubbed over Dave Mustaine's part in that interview.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 24, 2012

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
wait what are they going backwards? why?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

nuncle jimbo posted:

Probably want to end with Fight Fire with Fire as a mini-finale.

And I never got why James hated escape so much. I like the song even if it was obviously an attempt to get a radio friendly single out because of producer pressure.

It's sad to see that James's voice is having trouble with this stuff but I guess that's nothing new. He just can't reach the high notes that he sang the pre-Justice albums with anymore.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 24, 2012

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl
Had no idea this was being streamed. Thanks!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Lars never fails to look ridiculous. I know they're all old but he looks geriatric.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

nuncle jimbo posted:

They did the same thing when they played the Black Album all the way through, Lars said some mess about starting with lesser known songs from the end and ending the show with the ones everyone knows. I imagine with Ride they thought "well, why not do it again?"

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Gils posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0e77y6zgmg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdL-wNwXPCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHrVaajd-zk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oLSfyFVfEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci5cipImWvs

Stuff like that. Kinda hoarse shouty vocals rather than deep bassy growls.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 24, 2012

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Still waiting on word from Darkspace

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
My favorite "shouty" band right now has to be Black Breath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i42ffpQFHZY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Has anybody here listened to Luca Turilli's Rhapsody "debut" album, Ascending to Infinity?

It's actually pretty good... although I still can't get my head around the name and font.