Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

Best bet is to upload it to YouTube with a non-serchable name and hope that the WWE doesn't auto-detect something within it and block it.

I can assure you from personal experience that you won't get flagged for any of those ppv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Oatgan posted:

I can assure you from personal experience that you won't get flagged for any of those ppv

Just to be safe upload it with a name nobody will want to see like Hulkamatt Sex Tape.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
You guys don't know about the 2000/2001 Bash at the Beach search algorithm?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Youtube content filtering can detect that loving logo on the canvas.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Youtube content filtering can detect that loving logo on the canvas.

I guess that's why some people flip the video? I guess mirroring the image helps to get past that filtering.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Phenix Rising posted:

I guess that's why some people flip the video? I guess mirroring the image helps to get past that filtering.

How else will I know what Jeff Jarrett's shirt says? I CAN'T READ BACKWARDS

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Jelq the Sanem posted:

oWn?!? What the hell is that?!

Oh right, the one warrior nation. Carry on

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Jelq the Sanem posted:

STUN PALS

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

Jelq the Sanem posted:

OMG HIS NAME IS KILLER!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I love the photos WWE pulls out of the archives for stuff like this

http://www.wwe.com/classics/the-most-absurd-champions-ever/page-3

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

triplexpac posted:

oWn?!? What the hell is that?!

Oh right, the one warrior nation. Carry on
I just imagined an alternate universe where WCW's big game changing angle was that and the nWo only lasted a month.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Perigryn posted:

I just imagined an alternate universe where WCW's big game changing angle was that and the nWo only lasted a month.

This alternate universe where Warrior rapes every heel and makes them his slave while the crowd cheers in support is not so different from our own universe.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

This alternate universe where Warrior rapes every heel and makes them his slave while the crowd cheers in support is not so different from our own universe.

Their John Cena escaped to our universe to make it big with that gimmick and our universe's Cena was actually Darren Young.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
From the 5/8/95 Observer.

quote:

WCW breathed a major sigh of relief because those in the company were scared its own house would be investigated and those within knew full well what even a small look at their steroid policy would reveal. Both Eric Bischoff and Vince McMahon had refused interviews for the piece. However, WCW officials were mad at their own internal screw-up which caused clips of almost nothing but Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage to be all over the piece. SI had asked for footage of Gilbert, and since the company had no economic incentive to send footage of Gilbert to Sports Illustrated, they wouldn't release the footage. Instead they sent nothing but clips of Hogan and Savage. By failing to put one-and-one together, the footage of Hogan wound up all over a story about steroids in wrestling. Alex Marvez' column in the Miami Herald included an unattributed quote to a WCW wrestler who said most of the performers in the company were using steroids.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
WCW is the gift that keeps on giving. The stories of their stupidity just keep coming

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRayPer posted:

From the 5/8/95 Observer.

Holy Christ.

"Hey we're doing a story on a wrestler accused of doing steroids, can you send us photos of him?"
"No that would be dumb, have some pictures of our two biggest stars for your steroids story instead."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bonus quotes: DAVE MELTZER IS SKEPTICAL!

quote:

Hulk Hogan is opening a Pastamania restaurant at the Mall of America in Minneapolis on 6/15. This is supposed to be the initial in what they are trying to turn into a franchise. They are negotiating leases in Baltimore and Philadelphia and plan to open five restaurants this year and another 25 more in 1996. The company plans on introducing Hulk Hogan Pasta and sauces for supermarket distribution this summer. Now that's a product that sounds like a winner.

And as we inch closer to the firing of the biggest draw in wrestling history...

quote:

An update on the Austin situation. A few weeks back when he left Center Stage where he was scheduled to do another job for Sting, it was because his daughter (not son as reported here) was legitimately quite ill and she was hospitalized for a few days. He definitely didn't make up an excuse that night.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Love these back issues. Have the rumblings of Nitro started yet?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jack Krauser posted:

Love these back issues. Have the rumblings of Nitro started yet?

Not yet unless I've missed something in the last couple issues. We are 4 months away and Bischoff would just be getting back from Korea which probably pre-occupied his time in the weeks prior to this issue. I imagine that will start coming out in the next month though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRayPer posted:

Bonus quotes: DAVE MELTZER IS SKEPTICAL!

And as we inch closer to the firing of the biggest draw in wrestling history...

He's listed in a tour for Japan, is this the tour he gets injured?

edit: It's also great how Dave thought Paul Leveque (Spellings varied in the old observers) would be a superstar.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So what were the main television outlets for WCW before Nitro started? I'm guessing... Saturday Night, Worldwide and pro? Were the latter two still treated like job fests as they were later int he companies run?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Astro7x posted:

So what were the main television outlets for WCW before Nitro started? I'm guessing... Saturday Night, Worldwide and pro? Were the latter two still treated like job fests as they were later int he companies run?

There was also Main Event. Worldwide was halfway between what it used to be (a legitimate show) and the Saturday morning filler it became. It would sometimes have real matches that meant something, but not really. Main Event was often a lead in to PPVs and I have no idea what Pro was like. I love the Observer back issues but I can't bring myself to care and read through the results for that.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

quote:

The Randy Savage heel turn is now scheduled for around the spring of 1996.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

you know outside of mongo and scott norton, once the NWO angle began to start up, almost nobody did heel turns for that spring/summer, and even norton joined the NWO by years end.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
We focus a lot on the fun and idiocy of latter day WCW because it was such an impressive tailspin of suck, but let us not forget how bad WCW was in the early '90s as well. Here's a fun quote from Jim Cornette about the Beach Blash mini-movie (from the Observer):

quote:

Amidst the phone messages from some long-time fans who vowed this show marked the end of their interest in wrestling, and/or WCW, the calls to wrestling radio shows over the weekend, and messages from those in the business who couldn't believe how unwatchable the entire Saturday night television show had become, was one by Jim Cornette who begged to be quoted regarding said skit.

"Three of the wrestlers who comprise the wrestling talent in that thing I have the highest respect for their work and think they're fantastic, but anybody that would take part in this thing for any price or for any contract is crazy. Anybody responsible for that f---ing abomination should not only be shot but be forced to watch that abomination over and over again until they puke up their toenails before being shot. And they wonder why they can't do any business? I think everyone involved should suffer the most horrible painful death possible because of the money they're taking out of all our pockets who are trying to preserve this business that is rapidly going down the tubes.”

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
WCW World Tag Team Champions The Steiner Brothers (Rick and Scott) fought The Miracle Violence Connection (Terry Gordy and Steve Williams) to a time-limit draw (30:00)

What the gently caress is this main event? The card from Beach Blast 1 also features Raven v Pillman for 17 minutes and a Steamboat v Rude 30 minute Iron Man match. Can anyone tell me how these 3 matches are?

This is also no the Beach Blast with the movie for anyone who cares.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

The American Dream posted:

WCW World Tag Team Champions The Steiner Brothers (Rick and Scott) fought The Miracle Violence Connection (Terry Gordy and Steve Williams) to a time-limit draw (30:00)

What the gently caress is this main event? The card from Beach Blast 1 also features Raven v Pillman for 17 minutes and a Steamboat v Rude 30 minute Iron Man match. Can anyone tell me how these 3 matches are?

Pillman/Flamingo is pretty boring if I remember correctly. Steamboat/Rude is fun but not great. MVC and Steiners had better matches, but it was still good. But Cactus v. Sting falls count anywhere is one of both of those guys best matches. It's a solid show for the most part. With a lot of non-title matches for some reason.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Tato posted:

We focus a lot on the fun and idiocy of latter day WCW because it was such an impressive tailspin of suck, but let us not forget how bad WCW was in the early '90s as well. Here's a fun quote from Jim Cornette about the Beach Blash mini-movie (from the Observer):

Jesus, Cornette is a wrathful person sometimes.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

What the gently caress is this main event?

The Steiners vs MVC was a huge deal. This match was to setup MVC winning the WCW titles two weeks later in Atlanta.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tato posted:

This is the mini-movie with the midget that has a shark fin strapped to him, right.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

The Steiners were one of the bigger acts in the promotion and Williams and Gordy were brought in with a ridiculously huge push because of Bill Watts, who had given both huge pushes years earlier as singles in the UWF, unifying the WCW and NWA tag titles quickly upon arrival. This was also considered an interpromotional dream feud because Williams and Gordy has been the top tag team in All Japan for a few years, while the Steiners were the top tag team in both WCW and New Japan. When the Watts regime quickly washed out, all four left the promotion, but at the time that was pretty much the lead feud in the company.

All three matches were very good.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i miss the days tag teams were a draw :(

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BAN DICKEYE posted:

Beer Money/MCMG was only like a year ago. That was nice.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

BAN DICKEYE posted:

Watching 1996 Nitros, right around when the NWO started, WCW had a tag team division of:

Steiners
Harlem Heat
Road Warriors
Rock and Roll Express
Public Enemy
Nasty Boys
Horsemen (Benoit/Anderson at this time)
Faces of Fear
Other random Kevin Sullivan tag teams from the dungeon of doom.
And after all of this, the Outsiders.

Not all of them were amazing to watch, but at least they could throw out different matches every single week.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Beer Money/MCMG was only like a year ago. That was nice.

Matches that drew zero money.

Another leg in the journey to Austin being fired:

quote:

Behind the scenes the biggest story involved a four-day long soap opera involving Steve Austin (Steve Williams) and The Renegade (Rick Williams). Before the tapings, WCW received a cease and desist order from Titan Sports claiming the character Renegade was a trademark infringement on their own developed character of the Ultimate Warrior. While that's an open-and-shut case, the timing of it was curious since the same case could be made about Hunter Hearst Helmsley being nearly completely lifted from the WCW character of Lord Steven Regal just a few weeks later. Can you imagine if this actually went to court? Titan's attorneys would argue that they developed the intellectual character of a no-talent steroid freak who can't work a lick, paints his face, blows up in 30 seconds, runs around like he's spastic, shakes the ropes and does unintelligible interviews and by gosh, judge, they're copying our ideas and we want damages. The judge would probably rule in favor of Titan and say the damages are worth 50 cents. Next thing you know Vader and Bam Bam Bigelow will go to court against each other claiming they're stealing each others' fat man moves and gimmick.

Renegade was told by WCW that he couldn't shake the ropes any longer and they did away with the tassels around his arms and made some minor clothing adjustments. Then they wanted him to pin Austin in about 10:00. That's where the problem came in.

It started on Wednesday. Austin refused to do the job for Renegade. When the dust settled, it appeared to have been a dead issue. Austin became something of a hero at least to some, if not many in the dressing room, particularly those around for any length of time. Many are tired of newcomers, some of whom had no talent, that are either ex-WWF characters past their prime or copies of such, beating and burying those who had been around for years but had been shoved aside just as they were entering their wrestling prime. The argument was wrestlers like Austin, Brian Pillman, Johnny B. Badd, Steve Regal and others represented a system that failed and had been around too long to do much with them. It was frustrating on both ends. The first three are all making $200,000+ annually on guaranteed contracts but aren't even in a significant position. With the exception of Regal, who has been put in a tag team program with Bobby Eaton, the other three, who were supposed to be the future of the company three years ago, are making a lot of money and getting no push.

Austin was branded as colorless. Badd was told to tone down his ring entrances. Pillman was going to be the star of the cruiserweight division that never seems to get off the ground. Blame was placed in many circles on the older wrestlers who were in power for holding back the newcomers so they could keep the top spots for themselves or their friends. Nobody could even figure out who wanted Austin to do a job for Renegade since the buck was being passed and people were told that the booker, Ric Flair, was incommunicado because his hotel in North Korea was being bugged, forgetting that many could read a calendar and realized Flair had left North Korea several days earlier.

Finally, after returning from the Fukuoka Dome show, Flair arrived in Disney on Saturday, and he and Anderson spent a long time attempting to convince Austin to do the job. Austin refused and wound up walking out. Supposedly Anderson told him that what Austin had to do wasn't that bad because Anderson himself at the June PPV was going to do a job for Renegade in 30 seconds, I suspect for the TV title although that wasn't made definite to me (similar to the Ultimate Warrior-Honkytonk Man gimmick in the IC title match several years ago since Renegade is supposed to be Ultimate Warrior). Flair naturally brought up all the jobs he's done during his career for guys just as bad. Well, maybe almost as bad. Austin had made up his mind and Tex Slazenger wound up taking his place in the match which was called totally unairable and worse than the Sid Vicious-Night Stalker Clash match in 1990 or any other match in company history, which covers significant ground. Supposedly by the two minute mark, several of the vets, frustrated themselves, were on the floor laughing as Renegade threw limp looking punches and somehow brought Slazenger down to his level. At press time nobody knew exactly what Austin's future was with the company although he had not quit nor been fired and met with Eric Bischoff on Monday and seemed to end up with everything cleared up. There was a surprising amount of sentiment backing him as compared with most wrestlers who won't do a job and the general consensus is that he won't lose his job over it.

Earlier in the week at Disney, Renegade had been heavily tutored by Hulk Hogan, Jimmy Hart and Randy Savage to get through highly choreographed 30 second matches squashes which were passable, although apparently the attempt to have him do an interview building up to the TV title match with Arn Anderson in June with Hart as his manager took something like two dozen takes with his lines reduced from three sentences to a few grunts of "I want the belt."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

Matches that drew zero money.
TNA's biggest revenue source is television, and their matches were pretty highly rated, so I'm pretty sure that in modern terms, yes it did draw. It drew viewers, anyway.

But nobody's a draw but Sammartino anyway.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LividLiquid posted:

TNA's biggest revenue source is television, and their matches were pretty highly rated, so I'm pretty sure that in modern terms, yes it did draw. It drew viewers, anyway.

I thought Zack Ryder proved he could draw (with paper and a crayon).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

I'm not even going to pretend that I remember what the ratings for their matches are, but given the nature of TNA's TV ratings... yeah. TV ratings don't directly correlate with money for TNA so let's not even pretend this is the case. If either company could make tag teams a draw we'd see way more tag team wrestling in high places on the card instead of half hearted pushes or claims that tag team wrestling matters.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

LividLiquid posted:

Yo quit hating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MassRayPer posted:

I'm not even going to pretend that I remember what the ratings for their matches are, but given the nature of TNA's TV ratings... yeah. TV ratings don't directly correlate with money for TNA so let's not even pretend this is the case. If either company could make tag teams a draw we'd see way more tag team wrestling in high places on the card instead of half hearted pushes or claims that tag team wrestling matters.

A friend of mine is a big fan of tag team wrestling, and attended a Q&A session with Johnny Ace maybe 5ish years ago and he asked why the WWE tag team division was treated as a total afterthought (Poorly booked, thrown together tag teams, established teams losing to single wrestlers in handicap matches and so on), and Johnny Ace who was a dynamic dude and whose brother was in the goddamn road warriors basically goes "Tag team wrestling? Why would you want to watch that? Besides, it means we have to pay 4 air fares for one match instead of 2, that doesnt make sense!".

I remember because my mate was practically spitting blood when he recounted this as he viewed it as hypocritical and rear end backwards in his opinion (and I'm inclined to agree) tag team wrestling isnt a draw because its treated as an afterthought, rather that being treated as an afterthought because it isnt a draw. As an aside Ace had been similarly disparaging about the concept of managers (as opposed to valets) in wrestling, so my mate George was not happy all round, being a massive fan of tag team wrestling and a big mark for Jimmy Hart and Bobby Heenan.