Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The developer of Airpush Detector recommends you use Addons Detector. Find that app doing this, leave a negative 1-star review in the Play Store, then uninstall it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010
I registered for the Swype Beta, downloaded the Installer APK, but it won't let me install it. I can click cancel, but not install. Is there an option other than checking the Unknown Sources box that I am missing? VZW GNex on stock 4.0.4.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yo Eleven posted:

I registered for the Swype Beta, downloaded the Installer APK, but it won't let me install it. I can click cancel, but not install. Is there an option other than checking the Unknown Sources box that I am missing? VZW GNex on stock 4.0.4.
What do you mean by "an option other than checking Unknown Sources"? Like something you should have checked but haven't? No.

If you're asking if can get away with not checking Unknown Sources, then no, you can't.

What does it say when it fails? Does it just Force Close? It should be Log in > Download > Install > Enable > Select.

Wait are you saying you can't install the Installer? Make sure Unknown Sources is checked and click on it in a file browser, that's all there is to it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Yo Eleven posted:

Are you running ICS? If so you could take a screenshot (press and hold volume down + the power button) and post it, which might help.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

Are you running ICS? If so you could take a screenshot (press and hold volume down + the power button) and post it, which might help.

He's got a Galaxy Nexus so yes, he has Ice Cream Sandwich.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

LastInLine posted:

The developer of Airpush Detector recommends you use Addons Detector. Find that app doing this, leave a negative 1-star review in the Play Store, then uninstall it.

This, a thousand loving times. This kind of poo poo is just so terrible and has no place on anyone's phone.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Red Warrior posted:

The Verge are saying Flipboard has been officially released, not seeing it yet in the store though.

Now it's there:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flipboard.app

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Doing this when I get home today. I ran a check on my phone and nothing came up, so I guess I've got one or more apps on the tablet that aren't on the phone. V:shobon:V

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Just got a Galaxy Nexus a couple days ago. I was expecting it to just show up as a mass storage device when I plugged it in, but apparently on a Mac you need to use the Android File Transfer program. This program is horrible, and crashes about 50% of the time I start it. Then I'm lucky if a file will transfer over without an error. Is there some other way?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Lemons posted:

Just got a Galaxy Nexus a couple days ago. I was expecting it to just show up as a mass storage device when I plugged it in, but apparently on a Mac you need to use the Android File Transfer program. This program is horrible, and crashes about 50% of the time I start it. Then I'm lucky if a file will transfer over without an error. Is there some other way?

Guess you should have bought an iphone... Seriously though, it sucks that it doesn't work on Mac because it is awesome on the PC. I love being able to access the storage without having to unmount. Why doesn't the Mac have built-in support for the MTP protocol?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Lemons posted:

You might try XNJB, but I have no idea if it will work. The compatible devices link is broken, and the forums are a nightmare.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I'm surprised nobody's just made an app for ICS that mounts the SD card as a mass storage device over USB.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Lemons posted:

This program is horrible, and crashes about 50% of the time I start it. Then I'm lucky if a file will transfer over without an error. Is there some other way?

You can try AirDroid and numerous other share-stuff-over-wifi apps.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
For the most part, I like the new version of Swype Beta, but one thing is bugging me, not sure if it's more a problem with my phone or with Swype:

The keyboard seems slow to "go away." A couple of examples:
I send a text to someone, and hit home afterwards. The program exits and I'm at my homescreen, but Swype is on-screen for a good two seconds afterward. Similar thing happens when I search for something. I type it in in the search bar, hit enter, and I get my page of results, and the keyboard hangs around a second or two before going away.

Edit: I also like that hitting backspace deletes the whole word if you Swype-d it in (if you just type in in letter-by-letter it deletes letter-by-letter,) but it's going to take some getting used to...I'm used to having to backspace several times if I mess up a word, so I've ended up deleting almost whole sentences.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

I'm surprised nobody's just made an app for ICS that mounts the SD card as a mass storage device over USB.

My MIUIv4 Rom has this ability. Running 4.0.4

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Lemons posted:

That sucks that Mac doesn't support MTP natively, but you can sort of side step this by using something like Remote Web Desktop which will let you manage your files over wifi through a web browser.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I keep reading about Nike+ everywhere, but when I follow the market link, the page tells me that this item doesn't exist. Has it been pulled, or is this some regional thing and Google Play pretends it doesn't exist outside the US or something?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I keep reading about Nike+ everywhere, but when I follow the market link, the page tells me that this item doesn't exist. Has it been pulled, or is this some regional thing and Google Play pretends it doesn't exist outside the US or something?

At this risk of being Cpt. Obvious (I'm sure you've tried this) but does this link work?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nike.plusgps

Edit: nevermind. "when I follow the market link"

Reedin skilz. I somehow missed that.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

DrBouvenstein posted:

For the most part, I like the new version of Swype Beta, but one thing is bugging me, not sure if it's more a problem with my phone or with Swype:

The keyboard seems slow to "go away." A couple of examples:
I send a text to someone, and hit home afterwards. The program exits and I'm at my homescreen, but Swype is on-screen for a good two seconds afterward. Similar thing happens when I search for something. I type it in in the search bar, hit enter, and I get my page of results, and the keyboard hangs around a second or two before going away.

Edit: I also like that hitting backspace deletes the whole word if you Swype-d it in (if you just type in in letter-by-letter it deletes letter-by-letter,) but it's going to take some getting used to...I'm used to having to backspace several times if I mess up a word, so I've ended up deleting almost whole sentences.

I'm experiencing the delayed fade out as well and it's annoying. I end up hitting the back button out of habit and while it makes the keyboard go away, I inadvertently trigger some unintended behavior because of how unpredictable the back button is. The main annoyance is when I get finished typing an IM on Google Talk and I want to switch to another chat window but the keyboard kinda lingers there.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Combat Pretzel posted:

The developer sets region availability. Go bitch at Nike.

Edit: vvvv or that

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 22, 2012

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The gently caress, now it works.

But apparently I wasn't alone. Some tech site's comment section had people complaining about a broken link, too.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
I just want to say that the latest official Google Reader app update finally fixed the long standing issue where your reader list would bounce around randomly as you marked things as read. I know thermoplye knows what I'm talking about. Finally!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jensen posted:

I just want to say that the latest official Google Reader app update finally fixed the long standing issue where your reader list would bounce around randomly as you marked things as read. I know thermoplye knows what I'm talking about. Finally!

Oh gently caress yeah. That's another thing that should be on my Google list of shame.

edit:

Thermopyle posted:

Let's make a list of the ways that Google sucks.

1. The app lists on the Google Play website are horrible. You get this big list of apps you've installed, with no way to filter them in any way, and it doesn't even list all of them! My app list only goes up to apps starting with the letter N.
  2. Google Music can't shuffle correctly and it's been almost a year without fixing it.
  3. Google Voice app has all sorts of irritating bugs. The app had two very minor updates this year to add minor features, and then the previous update was in September...of 2010.
  4. No tablet versions of major Google apps. [bull3964]
  5. No easily accessible built in back up and restore function to make switching phones painless. [bull3964] From what I understand, the worst part about this is that the facility is there, it just doesn't have a UI.
  6. No built in way to remote wipe your phone from your Google account. [bull3964]
  7. No MMS via Voice. [berzerker]
  8. Talk, Messenger, Hangouts, Voice...why the hell all these different things for real-time communication?
  9. Google Tasks is sucky and stagnant. [berzerker]
  10. Default MMS app can't handle iphones group messages. [Gyshall]
  11. Back button is behavior is too complicated. Sometimes it takes you back up a level in the app, sometimes back to the home screen...who knows what it's going to do?
  12. In general managing your account is a pain in a lot of ways. Can't change your Gmail account ortransfer your apps to another account.
  13. 95% of the time when you click a voicemail notification the transcript doesn't show up. You have to click the little Voice icon at the top to go back to the voicemail list (not the back button, since that will just take you out of the app), wait a second for it to sync, and then go back in to the voicemail.
  14. When scrolling through Google Reader app, the article list would jump all around whilst loading articles. The app was released in December, 2010. This showstopper bug was fixed in June, 2012.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 22, 2012

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Jensen posted:

They still haven't fixed the name changing from Reader to Google Reader when you restart the loving phone with the icon on your home screen though. :argh:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The shuffling has been an issue with the music player in Android since ever. I've had an issue filed about this with Android 2.x and their engineers kept claiming that it's working properly. Apparently they consider it acceptable that the same song can repeat after just two or three songs, if you're shuffling a list of 200 or so songs.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I think the ??MB filesize restriction on Market apps has finally, finally been lifted? Sonic CD just updated, and I noticed that instead of being a teeny-tiny Market app with a larger 'additional content' download, it's now a 262MB Wi-Fi download.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've gotta say, I tried Swiftkey X/3, and I find myself going back to Smart Keyboard Pro. The prediction engine may not be as powerful (apparently - it's still pretty drat good in my experience), but I'm a fairly precise typer and it's just so well-tweaked for the user experience. Little things, like if you hit space and it autocorrects, backspace will remove the space and revert the word, and striking space again after that won't invoke autocorrect. Or the option for the volume keys to control the cursor. It's just so... practical.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

spincube posted:

I think the ??MB filesize restriction on Market apps has finally, finally been lifted? Sonic CD just updated, and I noticed that instead of being a teeny-tiny Market app with a larger 'additional content' download, it's now a 262MB Wi-Fi download.

They can upload a 50mb APK along with up to 4GB(?) of "additional files"

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Has anyone had problems with the Spotify update? Ever since I updated to the new version, it will only play the first song on a list that I select, then it just stops. I have to manually hit the next track button. I've looked around the net and haven't found anyone talking about a similar problem since the update. I'm afraid it has something to do with the fact I'm on a beta ICS rom on my DX.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Bobert51 posted:

Has anyone had problems with the Spotify update? Ever since I updated to the new version, it will only play the first song on a list that I select, then it just stops. I have to manually hit the next track button. I've looked around the net and haven't found anyone talking about a similar problem since the update. I'm afraid it has something to do with the fact I'm on a beta ICS rom on my DX.

This happened to me too, but after signing in on an iPhone. I think I fixed it by going into the 'Now Playing' screen and hitting the arrow for continuous play (at least, after doing that it seems to be fixed). But yeah it was weird, and I'm not sure that was exactly the thing that fixed it for me - but it seems to still be working.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

This drawing app is very easy to use and fun, if you like making art on your phone/tablet it's worth checking out:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.dsandler.apps.markers

Bonus it's open source:
http://code.google.com/p/markers-for-android/

Also has a bare Google+ page:
https://plus.google.com/109853633014124617610/posts

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Combat Pretzel posted:

The shuffling has been an issue with the music player in Android since ever. I've had an issue filed about this with Android 2.x and their engineers kept claiming that it's working properly. Apparently they consider it acceptable that the same song can repeat after just two or three songs, if you're shuffling a list of 200 or so songs.

Where do you go to file an issue like this anyway?

Edit: nevermind found it

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 24, 2012

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

What's a decent music player besides Winamp? I'm looking for something specifically that'll display art embedded in each track separately, Winamp just likes to pick whichever one's first and apply it to everything in the album even if nothing's there. There was some other player I used a while ago that had an option to treat everything in a folder as if they were all part of the same album even if they weren't and were tagged differently, and I'd like to be able to do that again too. If I remember correctly, I stopped using that thing because the paid version still had ads, which was really dumb.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
PowerAMP?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

And the only acceptable skin for it (even the default one sucks with all the glowy bits):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ikorolkov.poweramp.skins.ics

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Glimm posted:

This drawing app is very easy to use and fun, if you like making art on your phone/tablet it's worth checking out:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.dsandler.apps.markers

Bonus it's open source:
http://code.google.com/p/markers-for-android/

Also has a bare Google+ page:
https://plus.google.com/109853633014124617610/posts

Tried it on my note, works pretty well, but the save and color options kinda suck.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Could anyone post or link to a safe place to get the most recent Dark Horse Comics APK? I want to sideload it on my Kindle fire but I don't have a phone to pull it from any more. Mods this is a free app so I don't think this is :filez: but I'll revoke this if it's not ok.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Combat Pretzel posted:

And the only acceptable skin for it (even the default one sucks with all the glowy bits):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ikorolkov.poweramp.skins.ics

:downs: I remember considering it before, but deciding against it because 5bux seemed high for a music player and I didn't see the trial version. Turns out it's pretty much everything I ever wanted and then some, thanks!

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Flipboard doesn't support facebook notifications, does it? I can't find the option if it is there and it kinda sucks having to scroll all the way to a conversation to see what is new in it as my timeline keeps getting new stuff in it.

Other than that, it is a pretty neat app and I would be happy to be rid of facebook.apk to the tune of 8% of my daily battery usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Speaking of Flipboard...what's the point? I've heard talk about it for at least a year, and so when it came out for Android, I gave it a spin.

I don't get it. It seems like a less-useful RSS reader. What is the use case for it?

• Locked thread