Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Funnily enough, this discussion has made me realize I've been deaf in both ears since I was 5 and I've never had that ringing in my ears. :v: I guess deafies just don't get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Funnily enough, this discussion has made me realize I've been deaf in both ears since I was 5 and I've never had that ringing in my ears. :v: I guess deafies just don't get it?

Well, obviously you do have it, you just can't hear it.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That explains liking Linkin Park unironically.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

vyst posted:

While she's better than real Wendy, I'm just tired of new Wendy's voice. Just shut up tia.

I hate how smug she is. Everything just makes me feel like she's really tell everyone:

"Hey retard! Nice lovely lunch you got there. Why don't you come to my restaurant and get some food that doesn't taste like vomit. Are you too stupid to know that already?"

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
The car commercial where the old parents call their son a hippie for driving a low mpg car is really awful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

vyst posted:

While she's better than real Wendy, I'm just tired of new Wendy's voice. Just shut up tia.

I think she's awesome. So I guess we're mortal enemies now.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Saw some commercial on the History channel or something that began talking about the Titanic in a tone that immediately made me think, "Great, another commemorative coin."

Nope, it was a necklace. And a ring. :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When I'm over at my parents' house I end up watching channels I don't usually. This means I end up seeing a bunch of bizarre commercials I've never seen before. Like today they were watching American Pickers and there was a commercial for a farmer specific dating site. Are there really that many single farmer women out there?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Grin and Tonic posted:

The car commercial where the old parents call their son a hippie for driving a low mpg car is really awful.

Well yeah. Hippies would want to drive high mpg cars.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Rhyno posted:

I think she's awesome. So I guess we're mortal enemies now.

She's definitely my favorite when it comes to current fast food restaurant faces. Dairy Queen's been too busy trying to steal some of the Old Spice demographic (badly) and also retired their weird Mouth-based commercials. McDonald's hasn't used their children's characters in ages. The King is now dead. Arby's... Christ, don't get me started. I'd take the Oven Mitt over the "Good Mood Food" crap.

But to be fair, I have a thing for redheads, and she is really pretty. :shobon:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Grimace posted:

But to be fair, I have a thing for redheads, and she is really pretty. :shobon:

She's @MsMorganSmith. She's pretty, talented and hilarious.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

muscles like this? posted:

When I'm over at my parents' house I end up watching channels I don't usually. This means I end up seeing a bunch of bizarre commercials I've never seen before. Like today they were watching American Pickers and there was a commercial for a farmer specific dating site. Are there really that many single farmer women out there?
Oh my god, that commercial. I saw it for the first time during Saturday Night Live and didn't believe it wasn't a parody until I actually went to the website.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Oh my god, that commercial. I saw it for the first time during Saturday Night Live and didn't believe it wasn't a parody until I actually went to the website.

Its a terrible commercial too. Its surprising how specific some of these dating sites can get, like there's a Christian specific site, despite, you know, eHarmony already existing.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Oh holy gently caress kitkat commercials suck so loving much.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Rhyno posted:

She's @MsMorganSmith. She's pretty, talented and hilarious.

But is she an actual redhead? Because I'm like 70% sure that shade of red doesn't occur naturally.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

404GoonNotFound posted:

But is she an actual redhead? Because I'm like 70% sure that shade of red doesn't occur naturally.

She's an Allison Hannigan type of redhead. Yeah it's red but it's accented with a much darker tint.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

I never noticed this in Southern California, but in Northern California, whether I'm watching Hulu or network TV, I get ads from Honda/Chevy, Sleep Train, Citibank, and very little else. It's starting to drive me batty. Do service providers (I have the same provider for TV and Internet) control which ads are shown?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Any of the Hopper commercials. Why the gently caress would anyone think a bunch of annoying people talking in annoying Boston accents would help sell their product?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Grin and Tonic posted:

There's another car commercial where this guy moves back in with his parents after finishing college. They make it clear that he's a lazy idiot who can barely take care of himself. The whole thing comes off as really insulting considering how many people are in that situation for purely economic reasons.

but I guess they aren't buying new cars anyway.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

kittenmittons posted:

Any of the Hopper commercials. Why the gently caress would anyone think a bunch of annoying people talking in annoying Boston accents would help sell their product?

If you go into a Blockbuster Video these days, instead of having movies playing on their screens like back in the day, they have a constant loop of HOPPAH commercials. It is absolutely horrible and makes me never want to go to a Blockbuster ever again.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

If you go into a Blockbuster Video these days, instead of having movies playing on their screens like back in the day, they have a constant loop of HOPPAH commercials. It is absolutely horrible and makes me never want to go to a Blockbuster ever again.

This makes me feel better about the Blockbuster in my town going under. I didn't really care to begin with, but still.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

If you go into a Blockbuster Video these days
...why?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Nostalgia? We used to go to the one nearby all the time when I was a kid. I rented games almost on a weekly basis :unsmith: Sometimes... sometimes, it's nice to do it again, just for the hell of it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kittenmittons posted:

Because people are horrible. I have a coworker who decided to switch to the Hopper and when informing another one of this got "Oh, you're getting the HOPPA? I love those commercials! HOPPA!" Ugh.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Dr_Amazing posted:

There's another car commercial where this guy moves back in with his parents after finishing college. They make it clear that he's a lazy idiot who can barely take care of himself. The whole thing comes off as really insulting considering how many people are in that situation for purely economic reasons.

but I guess they aren't buying new cars anyway.

nope, sorry, kids these days, am I right, baby boomers? (buy my car please)

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

kittenmittons posted:

I thought it was annoying on purpose. "You could skip this annoying ad if you had the Hopper."

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I heard a Hopper radio ad that had the announcer guy using a regular voice and then would say HOPPA like a Cheers background character and then just as suddenly back to normal voice.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Cup of Hemlock posted:

I never noticed this in Southern California, but in Northern California, whether I'm watching Hulu or network TV, I get ads from Honda/Chevy, Sleep Train, Citibank, and very little else. It's starting to drive me batty. Do service providers (I have the same provider for TV and Internet) control which ads are shown?

If it's like everything else, the ad server knows what geographic area you're from and advertisers buy ads with geographical targeting. As a western Canadian it is painful - not enough business buying online ads so you'll get the same poo poo 100 times in a row. Especially this Mr Big campaign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PP1tbwUeFI

HURF CANADIANS LIKE HOCKEY (I do but it's still demeaning)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ElwoodCuse posted:

They also used to have some godawful print ads with a sexy, scantily-clad woman delivering the mail but of course Mr. Nerd Shut-in is more thrilled that she's bringing VIDYA GAMES.

As bad as they are, none of the Gamefly commercials are as bad as this Gamestop commercial that used to come on like every commercial break when I watched the Funimation channel like 5 years ago. I don't think I ever saw it on any other channel, either.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Who else wants to kick the shrill puppy leading the heartworm protest?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm completely sick of using little kid voices (usually girls) as tearjerkers for things like the PSAs for Feeding America and the American Lung Association. I'm sure they're both perfectly good groups but good lord it's just grating after a while.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Hey thanks Cottonelle, I really wanted to think of a nickname for how I wipe my rear end, and now I can't post it on facebook!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gvGK987N2M

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

leidend posted:

If it's like everything else, the ad server knows what geographic area you're from and advertisers buy ads with geographical targeting. As a western Canadian it is painful - not enough business buying online ads so you'll get the same poo poo 100 times in a row. Especially this Mr Big campaign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PP1tbwUeFI

HURF CANADIANS LIKE HOCKEY (I do but it's still demeaning)

True, but if you guys didn't, I would have never known the greatness of the NHL commercial with Ovechkin pulling pranks or this bit of amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKTvD3LRSLs

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

TontoCorazon posted:

Oh holy gently caress kitkat commercials suck so loving much.

Chewing/drinking/slurping sounds are incredibly unappetizing to me, e.g.:
- KitKat commercials;
- York Peppermint Patty commercials that are aping Requiem for a Dream;
- Taco Bell commercials with the guy sucking his Dorito Loco Taco-stained fingers;
- Any radio commercial for a soda, ever;

and some others I'm sure I've missed. I don't know who likes these things or what focus groups ad companies find that are cool with hearing or watching people eat and drink.

Yet somehow I've always liked this commercial.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

SamBishop posted:

True, but if you guys didn't, I would have never known the greatness of the NHL commercial with Ovechkin pulling pranks or this bit of amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKTvD3LRSLs

Or this one, the Ovechkin "Russian Spy" ESPN ad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkJednDFJGA

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

:ughh:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm not sure I like this new Spiderman origin story.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's bullshit, there's nothing to swing from in the middle of a baseball stadium :argh:

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I think ads in sports are a bit to crazy when they are literally coming out of the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Are you kidding? That's fantastic! :haw: