Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

caiman posted:

It's valid in the sense that they thought of it so it's a legitimate mental correlation. But "Hmm, that reminds me of 9/11" is entirely different from "Why is Criterion reminding me of 9/11 :argh:"

That would be a hilarious class-action lawsuit.

"Criterion made us feel sad."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pfirti86 posted:

Goddamn. Just seeing that again brings up all sorts of feelings about 9/11 :(.

I just discovered that my library at the University of Michigan pretty much has every Criterion DVD out there right now (including Tokyo Olympiad, which is currently out of print and unavailable on NetFlix). Seriously debating killing my NetFlix account.

If just watching Criterions is your thing you should have a hulu plus account over netflix anyway.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

RichterIX posted:

That would be a hilarious class-action lawsuit.

"Criterion made us feel sad."

"I am also a claimant in this suit. I did not see the cover of The Game, but I did watch Umberto D."

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Criterion put up a restoration demo for Chaplin's The Gold Rush. These sorts of things always amaze me, since you very rarely see the difference in the prints, but they literally point it all out to you. There's some wizardry at work with those Criterion people.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
On the topic of Criterion making us sad, what would you all put on the list of the absolute saddest Criterion films? I can't watch Make Way For Tomorrow or Black Orpheus without tearing up.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

codyclarke posted:

On the topic of Criterion making us sad, what would you all put on the list of the absolute saddest Criterion films? I can't watch Make Way For Tomorrow or Black Orpheus without tearing up.

Ikiru made me sad, but a good kind of sad.

Sansho the Bailiff is probably the most depressing one I've encountered so far.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

caiman posted:

It's valid in the sense that they thought of it so it's a legitimate mental correlation. But "Hmm, that reminds me of 9/11" is entirely different from "Why is Criterion reminding me of 9/11 :argh:"

I don't think anyone is having that second reaction.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Coolodile posted:

If you're browsing Criterion DVDs at all chances are you are already familiar with the brand and its appeal. The artistic covers are part of that.

I love going to Frys and looking at the Criterion section. I want to buy them all.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

codyclarke posted:

Umberto D is a great, great film but I can't watch it without bawling. When I saw the new cover art I started tearing up a little.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex

codyclarke posted:

Although it has an ultimately happy ending, there are a few parts of Wings of Desire the jumper and the accident that make me tear up just thinking about them.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

codyclarke posted:

El Norte is the first that personally comes to mind. It's a spectacular picture, but I'm not exactly anxious to go back and watch it again.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Macrame_God posted:

El Norte is the first that personally comes to mind. It's a spectacular picture, but I'm not exactly anxious to go back and watch it again.

I feel the same way about The Human Condition. And it's not just because the film or maybe I should say films is/are a little lengthy.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Hey, how is the streaming quality on the Criterion movies on Hulu? I'm curious about it because there are plenty of titles I want to check out but I'm not convinced I would want to own yet, but as I live in Canada, there are a few hoops I would have to jump through if I committed to subscribing to Plus for a few months.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

kuddles posted:

Hey, how is the streaming quality on the Criterion movies on Hulu? I'm curious about it because there are plenty of titles I want to check out but I'm not convinced I would want to own yet, but as I live in Canada, there are a few hoops I would have to jump through if I committed to subscribing to Plus for a few months.

I think it's decent. Do you have the option to watch a few of them for free? I don't know about Canada, but in the US Criterion makes a few titles available for free for two weeks every few weeks. And there are a small handful that are always free (Most John Cassavettes stuff, I want to say Stagecoach but I'm not sure, and some other lesser known stuff).

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Was looking at the Cassavetes box set and had a question- did Criterion reissue a few of the titles in 2009? A few (at least on Amazon and other places) are shown with packaging bearing the newer logo, while the box set maintains the old one.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

kuddles posted:

It's pretty great, as good as television style HD I'd say. Definitely not bad by any stretch.

KillGizmo
Jul 11, 2001

Run you little bastard! Run!
Just started to really collect Criterion stuff. Just picked up Harold and Maude, Diabolique, Essentials Art House Vol 1, Brazil (3 Disc), Seven Samurai, M, Vampyr, and Cronos. I need to stop myself but I can't =) Can anyone recommend some of the better Blu Ray releases on Criterion?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ThetaOmnikron posted:

Was looking at the Cassavetes box set and had a question- did Criterion reissue a few of the titles in 2009? A few (at least on Amazon and other places) are shown with packaging bearing the newer logo, while the box set maintains the old one.

Yes, they're all available separately except Opening Night and the bonus disc, A Constant Forge.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

KillGizmo posted:

Just started to really collect Criterion stuff. Just picked up Harold and Maude, Diabolique, Essentials Art House Vol 1, Brazil (3 Disc), Seven Samurai, M, Vampyr, and Cronos. I need to stop myself but I can't =) Can anyone recommend some of the better Blu Ray releases on Criterion?

Of the few I own, these are my favorites: The Phantom Carriage, Repulsion, The Seventh Seal, House, Antichrist, and Island of Lost Souls.

KillGizmo
Jul 11, 2001

Run you little bastard! Run!

caiman posted:

Of the few I own, these are my favorites: The Phantom Carriage, Repulsion, The Seventh Seal, House, Antichrist, and Island of Lost Souls.

Thanks Caiman those all sound good. Probably pick up House and Antichrist next.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

KillGizmo posted:

Pierrot le Fou, Breathless, and Chungking Express are my three fav blus.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Definitely grab The Third Man and The Man Who Fell To Earth, I own both and couldn't be happier about it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Definitely grab The Third Man and The Man Who Fell To Earth, I own both and couldn't be happier about it.
Aren't these out of print?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My post was a joke post. My actual suggestions for purchase would be Blow-Out and either Naked or Topsy-Turvy. I don't know his tastes but I love all three of those movies and the blu-rays are phenomenal.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I just bought World on a Wire, 12 Angry Men and Kuroneko on Blu-ray because they were around $20 on Amazon. Did I make any mistakes there?

EDIT: To clarify, I've only seen 12 Angry Men of the three, and it's one of my favorite movies, so I have no regrets there. However, I've only seen trailers of the other two, and I wanted to get a diverse batch of movies - so there you go.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 23, 2012

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The vast majority of my Criterions (around 50 or so) are blind buys and I think it's pretty difficult to go wrong by doing so. There's a few that I've only watched once but that's more due to me needing to be in a specific mood. There's also some where I've purchased the older, inferior version or they rerelease in blu-ray (like The Third Man which I've bought three times) and wish I waited, but who knows?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Hewlett posted:

I just bought World on a Wire, 12 Angry Men and Kuroneko on Blu-ray because they were around $20 on Amazon. Did I make any mistakes there?

EDIT: To clarify, I've only seen 12 Angry Men of the three, and it's one of my favorite movies, so I have no regrets there. However, I've only seen trailers of the other two, and I wanted to get a diverse batch of movies - so there you go.

I liked World on a Wire. It's a little long but an interesting 70's sci-fi flick. It held my interest much more than other flicks of the era like The Man Who Fell To Earth.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I get the feeling the B&N summer sale on Criterions wont be happening this year.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

I get the feeling the B&N summer sale on Criterions wont be happening this year.

That would suck so hardcore. I did ask a DVD section guy if it was going to be in July, and he said he'd assumed so, but hadn't gotten any official notice or anything.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

I'll second Chungking Express because it's a great movie and a beautiful transfer, but don't buy it for the extensive special features. Other than a great commentary track there's little else.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Yes, they're all available separately except Opening Night and the bonus disc, A Constant Forge.

Are the transfers/extras any different on the rereleases?

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

Pfirti86 posted:

Goddamn. Just seeing that again brings up all sorts of feelings about 9/11 :(.

I just discovered that my library at the University of Michigan pretty much has every Criterion DVD out there right now (including Tokyo Olympiad, which is currently out of print and unavailable on NetFlix). Seriously debating killing my NetFlix account.

The whole time I was there, the only DVD they DIDN'T have was Boiler Room. I don't know what's stranger...that I LOOKED for Boiler Room, or that they didn't have it despite having all of the out of print or limited release DVDs I'd ever asked for.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Is the Up All Night With Robert Downey Sr. set worth blind buying? I've never seen any of the films on it, but from what I've heard about Downey, they sound pretty interesting. Although, I could always be disappointed, so I'd like to know what I'm getting if anyone knows the films.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

caiman posted:

The Seventh Seal BRD is a thing of beauty. I'd also recommend Black Orpheus.

I only recently converted myself into buying BRD so I'm pretty thin on them but these two are great.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

TrixRabbi posted:

Is the Up All Night With Robert Downey Sr. set worth blind buying? I've never seen any of the films on it, but from what I've heard about Downey, they sound pretty interesting. Although, I could always be disappointed, so I'd like to know what I'm getting if anyone knows the films.

It's worth it just for Putney Swope.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I just watched all the interviews he did with Paul Thomas Anderson, and I think I'm pretty much sold.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Has there been any update on this?

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007
Some dude posted on the wall on the Criterion facebook that it will be July 10th. Not sure how reliable that is, though.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, the B&N sale starts on the 10th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah, the B&N sale starts on the 10th.

B&N Criterion Sale, Steam Sale and a local film festival all within a couple of weeks?

My bank account is going to be hurting at the end of this month.