Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Sorry to ask a question that will have been brought up countless times, but is Unarmed/Melee a fun playthough in this game, is there a decent selection of stuff to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Sorry to ask a question that will have been brought up countless times, but is Unarmed/Melee a fun playthough in this game, is there a decent selection of stuff to use?

There's just about nothing more fun than punching a deathclaw so hard that it explodes.
And there is a very good selection of stuff to use. Trust me, the first time you cave a raider's head in with a chunk of concrete on rebar you'll be hooked.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Well, you get to run around with a shotgun attached to your wrist.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

I mostly agree with you on Ulysses' motives, but you make it sound like the Courier should've realized he hosed up Hopeville, when as far as I remember the Courier basically dropped off a package as per usual, took off to his next job and then everything went to poo poo. He doesn't remember because there's nothing to remember.

It's the equivalent of blaming the mailman because somebody mailed you anthrax.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Wolfsheim posted:

It's the equivalent of blaming the mailman because somebody mailed you anthrax.

That's literally what Ulysses is doing, yeah. He does it because he has nobody else to blame.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Talking about Hopeville, I thought it might be interesting to have a Fallout set around the start of a new community instead of an existing one. Travelling with a caravan of settlers for the founding of New New Canaan or the Khan's empire or something similar. I guess that limits the amount of background you can have in place, but surely with a good writing team you could get a lot of mileage over the clash of personalities/factions within the new community, rather than a full on 'these guys vs these guys' scrap like the Mojave.

Maybe it's just too limiting for a full game, but I enjoyed the feel of Honest Hearts so surely you could at least get a DLC's worth of play out of it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like that concept. Reminds me of Raven Rock from the Bloodmoon expansion for Morrowind. When you first started it there was literally nothing there but some rocks and trees but as you progressed through the questline the small mining community would slowly grow,walls would rise around the area,the mine would get deeper and more and more people would arrive. Eventually of course you'd become the head of the town and get to choose a nice place to build a house to store all your pillows and sload soaps bars.

Would be nice to have something like that in the Fallout universe which is a bit more suited to that sort of pioneer stuff than TES.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Unarmed weapons are the most powerful in the game. Tons of damage, no ammo to worry about. Make sure you build a character with Piercing Strike. Your endgame weapon will be the Ballistic Fist if you're playing without DLC. With GRA, you get even more options.

War Pig
Nov 14, 2007

Civilization is crumbling.
So after 250hrs and getting all the achievements six months ago, I am redownloading the DLC to start anew.

This game!

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

I've had my most fun playing unarmed characters honestly. It synergizes really well with stealth too since unarmed/melee is almost universally silent. I sneak killed almost everyone in the prison using a blade claw gauntlet and relatively low stealth.

You probably are going to need to plan your attacks a little better to avoid being shot 15 times while closing the gap in open spaces or either carry a lot of healing meds.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Scorchy posted:

Well, you get to run around with a shotgun attached to your wrist.

Yeah unarmed gets completely loving broken really fast. That penetration perk what the hell "ignore 15 points of DT." Let's go over the enemies in the game that have over 15 DT:
1. Brotherhood of steel (18-25)
2. Ncr heavy troops/veteran rangers(20ish)
3. Legion Centurions(19ish)
4. Legate Lanius (19)

So those heavily armored elite troops will only have like 5-10 DT on you, tops and everything else gets destroyed.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I know I've mentioned it before, but Unarmed is loving hilarious in VATS. Your character does a weak-looking slow-mo punch towards a Super Mutant and its head suddenly explodes. It's literally the best Fist of the North Star simulator out there.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

I know I've mentioned it before, but Unarmed is loving hilarious in VATS. Your character does a weak-looking slow-mo punch towards a Super Mutant and its head suddenly explodes. It's literally the best Fist of the North Rawr simulator out there.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Anyone care to comment on what a 'no fast-travelling' run is like?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

JawKnee posted:

I think that speaks for itself. You're just padding the game out needlessly. And there is a finite amount of locations and events going through the same towns over and over..I can't imagine that's fun.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

JawKnee posted:

Not actually terrible, but not what I'd recommend for a first playthrough. Having a "base" becomes tedious and you start having more caches everywhere. Getting to the Sink, for instance, is really easy, but it dumps you back in the middle of loving nowhere.

I ultimately modified the "no fast-travel" bit so that as long as I had cleared up the route a few times, I could fast-travel along major roads between towns/trading posts only.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

JawKnee posted:

It isn't that bad, but I'd make an exception with your base (whatever it might be, I use the Lombard Station mod by Omnicarus), especially if you're playing on hardcore.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm reaching the endgame with my melee-weapon oriented character and I just have to ask. Is the Superslegde really the best there is? It's just so extremely underwhelming to fight with when compared to the ballistic fist, bazooka, anti-material rifle and Gauss Rifle. It just kinda thumps on people and then they fall over. Even the Lead Pipe is more satisfying to fight with. :negative:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah unarmed gets completely loving broken really fast. That penetration perk what the hell "ignore 15 points of DT." Let's go over the enemies in the game that have over 15 DT:
1. Brotherhood of steel (18-25)
2. Ncr heavy troops/veteran rangers(20ish)
3. Legion Centurions(19ish)
4. Legate Lanius (19)

So those heavily armored elite troops will only have like 5-10 DT on you, tops and everything else gets destroyed.

Don't forget the robots. That's where the true DT is, by vanilla-game standards.

5. Mr. Gutsy (25 DT)
6. Sentry Bot (18 DT) / Hardened Sentry Bot (25 DT)
7. Securitron (20 DT)
8. Robobrain (15 DT)
9. A bunch of the higher-level turrets (MK VI have 30 DT)

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

Xoidanor posted:

I'm reaching the endgame with my melee-weapon oriented character and I just have to ask. Is the Superslegde really the best there is? It's just so extremely underwhelming to fight with when compared to the ballistic fist, bazooka, anti-material rifle and Gauss Rifle. It just kinda thumps on people and then they fall over. Even the Lead Pipe is more satisfying to fight with. :negative:

You could try the upgraded War Club from honest hearts. Doesn't do as much damage of course, but it swings fast and has the same awesome power attack as the lead pipe

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
I thought the motorcycle mod for FO3 hit the sweet spot for "no fast travel", I was bummed that I couldn't find one for FNV.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
All this talk of unarmed makes me want to find tri-claw weapon mods. I was already planning to play a character this go around like Wolverene. Why not go all-in?

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

physeter posted:

I thought the motorcycle mod for FO3 hit the sweet spot for "no fast travel", I was bummed that I couldn't find one for FNV.

Did you try entering "motorcycle" into the nexus search engine? I'm seeing two separate mods that feature drivable motorcycles.

Is there something wrong with them?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Merry Magpie posted:

Did you try entering "motorcycle" into the nexus search engine? I'm seeing two separate mods that feature drivable motorcycles.

Is there something wrong with them?

The game already struggles to keep up with an ordinary player, generating cells in the worldspace as they walk or run around. Adding a motorcycle into the mix enables the player to move so fast that they can end up in areas the game hasn't even loaded yet, which can then cause a CTD. I don't think it's being in unloaded areas that causes the CTD so much as stuffing the engine full of a bunch of areas that need to be loaded in a relatively short period of time.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The game already struggles to keep up with an ordinary player, generating cells in the worldspace as they walk or run around. Adding a motorcycle into the mix enables the player to move so fast that they can end up in areas the game hasn't even loaded yet, which can then cause a CTD.

Why would this be a problem for NV but not FO3?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Revol posted:

Why would this be a problem for NV but not FO3?

Because the "Fast Travel" motorcycle in FO3 wasn't driveable. You were only allowed to use fast travel while in possession of the bike, and by clicking on it. It could carry extra equipment but had to be refueled and maintained.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Because the "Fast Travel" motorcycle in FO3 wasn't driveable. You were only allowed to use fast travel while in possession of the bike, and by clicking on it. It could carry extra equipment but had to be refueled and maintained.

I see. Why not this then? It has all those features and is immobile.

Merry Magpie fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 25, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Merry Magpie posted:

I see. Why not this then? It has all those features and is immobile.

Hey, look at that. That's exactly what physeter was looking for.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Any idea why my VATS is doing this? I've disabled all mods and it still comes up like this. Just want to know if there is an easy fix before I reinstall.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

JawKnee posted:

It allows you to encounter interesting little wasteland events more often than if you fast travel; for instance you'll run into lots of traveling merchants that usually have random items you want, or you might come across random fights between different factions, whether NCR/Legion patrols in the Southeast of the map, or random Fiend attacks on Westside/Camp McCarran. I usually try to not fast travel, unless a quest gets really tedious with the amount of backtracking it asks me to do (Return to Sender).

CommissarMega posted:

Lonesome Road/Ulysses stuff
[/quote]

That is one of the best explanations I've ever read for that whole situation. I just got the chance to play LR again, and the only complaint I can really give it is Ulysses' grating voice gets a little too much time. It's mesmerizing and a really good part of his character to have so distinct a voice, but I thought the mystique of his character got deflated a little bit, just because he does talk so much, even if everything written for him is very interesting to hear.

Then again, that's a running theme in the Fallout world, legends and myths always have a real starting point, an actual person or thing behind them, that may not always measure up what those myths have been propagated to. Deathclaws in F1, Joshua Graham/The Burned Man, and now Ulysses.

...So I failed the speech check in Cottonwood Cove in the quest where you are trying to rescue the Weathers family. Normally the speech check convinces the Legion Slaver that the one kid has a disease that's contagious. The failed speech check tries to convince the guy that the girl has vagina dentata. I did not expect to see that term in a game.

EDIT: So I'm looking over Van Buren files on the Fallout wiki and I am amazed to see how many ideas and characters were recycled and revamped for Fallout New Vegas. Someone had a big effortpost earlier in this thread about what Van Buren was going to be like, so its nice to see how many of its good ideas to actually see the light of day.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 25, 2012

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hey, look at that. That's exactly what physeter was looking for.

I'm a helper. Hope it works for you physeter.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

JawKnee posted:

I've been doing a hardcore no fast-travel run, and I eventually got tired of it in the late-game quests. Early to mid-game you can queue things up and finish them in chunks by area so it works OK, but the later quests tend to have you running all over the drat place just to talk to someone.

If you're a hoarder, things will suck immensely unless you can break yourself of that habit or you want to slog back to a drop-off point for your items all the drat time. The Mojave Express dropboxes are actually helpful for this (I used the Novac room most of the game as my base, there's a box right there), or you can run multiple caches as someone mentioned.

Hit-squads become very annoying, as they respawn. Novac has one north and one south for example, meaning you can't really avoid them unless you swing wide and add a lot of travel time.

If you are going to do it, I'd recommend going with limited fast travel like someone mentioned. Only along recently cleared routes, or maybe one-way to a base/safehouse, etc.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

isndl posted:

I've been doing a hardcore no fast-travel run, and I eventually got tired of it in the late-game quests. Early to mid-game you can queue things up and finish them in chunks by area so it works OK, but the later quests tend to have you running all over the drat place just to talk to someone.

If you're a hoarder, things will suck immensely unless you can break yourself of that habit or you want to slog back to a drop-off point for your items all the drat time. The Mojave Express dropboxes are actually helpful for this (I used the Novac room most of the game as my base, there's a box right there), or you can run multiple caches as someone mentioned.

Hit-squads become very annoying, as they respawn. Novac has one north and one south for example, meaning you can't really avoid them unless you swing wide and add a lot of travel time.

If you are going to do it, I'd recommend going with limited fast travel like someone mentioned. Only along recently cleared routes, or maybe one-way to a base/safehouse, etc.

Interesting, thank you (and thanks to everyone else as well); I'm probably going to try it out, as hardcore is pointless with excessive fast-travelling (food/water are piss-easy to get this way). Also after so many playthroughs it feels like I'm playing around in some kind of bizzarre excell spreadsheet.

As for a character I'm thinking something like a tribal that for some reason loves energy weapons (how this excuses magic teleportation I don't know, but I'm gonna run with it).

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Defiance Industries posted:

I wanted to tell him about Deathclaws. And not just the regular description, tell him what Harold told us in Fallout 1: that they are immune to bullets and can hypnotize you if you look in their eyes.

Oh yes, this. Every time he said that I thought 'dude, your tribe would poo poo themselves when the first Deathclaw shows up'.

I finished Dead Money, and it has a pretty good story. I wish it had more color (a complaint voiced numerous times already, it seemes), but the tradeoff is Bear Trap Fists. It took me a while to figure out how to lock Elijah in the vault though... got kinda frustrated at that, but oh well.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Honestly, hunger/thirst is still mostly pointless even with no fast travel. Kill a Legion squad and you'll have supplies to last you a day minimum, the rads from drinking from dirty faucets is meaningless, the various Survival recipes gives you even more ways to make it even easier to live off the land, etc.

The bigger issues to deal with is dumbass companion AI getting them flattened and the weight of ammo. Ditching companions means losing a valuable pack mule, and you'll likely end up with a significant portion of your weight allowance tied up in ammo so you don't have to return home all the time to grab more. Luckily nearly all stims and chems are weightless, but you'll still have to watch out for doctor's bags and weapon repair kits slowly tying up your max weight.

If you're going to be raising Science or Survival and doing crafting, I highly recommend going through the recipe lists beforehand and writing down what you need for what you plan on making, because grabbing everything and then sorting out what to keep afterwards when you're out of space is a huge hassle if you can't just fast travel and dump the lot for later use.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

The only reason I play with Hardcore mode on is so that ammunition has weight. Otherwise, you'd have effectively unlimited ammo. Hunger and thirst in NV is just so inconsequential. And sleep deprivation? Never once, not in the entire 280 hours I've put into NV, have I ever, ever, ever, had the sleep meter go above like 100. I don't know if that's a bug or what. I barely even sleep in game.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Why, oh, why did I JUST NOW figure out to clean out the Dino Bite's stockroom and sell like 300 dino toys and 60 rocket souvenirs back to Cliff Briscoe? Sure, it's vendor trash, but it amounts to a lot of ammo.

EDIT: Oh, that reminds me. I jacked That Gun out of there too. Should really sell that back to him too since I'm going speech/energy weapons this run.

And the nail gun. :unsmigghh: Sure, it takes a whole clip to bring my Securitron stalker down, but it's worth it for the crippling and uncanny ability to kill most enemies I've run across so far in one sneaking burst to the head in VATS.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 26, 2012

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's a really rude thing to do to Cliff :smith:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

No, what's really rude is going for a late night walk with him while wearing a beret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

That's a really rude thing to do to Cliff :smith:
Somebody breaks into the stock room and sells a crateload of dinos and rockets back to the store each week. Cliff's just happy someone will be talking to him for the better half of an afternoon.