Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

You can get Pimm's at Bevmo or Safeway in California! Where do you live that you can't find it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

pork never goes bad posted:

You can get Pimm's at Bevmo or Safeway in California! Where do you live that you can't find it?

Take a left at Northeast Bumfuck and drive until you can no longer get a cell phone signal. Then you should be able to hitch a ride here on a seaplane.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

pork never goes bad posted:

Pimento Dram is good, and it's so easy to make your own. Same for Falernum.

Also, I don't know if I'd call Campari a liqueur since it's unsweetened.

Campari is definitely sweetened. It's actually intensely sweet, as well as being intensely bitter, though if we want to be technical it's an amaro rather than a liqueur.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Very Strange Things posted:

Take a left at Northeast Bumfuck and drive until you can no longer get a cell phone signal. Then you should be able to hitch a ride here on a seaplane.

Pimm's is part of the base liquors. Sure you could make your own Irish Creme or infuse some fruit vodkas, but nothing tastes like Pimms/Campari/Chartreuse except Pimms/Campari/Chartreuse.

I have 5 regular liquor stores I hit up when I need certain things. If you're serious about the good stuff, you have to seek it out.

Kenning posted:

Campari is definitely sweetened. It's actually intensely sweet, as well as being intensely bitter, though if we want to be technical it's an amaro rather than a liqueur.

Is it still cool to sub in amaro in everything? Because I don't care, I ain't ever going to stop. Ramazzotti Manhattans, you were a gateway drug.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It stopped being cool in 2008 or 2009, but I think we're now at a point where it's not longer lame and faddish. In Brinton's anatomy of revolution we have passed beyond the Thermidorian reaction against such practices into the establishment of new norms derived from the principles of revolution, and subbing amari into established cocktails is neither particularly interesting nor particularly tiresome.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

You're right, Campari is sweetened! I am awakened to new possibilities. I'd hesitate to say that being an Amaro means something is not a liqueur - they seem to be intersecting categories.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I'd say that all Amari are liqueurs, but not all liqueurs are Amari...

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

Unicorn Sermon

4 oz. Silverado Chardonnay
1/2 oz. yellow chartreuse
1/4 oz. Benedictine
1/4 oz. Frangelico

Add the liqueurs to the bottom of a coupe glass, then top up with chilled wine. Stir. Drink while changing the channel between televangelists and My Little Pony.

Sounds better than that turntable double shot I did, so much puke in so little time.

Anyone have some good rum based mixes other than rum and coke?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Corvettefisher posted:

Sounds better than that turntable double shot I did, so much puke in so little time.

Anyone have some good rum based mixes other than rum and coke?

Rum and tonic is an oddball, and a little sweet, but I think it's a good, straightforward drink.

I'd also try a rum rickey -- rum and club soda with half a lime's worth of juice -- and the classic Dark and Stormy -- black rum with ginger beer and plenty of lime juice as well.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
I'm mostly done building my bar - I've been following the 12 Bottle Bar list to start and expanding where it felt appropriate. However, I bought Plymouth gin, mixed up an Aviation, and remembered that I Don't Like Gin.

I want to like gin, though. What's a good way for me to ease into gin? As I said, I own a bottle of Plymouth, but if I really need to taste something else in order to "get it" I will seek it out.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

King Hotpants posted:

I'm mostly done building my bar - I've been following the 12 Bottle Bar list to start and expanding where it felt appropriate. However, I bought Plymouth gin, mixed up an Aviation, and remembered that I Don't Like Gin.

I want to like gin, though. What's a good way for me to ease into gin? As I said, I own a bottle of Plymouth, but if I really need to taste something else in order to "get it" I will seek it out.

Get a bottle of Hendricks, and if you don't like it you're a terrible person and should kill yourself :colbert:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

King Hotpants posted:

Try a Last Word. I'd also suggest a Ramos Gin Fizz. Or a fizz variant using egg white and some kind of fruit liqueur.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

King Hotpants posted:

That's interesting, I used to not like gin either, but I found Plymouth to be more approachable than others, and its still mostly what I use.

I just started with a basic gin-and-tonic, which will dilute the gin and mellow the taste more than an Aviation will, and there won't be any confusion about other flavors. Put as much tonic and ice in as you like, and work towards the "right" ratio.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

You can try keeping gin in your freezer too.

Also Spring Feeling. I doubt the 12-bottle bar contains chartreuse (especially if you don't like gin) but maybe yours should.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 4, 2012

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

zmcnulty posted:

You can try keeping gin in your freezer too.

For gin and tonics that is okay, but it might mess up the dilution on shaken/stirred drinks. Make sure to compensate.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

That's a good point, Chartreuse is not in the 12 bottle bar, and the Ramos is a fiddly, fussy cocktail. Perhaps not great for beginners.

Try a Gimlet. Using Rose's lime makes something very approachable, and easy-drinking. If you're using fresh lime I'd sweeten it slightly.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Base Emitter posted:

That's interesting, I used to not like gin either, but I found Plymouth to be more approachable than others, and its still mostly what I use.

I just started with a basic gin-and-tonic, which will dilute the gin and mellow the taste more than an Aviation will, and there won't be any confusion about other flavors. Put as much tonic and ice in as you like, and work towards the "right" ratio.

To be fair to Plymouth, I like it more than any other gin I've had in the past. I just have trouble getting past that medicinal juniper twang. It's weird, because I enjoy islay scotch, and Laphroaig in particular has an iodine character that doesn't bother me at all. Maybe because it's hiding under all that peat.

I will try a gimlet, and when I am feeling crafty I will attempt a Ramos. Thanks for the advice, folks.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

King Hotpants posted:

I personally don't really care for the 12 bottle bar. I have a much better system for building a bar that I developed and typed up and then this thread was posted first so oh well. But seriously, gold rum, genever, and Irish whiskey are not more important than maraschino, which I contend is the most important liqueur in the bar, except for maybe orange liqueur.

In any case, there are some options for teaching yourself to like gin. Gin and Tonic is a classic, since you can add it in slowly to your taste. People have mentioned the Gimlet, I like mine with fresh lime and sugar, some people like Rose's. If you pick up some Lillet Blanc you can make a Corpse Reviver #2, the recipe for which I posted earlier in this thread. If you get some maraschino, you can make an Aviation, which I also posted. And finally, if none of those work, make a Gin Rickey. 2 oz. gin, the juice of a whole lime, 6-8 oz. soda water, and a healthy dollop of maraschino. No sugar. Build in a tall glass full of cracked ice or small cubes, if possible. Make sure to drink on a very hot day.

If that doesn't get you to like gin you might need to write the stuff off. Sorry duder.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Aviation is the drink he mentioned in his post.

100% on board with the maraschino, though.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Kenning posted:

I personally don't really care for the 12 bottle bar. I have a much better system for building a bar that I developed and typed up and then this thread was posted first so oh well. But seriously, gold rum, genever, and Irish whiskey are not more important than maraschino, which I contend is the most important liqueur in the bar, except for maybe orange liqueur.

[...]

If that doesn't get you to like gin you might need to write the stuff off. Sorry duder.

I already own Maraschino, so don't worry on that. Also don't you dare talk poo poo about gold rum because Pusser's is amazing.

I am already beginning to understand the limitations of the 12 bottle bar, and I don't own all 12 bottles yet (need to pick up absinthe, brandy, irish whiskey which I usually stock but drank it all, and genever). At the same time, it's turned me on to a lot of things I knew nothing about, like the aforementioned Pusser's and Rittenhouse which is my new go-to.

We're having some folks over tomorrow night, so I'll get to try out my new cocktailing skills with guests for the first time. That should be fun.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against Pusser's, I just don't think that it's in general as much of a workhorse spirit as you would need if you're trying to build the most useful bar out of only 12 bottles. Also, if you like that particular twang, I suggest tracking down a bottle of Smith and Cross (which is a full-proof dark Jamaican rum) and mixing up an old fashioned with it. It'll take you to whole new universes of flavor.

Rittenhouse is off the hook, and it seems like they've gotten a much bigger batch into circulation recently, thank God.

edit: Oh yeah, what were the ratios on that Aviation you mixed up? I find that almost every published recipe is way, way too dry for my tastes. When I've mixed up Aviations that are 2 oz. gin, 1/2 oz. lemon, 1/2 oz. maraschino, say, I find that the the lemon ends up enhancing some of the medicinal qualities of the gin, and the maraschino adds its own bitterness to the mix without enough sweetness and richness to balance. Because I am a maraschino fiend, I've happily mixed an Aviation with 2 oz. gin, 3/4 oz. lemon, and 1 oz. maraschino. Give it a shot, might change your mind on the whole thing.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 6, 2012

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
My aviation is 2 oz gin, 1/2 oz each of lemon and maraschino, and 1/4 oz violette. I will try it your way next time.

I mixed up my first gin and tonic tonight and it definitely made me appreciate the spirit a lot more. It's growing on me. Thanks again.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Since we're talking about gin and blueberries are in season:

Blueberry Boat

3oz gin
1oz lemon juice
1oz simple syrup
~10 blueberries
Handful of basil leaves

Muddle blueberries and basil with the simple syrup, add rest. Shake and double strain into a chilled flute. Garnish with a couple blueberries.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
So I recently came into many bunches of several different kinds of basil. I've been thinking I'd like to make a cocktail with some of them, but I'd rather it wasn't a gin base. Any other suggestions that will really highlight the flavor of the (home-grown, of course) basil? In a slightly different direction, would a vodka infusion be a good idea?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

rj54x posted:

So I recently came into many bunches of several different kinds of basil. I've been thinking I'd like to make a cocktail with some of them, but I'd rather it wasn't a gin base. Any other suggestions that will really highlight the flavor of the (home-grown, of course) basil? In a slightly different direction, would a vodka infusion be a good idea?

The New York Times had some good, simple cocktail recommendations for summer last year. This was one of them:

Live Basil Gimlet
5 large basil leaves
1.5 oz gin
0.75 oz fresh lime juice
0.5 oz simple syrup

Press/muddle four of the basil leaves in a cocktail shaker. Fill the shaker halfway with ice. Add the simple syrup, lime juice, and gin. Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass with the remaining basil leaf used as a garnish.

Basil's kind of a funky ingredient, so I don't know if I'm too keen on the drink myself, but I applaud the drink's simplicity. Less is more, I always say...

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Google isn't really helping me, but I bought a bag of key limes because I don't know why.

Can they be substitutes for regular limes, or are there special drinks I could make with them? I don't have as many obscure liquors/spirits as lots of people here, but I have a good assortment of stuff.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Doh004 posted:

Google isn't really helping me, but I bought a bag of key limes because I don't know why.

Can they be substitutes for regular limes, or are there special drinks I could make with them? I don't have as many obscure liquors/spirits as lots of people here, but I have a good assortment of stuff.

Ha ha, I don't know of any drinks that use key lime juice specifically. I'd say try to make normal drinks that would usually call for lime with them -- key lime daiquiris, key lime rickeys, key lime margaritas...

Otherwise, for god's sake, juice those suckers and bake yourself a key lime pie!

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

rj54x posted:

Basil and whiskey go well together, just put some simple syrup in there to sweeten it up.

Doh004 posted:

You can use key limes for regular lime juice, don't over think. :)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Klauser posted:

Since we're talking about gin and blueberries are in season:

Blueberry Boat

3oz gin
1oz lemon juice
1oz simple syrup
~10 blueberries
Handful of basil leaves

Muddle blueberries and basil with the simple syrup, add rest. Shake and double strain into a chilled flute. Garnish with a couple blueberries.
That sounds really good, actually. How strong is it? I'm kind of sketchy on gin, but the lemon juice and blueberries sound amazing.

Any suggestions for cheaper but not horribly lovely brandy? Someone said Christian Brothers, is that a good/bad idea?

Since I'm asking so many questions anyway, any strawberry liqueur reccomendations?

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That sounds really good, actually. How strong is it? I'm kind of sketchy on gin, but the lemon juice and blueberries sound amazing.

Any suggestions for cheaper but not horribly lovely brandy? Someone said Christian Brothers, is that a good/bad idea?

Since I'm asking so many questions anyway, any strawberry liqueur reccomendations?

Get a bottle of Remy Martin VSOP. Cheap brandy isn't really brandy at all, it's more paint thinner mixed with caramel coloring; that may be harsh, but it misses out on all the actual good points of brandy by being cheap.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, I guess I won't get brandy then. It's not be being cheap, it's me having no job and being a college student.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Brandy is like tequila – you're better off not drinking it if you can't afford something decent, especially when you can get truly excellent rum and gin and whatnot for hella cheap.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, it's great. It's my favorite thing about blueberries being in season. I wouldn't say it's strong, it's a great balance of sweet, tart, and herbal.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!
I'm assuming that this is the correct thread for this?

I made this on Fourth of July for a large party- Minty Watermelon-Cucumber Cooler

Watermelon + lime juice + cucumber + mint simple syrup + club soda + loooots of white rum, it was a hit :).

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

sharkattack posted:

I'm assuming that this is the correct thread for this?

I made this on Fourth of July for a large party- Minty Watermelon-Cucumber Cooler

Watermelon + lime juice + cucumber + mint simple syrup + club soda + loooots of white rum, it was a hit :).

Speaking of watermelon, and of Pimm's Cups earlier, a friend of mine recently posted a photo on facebook of the drink he'd enjoyed earlier that day. He called it a "Charred Watermelon Pimm's Cup". I, and several others asked him for the recipe, but he hasn't been back on the facebook for a week or so.
I went out of state recently and found a bottle of Pimm's; I also have some nice watermelon.
What is "charred watermelon"? Is it just how it sounds, like I could hold a chunk in my charcoal grill with tongs and then garnish with it? Maybe dunk it in some brandy first? Is it even something I should do?
It just sounded cool to me.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I've always been curious about those paper straws. How do they hold up in drinks? I can't imagine how they don't end up soggy and disintegrating after a few minutes.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

The Hebug posted:

I've always been curious about those paper straws. How do they hold up in drinks? I can't imagine how they don't end up soggy and disintegrating after a few minutes.

Well, they don't disintegrate, but they do get soggy; however, only really the tip gets soggy, and it still took like an hour or two before I even noticed.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Very Strange Things posted:

Speaking of watermelon, and of Pimm's Cups earlier, a friend of mine recently posted a photo on facebook of the drink he'd enjoyed earlier that day. He called it a "Charred Watermelon Pimm's Cup". I, and several others asked him for the recipe, but he hasn't been back on the facebook for a week or so.
I went out of state recently and found a bottle of Pimm's; I also have some nice watermelon.
What is "charred watermelon"? Is it just how it sounds, like I could hold a chunk in my charcoal grill with tongs and then garnish with it? Maybe dunk it in some brandy first? Is it even something I should do?
It just sounded cool to me.

If anyone gives a poo poo, this is what he emailed me a few minutes ago:

my buddy posted:

Charrede watermelon Pimm's Cup

here it is. 1 1/2 oz of Pimm's'
1 oz Bombay Gin
2 oz Watermelon juice (grill watermelon slices 5 min. on each side until charred. cool, blend and strain.)
Pour ingredients over ice in collins glass
Add ginger ale to fill ( we used fresh ginger ale by Bruce Cost)
Enjoy

I'll probably add a couple slices of cucumber, do more like 2 oz. Pimm's, and I'm guessing he meant to say to reserve some of the melon for garnish.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

DasNeonLicht posted:

The New York Times had some good, simple cocktail recommendations for summer last year. This was one of them:

Live Basil Gimlet
5 large basil leaves
1.5 oz gin
0.75 oz fresh lime juice
0.5 oz simple syrup

Press/muddle four of the basil leaves in a cocktail shaker. Fill the shaker halfway with ice. Add the simple syrup, lime juice, and gin. Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass with the remaining basil leaf used as a garnish.

Basil's kind of a funky ingredient, so I don't know if I'm too keen on the drink myself, but I applaud the drink's simplicity. Less is more, I always say...

I got a ton of basil the other day and had a lemon so I made essentially this same drink (with proportions from this) and it turned out great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I love a French 75. Hell, if I could only ever drink one cocktail for evermore, it'd be a French 75.

Are there any interesting variations that people have tried? (Aside from making it with cognac instead of gin?)

I've been contemplating trying it with sparkling rosé instead of champagne but not really sure where else to go from the basic gin/lemon juice/gomme syrup/champagne