Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

I hear that's real, though. Aren't sunglasses not a common thing in Japan?
No, they're not--although they're juuust starting to be now that people are more concerned about sun damage. People still prefer to squint, although they do use parasols and ridiculously wide-brimmed hats that help a little. Sunglasses are still chiefly a fashion accessory worn only by some small subsets of the population, not a practical addition to your sunny-day outfit. I feel silly wearing mine over there, but I have blue eyes and macular degeneration in the family, and I'm not taking any chances. (Also I already look funny just by virtue of being a furriner.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Sunglasses aren't as popular among us asians because we tend to have shallower nose bridges and higher cheekbones, making them more prone to sliding off or awkwardly sitting on the cheekbones. While I personally don't have too much trouble wearing them, some of my asian friends get frustrated over not being able to find a good pair that fits flatter faces. It's a legitimate fashion concern. (Though I imagine asian companies that make sunglasses would make them more suitable for such facial structures.)

Rap Music and Dope posted:

I just watched the USA special. Jesus christ, that soundtrack. Nothing like Born in the USA unironically playing as Arino flys to Hollywood. Also, We Built this City....

I've been wondering if those songs are going to be replaced on the DVD release.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 25, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

You forgot "wearing sunglasses."

I hear that's real, though. Aren't sunglasses not a common thing in Japan?

Maybe if you're a yakuza. :ohdear:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Sunglasses aren't as popular among us asians because we tend to have shallower nose bridges and higher cheekbones, making them more prone to sliding off or awkwardly sitting on the cheekbones. While I personally don't have too much trouble wearing them, some of my asian friends get frustrated over not being able to find a good pair that fits flatter faces. It's a legitimate fashion concern. (Though I imagine asian companies that make sunglasses would make them more suitable for such facial structures.)

That is so true. As a Korean, I hate wearing my glasses and sunglasses. Thank God I only have to wear glasses when I drive. Wearing any type of glasses is uncomfortable for me. Many of my Korean friends hate wearing glasses and wear contacts instead.

I posted it earlier but no one responded. Can someone translate the hint for the next episode(#142).

What do you guys think of them adding the Kotaku version of the Golden Axe challenge to the GCCX in USA DVD. I hope there is another DVD exclusive challenge on the DVD.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

joek0 posted:

I posted it earlier but no one responded. Can someone translate the hint for the next episode(#142).
"Don't miss Morioka's fierce battle!"

According to the official site, #142 will feature Captain Tsubasa.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

I feel like I see a lot of people in Tokyo wearing sunglasses. Definitely a fashion thing though, hence them being on whilst on Metro trains or in fairly dark airport terminals at 4 in the morning.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
When I think of an Asian man wearing sunglasses, I think of Kim Jong-Il. I wonder if sunglasses could become a social faux pas that way, just like the Hitler 'stash.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
No.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Maxwell Adams posted:

When I think of an Asian man wearing sunglasses, I think of Kim Jong-Il. I wonder if sunglasses could become a social faux pas that way, just like the Hitler 'stash.

Really? My first thought was of

Which is only a marginally less terrible association than Kim Jong-Il.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

(buy the DVD)

By the way, in case people were wondering...

Bumper song for Yuyu's Quiz de Go Go: "Banana no Namida" (Tears of a Banana), sung by Yuuyu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHg5TWX4eUQ

Bumper song for Pilotwings: "Ride on Time" by Tatsurou Yamashita.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYAqQLznG2w

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

"Don't miss Morioka's fierce battle!"

According to the official site, #142 will feature Captain Tsubasa.

I meant to say #143 which will air next Thursday the August 5th. Sounds like a anime/manga licensed game. I wonder what Japanese viewers will think of the Kotaku version of the Golden Axe challenge when the USA DVD is released.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

(buy the DVD)

Loved that scene from the Bonanza Brothers episode.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
You know how when you watch a lot of something or listen to it your inner monologue kind of starts to talk or sound like it? Well right now mine is Arino. And he isn't speaking english, or any kind of real language for that matter. My inner monologue is fake japanese and I am so hosed.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

joek0 posted:

Loved that scene from the Bonanza Brothers episode.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

I've never watched the episode because of KOTAK and all I know of it is this gif. I'm very excited for the DVD even though it's been called a bad episode.

As to the sunglasses discussion: did transition lenses make it over to Japan? I wear a pair that have the feature so I never have to switch to sunglasses.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I like the Bonanza Bros episode. Not only is it part of the Inoko MAX trilogy, it also has good side segments.

Not that you'll ever get to see them subbed... (Or will you?! We've got plans...)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

I've been wondering if those songs are going to be replaced on the DVD release.

They definitely replaced music in other DVD releases; Mighty Bomb Jack is a really obvious example where the DVD version uses different songs.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

zari-gani posted:

Bumper song for Yuyu's Quiz de Go Go: "Banana no Namida" (Tears of a Banana), sung by Yuuyu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHg5TWX4eUQ
Thank you for posting this... I've had the few seconds that played during the bumpers stuck in my head for the longest time since it's really catchy in a somewhat cheesy kind of way.

Actually, I think that episode is one of my favorite all time episodes, especially since I don't remember much about the other quiz game episodes (I should rewatch those one of these days). It was filled with so many great moments and one of the best team efforts ever displayed on the show even though there was that one point where (very minor, but hilarious spoiler) Arino's manager yelled "GO! GO!" before everyone else.

cronox2 posted:

I'm very excited for the DVD even though it's been called a bad episode.
I remember thinking the episode was pretty good when I watched the Kotaku version, but it had Inoko MAX in it, which makes any episode automatically better when he tries (and usually fails at) playing the featured game. :shobon:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I'm sorry if this question had been asked before. Is the DVD locked to Region 1? I'm living in Australia and can't afford a player for other regions.

zari-gani posted:

Not only is it part of the Inoko MAX trilogy, it also has good side segments.

What trilogy now?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Maybe this is a silly question, but does any of the Game Center CX swag that appears on the show every so often ever show up in online stores, on online auction sites or anything? I'd imagine that quantities are more limited than they appear from their prevalence on the show, and that most of the Japanese fans of the show would hold on to their stuff, but I'd think that somewhere on the internet there'd be a stray Arino or King plush toy.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

toanoradian posted:

I'm sorry if this question had been asked before. Is the DVD locked to Region 1? I'm living in Australia and can't afford a player for other regions.

It's for Region 1 only, but VLC is a free media player for your computer that can play any region.

toanoradian posted:

What trilogy now?

Umihara Kawase, Contra, and Bonanza Bros are the first three episodes introducing/featuring Inoko MAX's ineptitude.

Tewratomeh posted:

Maybe this is a silly question, but does any of the Game Center CX swag that appears on the show every so often ever show up in online stores, on online auction sites or anything?

I check Rakuten and Yahoo Auctions Japan once in a while but have had zero luck finding any swag. I'm lucky that someone I know was able to score me some merchandise from the GCCX booth at Tokyo Game Show years ago.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I just realized season 16 isn't even half done and all but one challenge is a two-parter. And only one of those games really deserved it! (IMO.) Maybe someone isn't listening to Fujimoto's lecture about editing...

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Why is the banana crying?

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

zari-gani posted:

It's for Region 1 only, but VLC is a free media player for your computer that can play any region.

Some computer/laptop dvd players have the region encoding in the firmware so that not even VLC can get around it. Or at least that used to be a thing a few years ago. Something to watch out for.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

rdbbb posted:

I just realized season 16 isn't even half done and all but one challenge is a two-parter. And only one of those games really deserved it! (IMO.) Maybe someone isn't listening to Fujimoto's lecture about editing...

Yeaaah, I was surprised this season was going to have so many episodes but if they keep this up it'll be the same amount of games as the previous seasons. I'm not crazy about the choice of two-parters either.

redmercer posted:

Why is the banana crying?

Banana = boy. I gave the song a rough translation so people can feel free to interpret it.

"Tears of a Banana"

Boys' feelings are a question mark; I don't understand
Boys' feelings are a question mark; So mysterious, so strange!

The evening skies turn red and he's in a bad mood
We came all the way out to the beach, just the two of us
He was so full of energy before
Nothing can be done; he's acting stubborn
He turns his back to me and says "I hate being just friends like this!"

Stunned!
Tears of a banana; twinkles in his eye
Tears of a banana; he's blaming himself

Girls' feelings are delicate; What should I do?
Girls' feelings are delicate; I'm fretting, I'm beat!

He crouches by the sands, sulking
Scrawling out his feelings with his finger
Being lovey-dovey like lovers is fine but
Love isn't that simple

You dummy! Turn this way and brush away your hair
I'll give you a special kiss. You really are high-maintenance

Teeheehee!
Tears of a banana; It's good to stay honest
Tears of a banana; Like a fruit, remain unripe

Boys' feelings are a question mark; So worrisome
Boys' feelings are a question mark; I give up! Sorry

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

zari-gani posted:

(Or will you?! We've got plans...)

I'm excited, but in a happy, patient way, free of expectations.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Lock posted:

Some computer/laptop dvd players have the region encoding in the firmware so that not even VLC can get around it. Or at least that used to be a thing a few years ago. Something to watch out for.

With AnyDVD you can get past those limitations, so the way to proceed is download free trial of AnyDVD, rip it with tool included in AnyDVD, and make you own backup of the disc.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rdbbb posted:

But he played so hard! How could they cut any of that!

I have to wonder if the two parters selection is because of their shooting schedule. Arino was unavailable for some reason so they needed to stretch Captain Tsubasa (though given how popular that game is in Japan it may be a situation where they felt they could play it for two hours).

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

zari-gani posted:

Umihara Kawase, Contra, and Bonanza Bros are the first three episodes introducing/featuring Inoko MAX's ineptitude.
Inoko MAX only seemed completely inept because he immediately followed Urakawa. But he was okay at video games. A normal amount.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

But he played so hard! How could they cut any of that!

Sasano must be shaking his fist at all these two-parters after going through the trauma of editing Mega Man 2.

The Season 0 Capcom episode seems to have attracted a lot of attention. No doubt because it's about Capcom and a bunch of other games popular in North America (hence why I chose it). Are in-depth video interviews with Japanese game creators from the early 2000s rare? It'll be a while before I feel like doing another one of these but I'd eventually like to do the other company focus episodes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
It's pretty rare to see devs go "yeah here's the folder full of the original concept art check it out and point the camera at it" and talk about games in their early stages, and there is a pretty large internet interest in that sort of content, so yeah it's pretty neat stuff.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

zari-gani posted:

Are in-depth video interviews with Japanese game creators from the early 2000s rare?

Absolutely. They're full of extremely interesting bits of information and help paint a picture of how things may have been at the company during that time.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Yeah, there's definitely a community of people out there that ate the stuff like Leon being named Grant Bitman (best name) and the concept art up. More whenever you get around to it would definitely be appreciated by myself and a bunch of other people.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

The latest episode revealed two things that are going to be on the GCCX in USA DVD.

One is "The Guy Inside My Head," a mobile site exclusive segment where staff members draw video game characters from memory.

(Ninja Gaiden Ryu by Producer Nagatake)

And the other is...

The Kotaku version of Golden Axe.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

zari-gani posted:

The Kotaku version of Golden Axe.

What? Why?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

It's probably along the lines of how we wanted to see those My Neighbor Seinfeld episodes re-re-translated back into English and subtitled. The fact that it's of really poor quality will make it even funnier.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Didn't think Homestar Runner was popular in Japan.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I talked about the Kotaku version being in the DVD a few posts back. Got no respones to it. Glad zarigani brought it up. Hope they add a DVD exclusive challenge. Funny to see Japanse reactions to Kotaku's version.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Emalde posted:

Absolutely. They're full of extremely interesting bits of information and help paint a picture of how things may have been at the company during that time.
It's also neat to see developers talk about a game years and years after it's left the market. It means they're actually talking about the process of making it and what they loved and hated about it, instead of trying to sell it to us.

No one's making money off of Hang On, so he could tell us what he really thought about it, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

joek0 posted:

I talked about the Kotaku version being in the DVD a few posts back. Got no respones to it. Glad zarigani brought it up. Hope they add a DVD exclusive challenge. Funny to see Japanse reactions to Kotaku's version.

Oh yeah, I saw that but I got the impression it was more of a 'wouldn't it be funny if' thing, not something that was actually going to happen.