Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Watching Sherlock after watching the latest movie. This is a pretty drat good show... or whatever it is. Has some nice production values and acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

kloa posted:

Coupling which, despite the laugh track, is pretty hilarious.

The stupid giggle loop has ruined me and a few friends forever.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Bown posted:

Powered through both seasons of Boardwalk Empire over the past week or so. First season was drat good, albeit somewhat predictable when it came to the overall character arcs. Season 2, though, now THAT'S a season of television. Sometimes it gets a little obvious with the whole "look! this trivial line of dialogue has another meaning relating to the characters in some way!" thing, but it's drat well-shot and acted, the dialogue is tremendous, and it always pulls off the big scenes superbly. Also Michael Shannon is so good ungh

Boardwalk Empire, despite only have 2 seasons, is already in my top 3 shows shows currently still in production.

In a few years I can only hope this will be a widely popular sentiment.

(The other 2 are Mad Men and Breaking Bad).

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I never got past the first season-ish of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, but decided to dive in (midway through the 4th season now). Overall it's not bad as long as you know what you're signing up for (I'll take a stab: Seinfeld format with the amoral selfishness of the cast cranked up to 11). Still it can really run hot and cold for me. Sometimes the gags are too predictable and/or the executions are just flat and boring. And then other times I have to pause it because I'm still laughing at something and missing more follow-up punchlines.

Also, unless I'm the only poor sod whose never heard of it here in the states, if you're a fan of dry, cutting british comedy and haven't seen The Thick Of It, you're missing a prized specimen of the category. For some reason it's quite a bit less known over here (my canadian in-laws who imbibe british books and TV by the truckload never heard of it either: they loved it). Though its spinoff movie In The Loop (which is also a definite watch) gets a lot more recognition around here. Be forewarned that if you try to marathon the show you might want to have some blood pressure medication around because holy poo poo does it has some confrontational and verbally combative stuff.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Bhaal posted:

Also, unless I'm the only poor sod whose never heard of it here in the states, if you're a fan of dry, cutting british comedy and haven't seen The Thick Of It, you're missing a prized specimen of the category. For some reason it's quite a bit less known over here (my canadian in-laws who imbibe british books and TV by the truckload never heard of it either: they loved it). Though its spinoff movie In The Loop (which is also a definite watch) gets a lot more recognition around here. Be forewarned that if you try to marathon the show you might want to have some blood pressure medication around because holy poo poo does it has some confrontational and verbally combative stuff.

Check out Veep. It's an HBO show also created by Armando Iannucci and it is just as good as The Thick of It (minus Malcom Tucker. You just can't replace Malcolm Tucker. oval office.).

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Charlie Jade, currently streaming on Netflix. This is a great show, I love the tone and intricate plot. Good pacing as well.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

Made my way through Game of Thrones after hemming and hawing about it for so long. Enjoyed it a lot.

Working my way through Breaking Bad now. I think I'm enjoying it, but I'm finding it hard to watch more than one episode a day. Not because it's bad though.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I just finished the first two seasons of Game of Thrones. I like the high production values and everything Peter Dinklage says, but the dragons born in the climactic final scene of the first season have now spent an entire season doing nothing, and winter still hasn't come. Maybe I'll check back in another two seasons' time.

Also, am I not paying enough attention, or is there only one actual throne?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

qntm posted:

Besides the Iron Throne there are several others across the kingdoms, e.g. the Seastone Chair (the throne of the Iron Islands, where Theon et al. are from).

less laughter fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 21, 2012

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

qntm posted:

I just finished the first two seasons of Game of Thrones. I like the high production values and everything Peter Dinklage says, but the dragons born in the climactic final scene of the first season have now spent an entire season doing nothing, and winter still hasn't come. Maybe I'll check back in another two seasons' time.

If you didn't enjoy the war and politicking and scheming of the second season, then I doubt you will enjoy this series at all.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Don't get me wrong, it's a highly watchable show. It just feels like pieces being put into place, in preparation for the real conflict to rear its head and the real show to actually start.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

qntm posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's a highly watchable show. It just feels like pieces being put into place, in preparation for the real conflict to rear its head and the real show to actually start.

Well if it follows the books closely, expect that to happen in season twelve.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

Skellen posted:

Charlie Jade, currently streaming on Netflix. This is a great show, I love the tone and intricate plot. Good pacing as well.

Oh man, Charlie Jade! I picked it up a couple of years ago on a recommendation, it's a brilliant little show. Skellen, it's worth reading the 'Season Two Bible' if you can (it's free online), it's where the writers would have taken the show next. Ends very well as it is, though.

For those who don't know, Charlie Jade is built on the principle of three parallel universes (it came out before Fringe): Alpha, which is massively technologically advanced and polluted; Beta, which is our universe; and Gamma, which is relatively modern but far more environmentally sound. A mega-corporation from Alpha finds a way to bridge the universes and intends to essentially steal all of the natural resources from Gamma.

A private investigator from Alpha and a woman trying to protect Gamma wind up in our world, Beta, in Cape Town, South Africa. They meet one of our own PIs and they all try to stop the corporation (which also has a presence in Beta) from carrying out its plans. They conflict with 01 Boxer, who I won't spoil but who is a believable villain. It's very intricate, and also very human.

Seriously, check it out, it's great.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
I'm on a Tim Olyphant kick. Did Justified, now I'm working on Deadwood.

I've liked that dude since I saw him as the pimp in "Girl Next Door."

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Deadwood :swoon:

Now I know what I'm re-watching next.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

EddieDean posted:

They conflict with 01 Boxer, who I won't spoil but who is a believable villain.

Awesome villain who has his own awesome theme music that starts playing whenever he appears on screen.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Nearly done with the first season of American Horror Story. I'll be watching the season finale tonight. Also just started watching Prison Break over the weekend, good show so far.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
Just munched through 4 seasons of breaking bad. I'm 4 episodes into s1 of Mad men. Think I'll catch up on American Horror Story since it got a second season, I watched the first episode and although I enjoyed it it felt like cancellation bait.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After something like four years on and off, I'm into the final season of Seinfeld. Absolutely the best sitcom of all time. I was expecting a drop in quality after Larry David left but it's been just as good as before.

Once I'm finally done I'll get started with Curb. I've seen the first couple episodes before and not really liked it at all, to be honest, but the consensus seems to be that it gets a ton better and I love individual scenes I've seen on YouTube.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Daria. The complete series on dvd.

I'm flippin' over how awesome and fleshed-out so may of the characters are, despite the broad strokes of the jokes. What's really remarkable is how nearly every point the show makes is exactly as relevant now as they were back then: teenyboppy magazines that market to and exploit braindead teens rather than open their eyes to the world are everywhere and Sick, Sad World is basically the entirety of television, among many other things.

All of which is deeply, deeply depressing.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
In the mood to re-start West Wing and Life on Mars. :dance:
Then maybe Malcolm in the Middle as it makes me feel like I'm not a total failure as a parent.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dancingthroughlife posted:

In the mood to re-start West Wing and Life on Mars. :dance:
Then maybe Malcolm in the Middle as it makes me feel like I'm not a total failure as a parent.

I'm getting ready to make another run through The Venture Brothers.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

qntm posted:

Book 3 (season 3 and 4 if the show gets there) is where all the cool stuff happens.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I've been using my free netflix trial to go through the Dilbert animated cartoon again. It's been a really good time for the most part. some eps are hit and miss but for the most part it's pretty spot on humor to me..

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I just finished Season 1 of Veronica Mars, which I watched years ago, enjoyed, but mostly forgot about, and she saw for the first time and loved. We're going to tear through Seasons 2 and 3 next, even though I hear they aren't as good.

I'm also catching up with Breaking Bad Season 4 as they slowly trickle the episodes onto Bright House OnDemand, hopefully to be done in time for the Season 5 premiere in two weeks.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
I just started Jericho because Annakie recommended it and I love post-apocalypse stuff, and I'm five episodes in and really digging it so far! Not in love with any of the characters yet (other than Bill, but only because I loved him on Supernatural) but I assume attachment will come with time. I can't wait to see where they go with this. I know it got seven episodes after it was originally canceled - does this mean it all gets wrapped up? I need to brace myself if it's not a satisfying ending.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife and I just finished Season 1 of Veronica Mars, which I watched years ago, enjoyed, but mostly forgot about, and she saw for the first time and loved. We're going to tear through Seasons 2 and 3 next, even though I hear they aren't as good.

I really liked season 2, though you're right it isn't as good as season 1, but I'm a big fan of Logan so that added to it I'm sure. I actually never watched 3, I'd heard that it was better to pretend the show just ended after 2.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just finished all 4 season (and 2 movies) of The Pretender. Man, do I miss this show and wish they would finish the story. Just makes me sad watching it all and not having anything end.
I completely forgot Jeffery Donovan (Burn Notice) was Jarod's brother in this!

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Seasons 2 and 3 are still fairly good. It's not like a significant drop in quality or anything.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Blitzed through Friday Night Lights. It's been said before but this is an incredible show and you should watch it. It's about so much more than high school (either drama or football). It has its ups and downs but the last two seasons are some of the best TV I've ever seen.

Making my way through Supernatural now. I remember catching the first few episodes when it first started and losing interest around ep 3 or 4. Just finished the first season and this show is really going places. Also some episodes are legit scary and I probably shouldn't watch them alone in my apartment at 1am. :ohdear:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Tailored Sauce posted:

Nearly done with the first season of American Horror Story. I'll be watching the season finale tonight. Also just started watching Prison Break over the weekend, good show so far.

Stop watching Prison Break after season 2.

Thank me later.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Jethrosoup posted:

Recently finished watching the entire run of Malcolm in the Middle on Netflix. Highly enjoyable.

Malcolm was really fun in the beginning, but it started to get a little stale in the end, but still had me laughing all the way to the end. The guest stars where the best part of the show. Although things changed when Jamie came in, it got a little odd that no one else realized that he was also smart, smarter than Malcolm at times, it still was good.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Lord Yod posted:

Making my way through Supernatural now. I remember catching the first few episodes when it first started and losing interest around ep 3 or 4. Just finished the first season and this show is really going places. Also some episodes are legit scary and I probably shouldn't watch them alone in my apartment at 1am. :ohdear:

If you liked season 1, just wait til you get to seasons 4 and 5. They are mind-blowingly amazing. Plus Misha Collins :swoon: joins the show!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

screenwritersblues posted:

Malcolm was really fun in the beginning, but it started to get a little stale in the end, but still had me laughing all the way to the end. The guest stars where the best part of the show. Although things changed when Jamie came in, it got a little odd that no one else realized that he was also smart, smarter than Malcolm at times, it still was good.

After you watch Malcolm in the Middle watch Breaking Bad.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I just finished binging "The Firm" 2012 over a few days and found it to be some of the most gripping, entertaining TV I have seen in a long time. Not one episode failed to keep me glued to my seat. I found the conspiracy storyline and the cases of the week to be engaging and enjoyable.

And then I read that it had been critically panned and cancelled. Could someone explain to me why I am wrong and this show sucked? If you haven't watched it, it's on Hulu and I highly suggest any binging types give it a shot.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 4, 2012

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I just finished binging "The Firm" 2012 over a few days and found it to be some of the most gripping, entertaining TV I have seen in a long time. Not one episode failed to keep me glued to my seat. I found the conspiracy storyline and the cases of the week to be engaging and enjoyable.

And then I read that it had been critically panned and cancelled. Could someone explain to me why I am wrong and this show sucked? If you haven't watched it, it's on Hulu and I highly suggest any binging types give it a shot.

I only watched the first few minutes of the first episode but if I remember correctly it featured Josh Lucas being chased through the city in a suit with his briefcase in a scene obviously meant to be reminiscent of the extended chase in the movie. At one point he calls his wife, and says something like "Abbey, it's happening again!"

Then I turned it off. Like I said I only saw the first few minutes but it just seemed like it was trying way too hard and subsequently it came off a bit cheesy. Combined with the horrible reviews I'd heard it was getting I just figured there were better things I could be watching.

However, I'm always up for a good serial drama/thriller and would be interested in giving it another look if you could expound a bit on what was good about it, and why you like it so much. You mentioned cases of the week, is it heavily episodic or pretty serial?

e: To add to the thread, I recently caught up on the last half of the first season of Wilfred that I'd missed. It was pretty good for what it was; light comedy and what not. I also marathoned the first 4 or so episodes of Continuum and was surprised how much I liked it.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 4, 2012

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I blitzed through the last three seasons (almost, still working on 4) in about a week and a half. My next project is going to be Mad Men. Gonna be a fun month or two.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

-Blackadder- posted:

I only watched the first few minutes of the first episode but if I remember correctly it featured Josh Lucas being chased through the city in a suit with his briefcase in a scene obviously meant to be reminiscent of the extended chase in the movie. At one point he calls his wife, and says something like "Abbey, it's happening again!"

Then I turned it off. Like I said I only saw the first few minutes but it just seemed like it was trying way too hard and subsequently it came off a bit cheesy. Combined with the horrible reviews I'd heard it was getting I just figured there were better things I could be watching.

However, I'm always up for a good serial drama/thriller and would be interested in giving it another look if you could expound a bit on what was good about it, and why you like it so much. You mentioned cases of the week, is it heavily episodic or pretty serial?

It's a slightly weird format. For the most part there is a case of the week each episode, like any procedural, they are mostly well written murder cases. There is a conspiracy plot on the side that develops as the episodes go by, and the chase scene from the first episode is flashed forwarded to/expanded on at the start and end of each episode. They do this for 6 episodes before it catches up, do the same sort of thing for the next part of the conspiracy plotline until around episode 12 where they mostly drop the flash forwards and the initial conspiracy mostly gets wrapped up.

After that there is more cases of the week and the season ends with the mob plotline. I don't really know what to say about why I liked this out of all the crime shows, but I liked the characters, the drama and tension, the comic relief, and I thought they had some interesting legal questions involved in the cases.

I would watch the entire two part pilot before I made a decision, the chase scene is kind of cheesy and gets repeated to death in the flashes but the plotline behind it is a good slow burn mystery with a satisfying resolution.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
I've just binged through all seven seasons of The Shield, it was a glorious experience. Really glad I finally watched it especially after watching the Wire earlier this year and Breaking Bad as it progressed. Looking forward to the new season of BB too.

I'm literally at the start of the last episode now (10:27pm NZ time 04/07/12) so I haven't seen the ending but I'm loving it so far. I can't imagine I'll be disappointed.

Here I go!

Saskatoon
Sep 17, 2010

It took a month but I watched King of the Hill from beginning to end. I always liked the show before but now I'm convinced that its a masterpiece. I think To Sirloin with Love was the ideal way to end that series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beck
Dec 8, 2003
It's a bit late, but I just finished Stargate SG-1/Atlantis/Universe over the course of many months. Overall it was a good ride that I'd recommend to anyone into sci-fi stuff.

SG-1 was my favorite overall, but I'm sure that's the norm. Definitely will be the show to rewatch a few years down the road. The first few episodes of Atlantis were a shell shock. It was a bad start (only the first 1/2 season) that found its niche pretty quickly. Once it got into its groove, it was as enjoyable as the later seasons of SG-1. Universe does get a bad wrap, but it's deserved because of how hard the first season was to finish. I actually stopped watching for almost 2 months before muscling through the rest of season 1 and finishing it off. The ending was pretty good, but it can't outweigh the really tedious parts.

Up next is probably Life on Mars.