Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are any of the total overhaul mods for NTW good?

I just reinstalled NTW and I've been using this mod:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1623
La Montee De L'Empire

So far so good. It doesn't radically alter vanilla, just generally makes everything a little more epic.

Adds about a billion units, cranks up the unit sizes to around 200+, better sound effects, awesome smoke during battles, better battle balance, ect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If my PC wasn't terrible, I'd certainly get the mod that triples the amount of soldiers you can have on the battlefield.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
After installing a mod you can still choose to play vanilla right? I don't know how the steam directories work. :(

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The mod I linked has a launcher where you can choose a bunch of the mods campaigns, or play vanilla.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
What's the general consensus on Fall of the Samurai? Civ 5's expansion triggered my yearly strategy binge. I bought Shogun 2 when it came out, does FotS add/change enough besides just some units to be worth it or should I just stick with the base game?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

FOTS is alright, looks pretty, decently researched with the right way to handle Realm Divide.

The Clan DLC is crap, avoid or buy on during a STEAM sale. Everything else with it was pretty alright.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
If you liked the scene in The Last Samurai where the samurai army charges and instantly gets mowed down by gatling guns, you'll like FotS. I'd say the new campaign is as good as the base game.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Fall of the Samurai is great and easily my favourite Total War in ages.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

John Charity Spring posted:

Fall of the Samurai is great and easily my favourite Total War in ages.

For sure. I'm a little sad that they're going back to Rome, because I really think they're just hitting their stride with gunpowder.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Fall of the Samurai is my favourite out of all the gunpowder Total War games. FotS is pretty polished so it is still really fun even if you found ETW or NTW not to your liking.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

VDay posted:

What's the general consensus on Fall of the Samurai? Civ 5's expansion triggered my yearly strategy binge. I bought Shogun 2 when it came out, does FotS add/change enough besides just some units to be worth it or should I just stick with the base game?

It's a solid expansion, but only if you like gun based battles.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Toss me into the "might buy during the steam summer sale" group. Is the unit variety any better in FOTS? That was one of my biggest issues with Shogun 2. It's difficult to go from Rome or Stainless Steel over to Shogun with its completely identical clans, all sharing relatively few unit types. The other things I didn't really like were the very hard rock-paper-scissors gameplay and how melee didn't feel anywhere near as weighty as previous games (which I assume isn't as big of an issue with guns being the focus of the expansion).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

FOTS has unit variety, though a lot more on the Imperial side than the traditionalist side.

The Ironclad ships look excellent too.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Vargs posted:

Toss me into the "might buy during the steam summer sale" group. Is the unit variety any better in FOTS? That was one of my biggest issues with Shogun 2. It's difficult to go from Rome or Stainless Steel over to Shogun with its completely identical clans, all sharing relatively few unit types. The other things I didn't really like were the very hard rock-paper-scissors gameplay and how melee didn't feel anywhere near as weighty as previous games (which I assume isn't as big of an issue with guns being the focus of the expansion).
There's more unit variety than shogun, though not nearly enough. It's the main reason I'm itching for Rome 2. It's been four games since we had one with some real faction difference.

Speaking of, assuming its next, how do you think multiplayer will be handled in Rome 2? I'm hoping they don't go the Shogun/Fots route of allowing all unit types from all factions to be mixed however you like, but I'm not sure how they would square multiple factions with avatar progression. Perhaps an avatar per faction?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I think RTW 2 is going to sink or swim depending on how open modding is. Without a doubt far more so than the last few games anyway. Think about it, this is the first remake in the series of a highly modded game. People are so used to all of the incredible features that were introduced in the big RTW mods that not having them in the base game is going to be a shock.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Shorter Than Some posted:

There's more unit variety than shogun, though not nearly enough. It's the main reason I'm itching for Rome 2. It's been four games since we had one with some real faction difference.

Speaking of, assuming its next, how do you think multiplayer will be handled in Rome 2? I'm hoping they don't go the Shogun/Fots route of allowing all unit types from all factions to be mixed however you like, but I'm not sure how they would square multiple factions with avatar progression. Perhaps an avatar per faction?

CA has done some gamey stuff but I don't think they would just pile all the units into one big pool like they did with shogun 2 multiplayer. It just wouldn't make sense. In Shogun 2 all the different factions share the same units (with some stat changes), in every other TW game they have pretty distinct rosters.

An avatar for each faction would be brutal to level up and wouldn't make any sense unless each faction had a unique tree for general abilities. You probably just get one avatar and your abilities are generic and across all factions.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think RTW 2 is going to sink or swim depending on how open modding is. Without a doubt far more so than the last few games anyway. Think about it, this is the first remake in the series of a highly modded game. People are so used to all of the incredible features that were introduced in the big RTW mods that not having them in the base game is going to be a shock.

It will be less open to modding. The engine will be more complex than any before it and I don't think we will ever see the RTW massive scale of mods again. They even opened up ETW and NTW to modding by releasing as much as they could, but we don't see those kind of mods anymore. On the other hand they have sort of shifted more and more focus onto multiplayer, which I like. I loved Roma Surrectum 2 and I still play modded NTW but nothing will ever give their AI a real brain, and I really hope more and more people get into the multiplayer aspect of it. I hope they really encourage the drop in battle feature from both the player requesting it and the player dropping in.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 27, 2012

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think you're dramatically out of touch. The vast majority of players don't mod their games, period. The chances increase the more a title is unapproachable and obscure (such that you're more likely to Google about it or check out fan forums), but Total War titles are still very much a popular, mainstream, actually-sells-in-brick-and-mortar-stores kind of game.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have never played RTW with a single mod and enjoyed it thoroughly regardless. Go, my ridiculously overpowered post-Marian legions, and crush all before you!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I've completely forgotten how to play Shogun 2, what's the best way to take a castle? I bring cannons and take down the gates, defenses, and whatever units I can but then I run out of ammo and am stuck trying to assault 1,000 dudes that are all packed together and I'm too far from shore to bring in a naval strike. Should I just not attack if there's that many units defending?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

VDay posted:

So I've completely forgotten how to play Shogun 2, what's the best way to take a castle? I bring cannons and take down the gates, defenses, and whatever units I can but then I run out of ammo and am stuck trying to assault 1,000 dudes that are all packed together and I'm too far from shore to bring in a naval strike. Should I just not attack if there's that many units defending?

In order to sieze a castle you need to be able to hit on multiple fronts and overwhelm the defenders, capturing the keep for the timer duration is often the easiest and least dangerous way to sieze the castle, since the enemy will fight to the death in the main courtyard. You can take advantage of the fact that the enemy will rout in the outer areas to break a flank and quickly capitalise on the ensuing chaos.

If you don't have the forces to overwhelm the enemy from multiple sides, then you should really be starving the defenders out, since a frontal assualt will tend to be pyrrhic with the defenders fighting to the last man.

The cannons should really be used to clear a path up the walls, since destroyed walls seem to be easier to climb and also don't provide cover for the units defending them.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Enemies on a wall when destroyed will also suffer large losses so that's a bonus.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Also, if you're playing FOTS, bring a couple of Katana units, as they'll carve through garrison units easily and their main weakness (getting shot to pieces while charging) is negated by the enemy dodging cannon fire.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

VDay posted:

I just autoresolve, myself. Much less hassle.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Tomn posted:

I just autoresolve, myself. Much less hassle.

Autoresolve does have an interesting quirk in that it doesn't take fortifications into account when doing the strength calculations and resolution. It's often possible to take a fort with autoresolve that you couldn't hope to take in the realtime combat. By the same token, you should pretty much always fight your defensive battles in realtime as otherwise you are throwing away a huge advantage.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
If it really is Rome 2, I hope they learn from some of the more historically accurate mods that history can be very fun if you take the time to make it work. I hope the city building aspect of recent TW is improved - I don't like Shogun's system which requires my cities to be highly specialized and pre-planned to work well, I'd rather have cities grow as much as you want so I can have one really big city pumping out everything and smaller cities pumping out a good variety rather than levies + 1 kind of improved unit.

Also gently caress the Mummy Returns Egyptians, that poo poo was always horrible. If you can't have a good time fighting a successor state army, then perhaps Rome isn't the right era for you.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

VanSandman posted:

If it really is Rome 2, I hope they learn from some of the more historically accurate mods that history can be very fun if you take the time to make it work.
I doubt most people really care; people didn't care about the historical inaccuracy of Medieval 2, or Shogun 2. What I hope they learn from Rome modding is that they shouldn't try to be as historically accurate as possible, as there will always be people with more time, more knowledge and less important social lives who are able to pick up the slack.

What they need to learn from RTW isn't accuracy, it's modability.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VanSandman posted:

Also gently caress the Mummy Returns Egyptians, that poo poo was always horrible. If you can't have a good time fighting a successor state army, then perhaps Rome isn't the right era for you.

The best part was unpatched Rome when Egyptian cavalry was bugged and had the same numbers as infantry.

Hope you like 120 Egyptian axe wielding Pharaoh loyalists on horses! :black101:

That and archers firing in a straight line, right into your infantry's neck :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I hope the Naval Battles boarding stuff will be more detailed, they should experiment with ship scale and try it anyways.

Was always kind of sad the boarding element of previous Total Wars boiled down simply too 'have more guys, make sure they aren't as pissed and hurt as the other guys'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

I hope the Naval Battles boarding stuff will be more detailed, they should experiment with ship scale and try it anyways.

Was always kind of sad the boarding element of previous Total Wars boiled down simply too 'have more guys, make sure they aren't as pissed and hurt as the other guys'.

That's basically what all of war, land or sea, is about. I'm not sure what more you want.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alchenar posted:

That's basically what all of war, land or sea, is about. I'm not sure what more you want.

Well I was just being a little too general there. What I mean was it'd be nice if the ships were big enough and our crew was more flexible and had more options to fight out a slightly more cramped smaller version of a proper battle on the ships decks.

Might sound fiddily to some, but I'd enjoy it.

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well I was just being a little too general there. What I mean was it'd be nice if the ships were big enough and our crew was more flexible and had more options to fight out a slightly more cramped smaller version of a proper battle on the ships decks.

That sounds cool but how would that work when you also have the rest of the battle to worry about? Pausing everything else would be pretty unrealistic and offloading control of the rest of the fleet to the AI... well, we all know how that would turn out.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

3 Tablets Daily posted:

That sounds cool but how would that work when you also have the rest of the battle to worry about? Pausing everything else would be pretty unrealistic and offloading control of the rest of the fleet to the AI... well, we all know how that would turn out.

It would sadly be too ambitious and require proper AI coding from CA.

I was thinking maybe with the smaller ships in battles with the numbers under four the fighting could go into more detail and as the numbers got bigger with the ship sizes we'd get the default naval fighting stuff.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

VanSandman posted:

If it really is Rome 2, I hope they learn from some of the more historically accurate mods that history can be very fun if you take the time to make it work.

I don't see a huge problem here since after Rome the units have looked fairly historically accurate. Not perfect, as the various spergs from the history nuts has shown, but enough that Johnny Layman doesn't have a clue and thinks that Braveheart/Patriot/Sharpe has been nailed perfectly, while Rome had even the most history-ignorant thinking the Egyptians looked a bit odd.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't think the ships are big enough for that. Boarding actions on Triremes would pretty much play out the same as attacking a wall, with tactics boiling down to either piling into the middle or attacking from the sides. Besides, who cares about boarding when you can set your ship for RAMMING SPEED! :black101:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

It would sadly be too ambitious and require proper AI coding from CA.

I was thinking maybe with the smaller ships in battles with the numbers under four the fighting could go into more detail and as the numbers got bigger with the ship sizes we'd get the default naval fighting stuff.

That sounds like an utterly terrible idea.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeanBeansShako posted:

This is stretching it, but what would really make naval combat great would be ability to recruit the marines you want to put on a ship. Cartage, Athens, Syracuse and Rome all had fame for having great marines that could do boarding missions with and fight with Excellency. Make it so you can load a unit on to a ship and use that unit as the boarding soldiers.

Alchenar posted:

That sounds like an utterly terrible idea.

How is that a terrible idea? The Classical era was all about ramming and boarding. Only the biggest and most expensive ships had any decent amount of artillery. To not develop the boarding system would be to ignore a great portion of naval warfare. Napoleon's naval battles were good but i don't think a bunch of ships firing arrows at each other would be exciting.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Mans posted:

Napoleon's naval battles were good but i don't think a bunch of ships firing arrows at each other would be exciting.

That's pretty much the extent of Shogun 2 naval battles, and no, it isn't exciting.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mans posted:

How is that a terrible idea? The Classical era was all about ramming and boarding. Only the biggest and most expensive ships had any decent amount of artillery. To not develop the boarding system would be to ignore a great portion of naval warfare. Napoleon's naval battles were good but i don't think a bunch of ships firing arrows at each other would be exciting.

Yeah, if the focus is on ramming and boarding it'll be awesome. If it isn't, it'll be meh.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, since it is summer, the summer sale has hit and a several other issues I'm putting Goony Officer Club multiplayer events on hold for a few months.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, since it is summer, the summer sale has hit and a several other issues I'm putting Goony Officer Club multiplayer events on hold for a few months.
The sale hasn't hit yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Shorter Than Some posted:

The sale hasn't hit yet...

I hear attendence has been low to non existant now sadly :(.