Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Edit : nothing to see here, stupid is as stupid does...

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

If you're a low-usage user and not picky about phones, we over at [url=http://ting.com] can be EXTREMELY competitive. A $70 Kyocera Brio or $140 Kyocero Milano both have QWERTY.

I'd really recommend our Samsung Transform at $205 though. Still QWERTY and you get a lot more bang for your buck compared to the cut-rate LGs and Kyoceras, and it ships with Android 2.3. (Not the best but not the worst). Our $170 LG Optimus ships with Swype (one of the best touchscreen keyboards) but really struggles on Android 2.3. (Runs fine if you never upgrade :p ) It's really worth it to spend the extra $45 for the Samung, imo.

Our monthly plans, quite frankly, speak for themselves at low usage. 100 minutes nationwide, 1000 texts, and 100 megabytes totals $17/mo+tax. If you use more, we just bump you to our next plan up for the category you used. (Using up to 500mb per month increases your bill to $27) If you use less than you signed up for, you get a credit. You can even sign up for zero usage and we'll just charge you for the plan you actually used. I think we have a huge advantage here compared to the big guys. :)

I'm only shilling because it sounds like you're an ideal Ting customer, and I think we have a compelling product for you. :) Did I mention we have no-hold-time in-house customer service, and no hidden fees? (not even an activation charge!)

If you're interested, fire away on questions or call our number. Before you sign up, though, make sure to PM me. ;)

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Ting would be a lot more interesting if you guys were an MVNO for anyone other than Sprint.

It's pretty funny (refreshing?) to see people talking about CDMA Workshop and ESN/MEID donors in the official support forums, though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LiquidRain posted:

Our monthly plans, quite frankly, speak for themselves at low usage. 100 minutes nationwide, 1000 texts, and 100 megabytes totals $17/mo+tax. If you use more, we just bump you to our next plan up for the category you used. (Using up to 500mb per month increases your bill to $27) If you use less than you signed up for, you get a credit. You can even sign up for zero usage and we'll just charge you for the plan you actually used. I think we have a huge advantage here compared to the big guys. :)
I don't actually use 5GB a month, but I always use more than 500mb per month. Plus GSM > CDMA (especially on Sprint's network). I'll stick with T-Mo.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

kalibar posted:

Ting would be a lot more interesting if you guys were an MVNO for anyone other than Sprint.

It's pretty funny (refreshing?) to see people talking about CDMA Workshop and ESN/MEID donors in the official support forums, though.
Not being able to bring your own device and being a Sprint MVNO are our biggest hurdles. :( Everyone's anxious for Sprint's LTE rollout here. The fights in the office that broke out when it was announced internally that BYOD wasn't available were intense, and many folks scoffed that we'd have a hard time selling ancient CDMA.

We did look at all carriers for signing up as an MVNO, though. I'm not sure how much I can say, but AT&T was apparently a poo poo show and there wasn't a chance in hell of us being competitive with anyone. Verizon didn't give us the time of day. And at the time T-Mo was about to be gobbled, so we stayed away. Sprint treats itself as just a carrier, AT&T and Verizon like throttling traffic and traffic shaping and what have you. Sprint *likes* operating more as an ISP, just a pipe, whereas AT&T had so many conditions and clauses. Sprint allows us the whole "pay for what you use" model - they invite MVNOs to compete, as Sprint is happy just passing along the bits & bytes over their network. AT&T would have us stuck doing business the way every other carrier does it. Sprint also had a better built MVNO platform than anyone else.

But yeah. Can't blame you (or anyone) for not wanting to be on the Sprint network, honestly. :)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 23, 2012

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Maybe this is a thread to ask about this, couldn't find any voip threads.

Can someone explain to me SIP/VOIP/PBX and all that jazz. I'm trying to setup a phone (Iphone 3g,4,4s or any android/blackberry) to be able to make voip calls over the ZRTP thingy which I've read some about, and seems to be the easiest implementation of encryption for the end user.

But I'm honestly still not sure what I need, I've looked at SIP providers, which seem different from VOIP providers. I've installed couple SIP clients on phones and used Google Voice, but if the goal is to encrypt phonecalls/txts, than Google ad-surfing through all my of my data is not the way to go.

I know Skype is the easy way to go, but they don't offer true encryption of the data so gently caress em, might as well stay with google voice.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

LiquidRain posted:

Everyone's anxious for Sprint's LTE rollout here.
Will Ting get full access to Sprint's LTE network, or is that still up in the air?

I'm hesitant about Sprint MVNOs after my buddy's experience with Virgin. He went from an Optimus S on postpaid Sprint service to an Optimus V on Virgin (who uses Sprint's network) just to save money, and he immediately noticed reduced data speeds along with intermittent "outages" that proper Sprint customers weren't experiencing. Does your guys' traffic have any kind of lower priority than Sprint's? I'm not referring to roaming, just native coverage -- like, if you carried two Optimus S phones around with you with one attached to an $80/month Sprint plan and one attached to Ting, could you expect an identical level of service?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

kalibar posted:

Will Ting get full access to Sprint's LTE network, or is that still up in the air?

I'm hesitant about Sprint MVNOs after my buddy's experience with Virgin. He went from an Optimus S on postpaid Sprint service to an Optimus V on Virgin (who uses Sprint's network) just to save money, and he immediately noticed reduced data speeds along with intermittent "outages" that proper Sprint customers weren't experiencing. Does your guys' traffic have any kind of lower priority than Sprint's? I'm not referring to roaming, just native coverage -- like, if you carried two Optimus S phones around with you with one attached to an $80/month Sprint plan and one attached to Ting, could you expect an identical level of service?
We will be identical for service quality. If not, we can go to Sprint and bitch them out. From what we've been told by our management, we chose Sprint primarily because their management believes in just being a neutral carrier. If this isn't the case our CEO would be really pissed.

Your friend may have just had a lemon for a phone. I've heard of more than a few cases where our Optimus Vs are sent back (to us) for bad reception and crashes.

As for LTE rollout, I'll have to check at the office tomorrow but I'd expect it to come later than Sprint's by an unspecified amount of time. Sprint's network is neutral and open to MVNOs, but they do like reserving halo devices for themselves.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have a question about prepaid services that may be a little abnormal.

So I have Verizon FIOS, and my bill (for internet/phone) went from $55/mo to $85/mo due to promotions expiring. They won't come down at all, so I'm moving to Optimum, which is $60/mo. I'm also porting my number over.

I figured why not just port my home number to Google Voice, and then just forward that to my cell phone. I hardly ever use the home phone, but I'd like to keep the number. So I looked into it, and I can't port a non mobile phone number to GV. I can port it to Virgin Mobile, though, or I'd assume any other prepaid or wireless carrier. Once it's owned by a wireless carrier, I guess I can just port it over to Google Voice, right? I'll use a prepaid plan as a intermediary to get my number to a mobile carrier and then port it to GV.

I have a couple spare GSM phones, so what's the easiest prepaid provider that I can just get a SIM, port my number to it, stick in a phone for a few days that I can use around the house, and then port to Google Voice?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You can only port in from 4 big mobile carrier to google voice (this is a GV limitation.) So you would need to port it to T-Mo prepaid and then port to google voice.

My experience with porting from TMo to gv is pretty straight forward.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

kalibar posted:

Virgin has their own datacenters (?) or at least infrastructure that most MVNO's don't have.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Mister Snips posted:

Virgin has their own datacenters (?) or at least infrastructure that most MVNO's don't have.
That won't affect service quality. The data goes through Sprint's network - Virgin just gets the bill for it.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
There's been multiple text and data outages for only virgin, though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah and Sprint owns Virgin so it's not like they really "get the bill" when it comes down to it.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Then they have one very strange MVNO agreement. All us small guys never see the traffic. Consider me corrected!

Answer to "is our service the same as Sprint's?" is still "yes it is." For better or for worse, at any rate. :)

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Edit: Looks like i got a connection... 2 and a half hours later.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 26, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Did you buy the Nexus retail? If you bought it used, you might have been scammed with a bad ESN phone. Those will show a full signal but get no service.

Also make sure your SIM card isn't installed backwards. I've seen it happen.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Zero VGS posted:

Did you buy the Nexus retail? If you bought it used, you might have been scammed with a bad ESN phone. Those will show a full signal but get no service.

Also make sure your SIM card isn't installed backwards. I've seen it happen.

I bought directly from google. I think the sim is installed correctly (the metal contact is facing down into the phone). I called t-mobile help support and they said it can take 2 to 24 hours for it to activate after we went through a whole bunch of troubleshooting steps. Not sure if that's true or not. Anyone else had to wait for a long time for their phone to activate on their network?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm with AT&T now, and have an iPhone 4. My contract is up in Janurary or February, so I'm probably going to wait until then to switch to pre-paid. I'm just tired of paying $97.50 a month for what I could be paying $55 a month for from Boost.

I realize I'll end up spending $299 on a new phone, and I really don't care that it will be a Android. I'll make that up in 6 months. My big worry is that if the service stinks, I'll have a hard time going back to AT&T since I canceled my contract, or I'll lose my number or something dumb like that.

This is the only phone contract I've ever had so I don't know what to expect switching. I used to handle all the phones for the companies at my past two jobs, first with Nextel and then Verizon. So I'm used to the 15% company discounts on everything (not to mention my employer footing the bill for my phone...)

Are the delays and non-deliveries of texts as bad as people make it out to be?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Are the delays and non-deliveries of texts as bad as people make it out to be?

On Virgin Mobile, I get a delay of a couple hours every so once a week, give or take, it's really annoying. Boost might be better than VM though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

For what its worth, my wife has really only had a few times in a year with a delay, and usually a reboot fixes it so i assume its a phone issue as she is electronically cursed. I have maybe had 1

Officer No Gun
Aug 26, 2003

70sMan
The Galaxy Nexus just dropped to 349.99 from the google play store for anyone looking at using t-mobile (or straight-talk).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Ohhhh the Google I/O convention I forgot all about that. Jesus is that tempting. I have to force myself to hang in there because I got corporate to promise to buy me one in January (start of fiscal year).

Edit :"Soon with Jellybean" uuuuuuhng :awesome:

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 27, 2012

OliverObtuse
Nov 30, 2005

ROCKET FUEL MALT LIQUOR, DAMN!
I'm pretty sure i'm going to buy an unlocked GNEX and port my number from Verizon to google voice. From there, I am thinking Simple Mobile for the 60 dollar plan with unlimited HSPA+. Anyone have another suggestion besides Simple Mobile?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

SIMple mobile will cut you off after 2GB, so you may as well get the plan from T-Mobile directly since it's the exact same plan.

OliverObtuse
Nov 30, 2005

Rastor posted:

SIMple mobile will cut you off after 2GB, so you may as well get the plan from T-Mobile directly since it's the exact same plan.

The only thing I will really be doing outside of wifi is using Spotify sometimes. What do you suggest that will have HSPA+ speeds?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

OliverObtuse posted:

The only thing I will really be doing outside of wifi is using Spotify sometimes. What do you suggest that will have HSPA+ speeds?

Galaxy Nexus, do not buy any other Android phone.

Edit: The "same plan" he's referring to is one of their Value plans, which are non-contract plans just like SIMple.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 28, 2012

OliverObtuse
Nov 30, 2005

Arcsech posted:

Galaxy Nexus, do not buy any other Android phone.

Edit: The "same plan" he's referring to is one of their Value plans, which are non-contract plans just like SIMple.

Yeah im definitely getting the GNEX. I had one on Verizon and absolutely love it. T-Mobile isn't the best around here. I'm starting to think Straight Talk will be the way to go

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Arcsech posted:

The "same plan" he's referring to is one of their Value plans, which are non-contract plans just like SIMple.
Actually I think Value plans have some kind of contract?

I was referring to the T-Mobile Unlimited/Unlimited/2GB $60/month prepaid plan; it's the same as the SIMple Mobile $60/month plan (same T-Mobile towers) only without the MVNO middleman.

OliverObtuse posted:

Yeah im definitely getting the GNEX. I had one on Verizon and absolutely love it. T-Mobile isn't the best around here. I'm starting to think Straight Talk will be the way to go
Yeah on AT&T I would go with Straight Talk, or possibly Red Pocket if you're afraid you'll go heavy on the data and anger their monitoring system.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rastor posted:

Actually I think Value plans have some kind of contract?

Yes, I asked them about it when trying to lower my parents' bill (need to get on that) and you still need to sign a two year contract, just you get a discount for not getting a subsidy on the phone.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Officer No Gun posted:

The Galaxy Nexus just dropped to 349.99 from the google play store for anyone looking at using t-mobile (or straight-talk).

Pretty much sealed the deal for me. GNex on Straight Talk AT&T, here I come!

Definitely going to pick up a Nexus 7 Tablet as well.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Is it possible to get a refund on the T-mobile $30 prepaid? I only used a little bit of data and a couple minutes of calling. I think i'm going to try straight talk (AT&T), at least my co-worker says she gets signals.

Arob1000
Jul 30, 2006
The man, the myth, the legend...
Virgin Mobile has iPhones and the HTC One V as of this morning.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Mister Fister posted:

Is it possible to get a refund on the T-mobile $30 prepaid?
Don't believe so.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah you'd spend an hour on hold with India and come up with nothing. Maybe ask real nice and if Tmo says no, do a chargeback on your credit card. For $30 and nothing tangible to return, your CC company will probably take your side.

Edit: If you value your time, maybe just put up with Tmo for the month, then switch.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Bob Morales posted:

I'm with AT&T now, and have an iPhone 4. My contract is up in Janurary or February, so I'm probably going to wait until then to switch to pre-paid. I'm just tired of paying $97.50 a month for what I could be paying $55 a month for from Boost.

Why not go with Straight Talk? Same AT&T coverage but at $45/month.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Krailor posted:

Why not go with Straight Talk? Same AT&T coverage but at $45/month.

I heard of issues getting iPhone 4's working, using MMS messages, and (even though I only use a couple hundred MB per month) data getting throttled or limited.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Which is the best phone (android and the best iphone) that is available with virgin mobile? My wife is currently on the optimus V which is a bit lovely, and wants an upgrade to something that is not slow and crashy. She's on the 25 dollar prepaid plan.

edit: if she can stay on the 25 dollar plan, so much the better.

redreader fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 29, 2012

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Your only real option to stay on the $25 plan is the Motorola triumph, which has some serious quality control issues and is a bit dated anyhow. If you're willing to pay the extra $10 then you've got the Evo V, Optimus elite, One V and the iphone 4s.

Out of those the iphone is expensive as gently caress at $650 and the optimus elite while supposedly good (and only $150) also isn't that much of an upgrade over the Optimus v, and it doesn't get ICS which the One V and the Evo get. The One V looks good on paper, and reports I've heard from England where it's been out for a month or so sound good but I haven't personally looked at one yet as they just showed up for purchase online today. I have an Evo and I love it, but it's big and $300 so depending on just how much phone you want and are willing to pay for the $200 One V may be your best bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

redreader posted:

upgrade to something that is not slow and crashy.

Not for the faint of heart but I put Quattrimus ICS on my bosses OV and he loves it, it's like twice as fast. Check the beta page but he's been daily driving for a few weeks and I haven't heard a complaint.

• Locked thread