Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Death Proof (No drink, but you have "proof" right there in the title):

-Take a drink when one of the women namedrops a film or band
-Take a drink when Kim or Zoe mention being "gearheads" or talk about stunt work
-Take a drink for every lingering close-up of a foot
-Take two drinks when Stuntman Mike looks at photos of his targets
-Finish your drink when Stuntman Mike breaks the fourth wall or kills anybody on-screen

(and as if that wouldn't get you wasted enough, you could also chug straight whiskey as Kurt Russell is doing the same on-screen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Shanty posted:

Good episode! It's a pretty silly movie, but you get some good mileage out of it! Good idea to bring Cherish back on this one, you guys have some GOOD BANTER. I'm glad you got to the bottom of the "would you do Mary Poppins" issue.
The quiz was a great (but weird) idea, broke up the episode nicely. I'll have to start incorporating prize/punishment shots in our drunken viewings.

No problem, we appreciate the love - I'm glad the quizzes work, I thought it was a decent way to break up the straight-up banter and raise the stakes a bit.

NEXT WEEK: We're doing Rubber. This is a film I have not seen yet, and I'm hearing that goon consensus at least is strongly divided. However, I'm sure we'll get something drinkwise figured out.

If we haven't seen the movie before, we usually try to wait until just before we record to watch it so that it's fresh in our minds. For example, we just recorded WAY ahead of time for our Total Recall episode, which will air on August 2nd - the both of us and our (totally awesome) guest are all so familiar with the movie that sometimes it is hard to bring up all the things we like/want to discuss with it.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Here are the rules I made for Catwoman. No fancy cocktail, just beer.

Take a drink whenever
-There is a swooping CG establishing shot
-Sharon Stone's face appears at least 4 times in the same frame
-Halle Berry is replaced with CG

Chug your beer when
-Halle Berry hisses like a cat.

PS: I dig the podcast.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Hibernator posted:

PS: I dig the podcast.

Thanks! I often feel as though we should do a Catwoman episode, but for the most part we try to strike a balance between "popular" and avoiding the notoriously bad movies that every Internet critic, good or bad, has covered (including that, The Room, Birdemic, Battlefield Earth, etc). We'll probably get around to them eventually, but all the jokes that have been made about them likely have been.

In the meantime, whichever one of you made this suggestion on our website is okay in my book:

Hugh G Rection posted:

You should do Hook, you fucks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Judge Dredd

Drink

Whenever anyone says Law
You hope Rob Schneider gets shot

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

bobkatt013 posted:

Drink

You hope Rob Schneider gets shot

That could pretty much apply to every waking moment of everybody's day. Do you want us to become alcoholics or something?

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

:hydrogen:Watchmen:hydrogen:

Drink: Electric Lemonade

AllRecipes.com posted:

1 (1.5 fluid ounce) jigger citron vodka
1/2 fluid ounce Blue Curacao
2 fluid ounces sour mix
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage
1 lemon - cut into wedges, for garnish

Rules:

-drink every time Dr. Manhattan inadvertently wangs the audience
-drink every time the Smiley Face button makes an appearance
-drink every time you see a terrible hair cut
-drink every time you unnecessary gore / brutality / nudity / sexuality
-drink every time a reference is made to a famous historical event
-waterfall during any intrinsic field scene

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Hilario Baldness posted:

:hydrogen:Watchmen:hydrogen:

Drink: Electric Lemonade

Rules:

-drink every time Dr. Manhattan inadvertently wangs the audience
-drink every time the Smiley Face button makes an appearance
-drink every time you see a terrible hair cut
-drink every time you unnecessary gore / brutality / nudity / sexuality
-drink every time a reference is made to a famous historical event
-waterfall during any intrinsic field scene

Very nice - though the haircuts in Watchmen were all awesome, I don't know to whom you are referring. :colbert:

We're recording for Rubber tonight - Jared watched the film last night for drink ideas, but I'm going in fresh. Wish me luck!

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
A friend and I tried out the Fifth Element drinking game last night.

The third act turns into a constant stream of drinking as you frantically try to keep up with all the stammering people in newer, dumber-looking costumes.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Jay Dub posted:

A friend and I tried out the Fifth Element drinking game last night.

The third act turns into a constant stream of drinking as you frantically try to keep up with all the stammering people in newer, dumber-looking costumes.

Thanks! I love that loving movie, and I'm really glad it's going to be back on Netflix at the first of the month. Jared and I are also of two minds on Ruby Rhod - I love him, Jared hates him. Then again, Jared has a much lower tolerance for annoyance and obnoxious characters, regardless of how intentional it may be.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Hewlett posted:

Thanks! I love that loving movie, and I'm really glad it's going to be back on Netflix at the first of the month. Jared and I are also of two minds on Ruby Rhod - I love him, Jared hates him. Then again, Jared has a much lower tolerance for annoyance and obnoxious characters, regardless of how intentional it may be.

Before we started the movie, I warned my friend Brad by saying "Now when Ruby Rhod shows up, you may want to check out and leave. Most people hate him."

When Chris Tucker suddenly appeared, Brad took a drink and said "Why would I want to leave now?! This is brilliant!"

What I love about that performance is how utterly fragile Ruby is. He's such a pompous rear end of a radio personality, but he just completely caves at the mere suggestion of danger. Just think, in 300 years that's what Ryan Seacrest's great great grandkids will be like.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Jay Dub posted:

Before we started the movie, I warned my friend Brad by saying "Now when Ruby Rhod shows up, you may want to check out and leave. Most people hate him."

When Chris Tucker suddenly appeared, Brad took a drink and said "Why would I want to leave now?! This is brilliant!"

What I love about that performance is how utterly fragile Ruby is. He's such a pompous rear end of a radio personality, but he just completely caves at the mere suggestion of danger. Just think, in 300 years that's what Ryan Seacrest's great great grandkids will be like.

I completely agree. I'm pretty sure the anti-Rhod sentiment (and my cohost's in particular) stems from fatigue or irritation at the prospect of an intentionally obnoxious comic relief character, because we all remember Jar Jar, and the fact that he doesn't seem to contribute much to the overall movie despite being the plot device to get to Floshton Paradise. Then again, this is the same guy who also hates Starship Troopers because he genuinely doesn't think the overt fascism and corniness is meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

I think your opinion of Ruby Rhod depends on just about how willing you are to ride the crazy train, but I feel like the film up to the point arms you for that escalation of silliness.

I feel bad ragging on him especially since he's not a goon so he can't defend himself, but he really is a wicked smart dude, especially about literature and film, and both of us agreeing on all of these films would make for a boring podcast anyway. What's more, 99-100% of everything that goes into our cocktails is his doing. (Maybe 80% if you count the names, since I manage to name quite a few of them.)

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Hewlett posted:

I completely agree. I'm pretty sure the anti-Rhod sentiment (and my cohost's in particular) stems from fatigue or irritation at the prospect of an intentionally obnoxious comic relief character, because we all remember Jar Jar, and the fact that he doesn't seem to contribute much to the overall movie despite being the plot device to get to Floshton Paradise. Then again, this is the same guy who also hates Starship Troopers because he genuinely doesn't think the overt fascism and corniness is meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

I think your opinion of Ruby Rhod depends on just about how willing you are to ride the crazy train, but I feel like the film up to the point arms you for that escalation of silliness.

Oh, absolutely. I love the character, but he's not wrong. Ruby Rhod is goddamn annoying, but I fully buy that character as a product of the crazy universe he lives in.

He seems to be the ultimate punchline that the whole second act of the film builds toward. Korben Dallas already wants no part of the military's scheme to send him on a covert mission to save the universe, but sending him there under the guise of winning a vacation contest is something he clearly cannot loving stand. So instead of wallowing in his life of unemployed bachelorhood, Dallas is whisked away to God-knows-where with some foreign girl he just met, and instead of saving the world or (god forbid) actually relaxing, he has to put up with this arrogant, chatty sexual predator with a microphone.

The whole purpose of Ruby Rhod is to see how far Bruce Willis can roll his eyes.

And on the topic of Starship Troopers, I actually agree with your interpretation. I've always seen the film as a product of the world it was created in. All the propaganda pieces play out like actual commercials or newsreels meant to be shown in movie theaters or on college campuses. That's why they all end with a cursor clicking part of the menu when it asks "Would you like to know more?" WE can't make those choices to keep watching, but clearly somebody is. It's all so hammy and on-the-nose that I have to believe it was intentional on Verhoeven's part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTz9nIUkGc

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

:20bux:There Will Be Blood:20bux:

Drink: Kick Yer rear end Sas

DrinksMixer.com posted:

6 oz sarsaparilla
2 shots Jagermeister® herbal liqueur

Rules:

-drink every time the year is displayed
-drink every time someone in the film takes a drink (of alcohol)
-drink every time you see a cross
-drink every time oil is shown / discovered
-waterfall when water is being used for purposes of baptism
-finish your drink every time someone dies / is murdered

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Hewlett posted:

We're recording for Rubber tonight - Jared watched the film last night for drink ideas, but I'm going in fresh. Wish me luck!

Perhaps something representing motor oil? Is it possible to make a post-modern beverage?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TrixRabbi posted:

Perhaps something representing motor oil? Is it possible to make a post-modern beverage?

You just drink straight rubbing alcohol while you laugh at the irony of it.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Inception
Take a drink when:
-Someone gets a "kick"
-You hear "Bwong!"
-Joseph-Gordon Levit does something awesome
-FINISH DRINK when you can piece out a logical ending and keep sipping until you do (fix a couple more: this could take a while)

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 27, 2012

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Nora Ephron passed away (RIP Nora), and in case you want to pour one out for her tonight you could use our When Harry Met Sally game and our drink, the "What She's Having."

quote:

1 part cucumber-infused vodka
1 part Midori or other melon liqueur
1 part pineapple juice
3 parts spumante (sparkling wine)
Mix well; pour in champagne glass.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

NEW EPISODE: Rubber (2010)

Here's the drinking game and podcast for 2010's French import indie horror film/whatever the hell it is. Some fairly good discussion in there about how we felt the movie was speaking to us - it seems to have some things to say about the relationship between a movie and its audience but we do come to very different conclusions. You may be warned of awkward singing for the first minute - Jared wrote The Ballad of Robert the Tire and we sang it for the intro (you can skip it if you want, but it wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be).

THIS EPISODE'S DRINK: Tire Fire

5 parts brandy
2 parts Grand Marnier orange liqueur
3 parts sweetened lime juice
agave nectar
1 part apple juice

Combine and shake; add bitters (optional).

RULES:

1) Drink whenever a chair is destroyed/toppled
2) Drink whenever the spectators raise/lower their binoculars
3) Drink whenever Robert the Tire vibrates

FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:
The man in the wheelchair (Wings Hauser) says “I’m not part of the movie, I’m just watching…”

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

tinstaach posted:

Since someone's bound to make one for The Room:

Drink every time:

- Johnny says "Oh hai" to anyone
- Denny exhibits signs of a severe mental disorder
- Lisa openly admits her disdain for Johnny to anyone

FYD Line: So, so many. "YOU'RE TEARING ME APART, LISA!", "I definitely have breast cancer", "If a lot of people loved each other, the world would be a better place", I could go on.

And of course, you're all drinking Scotchka.

We had The Room-themed Christmas party at the theater I work at a few years back, where we actually mixed Scotchka...

I blacked out and apparently was on the verge of alcohol poisoning...

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
So, uh, you guys dug Rubber? Well... okay then. Free country.

I've been enjoying the podcasts, but they seem incredibly biased at times. For instance, Joe vs the Volcano gets a pass on just about every fairy tale contrivance that Labyrinth was roasted over the coals for. I love both movies unabashedly, so it was interesting to hear the breakdowns. Personally, I think both films were the products of unreliable narrators at very different places in their lives.

Glad they brought up that hammerhead shark. Holy Christ.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

OK Octopus posted:

So, uh, you guys dug Rubber? Well... okay then. Free country.

I've been enjoying the podcasts, but they seem incredibly biased at times. For instance, Joe vs the Volcano gets a pass on just about every fairy tale contrivance that Labyrinth was roasted over the coals for. I love both movies unabashedly, so it was interesting to hear the breakdowns. Personally, I think both films were the products of unreliable narrators at very different places in their lives.

Glad they brought up that hammerhead shark. Holy Christ.

Thanks for listening!

Re: Rubber - I think our consensus was that we were glad that the film was taking a chance with genre and format, and that was something that could spark discussion. Jared liked it far more than I did, but I did appreciate what it was trying to do (even though I thought the director hated me and held me in contempt). I think it turned out better than it would have if it was just a campy horror movie a la Thankskilling.

I'd be very interested to hear your take on Rubber, however. Was it the pace that bogged it down? Did it strike you as too film-school-pretentious (because it pretty much was)?

Re: Joe vs. the Volcano/Labyrinth - We do our best to watch the movies in a vacuum, and for Jared and myself we hadn't seen Joe vs. the Volcano before the night we recorded the podcast. (I also wasn't actually the biggest fan of Joe either.) You do have a very good point about applying different standards to different movies, but at least for those two episodes there was at least six months of space between recording (Labyrinth was one of our first episodes). I will admit, sometimes factors like the energy of the night and our BAC may also play a factor in our reviews, but that can apply for anyone's appraisal of a movie. I'm really glad you're liking the breakdowns; is the format too freeform, or does the openness work?

And yeah, HOLY poo poo THAT SHARK. :stare:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Hewlett posted:

NEW EPISODE: Rubber (2010)

After listening to the episode I feel like I came away with virtually the same view of Rubber that you did, Clint—I just hated it while you and Jared didn't. The absurd humor didn't work for me, though, and that takes Rubber from "charming" directly to "intolerable." It blew my mind that Jared didn't immediately deduce that the (real) audience meant to identify with the surrogate audience, especially considering that the opening monologue scene shows that their viewpoint and ours is effectively the same—the speech is addressed to the fourth wall, but only because the camera is placed "among" the surrogate audience.

I'm glad you both had a good time watching Rubber, even though it is so far from my cup of tea that it is actually not a cup at all, nor is it full of tea, but it is rather some much less desirable receptacle and substance, respectively.

e: Let me be clear that I love the show and the format. Thanks, guys.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 1, 2012

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

After listening to the episode I feel like I came away with virtually the same view of Rubber that you did, Clint—I just hated it while you and Jared didn't. The absurd humor didn't work for me, though, and that takes Rubber from "charming" directly to "intolerable." It blew my mind that Jared didn't immediately deduce that the (real) audience meant to identify with the surrogate audience, especially considering that the opening monologue scene shows that their viewpoint and ours is effectively the same—the speech is addressed to the fourth wall, but only because the camera is placed "among" the surrogate audience.

I'm glad you both had a good time watching Rubber, even though it is so far from my cup of tea that it is actually not a cup at all, nor is it full of tea, but it is rather some much less desirable receptacle and substance, respectively.

e: Let me be clear that I love the show and the format. Thanks, guys.

No problem! Don't worry about it; this is part of why I started the thread, to get your guys' thoughts on the films we cover.

I will say that the opening monologue really turned me off; Lt. Chad just seemed to me to be every obnoxious film student, cornering me at a house party talking about "you know how in movies when..." Chad was even holding a plastic cup, so I could just imagine it as a Dixie cup of PBR. It was when he said the film was "an HOMAAAAGE" that I rolled my eyes a bit; okay, Quentin Dipieux, sure.

I will say, I was a bit more charitable than maybe I should have been, but I hadn't seen a film so directly tackle the audience/movie relationship, so for that I was glad it at least opened up those discussions, even if the director's ultimate answer was lovely (that audiences are stupid and obnoxious, and they should just pipe down and eat our poisoned turkey - it's their fault that the movie is still going anyway).

Coming Next Week: We're going to be doing Independence Day since, well, we have to. We just have to.

Thoughts about rules? What kinds of movies do you guys typically watch on July 4th if you're goony enough to watch a movie and drink instead of hanging outside grilling delicious red meats?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Finish your drink on "Welcome to Earth"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Finish your Drink whenever Jeff Goldblum uses a line from Jurassic Park.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Finish your Drink whenever Jeff Goldblum uses a line from Jurassic Park.

This is a good one; I also wish to point out that we are actually celebrating an early Connickuh for this episode, since we're trying to start a tradition where we cover a Harry Connick Jr. movie every Hanukkhah (last year we did Hope Floats). Harry Connickuh everybody! :haw:

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Hewlett posted:

Coming Next Week: We're going to be doing Independence Day since, well, we have to. We just have to.

Thoughts about rules? What kinds of movies do you guys typically watch on July 4th if you're goony enough to watch a movie and drink instead of hanging outside grilling delicious red meats?

Take a drink every time technology fails (this is like the running theme of the whole film):

-Whenever we see staticy TV broadcasts
-When Randy Quaid's missile jams
-Whenever a missile fails to reach its target thanks to a force field (Hell, finish your drink after the nuke. "Target remains...:gonk:")
-When the alien programmer sees the Jolly Roger

There are almost certainly other instances I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Haven't heard the cast yet, but I'll just say that the Tire Fire looks delicious.
I saw Rubber with a group of friends last time, and we had a fun time with it. I think it definitely helps this movie if you're able to comment on it throughout. It kind of takes the sting out of the most abrasive scenes if you're able to share a laugh about it. So it's perfect for your format, really!

Hey, do one for Död Snö or Iron Sky. We're doing a double header of them soon and I'll beat you to the punch (haw) if you don't.

Or hell, does anyone have any ideas for these? I'm thinking some kind of white/red layered drink for Död Snö, and maybe something moon-rock themed for Iron Sky.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Jay Dub posted:

There are almost certainly other instances I'm not thinking of at the moment.

What about taking a drink also whenever the logo of an Apple computer?

Or the theme of "Alcohol, the great sterilizer!"
Any scene of death or medical treatment.

-Everytime the aliens launch a superweapon attack? Take a drink.
-Shoot down a plane? Drink.
-Human/Alien dies? Drink.
-The alien autopsy? Drink.
-Pres's wife is hurt? Drink.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Here it is folks - the Independence Day episode! I think the intro turned out pretty well, and the rules are pretty good - we ended up cribbing the 'failing technology' rule, so thanks guys! Fellow goon OSheaman joins us in the discussion as well.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I'm just finishing listening to it, haha. Your rules are great and that quiz was totally rigged. I'm actually on my way to a party where I'm expected to bring an Independence Day drinking game, so thanks for saving me from having to come up with one :v:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

ape canyon posted:

I'm just finishing listening to it, haha. Your rules are great and that quiz was totally rigged. I'm actually on my way to a party where I'm expected to bring an Independence Day drinking game, so thanks for saving me from having to come up with one :v:

How did the July 4th game go, by the way? I hope not too many people died of alcohol poisoning - it seemed to work out well for ours.

A couple announcments: 1) We're going to branch out a teeny bit into nerd journalism by being official press at Wizard World Chicago, so we might be able to get interviews with folk - we're going to try for at least Bruce Campbell and Luke Perry, since we've covered films in their ouvre before (Evil Dead 2 and The Fifth Element, respectively) but we'll try to cover others. We're going legit, folks!

Also, we just finished recording for our latest episode, where we're covering the 1944 film noir Double Indemnity. It's always nice when we don't have to cover nerd movies exclusively, so the branching out is great. It was the first time I'd really seen it all the way through, and it was just a fantastic, tense film. We've also got a great drink(s) for you, so look out for that on Thursday.

Did anyone else try an Independence Day/any other drinking game for Fourth of July? What do you think of covering old-school films with drinking games in general?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Hey, I like your podcast. I'm the goon that suggested a Billy Wilder movie, so I'm looking forward to this one. Might actually try the drinking game this time.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Hey, I like your podcast. I'm the goon that suggested a Billy Wilder movie, so I'm looking forward to this one. Might actually try the drinking game this time.

Thanks! Here is the episode and the drink, by the way. Just posted it today - the full film is available on Youtube, so we linked to it from there (in case you don't already have it). Our discussion gets a bit more academic in terms of the film noir genre than usual, but it was really refreshing to do an older film than we are used to, or are normally suggested.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hey Hewlett, I think Independence Day was released in 1996 not 1994. I know this because I entered sixth grade that year and after summer vacation every single one of my classmates said ID4 was their FAVORITE MOVIE EVER when asked. Just doing my part!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

exquisite tea posted:

Hey Hewlett, I think Independence Day was released in 1996 not 1994. I know this because I entered sixth grade that year and after summer vacation every single one of my classmates said ID4 was their FAVORITE MOVIE EVER when asked. Just doing my part!

Yeah, I think you're right. The date actually popped up in my head last night too when I decided to watch Stargate, which WAS released in 94 and directed by Emmerich, and ID4 came after. I'll go ahead and change that out since I have a chance. Thanks for the reminder!

By the way: for Stargate, drink for unsettling colonialism and finish your drink when Kurt Russell bellows, "Give my regards to King Tut, rear end in a top hat!" :clint:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Bumping the thread to let people know that, next week, we'll be doing The Prestige at the behest of requests, and that it's a Nolan movie so we can get at least some of that sweet, sweet Dark Knight Rises traffic. I'm totally prepared to have a pretty academic discussion of the film as well, and we should have at least one guest.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I'm glad you guys liked Double Indemnity so much. I suggested Billy Wilder because I find his films have aged really well compared to their contemporaries, so he might work well for a week when you were up for an oldie. It was my grandfather's favorite film, but I never watched it until after he died, so I've got some extra affection for it.

I half expected you to go with "drink for extended metaphors" but I guess drinking for every line of the movie doesn't work. I don't like milk drinks but the cranberry + espresso + Guinness works nicely.

Omnomnomnivore fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I'm glad you guys liked Double Indemnity so much. I suggested Billy Wilder because I find his films have aged really well compared to their contemporaries, so he might work well for a week when you were up for an oldie. It was my grandfather's favorite film, but I never watched it until after he died, so I've got some extra affection for it.

I half expected you to go with "drink for extended metaphors" but I guess drinking for every line of the movie doesn't work. I don't like milk drinks but the cranberry + espresso + Guinness works nicely.

Thanks for the suggestion - often (not that it's a bad thing) we get "movie from the 80s I liked from my childhood" stuff, so it's nice to shake it up with older films. And we agree that the extended metaphors thing is fantastic, and I'm glad you like the drink. I have the drinking mentality of a 19-year-old sorority girl most of the time, frankly, so I liked the creamy milk drink a bit better :smug:

:siren: NEW EPISODE IS UP! :siren:

This week, since Batmania is off the charts, we decided to handle a Nolan film that a) was listener-requested and b) is a bit less discussed or considered than his work with caped crusaders - The Prestige. This week, Jared experimented with molecular mixology, given the work with trickery and misdirection present in both the narrative and the filmmaking itself, and our three rules are an attempt to match the three acts of a magic trick:

You can listen to the podcast and pick up the drink recipe/rules here!

Alcohollywood posted:

THIS EPISODE’S DRINK: The Transported Man

Green olives
splash, lemon and lime juice
6 parts Cointreau
4 parts egg white
3 parts orange juice
2 parts water
leaf basil
juniper berries
Vodka

1) Place one green olive apiece in sections of ice cube tray; add splash of lemon and lime juice, fill with vermouth. Keep in freezer until frozen.

2) Whip Cointreau, egg white, orange juice, water, basil and juniper until it forms a foam (you can also use a nitrous oxide canister and dispenser to create the foam).

3) In Collins glass or martini glass, fill with vodka, insert vermouth cube, top with foam. Add juniper berries for garnish.

(NON-MOLECULAR MIXOLOGY VERSION: Make your standard vodka martini; insert leaf basil and juniper berries.)

RULES:

1) THE PLEDGE – Drink whenever a character points out Borden’s or Angier’s character flaws
2) THE TURN – Drink whenever someone or something is imprisoned in anyway
3) THE PRESTIGE – Drink whenever you see silly facial hair

FINISH YOUR DRINK WHEN:

Alfred Borden (Christian Bale) finally says, “Abracadabra.”

• Locked thread