Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bachelor Numpad
Sep 16, 2001

All wreckin' and smashin' my junk on the crossbar
So after spending a few days cleaning my car (washing, claying, polishing, washing again, then waxing, all by hand), we had some lovely rain today that lasted for all of one minute, and now there are nice little water spots all over my car. Figures.

What's the easiest way to deal with this? And what wax should I use next time that causes water to sheet off the car, rather than just beading up? gently caress. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bachelor Numpad posted:

So after spending a few days cleaning my car (washing, claying, polishing, washing again, then waxing, all by hand), we had some lovely rain today that lasted for all of one minute, and now there are nice little water spots all over my car. Figures.

What's the easiest way to deal with this? And what wax should I use next time that causes water to sheet off the car, rather than just beading up? gently caress. :eng99:

It's supposed to bead up. If you want it to look good after a rain, you have to wash it.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

Bachelor Numpad posted:

Waterless wash, if it's not too dirty.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, if it's still clean except for the rain, that's exactly the situation quick detailer is made for. I like Meguiar's Ultimate one.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
You did a great job! Thanks to the wax the dirt is now on the wax instead of the paint, so when you wash the car you won't have to clay or polish or wax again.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So I just picked up a new car and want to start taking care of it properly (Sexy Metallic Candy Blue mmmmm). The OP is really great and all but I'm still a bit lost on what to do after washing the car then claying it. I need some sort of wax / sealant?
The OP mentions compounds after the clays, but I'm not exactly sure what compounds do?
I think getting a leaf blower for drying the car would be a good idea, how strong of one do I need? Would something like this work?

I'm kind of on a budget ($100~), would anyone mind helping me on picking some products out, this is a bit overwhelming and I want to keep my new car looking good :ohdear:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Etrips posted:

So I just picked up a new car and want to start taking care of it properly (Sexy Metallic Candy Blue mmmmm). The OP is really great and all but I'm still a bit lost on what to do after washing the car then claying it. I need some sort of wax / sealant?
Yes. The clayed paint is pretty much a virgin surface, so it needs something on it to protect it.

quote:

The OP mentions compounds after the clays, but I'm not exactly sure what compounds do?
Compounding means rubbing down the surface with a very mild abrasive, to get rid of oxidation/fading and those spiderweb-like microscratches you can see in bright sun or flourescent light.

quote:

I think getting a leaf blower for drying the car would be a good idea, how strong of one do I need? Would something like this work?
I wouldn't bother. A properly waxed car, if you "sluice" the water over it to rinse it, doesn't need much drying at all.

quote:

I'm kind of on a budget ($100~), would anyone mind helping me on picking some products out, this is a bit overwhelming and I want to keep my new car looking good :ohdear:
I would buy the following (I like Meguiar's stuff, hence the specifics, but meh):
Meguiar's gold glass twin pack with one bottle of shampoo and one bottle of carnuba wax.
Meguiar's clay bar starter kit. This includes some detailing spray as a lube, a decent microfibre towel, and a bottle of their cleaner wax.
Mequiar's ultimate quik detailer spray
TWO buckets for washing
A pack of half-decent microfibre towels
A microfibre "noodle" sponge

If you wash with the gold class shampoo using one bucket for the solution, and a second to rinse the sponge every time it comes off the car, then claybar it, then use the cleaner wax, then the gold class wax, then the quik detailer.

Repeat washings can be just the shampoo (always the two bucket method) and the quik detailer if you do it regularly, maybe some wax if it needs it. You shouldn't need to clay or use any kind of cleaner or compound on a regular basis if you keep on top of it.

Any extra cash? I would recommend a decent alloy wheel cleaner (I like Wonder Wheels, but I don't know if you can get it in the US), a glass cleaner (Windolene etc is fine, really, lots of people like Stoners invisible glass it seems), and maybe some tyre shine (I like Armor All aerosol foam, everyone else seems to hate it so YMMV).

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

InitialDave posted:

Yes. The clayed paint is pretty much a virgin surface, so it needs something on it to protect it.

Compounding means rubbing down the surface with a very mild abrasive, to get rid of oxidation/fading and those spiderweb-like microscratches you can see in bright sun or flourescent light.

I wouldn't bother. A properly waxed car, if you "sluice" the water over it to rinse it, doesn't need much drying at all.

I would buy the following (I like Meguiar's stuff, hence the specifics, but meh):
Meguiar's gold glass twin pack with one bottle of shampoo and one bottle of carnuba wax.
Meguiar's clay bar starter kit. This includes some detailing spray as a lube, a decent microfibre towel, and a bottle of their cleaner wax.
Mequiar's ultimate quik detailer spray
TWO buckets for washing
A pack of half-decent microfibre towels
A microfibre "noodle" sponge

If you wash with the gold class shampoo using one bucket for the solution, and a second to rinse the sponge every time it comes off the car, then claybar it, then use the cleaner wax, then the gold class wax, then the quik detailer.

Repeat washings can be just the shampoo (always the two bucket method) and the quik detailer if you do it regularly, maybe some wax if it needs it. You shouldn't need to clay or use any kind of cleaner or compound on a regular basis if you keep on top of it.

Any extra cash? I would recommend a decent alloy wheel cleaner (I like Wonder Wheels, but I don't know if you can get it in the US), a glass cleaner (Windolene etc is fine, really, lots of people like Stoners invisible glass it seems), and maybe some tyre shine (I like Armor All aerosol foam, everyone else seems to hate it so YMMV).

This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thank you goon sir!

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
My idiot co worker decided to wash our 2011 GMC Sierra with GOJO and a paper towel. So now there are horrible deep swirl marks all over the truck. I'm trying to convince my boss to just vinyl wrap it with some kind of ad for the business but he's pretty cheap. Is there anything short of a buffer that will get those out?

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Huggable Bear King posted:

My idiot co worker decided to wash our 2011 GMC Sierra with GOJO and a paper towel. So now there are horrible deep swirl marks all over the truck. I'm trying to convince my boss to just vinyl wrap it with some kind of ad for the business but he's pretty cheap. Is there anything short of a buffer that will get those out?

:psyduck: holy poo poo, that's like going over the whole truck with 120 grit sandpaper. I hope someone gave him unending hell for being that much of a dumbass. Unfortunately, it'll probably take a polisher and a shitload of luck to get the swirls out. I hope he didn't put too much muscle into it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Use the magic fix all combination:

PC7424XP
Lake Country Yellow Pad/Meguiars M105
Lake Country White Pad/Meguiars M205
20+ hours of work.

Also prayer, lots and lots of prayer, but that should fix the problem.

Remember! If you can't catch the swirl marks with your fingernail, there is a good chance that combination will fix the problem. :eng101:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'll ask again, I have some areas of crazed clear coat, will a harsher polishing compound make it look not so bad?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Define... crazed

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Define... crazed

Probably this: http://www.napaint.com/paint.finish.quality.htm#paint%20crazing

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Exactly that. I'll try & get a photo but I think I'll get a harsher compound & see, I can't ruin the car at this point :v:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I am washing my car for the first time in too long.

I was going to wax, but after washing I found that the loving bugs I drive through every night are not moving. I am having a hard time getting them off with my finger nail. Is there a trick to get them off my paint??

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I am washing my car for the first time in too long.

I was going to wax, but after washing I found that the loving bugs I drive through every night are not moving. I am having a hard time getting them off with my finger nail. Is there a trick to get them off my paint??

Tarx or clay are your best bet.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
I washed and waxed the Focus today.

products:

I prefer Turtle Wax products over Meguire's, especially the quick wax. After my Black Magic wax finishes I am going to switch to Turtle Wax Ice.

Immediately after:

Took it for a spin by the lake:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
That looks wonderful!

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I used to use Turtle Wax Ice on my Tacoma (black, with lots of black plastic). It always looked great, and it didn't get residue all over the plastic bits.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

War Bunny posted:

I used to use Turtle Wax Ice on my Tacoma (black, with lots of black plastic). It always looked great, and it didn't get residue all over the plastic bits.

There is nothing wrong with the quality of Black Magic wax...although it does leave residue over plastic like most waxes. It leaves a great shine and I believe is top rated (or was) by Consumer Reports (take that with a grain of salt). I have seen Turtle Wax Ice do a great job and want to give it a shot. Good to hear other people enjoy Ice as well.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What's the best way to deal with a car with lots of stuck on stripes (aside from removing said stripes)?

My father has a little Fiesta ST that could use a bunch of attention but I'm not quite sure how to deal with the edges of the stickered areas especially on the hood where the paint is worst and the stickers are most complex. The stickers don't sit very flush with the rest of the paint work so I'm afraid any buffing will lift the edges and make a mess.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

dissss posted:

What's the best way to deal with a car with lots of stuck on stripes (aside from removing said stripes)?

My father has a little Fiesta ST that could use a bunch of attention but I'm not quite sure how to deal with the edges of the stickered areas especially on the hood where the paint is worst and the stickers are most complex. The stickers don't sit very flush with the rest of the paint work so I'm afraid any buffing will lift the edges and make a mess.

Tape them off with painters tape.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's the best product to get really horrible odors out of seats? My girlfriend took the cat to the vet in my truck and he peed through his carrier onto the seat. She neglected to tell me about it for 3 days so the cab stinks. I've shampooed the seat 3 times but you can still smell it on a hot day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

What's the best product to get really horrible odors out of seats? My girlfriend took the cat to the vet in my truck and he peed through his carrier onto the seat. She neglected to tell me about it for 3 days so the cab stinks. I've shampooed the seat 3 times but you can still smell it on a hot day.
Nature's Miracle is good for cat piss on carpets so you could probably start there. Try a small portion on a spot you can't see first in case the seat isn't colour-fast.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
http://www.amazon.com/CarPro-So2Pure-Air-Purifying-Coating/dp/B004UMBIPU

Best stuff I have used, make sure you activate it with a light source. :)

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001
Oh man, I'm hooked. I connected with a friend of the family that runs a detail side-business. He spent about 45 minutes pushing out a door ding and removing a bunch of scratches I didn't think would come out. He got me going with some technique and I spent yesterday taking a clay bar to my 335xi and polishing the hell out of it.

You'll find me in a few months dead in a bathtub, fingerprints rubbed off, a microfiber clenched in my hands.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I finally convinced a coworker to clean up a car that's been sitting under trees and getting sappy for months. Is washing the first thing to do, or is there anything else to prep with?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I finally convinced a coworker to clean up a car that's been sitting under trees and getting sappy for months. Is washing the first thing to do, or is there anything else to prep with?

Get wet then foam the poo poo out of it. Don't scrub anything off.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What kinda foam?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

What kinda foam?

Dawn for a first time wash, it will strip any remenants of old wax (if any) on his car, after the first detail and wax use an actual car soap, but for now you want to load Dawn up into a foam gun and soak the poo poo out of his car.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Son of a bitch. I was washing my car and I dropped a bucket of microfiber towels right into the dirt, and now they won't come clean.

Are there any tricks to getting grit out of microfiber, or should I just trash them?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

a handful of dust posted:

Son of a bitch. I was washing my car and I dropped a bucket of microfiber towels right into the dirt, and now they won't come clean.

Are there any tricks to getting grit out of microfiber, or should I just trash them?

Trash them. You'll never get it all out.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

wallaka posted:

Trash them. You'll never get it all out.

You could also keep them to clean out your door jambs and stuff.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I got this Griot's Vinyl and Rubber dressing, and it really did good to take care of my oxidized rubber seals and stuff. I think the key though is a good sponge thing to make applying it easy. foamy spongy crap, like a cheap paint brush works great.

That's a $400 car. not bad.

My other Scirocco

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is the surface cracking going on on the outside bolster in my car:

What should I be doing?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
1) Meguiars D103 APC + soft bristle brush.

2) Meguiars Gold Class Leather Conditioner once a week.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is conditioner maintenance, or can it work to eventually bring things back to better shape? I have Mother's Leather Conditioner, and could use it all up on my ancient 944's seats if it'd help, and you think Meguiar's is much better.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I don't think Meguiars is better, it's just what I use. :shrug:

And no, it's maintenance, cracking is just that, it's cracked and it's not coming back. :smith:

If it was torn then this stuff is pretty good: http://www.autogeek.net/3m-leather-vinyl-kit.html

I've seen many threads on autogeek where people have used that and it worked out pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
So I bought this thing

I've been wanting to do some buffing to see what I can do. I Kijiji'd the guy down to $20 for it, used once(right) but everything was in the box neat and tidy, and got some replacement bits too. 1/2 horse 1800/3000 OPM. Did I do good? I honestly have no idea.