Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Bizob posted:

Also he wanted out of Cleveland because every time he put on that uniform he was reminded that Delonte West banged his mom.

Actually, he was reminded in Washington one day by a fan. It was hilarious, and he had to be held back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Also, its hilarious how Skip completely ignores all the specific basketball questions Mark Cuban asks him.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

haljordan posted:

Also, its hilarious how Skip completely ignores all the specific basketball questions Mark Cuban asks him.

He literally didn't understand Cuban's point about Skip Bayless's opinions not being the same thing as facts

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I like the little jab that the Thunder are dumb (because they were in that series)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Lebron had 13 assists in Game 5, doesn't seem very selfish to me :colbert:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

seiferguy posted:

Lebron had 13 assists in Game 5, doesn't seem very selfish to me :colbert:

Not aggressive enough.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Medical Sword posted:

He literally didn't understand Cuban's point about Skip Bayless's opinions not being the same thing as facts

"That's all I use on this program"

Skip is gifted in that he possesses the ability to fool himself into believing himself.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
The bit at he end was amazing with Cuban asking Skip what type of defense OKC were using agaisnt Lebron and Bayless just starts stammering a list of players they had on him while Cuban calmly repeats the question.

:smugdog: : "Why do you run a zone, Skip?"

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 23, 2012

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I think the thing that fascinates me the most is that Mark Cuban is the owner of a basketball team. He bought a basketball team because he made a lot of money doing stuff unrelated to basketball, and made a shrewd business investment so he could make a lot of money specifically related to basketball.

He doesn't actually need to know about basketball at all. Art Rooney would never come on to First Take and talk about the changes to the Steelers' zone blocking scheme (maybe Al Davis would have). But he's a really loving smart guy who has learned that knowing about basketball helps him be a better owner. He both knows enough that he had at least general breakdowns of the defensive schemes in a basketball game that didn't involve his team, and to be knowledgeable but vague enough explaining the Mavs' defensive schemes that he didn't particularly give anything away because he'd like them to win another championship some day.

That was awesome and everyone here knows sports programming needs more Mark Cuban style breakdown and analysis, and it won't happen.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Badfinger posted:

That was awesome and everyone here knows sports programming needs more Mark Cuban style breakdown and analysis, and it won't happen.

My favorite ESPN show for years was Edge NFL Matchup with Ron Jaworski because he broke down things I would never see in a million years but did it in a way that was not condescending at all.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Frot Lesnar posted:

My favorite ESPN show for years was Edge NFL Matchup with Ron Jaworski because he broke down things I would never see in a million years but did it in a way that was not condescending at all.

I love Ron Jaworski and hate that ESPN has peter principle'd him into all his hours and hours of diligent film study translating into 10 second sound clips of him going "WHAM BLOCK, NEATO".

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
NFL Matchup is probably the best show ESPN has ever had, so of course it has aired exclusively at like 2 in the morning for its entire run.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Jaworski's got some QB Ranking feature going on for ESPN right now, because if there's two things ESPN loves, they are 1) talking more about quarterbacks and 2) list features that drive pageviews through fan outrage. But I see more value in this particular feature than others of its type because Jaworski does at least do a bit of film breakdown in his ~3 minute summary of each starter, talking about reading the coverage, picking up the blitz, the window of the throw, and so forth. There's a clear methodology to it and it's actually relaying information about the position, even when he's talking about some schmuck like Kevin Kolb. It's worlds apart from some random rear end in a top hat saying 'QB X is better than QB Y because he throws for more yards and his team wins more'.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

MourningView posted:

NFL Matchup is probably the best show ESPN has ever had, so of course it has aired exclusively at like 2 in the morning for its entire run.

I only recently got a DVR so I am shocked it hasn't been cancelled yet.

From wikipedia As of the 2008-2009 NFL season, it airs every Sunday during the season on ESPN at 3:00am ET, then re-airs at 7:30am ET.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Badfinger posted:

I think the thing that fascinates me the most is that Mark Cuban is the owner of a basketball team. He bought a basketball team because he made a lot of money doing stuff unrelated to basketball, and made a shrewd business investment so he could make a lot of money specifically related to basketball.

He doesn't actually need to know about basketball at all. Art Rooney would never come on to First Take and talk about the changes to the Steelers' zone blocking scheme (maybe Al Davis would have). But he's a really loving smart guy who has learned that knowing about basketball helps him be a better owner. He both knows enough that he had at least general breakdowns of the defensive schemes in a basketball game that didn't involve his team, and to be knowledgeable but vague enough explaining the Mavs' defensive schemes that he didn't particularly give anything away because he'd like them to win another championship some day.

I remember living in Atlanta, back when Cuban had just bought the Mavs, and both they and the Hawks were REALLY bad. Cuban was on the radio talking about why he bought the Mavs, and when the interviewer ended with "and i'm sure that there are a bunch of tickets available for the game tonight", Cuban just up and announces that he's buying all the tickets left and if anyone wants a ticket, he'll be hanging out in front of the arena all day and to just ask him for one.

It blew the radio station people's minds that someone would/could do that, and Cuban's response? "I'm not giving away Hawks tickets, i'm giving away tickets to see the Mavs."

midwat
May 6, 2007

Badfinger posted:

I love Ron Jaworski and hate that ESPN has peter principle'd him into all his hours and hours of diligent film study translating into 10 second sound clips of him going "WHAM BLOCK, NEATO".

I'm hoping Jaws' removal from the MNF booth will mean more analysis from him, and less color-guy sound bites.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So how long before somebody writes a contrarian article decrying Sandusky getting the crap convicted out of him?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So how long before somebody writes a contrarian article decrying Sandusky getting the crap convicted out of him?

They already did a commercial to try to rehab his image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q4txN1ut20&t=234s

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Ugh, I feel like I need a shower after watching that.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Some front pages, courtesy of Newseum:

The Morning-Call, Allentown, PA

The Patriot-News, Harrisburg, PA

Altoona Mirror, Altoona, PA

The Times-Tribune, Scranton, PA

Centre Daily Times, State College, PA

The Citizens' Voice, Wilkes-Barre, PA

All pretty drat good, LOVE the presentation by The Morning-Call, The Citizens' Voice and Centre Daily Times.

LARGE THE HEAD fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 23, 2012

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Badfinger posted:

THIS.

I don't like the current direction ESPN has gone down. They shouldn't be embracing the Mark May's, Stephen A. Smith's and Colin Cowherd's of the world.

I'd love to see people who study film, and just immerse than themselves within the game, much like how the aforementioned Jaws does. That's more impressive to me as a fan. Not screaming about some opinion you probably don't believe in anyways, but actual knowledge of the game.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FuzzySkinner posted:

THIS.

I don't like the current direction ESPN has gone down.

Their first marketable star was Chris Berman, so they haven't dropped far.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

They deal with vague generalities because it immunizes them from being wrong. If you cite specific tactics and objective things like Cuban did in that video, you can be proven wrong (not to mention you actually have to pay attention, watch something other than the guy with the ball, etc.).

If I talk about: grittiness, guttiness, wanted it more, momentum, doesn't know how to finish, chokes in the end, clutchiness, and on and on, it's meaningless and just about impossible to argue with.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

They deal with vague generalities because it immunizes them from being wrong. If you cite specific tactics and objective things like Cuban did in that video, you can be proven wrong (not to mention you actually have to pay attention, watch something other than the guy with the ball, etc.).

If I talk about : grittiness, guttiness, wanted it more, momentum, doesn't know how to finish, chokes in the end, clutchiness, and on and on, it's meaningless and just about impossible to argue with.

And by being nearly impossible to argue with, that means the argument can go on forever without actually saying anything or doing any research. Being an ESPN talking head has to be a cake job.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

BasicFunk posted:

And by being nearly impossible to argue with, that means the argument can go on forever without actually saying anything or doing any research. Being an ESPN talking head has to be a cake job.

Yeah, all they have to do is watch a few minutes and develop a quick opinion (not necessarily in that order).

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
It's a tough thing because on a basic level it's hard to justify dictating to people what they should want, and obviously a lot of fans want talking heads, so they can get riled up and excited about sports reporting just like they do about the games. All you can really say in the end is that it's a shame, though not a surprise, that ESPN and whomever else doesn't make more of an effort to encourage intellectual discourse. Oh well. That's one of the cool things about the Internet, the democratization of discourse

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Say what you will about Drew Magary, but the line about Michael Jordan being the black Daniel Plainview was pretty terrific.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

Erin Andrews in particular seems to draw a lot of weirdly vitriolic coverage.

Daulerio was the guy who originally posted the stalker video, which did not exactly endear him to Erin Andrews. A couple takedown requests later, and some threats to sue...and Gawker is still absolutely petty about the whole thing.

All of Gawker's random feuds are people who haven't let themselves get pushed around by Daulerio + Denton.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 26, 2012

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

Actually, he was reminded in Washington one day by a fan. It was hilarious, and he had to be held back.

Please tell me there's more to this.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Brian Phillips' first Wimbledon piece for Grantland is really great: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8097092/a-visit-all-england-club-wimbledon-kickoff-2012-tournament

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

General Dog posted:

Say what you will about Drew Magary, but the line about Michael Jordan being the black Daniel Plainview was pretty terrific.

:lol: Link?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

http://deadspin.com/5920502/lebron-james-world-champion-cocksucker?tag=lebronjames

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
So the Bleacher Report purchase by Time Warner is well known at this point, but my friend that works in a tech area for Turner told me about this a while ago. Apparently they explored purchasing a few different sports blog sites (including buying Deadspin off of Gawker) with the intent of merging their existing content (nba.com, pgatour.com, etc.) with the site that they would end up purchasing. So yeah, B/R will likely be the platform for the official site of the NBA.

Apparently all of the web developers for existing Turner sports sites (SI.com is not part of the Turner sports platform) have been told to start looking for new gigs.

So I guess they are paying $200M for B/R's SEO algorithms and existing page views? I'm not smart enough to know whether or not they're worth that (although I'm guessing it's not). On the plus side, look for a lot of Elin Nordegren/Amy Mickelson montages on the official PGA site soon.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
The SEO shenanigans from Bleacher Report aren't really pushed by a tech backend, it's editorial. And Google has been cracking down on all their tricks. And a lot of the stuff that is worked into the page templates is pretty bad, they have multiple H1 tags on pages for example.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

leokitty posted:

The SEO shenanigans from Bleacher Report aren't really pushed by a tech backend, it's editorial. And Google has been cracking down on all their tricks. And a lot of the stuff that is worked into the page templates is pretty bad, they have multiple H1 tags on pages for example.

Multiple H1's are fine as long as they're not nested. Their SEO is like $5 ebook bad though, and if that's why they were acquired there's gonna be some disappointment.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

$200 million for the Bleacher Report. I would really love to know how companies come up with these prices.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/peyton-manning-aboard-broncos-receivers-actually-learn-routes-065559673--nfl.html

Hey Yahoo, you were beaten on this story 3 months ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nae70NoCn1M

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

haljordan posted:

$200 million for the Bleacher Report. I would really love to know how companies come up with these prices.

The rich have absolutely no sense in value after a certain amount. There's little difference between 200 and 500 million to a billion dollar corporation.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Tae posted:

The rich have absolutely no sense in value after a certain amount. There's little difference between 200 and 500 million to a billion dollar corporation.

Having taken mergers and acquisition classes you can justify any price your boss tells you to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Erin Andrews is leaving ESPN for FOX, which means after years of the Andrews vs. Beadle stuff they ended up both leaving.