Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There seem to be some cool changes for map makers besides just adventure mode in the pipeline. Vechs has been talking about some upcoming new spawner features. I guess now you can control the health of mobs spawned in by a spawner, what potions effects they spawn with, how many of them spawn in, and how frequently they spawn. Per-spawner. That's pretty scary.

edit: I think I misunderstood some things at first, edited post to clarify.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Some of that sounds like the stuff from this video by Etho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxB-MdsjaSY

Maybe that's what he's referring to?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mr. Peepers posted:

Some of that sounds like the stuff from this video by Etho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxB-MdsjaSY

Maybe that's what he's referring to?

No, he specifically said he wont need hyper spawners anymore. This is all stuff one of the bukkit guys is coding I guess. And also stuff like health control and precise timers aren't something that can really be done right now. He makes the example that he can have a really powerful boss mob spawn once every hour.

edit: He's been posting in the last few pages of this thread: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/191908-ctmcollection-vechs-super-hostile-series/page__st__24960

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 24, 2012

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

fondue posted:

They only occur in ocean biomes so you'll have to wander the seas to find one.

Not always; I've found one almost directly abutting jungle before.

Seed is huglaghalghalghal ; mushrooms are about a day's travel north-north-east from the spawn.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Sam Hall posted:

Seed is huglaghalghalghal ; mushrooms are about a day's travel north-north-east from the spawn.

I wonder how that'd translate into large biome snapshot generation.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Sam Hall posted:

With the way biomes work, it could still lie entirely within an ocean biome. I'm tempted to fire up Minecraft with Rei's Minimap and check the biome view but :effort:

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
I believe it follows biome logic similarly to the Super Mario Bros.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

feigning interest posted:

I believe it follows biome logic similarly to the Super Mario Bros.

Man, having a "Smiling cloud" option in Minecraft would be neat. And warp pipes.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
My favorite seed so far is "i dont care"

You spawn directly on the intersection of a mooshroom island and a jungle island.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
That is a gorgeous piece of land I would love to ruin with gaudy buildings and torch vomit.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Howmuch posted:

You spawn directly on the intersection of a mooshroom island and a jungle island.

The fungus biome should really spread to other biomes, if connected. That would be quite strange. Hell, that'll teach people to hunt down those mooshrooms.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
So I'm using the John Smith pack, but there doesn't appear to be a 1.3 compatible skin, so I am getting no image for emeralds or emerald ore. Is there a fix, or a comparable skin for the screenshots?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Sam Hall posted:

Howmuch posted:

Well, I've been happily proven horribly wrong. :)

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Stormageddon posted:

That is a gorgeous piece of land I would love to ruin with gaudy buildings and torch vomit.

At least you know torch vomit isn't necessary on a mushroom island, but rather a peculiar aesthetic choice. Nothing but mooshrooms spawns on them, if I remember correctly.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

D34THROW posted:

At least you know torch vomit isn't necessary on a mushroom island, but rather a peculiar aesthetic choice. Nothing but mooshrooms spawns on them, if I remember correctly.

Yep, Mooshrooms are the only mob that can spawn in mushroom biomes, including below the surface and in player-built structures.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Foehammer posted:

Yep, Mooshrooms are the only mob that can spawn in mushroom biomes, including below the surface and in player-built structures.

So, wait, if you explore a big cavern complex underneath a mushroom biome, you'll just encounter nothing? No enemies, no danger, risk-free mining all day?

poo poo. I like fighting monsters and enjoy the paranoid dungeon crawl style of exploration and mining, but that's got me kind of tempted to start up a new world with one of the above seeds and build a little stress-free mining operation.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Angry Diplomat posted:

So, wait, if you explore a big cavern complex underneath a mushroom biome, you'll just encounter nothing? No enemies, no danger, risk-free mining all day?

poo poo. I like fighting monsters and enjoy the paranoid dungeon crawl style of exploration and mining, but that's got me kind of tempted to start up a new world with one of the above seeds and build a little stress-free mining operation.

From the wiki:

quote:

No mobs (including hostile mobs) other than Mooshrooms spawn naturally in this biome. This also applies to caves, abandoned mine shafts, etc. below mushroom biomes, meaning exploring underground is relatively safe. However, Monster Spawners will still be able to spawn mobs, Golems can still be created by players and Spawn Eggs can still be used to spawn mobs.

So, yeah, that should work :)

It wouldn't stop mobs spawning in networked caves in adjacent biomes from wandering in, though.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
The only problem with using them for mining is you have to store your lumber and other supplies in another area, because trees don't grow. Also mushroom biomes are boring :(

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Can't you grow trees on normal dirt that's been shielded from the mycelium with a cobblestone border?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Foehammer posted:

Can't you grow trees on normal dirt that's been shielded from the mycelium with a cobblestone border?

Yes, or just slap a sapling on the mycelium and hit it with bonemeal (though there's the problem of where to get bones, since no mobs spawn ...)

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

beef express posted:

The only problem with using them for mining is you have to store your lumber and other supplies in another area, because trees don't grow. Also mushroom biomes are boring :(

If you're close to another biome, you can always set up a tree farm just outside the walls you inevitably make to keep poo poo out.

And mobs underground shouldn't be too much of a problem since mobs stop moving, what, 24 or 48 blocks away from the player or something? So you won't activate the underground mobs until you're near the perimeter of the biome anyway.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
For trees/wheat/etc in a mushroom biome, it's really not that hard to bring some saplings and seeds with you to the biome, and mycelium turns into dirt when normally dug up. Place it back into the ground and block it from connecting to mycelium, and it won't turn back. Boom, trees and poo poo in mushroom biome.

You also need to remember that mushroom biomes are typically small and surrounded by water, so if you're caving under them, you'll probably find yourself wandering outside of their borders pretty fast and encountering mobs, in case you were really worried about things getting boring. Besides, dungeons and mineshafts spawn in mushroom biomes just fine.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Has anyone ever had the issue of trying to connect to a server and just being booted back to the title screen? It happens about 75% of the time on my new server and I don't know what's causing it. :\

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Oggumogoggum posted:

Has anyone ever had the issue of trying to connect to a server and just being booted back to the title screen? It happens about 75% of the time on my new server and I don't know what's causing it. :\

Is it a server on the computer you are running Minecraft from? I'm having that same issue.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Slickdrac posted:

Is it a server on the computer you are running Minecraft from? I'm having that same issue.

Are you using the computer's IP on your LAN or the localhost 127.0.0.1? If you're using the former, try the latter, it might work better for you.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I always get dis-interested in big builds only hours after I start them, so being over halfway done with something big (well, compared to what I usually do (small hallow rectangles) is weird.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Boat posted:

Are you using the computer's IP on your LAN or the localhost 127.0.0.1? If you're using the former, try the latter, it might work better for you.

I use the latter, I've even tried both localhost and 127, just because maybe :notch: is that bad.

I think I may have tried the former once, but it didn't work period.

I've been using localhost, this is what I have to do. Once I get in, I can play for hours with no issue. My wife hasn't had this problem at all from her computer.
code:
[INFO] /127.0.0.1:57560 lost connection
[INFO] /127.0.0.1:57564 lost connection
[INFO] /127.0.0.1:57568 lost connection
[INFO] /127.0.0.1:57572 lost connection
[INFO] /127.0.0.1:57576 lost connection
[INFO] /127.0.0.1:57580 lost connection
[INFO] /127.0.0.1:57584 lost connection
[INFO] /127.0.0.1:57588 lost connection
[INFO] /127.0.0.1:57592 lost connection
[INFO] /127.0.0.1:57596 lost connection
[INFO] /127.0.0.1:57600 lost connection
[INFO] Mike_Takumi [/127.0.0.1:57604] logged in

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 26, 2012

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Slickdrac posted:

I've been using localhost, this is what I have to do. Once I get in, I can play for hours with no issue. My wife hasn't had this problem at all from her computer.
If you're running a server at home or other private location, set "online-mode=false" in server.properties in your server folder. A string of disconnects like that are sometimes from failed login verification.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Klyith posted:

If you're running a server at home or other private location, set "online-mode=false" in server.properties in your server folder. A string of disconnects like that are sometimes from failed login verification.

Done that too, hasn't made a difference. :iiam:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I always get dis-interested in big builds only hours after I start them, so being over halfway done with something big (well, compared to what I usually do (small hallow rectangles) is weird.

I haven't actually played much with the different types of wood, but that's a great way of making different floors, without having to mess with wool!

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
Well, reentering the Nether for the first time in months last night I relearned the valuable lesson: Don't bring good things with you into the Nether. Almost immediately blasted off a ledge into Lava. Good bye Eff III/Unb III Diamond Pickaxe :(

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Whatever happened to the couple of goons posting about their Minecraft "clones" projects a while back? Was a separate thread ever made of it?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Well I got bored when I was out of work with a back injury and made an automatic chicken egg gatherer.

My chickens are in a pit to keep them from escaping. Hit a single button and the pit floods for 30 seconds pushing all the eggs to the center. At 29 seconds the center block retracts using pistons then activates a complicated set of pistons that push the gathered eggs 12 or so squares south and 7 squares up, all the way to the surface outside the pit where they are deposited and can easily be picked up, 3 steps from the button.

All for the low low price of something like 600+ redstone for all the pistons, wire and electronics. It sets off so much stuff my client actually lags a little purely from all the simultaneous circuitry going off. Timing it all was a bitch.

I'll post pics when I get home. Boredom is a hell of a drug. There has to be a better way to time long gaps than a poo poo ton of repeaters in vanilla.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Oggumogoggum posted:

Figured this out. For anyone having the same problem: My server was the second in my server list, which meant when I double-clicked it my mouse would be directly over the 'cancel' button that appears when connecting. Somehow this button was also getting pressed, which booted me back to the title.

Solution: Move the server somewhere else in the list, or use the 'Join server' button instead of double-clicking.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oggumogoggum posted:

Figured this out. For anyone having the same problem: My server was the second in my server list, which meant when I double-clicked it my mouse would be directly over the 'cancel' button that appears when connecting. Somehow this button was also getting pressed, which booted me back to the title.

Solution: Move the server somewhere else in the list, or use the 'Join server' button instead of double-clicking.

Minecraft tends to queue mouse clicks when loading and it's really annoying.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Markovnikov posted:

Whatever happened to the couple of goons posting about their Minecraft "clones" projects a while back? Was a separate thread ever made of it?

I was wondering about this a while back, too. Where are you MC clone guys? :smith:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Any chance that we're getting 1.3 this week? I'm really, really anxious to start getting further out into my world already. :(

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

I was wondering about this a while back, too. Where are you MC clone guys? :smith:

Kleaveland (the one with the funky terrain and building system) and the other one haven't been updated in a while. I check their blogs sometimes, but they might just have abandoned them. It's a crying shame, if they did that.

Iacen fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 27, 2012

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Jamesman posted:

Any chance that we're getting 1.3 this week? I'm really, really anxious to start getting further out into my world already. :(
They release a bug fix build every Thursday but they've not indicated that tomorrow's release will be the last prior to 1.3 so I would say at least another week at the earliest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
Hello villager who turns 16 coal into an Emerald. What's that? You want to turn my eleventy billion coal into trade goods? SURE!