Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Seems to me that you can probably get the same result with a CCD and a mesh filter with significantly less effort and mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

dema posted:

I just got some Sermon from Verve and it's fuckin awesome. It's like someone stuck Blueberries in my espresso. I can even taste it in a cappuccino.

That Sermon is specifically labeled "Espresso". Is there any difference between this and a bean that I'd want to use for pourover/CCD, or is that just a recommendation "this is really good for espresso"?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Gravity Pike posted:

That Sermon is specifically labeled "Espresso". Is there any difference between this and a bean that I'd want to use for pourover/CCD, or is that just a recommendation "this is really good for espresso"?

Most coffee roasters have blends that specifically work well for the richness and body of espresso, especially if the coffees lend themselves to making crema. That certainly doesn't mean you couldn't use it for another brewing method though and by the flipside of the coin you could use any coffee you want to make espresso, it just might come out a little thin and lack crema.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Hey, Seattle folks. Does Trabant automatically put milk in the coffee? First time I went and ordered a coffee, the barista asked if I wanted room for milk/cream (can't remember which), and I said no. I got coffee that looked and tasted suspiciously like it contained dairy. I went again today forgetting about that whole incident, and I could have sworn I saw the guy pour milk in the coffee. When I went to grab my cup he asked if I wanted cream. I said no, and went to drink what looked like it had dairy in it.

Since I normally don't have coffee made on a Clover, does it tend to look light brown and cloudy without dairy?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

that Vai sound posted:

Hey, Seattle folks. Does Trabant automatically put milk in the coffee? First time I went and ordered a coffee, the barista asked if I wanted room for milk/cream (can't remember which), and I said no. I got coffee that looked and tasted suspiciously like it contained dairy. I went again today forgetting about that whole incident, and I could have sworn I saw the guy pour milk in the coffee. When I went to grab my cup he asked if I wanted cream. I said no, and went to drink what looked like it had dairy in it.

Since I normally don't have coffee made on a Clover, does it tend to look light brown and cloudy without dairy?

Why aren't you just asking them if they put milk in it when you get it?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you just order plain drip coffee and they put milk or cream in it then you should be justifiably pissed. Also, no place would ever do this.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

that Vai sound posted:

I've never had coffee made on a Clover, but I've had coffee made in a Chemex at Chinatown Coffee in DC that was light brown and cloudy. It was also some of the best coffee I've had in my life.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

that Vai sound posted:

Hey, Seattle folks. Does Trabant automatically put milk in the coffee?
I go to the one on 2nd a lot and have never had milk added. I think it's just so creamy and tasty it seems like they do. It's good stuff.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

So I have this grinder: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DBM...matic+Burr+Mill

It worked fine for a few months, but now after grinding the coffee smells burned and tastes like poo poo. Is there something I should do to clean it or should I just buy a nicer grinder. I just use a french press, so some of the inexpensive options in the OP should work for me.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

eggsovereasy posted:

It worked fine for a few months, but now after grinding the coffee smells burned and tastes like poo poo. Is there something I should do to clean it or should I just buy a nicer grinder. I just use a french press, so some of the inexpensive options in the OP should work for me.

I'm a big fan of Grindz personally. I don't run them every month and I typically buy the larger size package but they work very well.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
While cleaning it will certainly help, that is a terrible grinder (I had it when I was first getting into coffee), and any of the options mentioned in the OP will be a huge upgrade.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Shapiro posted:

Well, I'm with this guy, just now:

code:
You have ordered the following:

Qty  Description                             Unit                Amount
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1     (385R) Maestro Plus Refurb             $95.00              $95.00
      * Weight: 7.00 lbs. each
:)

Pretty excited!

Sup :respek:

It came in today. Can't wait to make some coffee tomorrow morning :woop:

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
A bit of a plug here, as I work for the company, but there's only three days left to preorder the Able Kone and/or Brewing System (for a reduced price!) on Kickstarter. I've had coffee from the new Kone and have nothing but good things to say -- though I've always been a fan of the Kone and own the first and second iterations. Definitely worth checking out if you're into pourover!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/333965871/kone-coffee-filter-brewing-system?ref=home_location

https://www.ablebrewing.com

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

That video is Portland as hell.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Sorry, $45 is like a lifetime supply of the good filters.
I feel good about saying that because you have $100,000 anyhow. drat.
I don't get the metal filter thing.

edit: $60 retail? Jesus. Coffee-snob is going to be the new audiophile isn't it. Espresso snob is basically there already, but the equipment is actually pretty complex, I guess. But a $60 filter feels like a $500 audio cable.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 27, 2012

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

grahm posted:

A bit of a plug here, as I work for the company, but there's only three days left to preorder the Able Kone and/or Brewing System (for a reduced price!) on Kickstarter. I've had coffee from the new Kone and have nothing but good things to say -- though I've always been a fan of the Kone and own the first and second iterations. Definitely worth checking out if you're into pourover!

If one already owns a Chemex, would you recommend the Brewing System as well? I'm interested in the filter but am hesitant about this alternative.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

nm posted:

Sorry, $45 is like a lifetime supply of the good filters.
I feel good about saying that because you have $100,000 anyhow. drat.
I don't get the metal filter thing.

Yeah man, I totally get that. For me, I really prefer the cup that the Kone produces (more oils + body in my experience). Others will prefer a paper filter and that's totally cool!

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Furious Lobster posted:

If one already owns a Chemex, would you recommend the Brewing System as well? I'm interested in the filter but am hesitant about this alternative.

The Brewing System + Kone will taste the same as the Chemex + Kone. The main advantages to the Brewing System in my mind are heat retention, ease of cleaning, and aesthetics (though the Chemex is a beautiful design as well).

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Finally had my first cup of coffee through my clever coffee dripper.

So this is what coffee is supposed to taste like? Holy gently caress what have I been missing thinking that Dunkin Donuts and K-cups were what coffee tastes like.

This is a completely different experience, and mind you, this was done with two gently caress ups:

1) When doing the first stir, I jammed my stir stick a bit too far down and tore the paper filter apparently, as I realized that during the pour.

2) I'm using the lovely Cuisinart burr grinder mentioned earlier.

Quick question...it says if the water doesn't drain, then use a coarser grind. I guess you would just notice that as you start pouring the water? Because the water was way higer than the amount of coffee was in there after I was done, and it seemed like it drained all the way through...I guess one more thing to look for tomorrow. My grinder has a whole bunch of settings, but I have it about 3-4 clicks away from it's finest setting right now. I would say it's a bit finer than pre-ground stuff looks out of a bag. I'm really not sure why I would ever use anything coarser.

Once again, loving amazing coffee. Can't wait until it gets even better tomorrow. I added a packet of Truvia as I'm so used to doing that with other coffee, and I didn't have any milk to throw in there like I normally do, but I could easily see drinking this stuff black, which I never usually do.

Officer No Gun
Aug 26, 2003

70sMan

nwin posted:

Quick question...it says if the water doesn't drain, then use a coarser grind. I guess you would just notice that as you start pouring the water? Because the water was way higer than the amount of coffee was in there after I was done, and it seemed like it drained all the way through...I guess one more thing to look for tomorrow. My grinder has a whole bunch of settings, but I have it about 3-4 clicks away from it's finest setting right now. I would say it's a bit finer than pre-ground stuff looks out of a bag. I'm really not sure why I would ever use anything coarser.

When I used too finely grounded coffee, the water wouldn't actually finish draining, at least not in the time I gave it (a few minutes), so I'm assuming that's what they're talking about.

The fun things with the Clever, or other single cup methods, Is that you can play around with the coarseness and amount of coffee until you get it where you like it.

Sweet Maria's has some good tips to use as a starting point:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/clevercoffeedripperpictorial.php

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Gravity Pike posted:

It seems to me that you could get the same effect by starting out in the press pot and spooning out the float before putting the top on. Or am I missing something?

I think the idea was to decant it with a slow pour, leaving the residue in the bottom.

Fake edit: eureka http://www.jimseven.com/2008/11/13/french-press-technique/

dema
Aug 13, 2006

If you're using a lovely grinder, the coffee grounds that come out range in size from dust to small chunks. You end up over extracting from the dust and under extracting from the small chunks. Can't dial in the correct grind consistency.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

grahm posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/333965871/kone-coffee-filter-brewing-system?ref=home_location
Well, I jumped on this. I've wanted a Kone for a while and basically, $15 off for a brand new model? Hellyeah

BinaryChef
Sep 19, 2006
I would just like to through this brand of coffee out there. Unless you live in Hawaii you will need to order it online or via phone. http://www.kaucoffeemill.com/hawaii/home.html

Some of the best coffee I've ever had. I brought a bag of the medium natural roast. Good stuff!

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

I'm looking at a grinder to get started with espresso. I know the grinder is pretty important, but I'm on somewhat of a budget.

I hear Baratza is really good.

Can anyone tell give me an idea of which might be better for espresso (milk based drinks mostly, rather than straight espresso) between the "Original Virtuoso" refurb ($150) or the Encore ($129 new).

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

metavisual posted:

I'm looking at a grinder to get started with espresso. I know the grinder is pretty important, but I'm on somewhat of a budget.

I hear Baratza is really good.

Can anyone tell give me an idea of which might be better for espresso (milk based drinks mostly, rather than straight espresso) between the "Original Virtuoso" refurb ($150) or the Encore ($129 new).

The Encore is a replacement for the previous entry level grinder the Maestro. Supposedly it is better suited for espresso than it's predecessor.

The Virtuoso is obviously the next step up, but the "Original" part is what you need to be wary of. They revamped the gearbox in 2012, and it's much more robust now than it was previously. The "Original" leads me to believe that the refurb Virtuoso is the original design, not the latest one.

Personally if $150 was my price range and I had my choice between the two, I'd probably opt for the new Encore with the latest drivetrain and the same burrs as the Virtuoso.

My grinder journey went: Crappy blade grinder -> Crappy Cuisinart burr grinder -> Rancilio Rocky Doserless -> Baratza Vario. I'm pretty happy with the Vario. While it may not be as bombproof as a Mazzer, Compak or more expensive grinder, it's pretty awesome. Very consistent grinding, low retention and easy to clean.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Thanks for the info.

I guess the new Virtuoso's have the Preciso burrs.

I looked at the info after reading what you said, and it shows this:

"This Virtuoso Refurb has the original Virtuoso Burrs and has been updated to the newest G2 Gear Box."

So I guess it doesn't have the Preciso burrs, but has the updated gear box?

(e: after doing some more reviewing I think I'm going to go with the encore unless I find some other smoking gun in the Virtuoso's favor. Thanks for the help!)

metavisual fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 28, 2012

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

metavisual posted:

Thanks for the info.

I guess the new Virtuoso's have the Preciso burrs.

I looked at the info after reading what you said, and it shows this:

"This Virtuoso Refurb has the original Virtuoso Burrs and has been updated to the newest G2 Gear Box."

So I guess it doesn't have the Preciso burrs, but has the updated gear box?

(e: after doing some more reviewing I think I'm going to go with the encore unless I find some other smoking gun in the Virtuoso's favor. Thanks for the help!)

Yeah, if it's got the same burrs and the same gearbox, I don't know why you wouldn't just get the Encore. Either way you'll be happy though, they are a great value for the money.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

metavisual posted:

I'm looking at a grinder to get started with espresso.

Are you talking "espresso" as in a steam toy or pressurized portafilter machine, or a real machine? I would not buy anything less than a Preciso for real espresso.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I love the taste of coffee, but I prefer to drink it cold 80% of the time. I saw the toddy/filtron cold brewing things on the first few pages, and they seemed right for the way i like to drink coffee.

but after doing some research online, I see people complaining that the cold brew process removes most/all the little varietal flavor nuances. I would love to hear some input on the matter cause I would hate to roast up my own coffee for cold brew and have it turn out like a Mcds iced coffee.

Will cold brewing eliminate all the awesome flavors that make good coffee special?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

eggrolled posted:

I love the taste of coffee, but I prefer to drink it cold 80% of the time. I saw the toddy/filtron cold brewing things on the first few pages, and they seemed right for the way i like to drink coffee.

but after doing some research online, I see people complaining that the cold brew process removes most/all the little varietal flavor nuances. I would love to hear some input on the matter cause I would hate to roast up my own coffee for cold brew and have it turn out like a Mcds iced coffee.

Will cold brewing eliminate all the awesome flavors that make good coffee special?

Well, they're half right. Iced coffee does lose flavor nuances, but it's not because of how it's brewed so much as the temperature of the coffee when consumed. The colder items are, the less flavors are noticeable. Have you ever had ice cream after it's melted? It's almost cloying because all of the flavor of the sugar and fat really stand out. Similar things happen with coffee and flavors dull a bit when it's served cold. Cold brewed coffee does have the interesting trait of being really low in bitterness (which can be a flavor nuance to some regions) though so it makes it really mellow which goes well with it being served cold.

Really though, you don't need any fancy brewing apparatus to cold brew, you just need coarse ground coffee, a container and a way to filter it. This could be as simple as a pitcher and a funnel with a paper coffee filter.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

rockcity posted:

Well, they're half right. Iced coffee does lose flavor nuances, but it's not because of how it's brewed so much as the temperature of the coffee when consumed. The colder items are, the less flavors are noticeable. Have you ever had ice cream after it's melted? It's almost cloying because all of the flavor of the sugar and fat really stand out. Similar things happen with coffee and flavors dull a bit when it's served cold. Cold brewed coffee does have the interesting trait of being really low in bitterness (which can be a flavor nuance to some regions) though so it makes it really mellow which goes well with it being served cold.

Really though, you don't need any fancy brewing apparatus to cold brew, you just need coarse ground coffee, a container and a way to filter it. This could be as simple as a pitcher and a funnel with a paper coffee filter.

This was my thought too. Flavor perception is altered at different temps for everything except sour (if I'm remembering correctly) so I was hoping that these people were slightly misguided in what they claimed. I was hoping least if I add my concentrate to hot water that the flavors would come out again.

Honestly to get started, I was going to buy some tea/hop bags, put some good coffee in that poo poo and use a bigass jar or pitcher. Those filtron things look fancy, but I'd rather put that money towards a solid grinder.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

eggrolled posted:

but I'd rather put that money towards a solid grinder.

This is the smartest idea for anyone who wants to get into coffee. It's just not always the easiest thing to convince someone to do.

min
May 12, 2001

I'm trying to put together a decent espresso setup. I'm looking to spend about $1500 but there's definitely a little wiggle room. Does anyone have personal experience with the OE Pharos? I don't mind hand grinding at all, I already own an OE Lido for pourover/press and am very happy with it. Being able to save a few hundred dollars on the grinder would be nice.

As for a machine, I would mostly be pulling shots for myself. I'm not too concerned with milk drinks, they would only be made occasionally for friends/family. I was looking at the Quick Mill Alexia with a PID installed. Does this seem like a good/reasonable setup for my price range? I'm open to suggestions, as I'm really quite clueless when it comes to espresso gear.

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004
To add to all of the grinder discussion, I'm trying to pull the trigger on a Baratza refurb and they have the Virtuoso with both the Preciso gearbox and burrs for $175 vs a Preciso refurb for $240. It seems as though the only main advantage I see to getting the Preciso is the micro-adjustment option it has since the Virtuoso has the same gear/burrs. I don't currently do espresso, but I would like to down the line so would it be best to just invest in the Preciso right off the bat or just save a little and get the Virtuoso?

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Cyborganizer posted:

To add to all of the grinder discussion, I'm trying to pull the trigger on a Baratza refurb and they have the Virtuoso with both the Preciso gearbox and burrs for $175 vs a Preciso refurb for $240. It seems as though the only main advantage I see to getting the Preciso is the micro-adjustment option it has since the Virtuoso has the same gear/burrs. I don't currently do espresso, but I would like to down the line so would it be best to just invest in the Preciso right off the bat or just save a little and get the Virtuoso?

I basically had the same question of whether or not to spend big money up front on a grinder. I think what made the decision easier for me was that I plan on getting an espresso machine in the next 3-6 months so I was able to commit to getting a vario. Plus you can't read about grinding coffee without having someone mention that the grinder is a very important component.

I wish there was some rich person that could buy all of the models and grind the same beans and do an analysis to quantify the consistency of grind which I think would make the question very easy to answer.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Hollis Brown posted:

I wish there was some rich person that could buy all of the models and grind the same beans and do an analysis to quantify the consistency of grind which I think would make the question very easy to answer.
At the bottom of this page is a PDF with comparisons of four Baratza grinders at different settings.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

eggsovereasy posted:

So I ended up getting the Capresso Infinity and my coffee is delicious again :toot:

scythide
Aug 8, 2003

Normal?

min posted:

Does anyone have personal experience with the OE Pharos?

My OE Pharos has replaced the Vario as my daily grinder (keeping in mind I typically only make two double espresso's worth in the morning each day). I upgraded it with some of voodoodaddy's mods (found on Home-Barista).

It's a very fast hand grinder--around 2 full revolutions of the handle per 1g of coffee when grinding for espresso. 15g takes me maybe 20 seconds to grind. It takes a bit of work to get the grounds from the chamber, which is the biggest complaint people have about it. My espresso workflow is pretty slow and deliberate with the Cremina so I don't mind too much. Voodoodaddy has a new mod where he replaces the grounds chamber completely with a removable basin which I am considering upgrading to.

My wife refuses to use it.

Other pros compared to the Vario: grind settings are repeatable as long as you get a good adjustment system down. Grinds come out super fluffy and don't really require WDT before tamping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

Finally had my first cup of coffee through my clever coffee dripper.

So this is what coffee is supposed to taste like? Holy gently caress what have I been missing thinking that Dunkin Donuts and K-cups were what coffee tastes like.

This is a completely different experience, and mind you, this was done with two gently caress ups:

1) When doing the first stir, I jammed my stir stick a bit too far down and tore the paper filter apparently, as I realized that during the pour.

2) I'm using the lovely Cuisinart burr grinder mentioned earlier.

Once again, loving amazing coffee. Can't wait until it gets even better tomorrow. I added a packet of Truvia as I'm so used to doing that with other coffee, and I didn't have any milk to throw in there like I normally do, but I could easily see drinking this stuff black, which I never usually do.
Ok, so I've found the settings that work best for the coffee dripper and I've been enjoying the coffee a bit.

However! Maybe it was because it was just a new experience or something, but NOTHING has matched how the coffee tasted that first day, when I accidentally ripped the paper filter. My coffee mug had the majority of the grounds in it at the bottom, as I realized when I got towards the bottom of the mug and ended up with grounds in my teeth...

However, the taste before the was great- it was so full and creamy...and it just doesn't taste the same through the coffee dripper. Now I've never tasted French press coffee before, but does the above describe how it tastes, since there's no real filter media? How can I emulate that taste? Am I just a complete loving weirdo?

I picked up some beans today from the local roaster and he had some of those bodum plastic carafe French presses for 20-30 depending on size, and I thought about picking one up, but figured I'd ask first to see some responses.