Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
If you didn't like that song instantly the first time you heard it you don't deserve to play this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
To you PS3 folks, the Ur-Dragon was down to 3 dots when I took my first ever peek at him a few minutes ago, so I think that means he'll probably get taken out sometime this afternoon or early evening?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

Are all the storyline fights even possible without ranged? I would think the Salomet fight and the one against the two Salvation wight-things are not possible without ranged since the former teleports instantly and the latter are flying and never land under any circumstances AFAIK.

I had to beat them with a lovely unupgraded bow and that starting bow skill.

Wights do land eventually/periodically, giving you an opening to smack them. But yeah, there's a reason the game in the beginning was like "make a balanced party".

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Overlord K posted:

To you PS3 folks, the Ur-Dragon was down to 3 dots when I took my first ever peek at him a few minutes ago, so I think that means he'll probably get taken out sometime this afternoon or early evening?
Is the grace period back? I haven't tried Ur since either 73 or 76 had no grace whatsoever.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It would appear that the definition of grace period has changed, I think? People are saying that you used to get half an hour where, once he was registered as dead for some people, you could get in and land a killing blow. Now what seems to happen is you have to get a copy of the dragon with a sliver of health and kill him legit yourself, breaking all his weak points. The time frame where you can get this new version of the dragon is...maybe only about five to ten minutes long, judging by some of the reactions I've seen online.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I heard that grace period is still on, it's just that the old way is only in effect for the last 10 minutes. Otherwise it has health, so bring a maker's finger. At least, that's what it looked like, considering I got the old fashioned grace a gen or so ago on xbox (I think it was #39).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I fought the ps3 ur-dragon until it retreated, it had two and a half bars left. How do I find out how much damage I did again?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In your History section of the start menu, there's a tab for Player that lists your total damage. You check it before and after. It's how I found out that I was doing about 1 million points of damage a fight with the Wounded Heart Longsword.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

While casually walking around Gran Soren, our party met... this fellow pictured in the left-front :stare::catstare::cripes:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

notZaar posted:

If you didn't like that song instantly the first time you heard it you don't deserve to play this game.

That song made me start laughing and cringing at how 90s buttrock is sounded to me. Now I make a game out of loading my save before the vocals start.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
When fighting a wight, what exactly do I need to do to get my ranger pawn to target the wight only? She's a challenger first, isn't that what they are supposed to do? She's the only one with a ranged weapon right now, I NEED her to bring that thing down so the rest of us can hack at it. But noooo, she spends all her time firing at zombies while the wight flies around unmolested in the air.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 26, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Clear out the zombies? v:shobon:v

You're right in that Challenger doesn't seem as on the ball about that as it should. I guess somehow the spellcasters, being so fragile, aren't getting the high priority they're supposed to.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lotish posted:

Clear out the zombies? v:shobon:v

You're right in that Challenger doesn't seem as on the ball about that as it should. I guess somehow the spellcasters, being so fragile, aren't getting the high priority they're supposed to.
The wight makes more zombies of course. It's like the enemy AI was written to exploit the pawn AI.

The more I watch their actions closely the stupider things I see. I get grabbed by a cyclops, I hit right on the d-pad to ask for help. What do my pawns do? My ranger pawn who was already crawling towards the cyclops's unprotected eye (I assume stabbing it there would make it drop me) suddenly jumps off, while my mage pawn casts lightning weapon on me. You know that scene in the Fifth Element where Bruce Willis is like THROW ME THE GUN!! and the guy throws him a pool ball instead? That's how I feel.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sindai posted:

He's exaggerating, the only things pawns are really bad at is metal golems, which exist at 2 easily-avoidable locations in the entire game. They're fine for everything else.

I've been using a ranger pawn for a while with various combinations of mitigator/challenger/scather, and cannot get him to do poo poo unlike when I had Freighter S. tanking like a pro as fighter or Herr Komrade actively applying buffs, healing and clearing status because those are two things pawns can do really well by contrast. Getting them to just shoot the enemies I'm fighting that are right in front of them, which their inclination should supposedly make them target first, has been far too much of a headache to be normal.

Other examples of brilliant pawn AI include my ranger pawn spending much of a cockatrice fight climbing around on it after I had unequipped his daggers to try to make him focus on shooting, and still refusing to attack it when I re-equipped his daggers while he was still latched on. He also never shot at it while it was flying, forcing me to use an awkward magick cannon setup to try and bring it down. In the same fight, a hired mage was also climbing around on the enemy when he obviously couldn't even hurt it like that.

In Soulflayer Canyon I worked my way from the upper to the lower entrance and on the way my main pawn randomly jumped off the walkway where the cyclops used to be, dying. No enemies around. When I got to the other entrance and started mining ore, my hired mage randomly started running away from me and never came back. I used the Come order several times and she verbally responded but didn't actually turn around. I tried chasing her but some phantasms noticed me so I had to run away to the entrance. Just before I left I saw her climbing the ladders on the far other side of the canyon, steadily making her lone journey away without me. Possibly the single most :psyduck: thing I've seen a pawn do, but it's a good example of how utterly baffling they can be in fights as well.

And the problem is when you actually have to rely on them to do something, because when they start acting like this it's kind of a problem when you don't have a bow you can use to fix everything yourself.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Gestalt Intellect posted:

In Soulflayer Canyon I worked my way from the upper to the lower entrance and on the way my main pawn randomly jumped off the walkway where the cyclops used to be, dying. No enemies around. When I got to the other entrance and started mining ore, my hired mage randomly started running away from me and never came back. I used the Come order several times and she verbally responded but didn't actually turn around. I tried chasing her but some phantasms noticed me so I had to run away to the entrance. Just before I left I saw her climbing the ladders on the far other side of the canyon, steadily making her lone journey away without me. Possibly the single most :psyduck: thing I've seen a pawn do, but it's a good example of how utterly baffling they can be in fights as well.

I had the exact thing happen to me in Soulflayer Canyon the first time I went there. I got down to the bottom and was taking out some gargoyles when my rented sorcerer decided she'd had enough and took off for the ladder that lead to the exit. Just climbing away as fast as her little legs would carry her.

This was less dangerous than fighting the archydra, getting swallowed, and having two of the pawns latch on to two different heads-- neither of which was the one eating me. Sometimes pawns are just the most adorable little dunces. :downs:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just fought the ps3 ur-dragon and when I started it only had an eighth of a health bar left. I jumped on it and just started wailing on one of its hearts, using that drink that causes you not to consume stamina, over and over again the entire time. It finally flew away, but surely I did enough damage to kill it. I mean, I got in probably literally a hundred hits on its heart with the Wounded Heart (1087 attack power). What now?

edit: I went back in the next day and there were some wakestones and rift crystals waiting for me, does that mean that someone or someones else struck the final blow after it flew away from me?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 26, 2012

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
To be fair, Soulflayer Canyon is where pawns go to die. That's the only place in the game where I lost an entire party from just exploring. All of them sort of just tripped down those slopes and fell into the Brine. My main pawn was the first to go :(

By the time I've met a gargoyle, I was alone, soaking wet, with only about a quarter of life bar left. Aptly name place, that.

edit

notZaar posted:

To me, that song perfectly encapsulate what this game is. A weird mixture of Japanese and Western design philosophy that worked despite/because of the flaws.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 26, 2012

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just fought the ps3 ur-dragon and when I started it only had an eighth of a health bar left. I jumped on it and just started wailing on one of its hearts, using that drink that causes you not to consume stamina, over and over again the entire time. It finally flew away, but surely I did enough damage to kill it. I mean, I got in probably literally a hundred hits on its heart with the Wounded Heart (1087 attack power). What now?

Did you try going back in to see if you'll get rewards for helping in the battle? I have been wailing on him on and off all afternoon as I played. I didn't actually manage to kill him despite getting him to spawn with literally a pixel of health (since he flew off when I was down to three cores :argh:) but I got some really nice drops just now for contributing. Holy daggers and a holy longsword, not bad at all, considering I'm an assassin.

Also using Masterful Kill repeatedly on the Ur-Dragon when he does that AoE spell is goddamn amazing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Overlord K posted:

Did you try going back in to see if you'll get rewards for helping in the battle? I have been wailing on him on and off all afternoon as I played. I didn't actually manage to kill him despite getting him to spawn with literally a pixel of health (since he flew off when I was down to three cores :argh:) but I got some really nice drops just now for contributing. Holy daggers and a holy longsword, not bad at all, considering I'm an assassin.

Also using Masterful Kill repeatedly on the Ur-Dragon when he does that AoE spell is goddamn amazing.
I edited but yeah. Rift crystals and wakestones, two things that I absolutely didn't need any of...why did I even bother?

edit: I went back one more time and now the 82nd ur-dragon is fully healed and ready to kick everyone's rear end.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 27, 2012

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Where the heck does reynard go in post-game? I can't find the bastard anywhere and I need those black gaiters to complete my outfit.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Where the heck does reynard go in post-game? I can't find the bastard anywhere and I need those black gaiters to complete my outfit.

I don't know if he keeps moving around or not, I found him at the camp before the Great Wall three different trips out there though.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Today's DLC: "Divine Protection" and "Demon's Protection" packs. It's a bunch of armor sets. Here are some bad pictures that I found. No idea which set is in which pack so if you don't want to buy both, hey good luck!

Apparently there are some subtle special effects that show up around your character with the chest pieces equipped but you can't see them on the equipment screen:

quote:

Chaos- black smoke rising up
Heresy- glowing orange 'ribs' and sparks like from a fire
Hero- very slight glow
Ancient- small green runes that orbit you
Monomi- black smoke pouring off you (looks different from Chaos)
Emissary- very very very subtle lightning

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
Most of those are impressively ugly. I can maybe get down with the hero stuff, minus the crown.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I finished NG for the first time last night and boy was that dragon fight underwhelming. The scripted stuff was kind of cool (but un-fun), and then the final fight he just lets you jump on his chest and tear his heart out with only the most half-hearted resistance. Took like 30 seconds and required no curatives. I was so pumped for the fight and brought along all my best potions I had been saving (first time I chugged a liquid vim all game). Quite bummed I didn't know to switch out my "better current stats but lower base stats" gear for the ones I had picked up in the Tainted Mountain, but hadn't upgraded yet and hence were worse than my old stuff.

Now I just wanna race through NG+ to the dragon over and over to dragonforge progressively more badass items.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I gave the silver idol to the smith earlier on, but I have a gold idol now. Is there any use for this thing or should I just stick it in the bank? No one else has asked me for an idol yet and Madeleine's shop is no more.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Seashell Salesman posted:

I finished NG for the first time last night and boy was that dragon fight underwhelming.

It's a bit of a strange fight really. Sometimes he breaks out his crazy attacks and starts being a dick, other times he just sits there and lets you wail on him.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

McDragon posted:

It's a bit of a strange fight really. Sometimes he breaks out his crazy attacks and starts being a dick, other times he just sits there and lets you wail on him.
Sounds like the way pawns behave too, the enemy and ally AI must share a lot.

I guess I kinda understand why they intentionally limited how aggressive the pawns are, they don't want them showing up the players, or making it so the player can just stand there and do nothing and still win every fight.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sheep posted:

I gave the silver idol to the smith earlier on, but I have a gold idol now. Is there any use for this thing or should I just stick it in the bank? No one else has asked me for an idol yet and Madeleine's shop is no more.
Keeping the idol in your or your pawn's inventory gives you a discount at the shops.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
So I just topped up the old MSP and am off for some adventures in DD, my current favourite game, what, if any DLC is worth getting? Whats the goon consensus here, as it's all like <300 points or less.

I bought 2000, but I only have 800 left because I impulse bought trials evolution (it looked good :3: and I enjoyed playing Trials HD on my mates xboxes)

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 27, 2012

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010

Sindai posted:

Keeping the idol in your or your pawn's inventory gives you a discount at the shops.

A forgery works as well so give that Gold one to Madeleine.

Also, I'm thinking I may be a tad overpowered.

I go Drake hunting at Devilfire Grove and as Roosevelt gives me frost, I target his heart and shoot him down with a Fivefold. As he lands, I grab on to his heart and start Dire Gouging the everloving Dogma out of him. He died 10 seconds later. And Dragonforged my Cloak and booties. :black101:

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
I keep seeing these 30s with all this fancy everfall gear and stuff. Makes me a little jealous. Are people just rushing the main story stuff and not bothering with any of the quest boards? I would like to get some of this awesome gear on my pawn so people would actually hire my pawn.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Seemenaked posted:

I keep seeing these 30s with all this fancy everfall gear and stuff. Makes me a little jealous. Are people just rushing the main story stuff and not bothering with any of the quest boards? I would like to get some of this awesome gear on my pawn so people would actually hire my pawn.

Are you on 360? If so give me your GT and I'll hire your pawn mate :3: I'm super high and love this game, I want to spread the lurve.

So yeah, anyone level 20-40 who wants a pawn used on 360, drop your GT here and I'll try to get him sometime tonight.

Also, mark me as another one who loves the themetune, and for some reason, I just never get tired of pawn chatter, even when its wolves for the millionth time, because you know what bros?

They ill like fire and I'll ne'er hit them swinging blindly because they hunt in packs. :allears:

edit: quick question, does ANY quest experience convert do discipline points, or is it just from slain things?

Seemenaked posted:

I'm MiloXXI on xbox live. My pawn is a 30 mage who is nearly maxed out, I was gonna switch her to sorc so I can get a few of those sweet augments. I have been trying to min-max but it ain't working out well cause I kill everything I come across and that is a lot of cyclops/chimeras and ogres. Do people just run away from them to keep their level low and their dcp high?

You're in luck, I just went into catacombs with a similar level mage, there's a rifstone outside, I've grabbed your pawn. Please don't be offended if she comes back actually wearing trousers though, as she is currently wearing lingerie with nothing over it but a robe that is open at the front, you terrible person :3:

if it's any consolation, she makes up for her strange adventuring garb by healing a bunch, so don't feel bad.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 27, 2012

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Intro music owns, but what is that wistful song that gets played quietly in the background sometimes in game (seemingly at random)? It's mostly female vocals and a nice melody that I can't make out very well. Might be because I have my TV volume turned down quite low when I'm playing. I have looked up the OST online but all of the track names except 2 are in Japanese and there are a shitload of tracks. I definitely do not remember that many separate pieces of music in the game.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm sure I've gone up ranks after turning in quests before.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Starting NG+, time to focus entirely on completing missable quests that I missed last time, and looking cool. At least for now I'm a strider with no knives, punching the poo poo out of any enemy that comes too close.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
I'm MiloXXI on xbox live. My pawn is a 30 mage who is nearly maxed out, I was gonna switch her to sorc so I can get a few of those sweet augments. I have been trying to min-max but it ain't working out well cause I kill everything I come across and that is a lot of cyclops/chimeras and ogres. Do people just run away from them to keep their level low and their dcp high?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tooooooo bad posted:

Today's DLC: "Divine Protection" and "Demon's Protection" packs. It's a bunch of armor sets. Here are some bad pictures that I found. No idea which set is in which pack so if you don't want to buy both, hey good luck!

Apparently there are some subtle special effects that show up around your character with the chest pieces equipped but you can't see them on the equipment screen:

A lot of that stuff is just pallet swaps of stuff already in the game, too. I guess we really need a third version of the chimeran helmet. I never expect much from this game's DLC but man does it all just reek of :effort:.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

A lot of that stuff is just pallet swaps of stuff already in the game, too. I guess we really need a third version of the chimeran helmet. I never expect much from this game's DLC but man does it all just reek of :effort:.

Is it :effort: or is it just really cynical and money-grubbing?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

The palette swaps are kinda nice though, because some of that gear was only available for different classes, like the existing helm that looks like Hero's Hood I'm pretty sure was magey rather than Fighter/Warrior/Mystic Knight (I like the Hero's Hood look :)).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

That is some ugly gear. They should just wait a bit and release a big patch with a lot of monster hunter gear or somethin'. Hell they could add a drat rathalos or kutkus and I would shell out 10$ easy.

• Locked thread