Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Welcome to the new Canadian Cellular thread, wherein we discuss the cellular industry in Canada, which is probably the worst in the world. Any questions related to any of the Canadian carriers is welcome here. I'm a sales rep for Bell so that's my area of expertise, but I'm somewhat familiar with the other carriers, and there are plenty of knowledgeable goons here. So let's get started with my personal rundown of the carriers.

THE BIG 3
  • Bell: They are dominant in the Atlantic region (after they bought out local carrier Aliant) and tend to have service even in the rural parts. They currently have the largest LTE network. Has really terrible prepaid options, unless you are just requiring an emergency phone for your grandma who lives in the middle of nowhere and can’t get reception with anyone else.

• Telus: Similar to Bell, they offer similar plans and used to have pretty similar phones although nowadays Telus has a rather mediocre lineup of phones. Network isn't quite as strong in Eastern Canada but is pretty much the best in Western Canada.

• Rogers: Has probably the weakest network of the Big 3, seriously lacking in the Atlantic region and any place that isn't heavily populated. They use the GSM network along with Fido and are the only operators in Canada that ever had a 2G GSM network, so if you have an old, unlocked phone that won't work on Bell or Telus, try them.
THE OTHER ONES
  • Koodo: Owned by Telus, they were the first to bring the "tab" system to Canada, and later caused big waves when they eliminated long distance charges in all their plans. They do not offer pay as you go service. Since they operate on a basic tab system they typically only offer cheaper, lower end phones.

• Fido: Discount brand of Rogers. No stores in Atlantic Canada. Uses the GSM network.

• Virgin: Recently purchased by Bell. They offer pay as you go, contract, and tab plans, and offer pretty much the same lineup as Bell. Some of their plans are a little cheaper and some of them do not charge long distance.

• Solo: Does anyone use Solo anymore? It's Bell's neglected child that they pretty much crop out of the family photos now that they own Virgin. I'm not terribly familiar with them but I think they're basically your average discount brand. They do not exist in any form in Atlantic Canada. You cannot get a new phone number there, you must cancel your contract at your expense.

• WIND Mobile: The darling of jaded Canadian cellular customers, WIND proves what most Big 3 management refuse to believe: That people will put up with lovely service if it's cheap. They offer very cheap, mostly unlimited plans including unlimited data. They don't do contracts but offer a tab system. They do not have a foothold in all of Canada yet and just have pockets of reception in core areas, where even at the best of times reception can be a little shaky. They're trying to expand but have faced resistance from the Big 3 since they arrived in Canada. If you use your phone outside of one of their "home" zones, you are roaming on the Rogers network and are subject to massive roaming fees. If you can get service with them, great, but use with caution.

• Mobilicity: Still pretty much the same as WIND.

• Eastlink: A telecommunications company that recently launched a cellular service to go with their TV/internet/residential phone services, and currently only operates in Atlantic Canada. They are a typical discount brand, they operate on a tab system and offer discounts if you bundle your cell phone into their residential services. They do not currently have iPhones, not sure if they even support them, and share Rogers towers when not in the Atlantic region.
FAQ

Q: What's this new cell phone legislation everyone's been harping about?

A: The CRTC finally did a thing. A new set of rules that all carriers must follow has been put into place, and has been slowly implemented throughout 2013 and is fully in place as of late November 2013 with all carriers. It fixes some, but not all, of the big complaints of the Canadian cellular industry. I'll provide a quick rundown, but let me begin by saying that IT IS NOT RETROACTIVE. YOU CAN ONLY APPLY FOR IT BY RESIGNING A CONTRACT, CHANGING YOUR RATE PLAN, OR WHEN YOUR CONTRACT RUNS OUT
  • No more 3 year contracts. It's 2 years or no contract at all. This is probably the most controversial aspect because carriers compensated for this by simply raising their plans. A lot. Especially the tab providers. If you chose to resign a contract to upgrade your phone, you will often be forced to switch to one of these plans, so buying phones outright is becoming a better idea.

• Your cancellation fee is now the same as the discount they gave you off the phone. It also goes down at an equal rate every month. You can upgrade early by paying off what's left owing of your termination fee.

• You no longer need to give 30 days notice to cancel your service. Happy now?

• Unlocking policy is now relatively sane. Further details below.

• Data overages are capped at $50. Roaming charges capped at $100. If you reach this amount, service is simply cut off and you are given the option to continue to pay if you want to keep using it.

• If your phone needs to be repaired under the one year warranty, a loaner phone must be provided for free. If one is not available, the carrier must suspend your charges until one is available.

• Return policy is 15 days with less than 30 minutes of call time. You can also identify yourself as having a disability, which doubles the time period
Q: Which carrier should I go with?

A: It depends on your needs of course. At the end of the day, most of the Big 3 carriers are the same. Google “Bell complaints”, “Rogers complaints” and “Telus complaints” and you’ll find dozens of people accusing each carrier of being the worst company on the planet that is only interested in sucking out all your money and eating babies. There’s no way a carrier can screw you over that any of the Canadian carriers aren’t guilty of at some point. They all hire lovely call center reps who have zero accountability and hire sales reps who are incapable of remembering all the poo poo that they need to give you correct information.

That said, Koodo is the best if you need long distance, and has decent coverage for being a discount brand. WIND is great if you want everything unlimited with a decent price, but beware of reception issues. Bell is used by large companies because they have a powerful network. Telus is a good alternative. Rogers is good in the heavily populated areas but beware of traveling as they can lose coverage pretty easily.

Q: Contract, tab, or prepaid?
  • A: In a contract, you sign a contract to your provider promising them to pay them money for 2 years. In return, the carrier takes a loss by giving you a phone for a fraction of what the carrier paid to acquire it.

• A tab is when you get a phone discounted by a set amount, and a percentage of your phone bill (usually 10% or so, excluding taxes and late fees) goes towards paying off that tab. The amount of your tab is basically your early termination fee, so there’s no real risk in taking a tab since you never end up paying more than what the phone would have cost to buy outright.

With the new CRTC laws regarding phone contracts, tab plans have taken a real kick in the balls. Tabs used to be cheap because you could get a cheap plan and take all the time you need to pay off your phone. Now, carriers are required to allow full upgrade/free cancellation within two years, so carriers raised the prices on them to ensure they made their money back before that happens. Most tabs plans have arbitrary "phone charges", which are extra charges on your bill that serve no purpose other than to help reimburse the company for taking large losses on some high subsidy phones (like iPhones).

• Prepaid is when you purchase prepaid cards in a particular monetary amount and your phone plan/usage is deducted from the balance of money you maintain by buying prepaid cards. If you run out, your phone stops working. You are never billed, never require a credit check and cannot get into debt. I’m not familiar with any prepaid plans other than Bell, but I can assure you they’re terrible. Tracking your funds is very difficult, and you must buy enough funds to make sure your plan stays in effect, which usually results in you paying almost as much as a monthly bill. It’s fine for emergency usage or maybe unlimited texting, but anything else should be avoided unless your credit is really, really bad.
Q: My phone is hosed up! What do I do?

A: Your carrier has no obligation to provide you with a working phone. They didn’t build your phone and thus cannot guarantee it. This means if your phone goes defective, even if it’s not your fault, they will not just give you a new one for nothing. All carriers are like this, and it’s probably one of the worst things about cell phone companies these days. Having said that, you can try to get it fixed, but this involves sending your phone away for a potentially long time, and loaner phones may be difficult to get. The repair center is a third party who never answers emails/phone calls, and their diagnosis is final. If they said it got wet but your phone never left your bedside, too bad. Carriers have no say in this. If your phone is out of warranty, you should try to see if there are any local, independent businesses that repair devices. With so many phones now falling under the category of “iPhone” or “Blackberry”, it’s getting easier to find people with the means to repair them locally, often cheaper than what the manufacturer would charge. Always keep a spare phone as a backup, especially if your cell phone is your only means of communication!

Q: I just moved here/visiting from another country. What have you got for me?

A: I’m so loving sorry.

You won’t find any prepaid sim cards that you can just pick up and go. You’ll need to go to a store and buy a prepaid phone/plan. Your unlocked phone may not work with all providers, depending on the frequency the phone runs on. Rogers/Fido have always used GSM, so if you can’t activate on Bell/Telus, try them.

Q: How do I get one of those sweet retention deals?

A: Results differ from person to person, but you generally call up your customer service department and threaten to cancel. They will then try to haggle a new deal for you. After you find a deal it's wise to call them again and speak to someone else just to confirm your account is properly noted and that you're getting what you think you're getting.

Q: Some guy from <insert random Middle Eastern country with a thinly veiled racist tone to your voice here> called me to offer me a new phone/plan.

A: Hang up. Hang up now. Do not agree to anything, I don't care how good the deal is just don't. These guys have zero accountability and will say whatever they need to so you will say yes. They gently caress up plans constantly but oh well you can't ever contact them again anyway. Returning or servicing a phone is also nearly impossible as stores probably won't have a record of it.

Q: I loving hate the customer service department?

A: That’s a strange question, but if you aren’t satisfied by a customer service agent and they refuse to transfer you, hang up and call again. You almost never get the same guy twice, and some agents are better than others. Many spend 8+ hours a day getting screamed out by genuine assholes and have lost any humanity they may have had. If something sounds wrong, question it. This goes the same for in store reps. Never be afraid to get a second opinion!

Q: How does phone unlocking work in Canada?

A: Carriers can unlock any of their phones for a fee, usually between $35-$50, potentially more if you have restrictions based on your credit score. The waiting period is a maximum of 90 days before a phone that was bought on contract can be unlocked, or at any time if the device is not on contract.

Q: Why is cellular service so bad here?

A: A few reasons, but I'd say it's a combination of a lack of decent regulation to keep carriers in check, along with the unusual nature of competition in telecommunications. We're all used to companies trying to undercut each other in order to compete. This is because most companies only have the variable of price to compete with. The Kraft Dinner you buy at grocery store A is the same kind you buy at grocery store B. With cellular carriers this is not so. Carriers have many variables to compete with, such as network coverage (this is the main one), different devices, different plans, different services, and sales representatives trained in the latest techniques to make you not care about prices. Prices are important, yes, but cellular carriers will attempt to bolster these aforementioned variables first before they consider lowering their actual prices. This is why a carrier can raise their prices with no worries about what their competition will do, and why companies will wait a long time before matching a competitor that has launched a much cheaper service. Prices will go down in response eventually, but it takes a long, long time. I'm not defending these practices or saying that they are considered rational to a consumer in any way, but given my time in this field it's what I've noticed.

Q: Where else can I complain online besides a comedy forum?

A: http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/ The CCTS is an organization for resolving cell phone customer complaints. A goon or two on this thread tried this method and had some success, so it's worth a try.

OilSlick fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wind and Mobilicity are not the exactly same. Sure they used the same bands and so are compatible phone-wise, but Mobilicity usually has more generous plans, including promotional plans that are sometimes (but increasingly rarely) lifetime rather limited term, whereas Wind's tab basically pays for your phone if you stay with them for 3 years. Also Mobilicity offers increasingly generous discounts on your plan if you pay for multiple months (in advance?), which is roughly comparable to Wind's tab but locks you in for up to a year at a time. If you do pay for a year you can get unlimited everything for $30-35 right now, compared to $40 for Wind. However given that Mobilicity doesn't tend to discount all of their phones regularly it might be wiser to get a phone from Wind first and switch over if you don't like the service.

Mobilicity's also :canada:-owned and so is for now safe from whatever fuckery Ottawa chooses to do with foreign ownership regulations. They use completely different towers so you may get crap reception with one but not the other depending on where you live. Both use higher frequencies than the big 3 and hence tend to suck indoors, although I've found I can use both Mobilicity and Rogers at some points in the subway in Toronto (Bloor and St. Clair station platforms, which I think are shallower than most stops).

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 25, 2012

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I've found Wind actually pretty reliable since they stepped up tower deployments over the past year. I'm out in the Niagara region but I get great reception pretty much everywhere out here near except on top of the escarpment. When I visit my parents out in Oakville its a bit iffy in a few areas but other than that I rarely have problems. I don't really visit TO much so no idea what its like there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I would love to switch to WIND but they don't offer service in my area yet :( They've said "coming soon" for the past year or so, so who knows.

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005
Perhaps this should be added to the OP for people that want to sign-up with either WIND or Mobilicity. It lets you check the signal strength in your area. Although the caveat is that it's crowd sourced so some of the low traffic areas may not be up to date.

http://www.coveragemapper.com/map.php?mccmnc=302490

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

MoxSquad posted:

Perhaps this should be added to the OP for people that want to sign-up with either WIND or Mobilicity. It lets you check the signal strength in your area. Although the caveat is that it's crowd sourced so some of the low traffic areas may not be up to date.

http://www.coveragemapper.com/map.php?mccmnc=302490
That looks incredibly handy, thanks.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CLAM DOWN posted:

I would love to switch to WIND but they don't offer service in my area yet :( They've said "coming soon" for the past year or so, so who knows.

Windsor, Kingston and Winnipeg should be this year around the fall if all goes right in testing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I live in one of Wind's unlimited service areas (London :banjo: ), and I haven't had any problems with the reception so far, using my cheap & lovely Huawei.

I gotta say though, Wind stores are more no-frills than... NoFrills.

They're so bare and ghetto, you'd swear it was some front for acquiring your personal info, rather than a new and (hopefully?) growing phone service provider.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 26, 2012

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mister Macys posted:

I live in one of Wind's unlimited service areas (London :banjo: ), and I haven't had any problems with the reception so far, using my cheap & lovely Huawei.

They're so bare and ghetto, you'd swear it was some front for acquiring your personal info, rather than a new and (hopefully?) growing phone service provider.

Odd. They're pretty nice in Vancouver.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
The ones downtown have that Microsoft surface or pixelsense or whatever it's called now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

Windsor, Kingston and Winnipeg should be this year around the fall if all goes right in testing.

I'm in a suburb of Vancouver and am in the "planned expansion" area :(

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

less than three posted:

Odd. They're pretty nice in Vancouver.

London is the southern U.S. of Canada. :banjo:
Poor, cheap, conservative, fat, cheap, and with only bars for entertainment.

Not counting the one semi-pro hockey team, and one university football team, of course.

No joke, I didn't know "Red Lobster" and "upscale" could go together, until I spent two days in Toronto a few weeks ago.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 26, 2012

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

CLAM DOWN posted:

White Rock/Pitt Meadows are marked as expansion but there is currently service there.

They're pretty conservative with their map now, compared to before where they'd suggest service but it'd be spotty. My parents house is a decent distance from the coverage map, simply Away (with no planned expansion) but I get 4 bars there.

less than three fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 26, 2012

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Mister Macys posted:

Yeah the one in St. Catharines is hilariously barebones. I don't really mind if it means savings on my monthly bill I guess. I do wish they would start getting serious about accessories, they had like a half dozen Blackberry accessories and almost none for the flagship Android phones. The clerk told my GF "oh just hit up Ebay :smug:".

quote:

I would love to switch to WIND but they don't offer service in my area yet They've said "coming soon" for the past year or so, so who knows.

They are very slow at updating the official coverage map so I would check it out every so often on forums or Coveragemapper. My town was added for like 3 months but they still hadn't updated the coverage map, I found out totally by accident.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 26, 2012

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
One of their stores in Waterloo only had lovely hard cases that crumbled into dust in a month as far as accessories go. At least the store was nice. Shame that the clerk fumbled my address and it took half an hour for her to realize that maybe I don't live in PEI.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm sure you'll all be sad to know that Rogers' profits have slumped as they are signing up record numbers of victims customers with subsidized smartphones. I guess I'm supposed to feel sorry for them because there's no way they'll make up those subsidies within a year of their ridiculous $60/month+ plans.

quote:

It [Rogers] estimates about 60 per cent of its subscriber base is now on smartphones, but chief financial officer Bill Linton, who retires Wednesday, said the newest subscribers are less willing to pay monthly fees that exceed $100, opting for cheaper plans.

quote:

chief financial officer Bill Linton, who retires Wednesday, said the newest subscribers are less willing to pay monthly fees that exceed $100, opting for cheaper plans.

quote:

the newest subscribers are less willing to pay monthly fees that exceed $100, opting for cheaper plans.

quote:

subscribers are less willing to pay monthly fees that exceed $100

No loving poo poo!

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

The Gunslinger posted:

They are very slow at updating the official coverage map so I would check it out every so often on forums or Coveragemapper. My town was added for like 3 months but they still hadn't updated the coverage map, I found out totally by accident.
Yeah they were putting up a tower between Fort Erie and Port Colborne, which apparently was some big huge secret because it took several months before they would admit anything in Niagara was online.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rogers is so goddamn crooked it's beyond me. I hope they crash and burn. Then I can get out of my disgusting contract.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All companies are terrible, but I am seriously thinking about ditching Rogers for one of the others now that I'm finally month to month. Whoever will get me the best iPhone plan I guess.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Rogers consistently seems like the worst of the worst, but maybe that's just grass is greener syndrome? All I know is I'm seriously considering paying the ETF to get out a year early and switch to someone else when the next iPhone hits.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'll move my post about Chatr and how Rogers owns them and you should never ever sign up with them over to this thread!

Chatr was set up by Rogers as an immediate response to WIND and Mobilicity, trying to capitalize on the "unanticipated" welcome by Canadian consumers to new wireless competitors. Also, they were hoping nobody really looked into Chatr's ownership, so that people might sign up with them without knowing they were wholly operated by one of the Big Three. Their ads pimped their "reliability" until they were sued by WIND and Mobilicity taken to court by the Federal Competition Bureau for not backing up any of their claims.

Huh, looks like Wikipedia has a really good summary of why they suck!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatr

quote:

Their "chatr zone" coverage is artificially limited to match the coverage of Wind Mobile, Public Mobile and Mobilicity, and so using a Chatr phone outside of these zones results in additional charges.

quote:

Controversy:

Several controversies regarding Chatr received mainstream media coverage. The company received two accusations of breaching the Competition Act in Canada.

Fighter brand

Chatr has been accused of violating the Competition Act because it is a fighter brand created by Rogers. Chatr's pricing policy closely reflects that of Wind Mobile, Mobilicity and Public Mobile. Mobilicity's chairman, John Bitove, said that "[Rogers is] leveraging the other parts of their business to kill the competition […] If they succeed in killing us off there's no question they'd kill the Chatr brand off".

Advertising claims

Shortly after its launch, Chatr published many advertisements claiming that their network has “fewer dropped calls than new wireless carriers”. Following a complaint by wireless carriers Wind Mobile and Mobilicity, the Federal Competition Bureau has asked the Ontario Superior Court of Justice under the Misleading Advertising Provisions of the Competition Act to order Rogers to:
  • Stop Chatr's advertising campaign
  • Pay a 10-million dollar penalty
  • Pay restitution to any customers affected by the misleading claim
  • Send out a corrective notice to inform the public about the issue
The Bureau has accused Rogers of:
  • using misleading advertising to promote its talk-and-text service Chatr..."
  • having "...no evidence support[ing] Chatr's claim that their customers will experience fewer dropped calls than they would with new rival wireless carriers..."
  • directly breaching Section 78 of Misleading Advertising Provisions relating to "False or Misleading Representations and Deceptive Marketing Practices"
According to the Court documents from the preceding, the bureau found that the on average there is no significant difference between the number of dropped calls on Chatr and new carriers. Furthermore, in the cases of Ottawa and Toronto, new carriers experienced slightly fewer dropped calls than did Chatr.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
What's the cheapest you can get for an unlocked 4s in terms of month to month plans that will give you all the features my current Rogers plan is giving me? Things like data, visual voicemail, call id, etc.

I dunno, living in Toronto Rogers seems to be just fine except for the price. I have no problems with them when I call for random questions and I've never been hosed over by them.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

CLAM DOWN posted:

Most of the suburbs already have coverage, they're just not on the map for whatever reason. The only place my phone doesn't work is parts of North Delta.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Based on recommendations from the previous thread, my wife and I broke our Bell contract early and signed up with WIND. It is ~*NICE*~ to be completely Bell-free at last, I can say that much (my home phone and internet have been with TekSavvy for a while now). I work near the Eaton Centre and reception isn't fantastic, but it's serviceable, and it's much better where I live, since they apparently have a tower there (Dundas & Sherbourne [no stalkers plz]).

So thanks goons for the recommendation...also the latest Galaxy Nexus is a drat sweet phone, especially coming from the Palm Centro I've been using for the past three years.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Mister Macys posted:

How is wind's reception on the edge of town? I live east dundas and my Rogers reception starts crapping out once pull into my street. It's to a point where I have to forward my calls to my phone.

I'm looking to get out of Rogers once my contract is finished and wind looks good

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Looks like the telus team webstore has refurb iphone 4 for 250 without contracts. Thinking of jumping on that instead of buying used from some shady guy on craigslist.

rawrr fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 27, 2012

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

rawrr posted:

Looks like the telus team webstore has refurb iphone 4 for 250 without contracts. Thinking of jumping on that instead of buying used from some shady guy on craigslist.

Wow, that's a good deal. I'm currently one of said shady guys on craigslist, selling a Rogers iPhone 4 for $320: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mob/3098494962.html. I'll let it go for $280 if some Vancouver goon is interested.

(If this isn't kosher for this thread, please let me know and I'll remove).

Lexicon fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 27, 2012

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I'm actually in Vancouver (and near Mount Pleasant) too. And I'm currently on rogers. Hmm, I'll shoot you a PM/craigslist e-mail if I decide to go that route.

As far as I know, telus employees get some sort of perk if I order with their webstore login - I found one with crafty googling, but I'd prefer the perk go to a goon. Please PM me if you have one.

Trikster Thief
Aug 6, 2004

I don't smile, sometimes I only pretend to smile, so you can leave me alone. (not e/n)
I'm thinking of getting the HTC One V from Koodo because it's doesn't have a contract with the 35 dllrs city koodo unlimited long with the 5 dllrs data saver add-on (because that's the only one that the koodo webpage lets me add). I don't plan in using a whole lot of browsing of facebook but it's nice to have it in there in case I need it.

Is this the best I can get in Montreal without a contract and somewhat nice phones or are there better options?

Trikster Thief fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 27, 2012

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Lexicon posted:

Wow, that's a good deal. I'm currently one of said shady guys on craigslist, selling a Rogers iPhone 4 for $320: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mob/3098494962.html. I'll let it go for $280 if some Vancouver goon is interested.

Would be in interested in this as well but in Ontario. If you don't get a local buyer, I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

iLikeMidgets posted:

Would be in interested in this as well but in Ontario. If you don't get a local buyer, I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands

Ok, preference would be to sell locally just to avoid shipping headaches, but I'll let you know if I don't move it in the next week or so. Cheers.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Lexicon posted:

Ok, preference would be to sell locally just to avoid shipping headaches, but I'll let you know if I don't move it in the next week or so. Cheers.

Sounds good thanks. I need an iPhone real soon but would rather avoid shady guys from Craigslist/kijiji as well.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Lexicon posted:

If only it was Bell. I've been looking at trading/selling my Desire Z to get an iPhone, and that's a really good price.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If anyone from Saskatoon wants to see an S3, I'll be in Midtown Mall tomorrow for most of the day. I'll be Regina on Thursday and Friday too.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
God damnit, Telus.

50 minutes
2gb data
unlimited text messaging
caller ID

$83 per month before fees.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

jwoven posted:

God damnit, Telus.

50 minutes
2gb data
unlimited text messaging
caller ID

Only 50 minutes? Good jesus.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

iLikeMidgets posted:

How is wind's reception on the edge of town? I live east dundas and my Rogers reception starts crapping out once pull into my street. It's to a point where I have to forward my calls to my phone.

I'm looking to get out of Rogers once my contract is finished and wind looks good

I don't own a car, so I can't say how that affects reception, but it was fine walking through NoFrills/WalMart in Argyle Mall.
And texts weren't a problem on the 401 to Toronto.

jwoven posted:

God damnit, Telus.

50 minutes
2gb data
unlimited text messaging
caller ID

:pwn:

Yyyeah, I'll take my lovely Wind 25 with only 100Mb and unlimited local, or a Wind 40 with unlimited talk, text, AND data any day, over that bullshit.
I don't care how much better the coverage is, that price is loving bullshit.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 27, 2012

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Yeah, I can get by just fine on 50 minutes, but gently caress

Looks like if I go with the 150 minute voice, it comes with unlimited text messaging, as well as caller ID and voicemail. Toss in the 2gb data, and it's at a mere $70.

Promo plan has 200 minutes, unlimited text messaging, caller ID, voice mail, and 1gb data (the data flex) for $65.

Right now, I'm paying $40 for 50 minutes, unlimited text messaging, caller ID, voice mail, and 100mb data.

I'd love to go on Wind or Mobilicity (my sister is only paying $25 for unlimited everything) and they even have decent coverage in my area, but I don't want an android phone.

:smith:

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Anyone have any luck finding a Galaxy S3? My store didn't get any and we have no idea when more will come in. They only sent like 20 to our stores in Nova Scotia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

jwoven posted:

Yeah, I can get by just fine on 50 minutes, but gently caress

Looks like if I go with the 150 minute voice, it comes with unlimited text messaging, as well as caller ID and voicemail. Toss in the 2gb data, and it's at a mere $70.

Promo plan has 200 minutes, unlimited text messaging, caller ID, voice mail, and 1gb data (the data flex) for $65.

Right now, I'm paying $40 for 50 minutes, unlimited text messaging, caller ID, voice mail, and 100mb data.

I'd love to go on Wind or Mobilicity (my sister is only paying $25 for unlimited everything) and they even have decent coverage in my area, but I don't want an android phone.

:smith:

You can get the same thing from Koodo for $35 (plus tax) and it's $30 if you use 25MB or less in a given month.