Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

crestfallen posted:

It's better overall. FF gets a little better with every release. You'll be the best judge though.

Also, fauxbar is a Chrome add-on that will do what you want. Not as convenient as being the default location bar behavior, but it works basically exactly like FF.

Thanks! Maybe I'll give it another whirl, it's been so long since I used it last that I've forgotten, but there were some things I recall missing when I first switched to Chrome that FF has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Lord Dekks posted:

I'm sure this has been asked many times over but didn't see anything for the last few pages. I used Firefox for years until the end of last year when suddenly it started getting really sluggish, especially switching tabs seemed a bit slow as if it had to load it from memory again etc.

From my experience/investigation in the past, the problem in this case is that Firefox usually (always?) runs garbage collection when you switch tabs. There's a particular class of memory leak that can make this take a long time. In recent versions, they've both eliminated many sources of these memory leaks, but they've also made the garbage collection itself tremendously faster, so there's a good chance the problem you were having has gone away.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
How do I make it so that Firefx stops asking to update?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Tools > Options > Advanced > Update

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

dud root posted:

Tools > Options > Advanced > Update

Thanks. The path is lttle different in mac but I got it down thanks to to you.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Thanks for the "disable protected mode" bit, that fixed all my problems with Flash 11.3.
It also reduced CPU usage when watching HD streams by ~1/3 for some reason.

For those too lazy to google it, go to %windir%/system??/Macromed/Flash/ and add a "ProtectedMode=0" line to mms.cfg
Of course consider the reduced security when doing it.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 23, 2012

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
considering that the .1 update was to specifically deal with Flash and how it interacts with a Real Player plugin and the minor release Adobe did, the problem looks to be on both sides of the fence.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

sauer kraut posted:

Thanks for the "disable protected mode" bit, that fixed all my problems with Flash 11.3.

For those too lazy to google it, go to %windir%/system??/Macromed/Flash/ and add a "ProtectedMode=0" line to mms.cfg
Warning: Disabling protected mode makes you much more vulnerable to malware infection through Flash exploits. That said, after Adobe's update last night I went from "fine" to "crashing constantly" in Aurora 15, and this seems to have fixed it.

Bonus Edit: Bug 751826 is open in Bugzilla as a topcrash to investigate this, but that doesn't mean it's not a Flash defect causing the crashes.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 23, 2012

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

sauer kraut posted:

In 32-bit Windows, that "system??" is "system32"; in 64-bit, it's "SysWOW64".

Another problem with protected mode - when viewing a flash directly (by going to the SWF) without Firefox maximized, the window can't be resized. I think they should have tested it more before pushing it out.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
e: removed

xtal fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 2, 2013

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
I'm having a problem with Firefox where any Youtube video gets distorted when I scroll through it. Whatever's on the page above or below gets pasted and repeated over the video, which makes reading threads where there are inbedded videos almost impossible to follow. I only remember this starting when I switched from 3.6 to 13 and I have the latest Flash installed, and no Flash/Youtube addons installed.

Screen:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Lord of Sword posted:

I'm having a problem with Firefox where any Youtube video gets distorted when I scroll through it. Whatever's on the page above or below gets pasted and repeated over the video, which makes reading threads where there are inbedded videos almost impossible to follow. I only remember this starting when I switched from 3.6 to 13 and I have the latest Flash installed, and no Flash/Youtube addons installed.
Known issue with the current version of Flash, I'd make sure you really do have the latest, and try updating your graphics drivers. If that doesn't help look up the page for the instructions to disable protected mode, which may do it, at the cost of security.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Speaking of YouTube, for several months now I've had this issue where it chokes for about 1/2 second every ~10 seconds of playtime, regardless of resolution, full-screen status, embedded status etc. Watching YouTube on Chromium works fine, so it's something with my Firefox. Does that symptom ring a bell with anyone?

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

NihilCredo posted:

Speaking of YouTube, for several months now I've had this issue where it chokes for about 1/2 second every ~10 seconds of playtime, regardless of resolution, full-screen status, embedded status etc. Watching YouTube on Chromium works fine, so it's something with my Firefox. Does that symptom ring a bell with anyone?

My wife's laptop has had similar issues. In her case though, it's because she has two Firefox windows open with about fifty or so tabs open that have been going for week or months on end and it's using up about 1.5GB of memory. The video freezes for a split second every ten seconds or so, but the audio continues. You can open up IE at the same time and a video will play normally. I'm guessing your issue isn't form abusing Firefox as badly as my wife though.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I had firefox 3.6 installed and infrequently used for quake live up until I reformatted a few weeks ago :ohdear:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Just found what I am certain is another oddity. I am running Win 7 Ultimate, got one year old LCD on DVI, and an 8 year old LCD on VGA, not sure that matters but I cant think of anything else.

The problem is I loaded a PDF in my web-browser using the adobe extension, and it hosed up the colors on my 2nd monitor. This is not simply a problem with the monitor, the colors all look normal, I even took a pic of the monitor with a color test pattern to illustrate that. If I move the tab with adobe to my other monitor the colors appear perfect. Furthermore, I downloaded the pdf and used stand alone adobe reader on both monitors and the colors are fine. I don't know if this as an Adobe or Firefox issue but I have not yet found any other cases of color problems with my ancient monitor.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm using 13.0.1. In the last few weeks (I think) images and embedded youtube vids will look like this some times when I scroll down quickly, it's not every time but enough:

Is this even firefox related I can't even think of a word that describes that to google, is is tearing?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Jippa posted:

I'm using 13.0.1. In the last few weeks (I think) images and embedded youtube vids will look like this some times when I scroll down quickly, it's not every time but enough:

Is this even firefox related I can't even think of a word that describes that to google, is is tearing?

It's a known issue with Flash.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Toast Museum posted:

It's a known issue with Flash.

Ah,ok thanks, will it be patched?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Probably in 2016, knowing Adobe

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Jippa posted:

Ah,ok thanks, will it be patched?

One would hope, but I haven't heard anything about a timeframe. It has been suggested in this thread that disabling protected mode might hide this bug like it does with some others from the most recent Flash update, but making Flash even less secure for the sake of a graphical glitch seems like a bad tradeoff to me.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Is there a way to permanently disable the Add-on Bar? I'm sick of installing an Add-on, then having it corrupt my profile, permanently showing up with new windows and having to close each instance manually ever time.

I'm synching Add-ons between three machines, if that helps any.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Also posting to say that disabling protected mode has fixed all my problems with FF13 and Flash. Works for me.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

pipes! posted:

Is there a way to permanently disable the Add-on Bar? I'm sick of installing an Add-on, then having it corrupt my profile, permanently showing up with new windows and having to close each instance manually ever time.

If you remove all the buttons out of it it shouldn't show up.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

OK, I'm having some major memory leaking issues leading to extremely poor performance with my FF install at work. Haven't had problems with earlier versions. Is there anything I can do to fix this or just wait for a newer version?

I'm running Pale Moon 12.2.1 off a flash drive, one I've been using for a few years without incident. I think the poor performance began with 12.x - not exactly sure when. If I disable all my addons, I get much better performance, but it still sucks compared to how it was before. I'd also rather have poo poo performance with addons than fast browsing without important stuff like Adblock and NoScript and Ghostery (which aren't really the problem-causers anyway).

I only ever keep a few tabs open - two for work which barely get changed from the pages they stay on (static pages), and one for other browsing which goes to a variety of places but not too many. After about an hour I find Pale Moon is using over 550MB of RAM, sometimes over 600MB. Even with just a single tab open running, say, Facebook or Gmail, it uses up almost 150MB. This machine has plenty of RAM but that is still an absurd amount for a browser to use. Anyone know what is likely to be causing this and any tweaks I can do to mitigate it?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
You're using an unofficial build significantly behind the official release, it's not really surprising that you're having issues. Switch to an official build, possibly Beta or Aurora depending on how much you want the newer performance improvements and features. I would start with a clean profile and only install the add-ons and plug-ins that you really want.

As a general note and reminder to everyone else: NEVER use 64-bit builds of Firefox. They are much slower than 32-bit builds because the JavaScript engine is tuned to generate 32-bit code. At some point they may merge in a 64-bit JS engine and enable these builds officially, but until then they are a bad idea.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Alereon posted:

You're using an unofficial build significantly behind the official release, it's not really surprising that you're having issues. Switch to an official build, possibly Beta or Aurora depending on how much you want the newer performance improvements and features. I would start with a clean profile and only install the add-ons and plug-ins that you really want.

Yeah, I'll probably have to go through the trouble and just do this. I was using Pale Moon since it's fine on my home desktop and I like having an actual status bar (which PM restores and I haven't found a way to get back on normal Firefox), plus it was supposed to provide better performance by being optimized for Windows. And yeah I use the 32 bit version. Just annoying that everything was fine for the longest time until recently where its nigh-unusable. Oh well!

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Waffnuffly posted:

I like having an actual status bar (which PM restores and I haven't found a way to get back on normal Firefox)

Status-4-Evar

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Oh awesome, thanks for this! Works just like the Pale Moon one (seems to be the same thing but must have been rebranded in PM).

And interestingly enough, after configuring a Portable Firefox install, I'm seeing about the same amount of RAM usage without the performance drawbacks. Hopefully Pale Moon 13+ will have this solved the way Firefox does.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 28, 2012

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

The Milkman posted:

If you remove all the buttons out of it it shouldn't show up.

Nope, not working.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

pipes! posted:

There's an X button on the add-on bar itself. Click it.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

WattsvilleBlues posted:

There's an X button on the add-on bar itself. Click it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but the trouble the close only works until a new window is spawned.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

pipes! posted:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but the trouble the close only works until a new window is spawned.

That's not how it works for me? I make sure there's no addon buttons in the bar, and then close it and it stays gone, until a new addon tries to put itself in the addon bar.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

pipes! posted:

You might want to go through each of your extensions' preferences and have a look to see if it's specified that it wants an icon in the add-on bar. Also, if go into the Customise Toolbar options, try dragging the offending extension icons off the add-ons bar into the Customise Toolbar box.

These are just suggestions - I don't have the problem you're describing.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

pipes! posted:

Try deleting localStore.rdf in your profile folder? Sometimes that file gets corrupted and it becomes impossible to customize things in Firefox. (Note that this will reset all your customizations, window positions, etc.)

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You might want to go through each of your extensions' preferences and have a look to see if it's specified that it wants an icon in the add-on bar. Also, if go into the Customise Toolbar options, try dragging the offending extension icons off the add-ons bar into the Customise Toolbar box.

These are just suggestions - I don't have the problem you're describing.

I've tried all this, and no combination seems to work. The Add-on bar is really a poo poo UI choice, since there's no standardization with preferences to allow/disallow an icon to appear in it, and keeping my Extention's functionality is non-negotiable.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Try deleting localStore.rdf in your profile folder? Sometimes that file gets corrupted and it becomes impossible to customize things in Firefox. (Note that this will reset all your customizations, window positions, etc.)

Tried this, and still nothing. And it somehow managed clear all my custom AdBlock filters, so there's a plus. Normally I'd chalk this up to being a fluke, but this has happened multiple times on multiple machines. I just wish I could permaban it through editing the userChrome.css or something, since I literally never use the bar.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Does un-ticking the add-on bar do the same thing as closing all the add-ons in the bar, i.e. does it automatically reappear?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Pipes: do you want to have NO bar down there at all, or would you be OK with a permanent status bar like what used to be in Firefox before they removed it in favor of the hovering link things?

If the latter and you run Windows, try using Pale Moon. It restores the status bar natively, i.e. not via an extension that sits in the addon bar, and pretty much removes the addon bar entirely in place of the status bar, which you can disable (although the hovering link things don't get switched on if you disable it, from what I can tell).

You can copy your profile over to it after install. It's the same thing as Firefox but rebranded since it was compiled to make use of Windows-specific performance tweaks. It works pretty well on my desktop (it was just my flash drive that had poo poo performance, and really, even vanilla FF has poo poo performance on a flash drive).

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Waffnuffly posted:

If the latter and you run Windows, try using Pale Moon. It restores the status bar natively, i.e. not via an extension that sits in the addon bar, and pretty much removes the addon bar entirely in place of the status bar, which you can disable (although the hovering link things don't get switched on if you disable it, from what I can tell).

No, it doesn't. He's simply included the Status-4-evar extension in the Firefox folder directly, it behaves exactly the same way. Not every extension sits in the addon bar, and I'm pretty sure Status-4-evar does not (although I don't use it myself).

However, I'm pretty confident pipes! wants the whole addon bar gone, without the status bar. I wish I could help you out, as I've always had both turned off with no problems. Sounds like you've tried way more things than I ever went through, so I'm afraid I can't be much help.

E: http://www.palemoon.org/layout-differences.shtml

Pale Moon posted:

Pale Moon 4 (and later), after posting a survey and getting feedback from the users, has chosen not to put the status bar as such in the core code of the browser like previous versions of Firefox, to prevent incompatibilities with Firefox extensions and avoiding unnecessary bugs by leaving the elements in the browser core untouched. Instead, the functionality is provided as a bundled, and fully configurable, add-on. This has been done mostly for technical reasons once the wish to retain a status bar was heard loud and clear from the users.
This bundled status bar add-on allows for proper grouping of status information in a fixed UI element, in the expected locations. It also includes status information that is missing from a stock Firefox browser.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Ah yeah, I was aware it was basically the same thing, but got confused since it was renamed "PaleMoon Status Bar" in PM, and there is no option to toggle the Addon Bar anymore. I figured that part was rewritten. Guess not!

And yeah if the Addon Bar keeps coming back... not sure what the hell could keep causing that.