Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The final two minutes with the Commander too is just horribly depressing.

Just picturing him sitting there staring at all his old seventies and eighties pictures and Soviet era awards waiting to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

yeah, reminded me a bit of the Carrier docu, where that one kid comes home to finally figure out that his pregnant gf has pretty much moved on.

that poo poo is pretty common in the services. When I was deployed overseas I knew a few people who got dear John letters. The worst was the dudes who had their checks start bouncing and called home to find out the account was closed and the number was disconnected at home.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
That sub doc was very interesting. Are there any other good docs on Soviet era stuff?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

mod sassinator posted:

That sub doc was very interesting. Are there any other good docs on Soviet era stuff?
There's The Lost World of Communism which looks at private life in East Germany, Czechoslovakia and Romania.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

What does the Russian woman say at 49m15?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I got to say Lemmy is probably my favorite documentary because I love Motorhead and it is interesting to see how that man ticks and lives. I mean the guy should have died years ago via either an STD, Alcohol poisoning/liver failure, lung cancer, or drug overdose.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I'm really into documentaries about gangs right now and I think I have seen most of the good ones about the 80's-now. Are there any good documentaries about gangs between the 40's and 80's?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

A very interesting documentary about UFOs, I know what I saw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIeGeE0uDJg

Now, I'm not really into the whole UFO thing, but this documentary gathers the statements of reliable witnesses (which doesn't necessarily mean they're not full of poo poo) including government officials from all over the world.
It's a nice change from rednecks who saw UFOs after drinking and hunting.

It's pretty good as far as UFO documentaries go. A lot of them are nothing better than youtube level new age bullshit.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
In 2007, ITV launched a documentary series called "Only Human" that explores the lives of people with disabilities.

The episode "Can't Stop Eating" is a memorable one. It's about sufferers of Prader-Willi Syndrome, a genetic disorder that inflicts its sufferers with emotional immaturity and insatiable appetites. He falls madly in love with a girl whom he hasn't even met yet, buys an engagement ring, and thinks of having a baby. Whirlwind romances and breakups are apparently very common with these sorts of people.

The whole episode is up on Youtube:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4 (this part contains the hilarious whirlwind romance
Part 5

Another great episode is "The Strangest Village in Britain", which is about a village where half of the residents have learning difficulties (Down Syndrome, autism, etc). There's this old woman who keeps snapping viciously at anyone who annoys here or shirks work, and then at home she whines that she has no social life because everybody hates her. It's fun to watch retards struggle with each other for power. But the best character is this old black guy who keeps making up poo poo about his past because he's paranoid and thinks that this will protect him.

The Strangest Village in Britain

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 4, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Can't Stop Eating is a classic.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
That eating stuff is sad. Both because I'm sure they have legitimate problems, and I'm not flawless in myself when it come to societal norms. But also because I've worked with the profoundly mentally retarded and while I never minded their needs, I don't know that I could honestly face a person like that. The people I worked with were helpless, but outside of not wanting to do anything and eating a ton, these people seem relatively 'okay'.

E: This isn't saying they are gaming the system or horrible people, it's more pointing out my own shortcoming RE: patience. The people that work with these folks must be saints.

pr0p fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 1, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
These people aren't "okay". Joe is profoundly disabled, unable to live responsibly or get along with people or handle relationships. These guys will have to be cared for for their entire lives. The diets and reward schemes they go through are not so much to rehabilitate them but to simply keep them from killing themselves.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
What is the name of that BBC special they ran a few years back about human pregnancy? It was really informative and visual, but I can't seem to find it on my own.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
I just finished watching Awful Normal, which is available on Netflix instant.

"Celesta and Karen Davis grew up in a loving family. They shared many wonderful childhood moments and, at the time, thought it all was normal. But when Karen and Celesta were molested in 1978, little was being done about sexual abuse. Their parents' lack of action was neither questioned nor challenged, including years of continued social contact with the perpetrator, his wife and their two young children. This made for some not-so-normal memories. Twenty-five years later, feeling unresolved, they begin their quest to find the man who took advantage of their innocence and to ask him something that has haunted them for almost their entire life: "Why?" Director Davis takes one of the most personal journeys to tell her and her family's remarkable story, exploring the inner depths of a woman's psyche, which has been harmed, but refuses to be broken. A testament to the fragility and strength of the human spirit, "Awful Normal" explores the ripple effect of a single action across generations and families and puts these women literally face to face with their demons."

This documentary broke my heart and made me cry - but it also made me smile and gave me hope. There is a lot of emotion in this film, but I think it's done very well and I enjoyed it, even though it was difficult to watch.

EDIT: For those without Netflix access, the film is also available on this website, but you have to put up with NWS ads. http://veeneo.com/watch/2286114

Budget Bears fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 2, 2012

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Make Believe on netflix instant: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Make_Believe/70140543?trkid=7728649

It follows 6 kids entering into the Teen World Championships of Magic. Magic is their entire lives and they are better at it than I could ever hope to be at anything.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

McBeth posted:

Make Believe on netflix instant: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Make_Believe/70140543?trkid=7728649

It follows 6 kids entering into the Teen World Championships of Magic. Magic is their entire lives and they are better at it than I could ever hope to be at anything.

I swear I read this as the Magic the card game for lame-os and clicked on it anyway. And was pleasantly surprised. Alakazam!

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Knuckle: Bare Fist Fighting.

"Documentary which goes inside the secretive Traveller world - a world of long and bitter memories. Filmed over twelve years, the film chronicles a history of violent feuding between rival families, using remarkable access to document the bare-fist fights between the Quinn McDonaghs and the Joyce clans, who, though cousins, have clashed for generations. Vivid, violent and funny, the film explores the need for revenge and the pressure to fight for the honour of your family name. "

I found this absolutely fascinating. Only available until Sunday and it's on iPlayer sadly. As bad of a reputation as travellers have across England, their sense of fairness in something as brutal as a bare knuckle fight is almost admirable.

Duration: 1hr 29.

Balancing Monsters
Sep 3, 2011

mikewozere posted:

Knuckle: Bare Fist Fighting.

I found this absolutely fascinating. Only available until Sunday and it's on iPlayer sadly.

This is also streaming on Netflix, for those where that applies.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I just watched as many Chernobyl films as I could.

The Battle of Chernobyl - By far the best one. Recently done in a changing political landscape, it deals with the events immediately after the explosion, not the explosion itself (which is very technically complicated), and the race to prevent a second explosion that probably would have destroyed Europe. Interviews with all the surviving top generals, witnesses, and Gorbachev and Hans Blix talking openly about the politics of it. Also discussion of the health of survivors and children born to survivors.

Chernobyl Heart - Couldn't make it through this one, which is famous. Tons and tons of footage of deformed and mutated babies born since Chernobyl and teenagers with thyroid cancer, which is rampant in all of Belarus and the Ukraine. NWS, seriously.

Inside the Sarcophagus - My second favorite. Filmed in the 90's, deals with a small team who were in charge of going deep into the destroyed reactor to check how the sarcophagus is holding up (not well) and where the nuclear fuel went (underground). The BBC went back five years later, and by then, most of the team was dead, surprisingly from heart failure and not radiation poisoning.

Seconds From Disaster: Meltdown at Chernobyl - Nat Geo does a flashy special with lots of zooms in to computer generated models with high-intensity music. That said, the explanation of how the disaster actually happened is extensive. The special puts the blame across all of the different workers not in contact with each other.

Discovery Channel: Disaster at Chernobyl - relying heavily on silly Russian reenactment, Discovery also tries to tell the highly complex story of the actual explosion, this time putting the blame on a combination of the head of the safety test and the technical flaws pre-existing in the plant, the most traditional guilt theory.

Inside Chernobyl - Amateur film by someone who visited Chernobyl. Actually pretty good, but there is a lot of panning over beautiful scenery to ambient music.

Chernobyl — 25 years later - A film about some Russian youths trying to comprehend the disaster. Discusses a lot of current issues, like the safety of the sarcophagus and its proposed replacement, and the Ukrainian government's astonishing plan to build 22 new power plants and sell the power to the rest of Europe. The only film I saw dealing with current energy politics in the former Soviet Union.

Nuclear Aftershocks - Frontline's discussion of nuclear power via the Fukishima disaster, so not strictly about Chernobyl, but it's mentioned frequently. Obviously, comes down pretty hard against nuclear energy in general but points out we have no alternative and are unlikely to develop one.

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 30, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

dj_clawson posted:

I just watched as many Chernobyl films as I could.

The Battle of Chernobyl - By far the best one. Recently done in a changing political landscape, it deals with the events immediately after the explosion, not the explosion itself (which is very technically complicated), and the race to prevent a second explosion that probably would have destroyed Europe. Interviews with all the surviving top generals, witnesses, and Gorbachev and Hans Blix talking openly about the politics of it. Also discussion of the health of survivors and children born to survivors.

Chernobyl Heart - Couldn't make it through this one, which is famous. Tons and tons of footage of deformed and mutated babies born since Chernobyl and teenagers with thyroid cancer, which is rampant in all of Belarus and the Ukraine. NWS, seriously.

Inside the Sarcophagus - My second favorite. Filmed in the 90's, deals with a small team who were in charge of going deep into the destroyed reactor to check how the sarcophagus is holding up (not well) and where the nuclear fuel went (underground). The BBC went back five years later, and by then, most of the team was dead, surprisingly from heart failure and not radiation poisoning.

Seconds From Disaster: Meltdown at Chernobyl - Nat Geo does a flashy special with lots of zooms in to computer generated models with high-intensity music. That said, the explanation of how the disaster actually happened is extensive. The special puts the blame across all of the different workers not in contact with each other.

Discovery Channel: Disaster at Chernobyl - relying heavily on silly Russian reenactment, Discovery also tries to tell the highly complex story of the actual explosion, this time putting the blame on a combination of the head of the safety test and the technical flaws pre-existing in the plant, the most traditional guilt theory.

Inside Chernobyl - Amateur film by someone who visited Chernobyl. Actually pretty good, but there is a lot of panning over beautiful scenery to ambient music.

Chernobyl — 25 years later - A film about some Russian youths trying to comprehend the disaster. Discusses a lot of current issues, like the safety of the sarcophagus and its proposed replacement, and the Ukrainian government's astonishing plan to build 22 new power plants and sell the power to the rest of Europe. The only film I saw dealing with current energy politics in the former Soviet Union.

Nuclear Aftershocks - Frontline's discussion of nuclear power via the Fukishima disaster, so not strictly about Chernobyl, but it's mentioned frequently. Obviously, comes down pretty hard against nuclear energy in general but points out we have no alternative and are unlikely to develop one.

Nice summaries! I agree Battle of Chernobyl is great--I especially liked the interviews with Gorbachev and how open he was about the incident. I can't believe they were ready to dig under the reactor and fill it with liquid nitrogen to try cooling it down so it wouldn't melt further into the ground.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

mod sassinator posted:

Nice summaries! I agree Battle of Chernobyl is great--I especially liked the interviews with Gorbachev and how open he was about the incident. I can't believe they were ready to dig under the reactor and fill it with liquid nitrogen to try cooling it down so it wouldn't melt further into the ground.

Some the material in documentaries prior to this one (and the fall of the Soviet Union) blame Gorbachev for covering it up in the beginning, when in fact he probably isn't lying here when he says, "Nobody gave me any information. They said it was a small fire and it was out." Which sounds like the Soviet chain of command.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qilWFyiogvA

This is a film from ESPN'S 30 for 30 project. For ESPN'S 30th birthday, ESPN approached 30 directors to make a sports documentary about the subject of their choice, as long as it was a sports story from the last 30 years. This film is about NFL player Ricky Williams, a very talented but mercurial player who was suspended several times for drug abuse (specifically pot), which he was using partly to treat his social anxiety (which was so bad he would regularly do interviews with his helmet and face visor still on in the locker room). The film covers his sudden departure from the league, his adversarial relationship with the modern idea of being an athlete, his withdrawal from fatherhood, his difficulty staying faithful to his wife, his interets in yoga, and what many saw as his redemption. This is his story.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You could probably include every single 30 For 30 episode. I've seen maybe half of them and not one of them was boring, bad or pointless.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Absolutely, but this one and Once Brothers are my faves.

zekezero
Apr 8, 2004

Just watched "Life with Murder." It's on netflix instant. It's about a family whose 18 year old daughter is brutally murdered in their home and the person convicted of her death... their twenty year old son.

It follows them ten years later as they visit him in prison and the truth slowly comes out.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So I'm happily going to be spending a vacation at yellowstone. Does anyone have a good list of some documentaries covering the area? nature, wildlife, events, etc.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So I'm happily going to be spending a vacation at yellowstone. Does anyone have a good list of some documentaries covering the area? nature, wildlife, events, etc.

Ken Burn's National Parks documentary is a must watch! Seriously drop everything and go get it right now. After watching you will be super psyched about visiting Yellowstone and all the other parks.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

notwithoutmyanus posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_(BBC_TV_series)

Pretty incredible if you can find a copy, don't watch the Americanized version

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

notwithoutmyanus posted:

The BBC made a really interestin programme about Yellowstone as part of its Unnatural Histories series. It looks at how the Victorian ideals led to the creation of the parks and how the park itself was shaped by man over the years.

http://www.favupload.com/video/4412/

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I just finished the People's Cartoonist and have absolutely no idea why anyone suggested that it should be watched by anyone ever. I mean the whole anime nerd drawing himself into a cartoon sexy power fantasy while filming the process for an entire year in some weird ego trip sounds like it could be interesting... Really he is just an annoying idiot who deliberately cut the thing to make himself seem quirky.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
Can anyone recommend anything on the lifestyles of professional athletes?

Id like to see the extremes of the training, diet and general lifestyle they are forced to go through to be the best

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have zero interest in sports, or in holy worshipped athletes, but these 30 in 30 ESPN docus are keeping my attention. Not bad stuff.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii

Skam posted:

Can anyone recommend anything on the lifestyles of professional athletes?

Id like to see the extremes of the training, diet and general lifestyle they are forced to go through to be the best

There was a pretty awesome documentary about British cyclist Victoria Pendleton before the olympics that might be worth tracking down. It's not on iPlayer anymore though.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

mikewozere posted:

There was a pretty awesome documentary about British cyclist Victoria Pendleton before the olympics that might be worth tracking down. It's not on iPlayer anymore though.

Looking for that was actually what prompted me to ask the question

Can't find it anywhere though

Ill check out some of the 30 for 30 episodes

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

zekezero posted:

Just watched "Life with Murder." It's on netflix instant. It's about a family whose 18 year old daughter is brutally murdered in their home and the person convicted of her death... their twenty year old son.

It follows them ten years later as they visit him in prison and the truth slowly comes out.

I just watched this and I really cannot understand what the gently caress his parents are thinking. Truth be told it was maddening to watch them coo and pander to all his bullshit because 'that's what families do'. gently caress :psyduck:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I don't think it's one of those things you can understand unless you've been through it. Like they said, they've got one kid that's still alive, and it clearly pains them, but they're sticking with that one kid. I'm not saying everyone would ever do this or even whether I'd be able to do it, but this is not mind-boggling and irrational behavior.

But yes, two things: 1) dude makes me sick. He was demented and should never, ever see the outside of prison walls. Teach him a skill and have him make stuff for society at super cheap prices, sure, but never let him outside a prison. 2) His parents were definitely in denial for a long time and believed what they needed/wanted to believe.

Orealo
Apr 9, 2012

Priorities
1. food
11. the hell is in that bag anyways?
15. making my life easier

homercles posted:

What does the Russian woman say at 49m15?

Woman: "I don't want you to film inside, I don't agree.

The fair has gone, so you can leave. (to man:) and you've left the ship at 9. (to camera:) And you camerapeople, don't intrude our private life."

Man: "I've come straight home from the ship."
Woman: "That isn't true. (to camera:) Get out! (to man:) and you can leave aswell."

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Just Melvin, Just Evil

"Just Melvin, Just Evil is the most disturbing documentary you’ll ever see. It is a very hard to find documentary about the tormented family of Melvin Just, a man almost too evil to be believed.

In it, they detail their experiences of abuse over decades, at his hands, even admitting to knowing of a murder he committed to keep his crimes quiet.

Four generations of sexual abuse, substance abuse, terrible secrets, neglect, and violence are explored in Just Melvin, Just Evil. In a large American family ravaged by alcohol and suppressed trauma, it seems that only one member “made it out.”

This man is James Ronald Whitney, who was brave enough to use this documentary as an outlet to explore his family’s history, searching for answers (and closure) to the horror suffered by himself and his relatives."

I sure thought it would end differently. But this whole film is a find bending turn after mind bending turn. Sick poo poo.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/just-melvin-just-evil/

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

WouldDesk posted:

Just Melvin, Just Evil

"Just Melvin, Just Evil is the most disturbing documentary you’ll ever see. It is a very hard to find documentary about the tormented family of Melvin Just, a man almost too evil to be believed.

In it, they detail their experiences of abuse over decades, at his hands, even admitting to knowing of a murder he committed to keep his crimes quiet.

Four generations of sexual abuse, substance abuse, terrible secrets, neglect, and violence are explored in Just Melvin, Just Evil. In a large American family ravaged by alcohol and suppressed trauma, it seems that only one member “made it out.”

This man is James Ronald Whitney, who was brave enough to use this documentary as an outlet to explore his family’s history, searching for answers (and closure) to the horror suffered by himself and his relatives."

I sure thought it would end differently. But this whole film is a find bending turn after mind bending turn. Sick poo poo.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/just-melvin-just-evil/

Holy poo poo. This was like... Faulknerian. Absolutely horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

WouldDesk posted:

Just Melvin, Just Evil
Thanks (I think), I'm watching this now.

Anyone seen "Saleman" or "Grey Gardens"? They both sound interesting, although by just watching the 'trailer' for Grey Gardens, I'm kind of confused on what's it about. Seems touching though