Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

xamphear posted:

It's probably along the lines of how we wanted to see those My Neighbor Seinfeld episodes re-re-translated back into English and subtitled. The fact that it's of really poor quality will make it even funnier.

It's also like that Monty Python and the Holy Grail extra where they took the Japanese dub and subtitled a few scenes to highlight how crazy it had become. Now, they were looking for a sacred sake cup.

If the subtitles are to be believed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So of the games that Arino's challenged, which ones do you think are (a) pretty hard to complete (so not, say, Kirby's Adventure or Mario 64) and (b) pretty fun to play nonetheless?

2l2q
Sep 5, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

So of the games that Arino's challenged, which ones do you think are (a) pretty hard to complete (so not, say, Kirby's Adventure or Mario 64) and (b) pretty fun to play nonetheless?

Ninja Gaiden 2 for sure, it kicks your rear end but it's fair and once you master the enemy patterns you will always know what to do. NG1 isn't bad but it becomes very unfair (possibly exploiting glitches for increased difficulty) in the later levels.

I'm sure there are a lot of others, but speaking only from experience, Contra, Sonic the Hedgehog (not extremely difficult but very fun), and Umihara Kawase (very fun, if you haven't seen that episode you should watch it).

Battletoads. :frogc00l:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hey. Something I've been wondering about the translations.
Why is Arino's text always contracting _ing words into _in'?
Is there something natively unique in his accent it's trying to get through or is it put on to quirk up and distinguish his character text-wise?

Hirayuki posted:

That's a way of portraying his Kansai (western Japan) accent.

Cool. I was just wondering if it was tacked on or justified. Sounds good.

edit: Maybe it's just the last few eps I watched, but there seems to be a trend to translating things from games with established english versions rather than being more literal.
In Wrecking Crew the antagonist was clearly being called Blackie by the announcer, yet we got text calling him 'Foreman Spike'.
I noticed the same sort of thing with most of the bosses in Rainbow Islands.
Pedantic, but I don't think it's necessary. Maybe just put "Blackie (Foreman Spike in english release)' on the first mention then keep on with the japanese name.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 27, 2012

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hey. Something I've been wondering about the translations.
Why is Arino's text always contracting _ing words into _in'?
Is there something comparable in his accent it's trying to get through or is it put on to quirk up and distinguish his character text-wise?
That's a way of portraying his pronounced (no pun intended) Kansai (western Japan) accent/dialect.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe it's just the last few eps I watched, but there seems to be a trend to translating things from games with established english versions, rather than being more literal.
In Wrecking Crew the antagonist was clearly being called Blackie by the announcer, yet we got text calling him 'Foreman Spike'.
Pedantic, but I don't think it's necessary. Maybe just put "Blackie (Foreman Spike in english release)' on the first mention then keep on with the japanese name.

This is in the FAQ in the OP:

The OP posted:

One of our big goals in the translations is accessibility. We want anyone to be able to pick up an episode and watch with no assumptions that they know anything about Japan or Japanese gaming. We generally stick to the official US localization of things in games because someone looking up an episode for the sake of nostalgia will be familiar with that. We translated the term because a lengthy explanation while someone is watching a show is more intrusive than translating it.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

So where's the rest of this so-called 'deluge'? :colbert: "It has only just begun', said Random Stranger. Because he tells cruel lies.

It's been a crap week and I'm watching older episodes for my Arino therapy. :(

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit: Maybe it's just the last few eps I watched, but there seems to be a trend to translating things from games with established english versions rather than being more literal.

The big question you have to ask yourself is "what's being lost?" 99% of the time, nothing is changed since it's basically an A for B type deal. And frankly, after 25 years with the American names, those are a lot more natural to me than the Japanese name, especially for the sake of "accuracy" or "literalism." There's the occasional game where yeah, you have to use the Japanese name just because it bears no resemblance to the American game, like Masked Ninja Hanamaru (which is the Japanese original of Yo! Noid). And keep in mind, for the most part, the average person will have no idea what the narrator is saying, so why worry if there is that discrepancy (I didn't hear the narrator saying "Blackie" for instance).

And in the case of Wrecking Crew, I can understand why you might not want to use the name "Blackie."

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

I'll add Quest of Ki and Mr. Gimmick.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Here's another one for the music used in the show. For the Capcom episode in Season 01, here's the song that plays over the narration about Capcom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc2hq3vbO7w

Yes. It is an choral and orchestral version of "World" by the Bee Gees. It's actually kind of funny when you think about how depressing the song is.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

Speaking from personal experience, Street Fighter 2010.

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

53 stations of the tokaido!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Funnily enough I heard Blacky but I thought, "Y'know, this is for the best. The Foreman Spike we got here is probably a lot more palatable for western audiences, too." I've heard a bunch of other discrepancies throughout the episodes but even when it's looking me right in the face, the stuff we got in the TV Nihon fansubs is really jarring when I know a game has a different title or a character has a different name in the west but I only see this weird phoneticization of the Japanese in front of me.

But congrats on being true to your username, that sounds just like something a teenage fansub group would scream from the rooftops.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

The White Dragon posted:

But congrats on being true to your username, that sounds just like something a teenage fansub group would scream from the rooftops.

I agree; this is exactly why I vastly prefer zari-gani's subs over TV-Nihon's 'OMG, I KNOWZ JAPANESE, LOL' stuff. The point of localization is not to provide literal translations, it's to make it intelligible and familiar to those who have zero knowledge of the original's language. That's what professional subtitles do; they sacrifice accuracy for the sake of being easily understandable to the target audience. Literal translation subtitles are only useful if you're trying to learn the language; since the point of watching GCCX is not to learn Japanese, but to enjoy it for entertainment's sake, I don't want some stupid 'translator's notes' and an infantile insistence on the 'original' name when there's a perfectly suitable English name that people who have played the game in Western countries would know.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I don't see why a character named Blackie would be objectionable to western audiences, but name changes are subjective either way. It's just a choice and either way could work.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
I mean, who doesn't know what St II is, right? Right?

On a more serious note, just watched the Fukuoka episode and all it did was make me nostalgic and hungry. :(

Also, two new songs for your music playlist!

Both the songs used in the Game & Watch segments are from Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame: "The Bells of Notre Dame" is the first, "Topsy Turvy" the second.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bocc Kob posted:

I don't see why a character named Blackie would be objectionable to western audiences, but name changes are subjective either way. It's just a choice and either way could work.

It'd be like having a guy named Kraut in your game. It kind of has racist connotations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

PkerUNO posted:

I mean, who doesn't know what St II is, right? Right?

Oh, is that for the SuFami? Where I can play Rockman X?

It's a shame that they were the ones that did the Season 1 Super Mario challenges translation. That really highlights how stupid their policy was. I mean, that episode was awesome, especially when that kid schooled Arino is Super Mario Brothers 2... I mean, Doki Doki Panic, but it's hard to follow when you hear things like "nononoko."

pnumoman posted:

That's what professional subtitles do; they sacrifice accuracy for the sake of being easily understandable to the target audience.

I would argue that you are not sacrificing accuracy. And frankly, especially when you are talking about languages that are incredibly different, like English and Japanese, there's no way to make a 100% accurate translation that is readable. Translation is an art, not a science.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 27, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

It'd be like having a guy named Kraut in your game. It kind of has racist connotations.

No it's not, at all. It's a real surname or first name. Usually for light-skinned dudes. Like the one in the game. :argh:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

But Doki Doki Panic and Super Mario Bros 2 aren't the same game in Japan...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Corridor posted:

So where's the rest of this so-called 'deluge'? :colbert: "It has only just begun', said Random Stranger. Because he tells cruel lies.

It's been a crap week and I'm watching older episodes for my Arino therapy. :(

It's not an entire lie. We had one more episode after that.

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's a shame that they were the ones that did the Season 1 Super Mario challenges translation. That really highlights how stupid their policy was. I mean, that episode was awesome, especially when that kid schooled Arino is Super Mario Brothers 2... I mean, Doki Doki Panic, but it's hard to follow when you hear things like "nononoko."

Actually when we get to episode 15 we're probably going to use Doki Doki Panic as the title. It doesn't make sense to call it Super Mario 2 when Mario isn't in the game.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

It's not an entire lie. We had one more episode after that.

Actually when we get to episode 15 we're probably going to use Doki Doki Panic as the title. It doesn't make sense to call it Super Mario 2 when Mario isn't in the game.

He was referring to episode 10 and 11 featuring the game known as Super Mario Bros 2 in Japan and Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels elsewhere. If he was going to criticize TVN for their crappy work he should have used a mistake they actually made instead of making one up.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

He was referring to episode 10 and 11 featuring the game known as Super Mario Bros 2 in Japan and Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels elsewhere. If he was going to criticize TVN for their crappy work he should have used a mistake they actually made instead of making one up.

Just so you know, that was actually a joke. It was meant to illustrate how little some people know when they try to pass as experts. I guess I should leave the comedy up to Arino.

Random Stranger posted:

That seems like the best solution. It's like Street Fighter 1010 (or St 2010?) or Masked Ninja Hanamaru, since you can't really ignore that the games are so completely different that it would just be easier to gloss it and hope for the best.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 28, 2012

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

pnumoman posted:

I agree; this is exactly why I vastly prefer zari-gani's subs over TV-Nihon's 'OMG, I KNOWZ JAPANESE, LOL' stuff. The point of localization is not to provide literal translations, it's to make it intelligible and familiar to those who have zero knowledge of the original's language. That's what professional subtitles do; they sacrifice accuracy for the sake of being easily understandable to the target audience. Literal translation subtitles are only useful if you're trying to learn the language; since the point of watching GCCX is not to learn Japanese, but to enjoy it for entertainment's sake, I don't want some stupid 'translator's notes' and an infantile insistence on the 'original' name when there's a perfectly suitable English name that people who have played the game in Western countries would know.

Yes, but they're alienating the people who HAVEN'T played those games; which, for some of the rarer titles, can be most of the audience. I doubt anyone would argue with translating the Mario stuff because that's something everyone knows (and most of the names sound like garbled nonsense to an English speaker), but when there's perfectly serviceable English names there seems to be less of a reason to change them.

Incidentally, has the dialogue in a game ever been changed to match that of its English equivalent, or do you always use the Japanese dialogue?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

FredMSloniker posted:

Prince of Persia is pretty tough in terms of controls, but very fun and satisfying when you pull off some of the tougher platforming sections.

Also, even though it was one of the 3DS mini-challenges, Xevious is very hard and fun (although the 3D Classics version he played is easier since you can more quickly determine ground targets from air targets if you play it in 3D).

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

joek0 posted:

I posted it earlier but no one responded. Can someone translate the hint for the next episode(#143).

The hint is about Morioka. Episode #143 is going to have a segment done in the city of Morioka. The episode is focused on Pilotwings. Google translate is not working for me. It seems to be a documentary summary episode of the Pilotwings Live special. Please verify for me. Hope this gets subbed soon if it is like the lemmings documentary episode.

7/5/2012
Episode #143
Pilotwings Special

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hirayuki posted:

That's a way of portraying his pronounced (no pun intended) Kansai (western Japan) accent/dialect.

Eh? I thought it was more about easily representing formal vs informal speech. Isn't Japanese big into that?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
It's both. He speaks informally in a Kansai dialect, making it super informal because even politely spoken Kansai is considered rather informal-sounding. When he speaks to higher-ups and conducts interviews and such he speaks formally and tones down his dialect by a lot.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 28, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
It's a travesty, Kansai-ben is the best dialect. :mad:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I have a couple of questions about the Wrecking Crew episode. Firstly do Eggplants play some sort of role in Japanese folklore or is their role as enemies in games just a Nintendo thing?

Also, during the summary of all of Arino's results it says that he had one draw. What challenge was that?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Mister Chief posted:

Also, during the summary of all of Arino's results it says that he had one draw. What challenge was that?

Umihara Kawase.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Mister Chief posted:

Firstly do Eggplants play some sort of role in Japanese folklore or is their role as enemies in games just a Nintendo thing?
The only reference to eggplants in Japanese culture I found was that it is a part of a Hatsuyume, which is the first dream someone has in the New Year. Apparently, if you dream of Mt. Fuji, a hawk, and an eggplant, it will bring you good luck for the rest of the year.

My theory is that it's an inside joke within the walls of Nintendo in the 80s. I'm betting one of the higher-ups back then probably hated eggplant and they decided to reference it by making eggplants as enemies.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Obeast posted:

My theory is that it's an inside joke within the walls of Nintendo in the 80s. I'm betting one of the higher-ups back then probably hated eggplant and they decided to reference it by making eggplants as enemies.

IIRC it was Yoshio Sakamoto who hated eggplant enough that it became an in company joke. You'll note that he worked on both Wrecking Crew and Kid Icarus.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's the closest thing I can find to an answer about the eggplant thing, from this interview with Toru Osawa (the Kid Icarus creator), Sakamoto, Hiroji Kiyotake (Samus/Wario designer) and Kenji Yamamoto (composer of various Metroid games, Punch-Out, Famicom Wars, etc):

quote:

Regarding that, it doesn't seem like a Nintendo game, as there is a little bit of "black essence".

Osawa: Sakamoto and myself put something together, or we when patch up a game, when it came out, it has relatively dark humor. For example, we also made the game For the Frog the Bell Tolls (1992) together, and the senses of Sakamoto and myself happen to coincide, so I think it seems dark humor comes out easily. Kid Icarus, however, uses an eggplant; there is this guy who throws eggplants. I thought about him at just the right time! (Laughs)

All: (Laughs)

Osawa: Kid Icarus was developed in the winter bonus season, and I thought about this character at the time when the summer bonus came out. When I thought, "The bonus is coming out very soon--!" I made a rod that uses eggplants to hit you with eggplants, so bonus! (Laughs)

Everyone: (Laughs heartily)

Osawa: However, because that alone didn't make any sense, it places a curse, and throws it with a flash when that enemy hits you. So that was why the protagonist turns into an eggplant. However, because there was no storage to put in a character turned into an eggplant, I attached the eggplant on top, and attached the legs to this, and what I did was absurd.

Sakamoto: Those days, in one part of the development staff, everyone was strange! (Laughs) These were people who honestly said, "If we made a wizard, and it would also use eggplants, that wouldn't be weird?" And these people would mysteriously agree, "Yeah. That's not strange!" (Laughs)

All: (Laughs)

Sakamoto: They'd say, "Using eggplants isn't strange at all. Well, shall we put it in?"

Osawa: Before that, didn't Mr. Sakamoto make Wrecking Crew? At that time, there was an eggplant mask, called Eggplant Man. Because I liked it, although I didn't know it, I had a passion for eggplants! (Laughs) Well, I said, "Icarus should have this," and I drew a guy who uses eggplants.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Random Stranger posted:

IIRC it was Yoshio Sakamoto who hated eggplant enough that it became an in company joke. You'll note that he worked on both Wrecking Crew and Kid Icarus.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that Takahashi Meijin (a.k.a Master Higgins, 16-shot) hates eggplants, and that found its way into Adventure Island as a power-down item. Different company, I know, but eggplants seem to be this strange recurring thing in NES-era games.

Maybe just tons of dudes don't like eggplants. v:shobon:v

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Interview posted:

When I thought, "The bonus is coming out very soon--!" I made a rod that uses eggplants to hit you with eggplants, so bonus! (Laughs)

Weird how the joke wasn't explained, but bou = stick (or rod in this case) and nasu = eggplant, so bou-nasu, just so people don't think Toru Osawa is insane.

FredMSloniker posted:

Mighty Bomb Jack is surprisingly enjoyable. 53 Stations is fun in the same way QWOP is.

As for the upcoming GCCX episode, it's about the Iwate event that happened recently where Arino tackled Pilotwings again on stage. Kinda like Mighty Bomb Jack Live. The description also says "Furthermore, we finally get to see the ending to an arcade trip staple game...?!" Metal Slug?

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 28, 2012

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Quest of Ki looks really fun, I should try it sometime.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

Weird how the joke wasn't explained, but bou = stick (or rod in this case) and nasu = eggplant, so bou-nasu, just so people don't think Toru Osawa is insane.

Horrible puns is one of the five indicators you may be a serial killer.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Bocc Kob posted:

Horrible puns is one of the five indicators you may be a serial killer.

That's a pretty funny joke, considering most cultures around the world find puns to be a great form of wit and comedy. As far as I know, only the US has this derisive attitude towards puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

e: ^^^ No I'm sorry, but that guy is right. Puns = sociopath.
Also I doubt there's a single country in the world where people don't groan and pull faces when someone makes a pun.

It always interests me to discover that the guys in Japanese game development who do batshit insane things are actually batshit insane. We're like "Wow Japanese are so wacky!" and they're like, "No this guy really was just crazy".