Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Meat Recital posted:

Who has the best wrestling in MMA? I'm thinking Rulon Gardner, he won a gold medal :shobon:

the two best wrestlers ever in mma are karam gaber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59YNXojXe_4

and eldar kurtanidze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2eAGXdRj8A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

david carmichael posted:

the two best wrestlers ever in mma are karam gaber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59YNXojXe_4

and eldar kurtanidze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2eAGXdRj8A

No love for Matt Lindland whilst he's a oval office and apparently stinks he was a silver medalist

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BlindSite posted:

Sorry I thought you'd know when I said 'korean' I was referring to korean arts which are pretty heavily inbred like Hapkido and TKD which Kyokushin borrows from in certain elements.

Then again you think Jones has better Muay Thai than Thiago Alves so.

I know what you meant, but nobody gives a poo poo about your TMA lineages especially after Jones outstruck Machida following 2 years of real training. :mcnabb:

You still haven't explained how a teep to the knee isn't really a Muay Thai technique..

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lost For Words posted:

I guess Cosmo is probably the dude with the best actual muay thai record in mma, but then he lost to some dude on a bellator prelim

The most accomplished Thai boxer to compete in modern MMA is probably Ramba. And while his style is very Thai, it obviously retains the usual holes that a MMA ruleset presents.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Paul Pot posted:

I know what you meant, but nobody gives a poo poo about your TMA lineages especially after Jones outstruck Machida following 2 years of real training. :mcnabb:

You still haven't explained how a teep to the knee isn't really a Muay Thai technique..

I didn't say it wasn't. I said it was more of a thing from korean arts.

You still haven't explained how Jones has better Muay Thai than someone who was colloquially called the Muay Thai wrecking Machine.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ok, how is it less of a muay thai thing?

I can't give a definite answer why jones is better..better coaches? better attitude? more talent? doesn't get outstruck by rick story? idk

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

BlindSite posted:

I didn't say it wasn't. I said it was more of a thing from korean arts.

You still haven't explained how Jones has better Muay Thai than someone who was colloquially called the Muay Thai wrecking Machine.

Korean martial arts are like 60 years old. I'm pretty sure angry little Thai dudes have been front kicking each others knees since the 1800s.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Korean martial arts are like 60 years old. I'm pretty sure angry little Thai dudes have been front kicking each others knees since the 1800s.

화랑 were like 11th century at the latest.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Save Russian Jews posted:

화랑 were like 11th century at the latest.

I don't know Hangul and google says it means gallery but he mentioned TKD and Hapkido so that's what I was going off of. Also, I should have said 70 or 80 years not 60.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 27, 2012

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I don't know Hangul and google says it means gallery but he mentioned TKD and Hapkido so that's what I was going off of. Also, I should have said 70 or 80 years not 60.

I was just pointing out that Korea pretty much underwent a societal/cultural reset in the early 20th century and actually have a pretty rich martial arts history (Hwarang is what you were looking for).

But yeah, the whole argument is pretty dumb because this isn't a UFC video game where certain styles contain certain strikes you can't use without having them as a base. That, and the majority of strikes have origins that are either unknown or in dispute.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I was just pointing out that Korea pretty much underwent a societal/cultural reset in the early 20th century and actually have a pretty rich martial arts history (Hwarang is what you were looking for).

But yeah, the whole argument is pretty dumb because this isn't a UFC video game where certain styles contain certain strikes you can't use without having them as a base. That, and the majority of strikes have origins that are either unknown or in dispute.

Yeah, there are only so many ways you can hit something/hug a man.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah, there are only so many ways you can hit something/hug a man.

Yeah, the classic example of this is Cornish Wrestling.

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

How long until Turkish oil wrestlers dominate the UFC? <insert GSP joke>

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Flying-Chip posted:

How long until Turkish oil wrestlers dominate the UFC? <insert GSP joke>

Shorts-grabbing is against the rules :(. One day, one day MMA will legitimize the long, proud, noble tradition of Turkish wrestling if we all wish hard enough!

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

It's not a real fight unless you have your hands down an oiled man's shorts.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I bet Kongo would loving own at Korean diaper wrestling

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Steve Glutenberg posted:

I bet Kongo would loving own at Korean diaper wrestling

Ssireum owns bones

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_wrestling

UFC needs to adopt their uniforms.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Dennis Hallman tried but Dana wasn't having any of that

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is there an equivalent of WMMA3 for boxing? Or any good Boxing Promoter games at all?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

LordPants posted:

Is there an equivalent of WMMA3 for boxing? Or any good Boxing Promoter games at all?

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/joomla/home-tbcb.html

Its been a really long time since I played it but it was pretty fun as I recall. You kinda have to use your imagination a little bit but the simulation is fun and it keeps records. If i remember you have to put the dates in and can jump around however you want, so all you have to do to have a consistent world is keep going in order.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I generally only lurk the MMA threads because people in those say mean things about GSP and I love GSP and seeing those mean things makes me cross. Why do you guys hate GSP?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
He's boring and doesn't finish guys that he should have no problems with

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I love GSP too, and can even forgive him for the Shields fight because of the eye thing, but not being able to finish Hardy is inexcusable.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Chexoid posted:

I love GSP too, and can even forgive him for the Shields fight because of the eye thing, but not being able to finish Hardy is inexcusable.

Especially since Conduit and Lytle did it in such dramatic fashion.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
He seems like a very nice man though and I don't think we've ever heard anyone in the fight business say a bad thing about him (BJ Penn excluded), so I am just kinda neutral about his fights now, and hope he goes back to doing cool fight things eventually. Maybe we need another Hughes fight.

edit: Forgot about his season of TUF. If you can watch that and come away hating GSP then get in my guard fucker.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 16, 2012

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The biggest thing for me is that he fights rarely, even before this latest injury, so every fight was billed as this tremendous event to see one of the best fighters in the world demonstrate his abilities. He then... doesn't do much.

He's unarguably utterly dominant. And it's not like he isn't active most of the time. I just don't find fights where a guy is way, way better than his opponent that interesting, especially not 25 minutes interesting.

If a fighter is way better than his opponent, I want the fight to finish quickly because otherwise I'm just going to stop paying attention.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I think it'll be easier to be interested in GSP when he finally gets back. When he's coming off a long break/serious injury, there might actually be some questions that a fight could answer. That was not the case during the leadup to his last few fights.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Hwarang are like the Shaolin monks: There are people dressing up in silly costumes claiming to possess their unbroken lineage, but we have no loving idea what they actually practiced and what it looked like. It's actually worse than that, because the brothers who run "Hwa Rang Do" are hapkido teachers who claim they were trained in ancient Hwarang arts by an inscrutable monk.

Basically whenever someone claims that a Korean martial art has ancient roots, they're almost certainly full of poo poo. Taekwondo, kumdo, hapkido, tang soo do, and all of that are Japanese martial arts smothered in kimchi, because the Koreans are sensitive about the fact that the Japanese occupation deliberately destroyed a lot of their traditional culture, including what native Korean styles really did exist.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

The Hwarang are like the Shaolin monks: There are people dressing up in silly costumes claiming to possess their unbroken lineage, but we have no loving idea what they actually practiced and what it looked like. It's actually worse than that, because the brothers who run "Hwa Rang Do" are hapkido teachers who claim they were trained in ancient Hwarang arts by an inscrutable monk.

Basically whenever someone claims that a Korean martial art has ancient roots, they're almost certainly full of poo poo. Taekwondo, kumdo, hapkido, tang soo do, and all of that are Japanese martial arts smothered in kimchi, because the Koreans are sensitive about the fact that the Japanese occupation deliberately destroyed a lot of their traditional culture, including what native Korean styles really did exist.

I dispute none of this.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Most Korean arts (sans TKD) in a lot of cases developed because of that occupation and earlier because Korea was a pretty natural port for anyone travelling through Asia.

There's plenty of stories of the early "Hapkido" type systems off stuff like Daito ryu Aikijutsu (who's students founded Akido, Hapkido and Shorinji Kempo) and other flavours who used training areas around other schools all but directly from Japan like Judo and earlier forms of Karate who got their asses handed to them so they cross trained in strikes and came up with different forms and techniques to be used as counters.

Hell Mas Oyama the founder of Kyokushin wasn't actually Japanese and he trained under Yoshida Kotaro a student of Takeda Sogaku (Akijutso dude). I don't know much about other korean arts but the short stick techniques in Hapkido were taken from Steel fan techniques, and the long stick techniques were taken from sword masters who weren't allowed to carry their swords any more most of which stem from the teachings of Takeda.

The reason why no one knows much about Korean arts is because every McDojo that pops up teaches weak as piss forms of TKD that are so far removed from what it was it's a joke and the occasional wristlock they learned in a Japanese JJ class and call it Hapkido.

We should have a traditional martial arts thread.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Dumb question, but what kind of knockout is more damaging? The ones where you just stiffen up like the Barboza one over Etim, the ones where you lose control of your limbs like Struve, the ones where you get a seizure like

or the recent Brendan Schaub one, or the ones where you don't lose conciusness all the way, but just keep getting pummeled like Pat Curran against Joe Warren?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Knockouts are weird and poorly understood. I can't really say anything about the first three scenarios, but let me ask you the following question:

What does more damage, being hit by a lead pipe once, or being hit be a lead pipe twice?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

cisneros posted:

Dumb question, but what kind of knockout is more damaging? The ones where you just stiffen up like the Barboza one over Etim, the ones where you lose control of your limbs like Struve, the ones where you get a seizure like

or the recent Brendan Schaub one, or the ones where you don't lose conciusness all the way, but just keep getting pummeled like Pat Curran against Joe Warren?

Ones where you lose bowel control. Because no fighter ever lives that down. And it is a very real possibility any time you go out.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I got knocked out in hockey once and my arms stiffed up apparently and the emt person told me that it was a 'good sign'. I also may have imagined the whole conversation...

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think time unconscious is used to determine severity in a general kind of way.

Like when Fujita was out for an entire day after getting kneed in the head, that was probably really bad. Dudes who are conscious but can't see straight enough to defend and get TKO-ed is probably not quite as bad, but no one really knows.

What is known is that even if you don't go totally out, its really bad to get hit in the head repeatedly with any kind of force. Actually being KOed is probably a really small factor compared to half a lifetime of head trauma.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
Why is it that the original broadcast of the Pride events are near-impossible to find? In particular, the Japanese PPV versions of the Pride events that feature the opening sequence where they announce all of the fighters (without Mauro chiming in every 5 loving seconds), intros before the fights, fighters walking out, and after fight segments with the fighters. I've seen almost all of the US versions of the Pride DVD's, and not one of them features the original intros before each fight, and instead there are interviews with the fighters, usually involving Mauro and Bas. The Japanese DVD's that I've seen are also different in that they replaced the intros and walk-out sequences with backstage footage. The only time I've seen footage from the Japanese PPV is on YouTube (which the UFC usually takes down) or Nico Nico Douga.

The only thing I can think of is licensing issues for the music used in the original broadcast that forced them to change it up when releasing the DVDs, but I also don't remember the US PPV's having the intros either.

I also realize this is Pride I'm talking about so maybe there is no answer.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Belle Isle Tech posted:

The only thing I can think of is licensing issues for the music used in the original broadcast that forced them to change it up when releasing the DVDs, but I also don't remember the US PPV's having the intros either.

That's the reason for both. Almost all of the PRIDE shows were tape delayed for the US PPV market, so they edited out the licensed music there too to save a few bucks.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I like to imagine that the PRIDE tape library Zuffa bought has everything intact and that Joe Silva spends his afternoons eating cocoa pebbles, watching the pre-show pump up trailers and hugging his Kazushi Sakuraba Wrestling Buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I like to imagine that the PRIDE tape library Zuffa bought has everything intact and that Joe Silva spends his afternoons eating cocoa pebbles, watching the pre-show pump up trailers and hugging his Kazushi Sakuraba Wrestling Buddy

I just want to know who's face I have to shove my money into so I can watch all of them.

Also holy poo poo that ad just gave me a huge nostalgic flashback, thanks.