Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fart blood posted:

Mostly digital design. I do print on occasion but it's pretty rare.

Don't misunderstand me about the retina Macbook Pro - it's a beautiful machine. It's just that anything not optimized for retina (like certain apps, as well as almost EVERY website out there) look up-resed and pizelated. Plus, it's also almost $4000 for the ideal one I'd want, even with cutting corners (like just the 256gb SSD or something.)

Not sure I'd consider the Air though, it feels TOO small.

I'd grab a hi-res 15" refurb and load it up with RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Bob Morales posted:

I'd grab a hi-res 15" refurb and load it up with RAM.

The standard MBP 15" can only go up to 8GB of Ram though, right? (Or can it go higher but Apple only offers up to 8GB?)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

fart blood posted:

The standard MBP 15" can only go up to 8GB of Ram though, right? (Or can it go higher but Apple only offers up to 8GB?)

It says on wikipedia that the 2011 and 2012 MBP models all go up to 16GB.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
There is £100 between the hi res MacBook pro with 8gb of ram and the retina. Ugh.

Also asmuch of a big deal I'm making of how poo poo websites etc will look I do a lot of browsing on the new iPad and it's never THAT bad.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

fart blood posted:

My question is: any design people here? If so, any of you like working on the 13-incher?

I have the Air and have edited visual effects reels during plane rides that have saved my butt. Both the battery and the size make it so I can create things in more places in a pinch. I never even hesitate to break it out, I don't think this would be the case with a 15" and more poundage. I love the screen. Also, when I get home and don't want to move files around I use a cheap monoprice MDP cable and just take over my iMac's screen.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you have a 2010 (i5 560M) 15" Macbook Pro and you think you're in for an 'upgrade' when you get the new (or old) Air...

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

penneydude posted:

The MBPr also has an IPS panel, which is nice if you're dealing with stuff that needs decent color-correctness and contrast ratios (which is assumed for designers) and you don't have an external monitor.

Quick correction: the 1680x1050 high-res 15" display has a better color gamut (full sRGB plus a bit, vs. a bit under sRGB) and slightly better calibrated delta-E (though MBPR is still better-than-the-eye-can-see good). The MBPR's contrast is indeed better, though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The MBPr also has really nice viewing angles. Best Buy had both the MBPr and normal MBP right next to each other. I tipped them both back a bit and god drat the difference was night and day.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Do Henge Docks still suck? I heard they got a decent redesign last year. Amazon reviews look favorable. Anyone bought one recently?

At work I hook up to an external monitor, keyboard, HDD, speakers, and ethernet, and there's really no good place for my MBP to rest in this state so a vertical dock seems like an elegant solution.

I also saw this Twelve South BookArc stand, which would require plugging everything in individually but at least it would clean up my desk a little bit.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The MBPr also has really nice viewing angles. Best Buy had both the MBPr and normal MBP right next to each other. I tipped them both back a bit and god drat the difference was night and day.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

If you have a 2010 (i5 560M) 15" Macbook Pro and you think you're in for an 'upgrade' when you get the new (or old) Air...

This is slightly upsetting.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Argyle posted:

Do Henge Docks still suck? I heard they got a decent redesign last year. Amazon reviews look favorable. Anyone bought one recently?

At work I hook up to an external monitor, keyboard, HDD, speakers, and ethernet, and there's really no good place for my MBP to rest in this state so a vertical dock seems like an elegant solution.

I also saw this Twelve South BookArc stand, which would require plugging everything in individually but at least it would clean up my desk a little bit.

I finally got one for my MBA last month and have 0 problems with it. Any specific questions?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

a bad poster yall posted:

That a processor running at half the electricity and 70% the clock rate only performs at parity?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

That a processor running at half the electricity and 70% the clock rate only performs at parity?

But it's two years old!

It's only one benchmark, the Ivy Bridge i5 is faster in some benchmarks:

Also, the i5 in the Macbook Pro is clocked a bit higher (and also turbos higher) than the one in that benchmark. Either way, other than the SSD distorting numbers, the 13" MBP is potentially a faster machine than the 13" Air.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

Factory Factory posted:

Quick correction: the 1680x1050 high-res 15" display has a better color gamut (full sRGB plus a bit, vs. a bit under sRGB) and slightly better calibrated delta-E (though MBPR is still better-than-the-eye-can-see good). The MBPR's contrast is indeed better, though.

My bad, thanks for that! I was generalizing TN vs IPS.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Seriously. Why are people stunned that a ULV part runs at equal performance of a two-generation old standard mobile CPU? I think that's phenomenal, especially since there's a GPU crammed onto the die as well and power consumption still manages to be half of what it was.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Bob Morales posted:

Either way, other than the SSD distorting numbers, the 13" MBP is potentially a faster machine than the 13" Air.

when has this ever been in doubt? The point has always been for day to day tasks the SSD is the improvement that makes the most difference between the Pro and the Air. Yes, if you take the SSD out of the equation the Pro is a faster machine. It has a faster/better processor.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

You are the new FidgetyRat. Congrats.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

ptier posted:

You are the new FidgetyRat. Congrats.

I have no idea who that is but I've not tried to pretend that I have a technical background. If that makes me look stupid in a thread of more knowledgeable people then gently caress it.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

mattfl posted:

I finally got one for my MBA last month and have 0 problems with it. Any specific questions?

Do you dock/undock frequently? Any trouble setting up the cables? That seemed to be the biggest customer complaint from the old model, getting all of the cables to line up and dock properly. (Obviously the MBA has way fewer ports, but still.)

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

Is it possible to remove the two parts of the white scissors mechanism the keys on the mid-2011 MBA use? I stupidly spilled a really thick smoothie on one side of the keyboard right after I bought it last year. I was able to remove all the key caps and clean it up, and the switches all work fine. However, the mechanical (scissors) part of some of the affected keys has residue on the contact surfaces that I can't clean out, so the keys have an off feeling because the operation isn't as smooth as the rest of the keyboard.

I would be able to clean the residue off if I could remove the scissors parts, but I can't find anything about working with the keyboard on this model. The keyboard is apparently permanently attached to the bottom case cover, so you can only replace the entire unit for something like $300. For that kind of price, I'd rather just live with it or get a new laptop. I am not sure if the scissors mechanism parts are removable, and I don't want to risk breaking a key by pulling one off unguided.

If I take this to an Apple Store and play dumb, are they going to disassemble the keyboard and case unit and call me on it, or will they just replace it for me? I did a really thorough job cleaning up with alcohol, and the smoothie was so thick it didn't go all over the place. With the key caps removed, it isn't possible to tell something was spilled on the keyboard by looking at it. Maybe I am just being naive because Lenovo would send me replacement keyboards no questions asked, though.

Any thoughts on this? After using it a bit, I'd probably have to revise my assessment. In cooler weather, the keys make a bit of a crunching noise, which I assume is from residue inside the keyboard assembly that I won't be able to clean. In hotter weather, it's a lot less obvious because there is no noise. They just feel a bit sticky. Again, you can't really see anything if you remove the keycaps.

You can apparently buy a replacement MBA keyboard for around $100. The installation process is loving insane, though, You basically have to disassemble every component of the laptop from the bottom up, even removing the heatsink from the CPU. I am game to give it a shot, but I guess it is basically saying the warranty is void, and no other issues I'm having with the laptop (buzzing speakers, left channel on audio out dead) will ever be addressed. Again, is there any chance they'd replace it at an Apple Store, or am I just going to look like an idiot and have them immediately identify the keyboard spill and tell me to get lost?

I am still loving pissed with myself for letting the spill happen in the first place. I don't eat or drink near my laptop, and I even use it with an external keyboard and mouse at home, but for some reason I decided to put down a smoothie in a tall glass on the table beside it. Ugh.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

I have no idea who that is but I've not tried to pretend that I have a technical background. If that makes me look stupid in a thread of more knowledgeable people then gently caress it.

Sorry, no, that doesn't mean that at all. Just someone that really digs into the numbers for a purchase. Dude was rocking a Powerbook long long into the intel era and really dug into everything when getting a new system. I did not mean for that to come out an internet jerk, my apologies.

My point being, in this case any of the systems will probably work fine for your needs.

If you need a DVD slot, ethernet built in, and an OK but not great screen, get the MBP.

If you want something a pound lighter, nice screen which I cranked to the effective 1920x1200 and don't notice webpage crappiness, and like multi-monitors, go for the retina.

If you want to carry the hell out of your system and get some stuff done, go for the 13" MBA.

ptier fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 28, 2012

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

ptier posted:

Sorry, no, that doesn't mean that at all. Just someone that really digs into the numbers for a purchase. Dude was rocking a Powerbook long long into the intel era and really dug into everything when getting a new system. I did not mean for that to come out an internet jerk, my apologies.

My point being, in this case any of the systems will probably work fine for your needs.

If you need a DVD slot, ethernet built in, and an OK but not great screen, get the MBP.

If you want something a pound lighter, nice screen which I cranked to the effective 1920x1200 and don't notice webpage crappiness, and like multi-monitors, go for the retina.

If you want to carry the hell out of your system and get some stuff done, go for the 13" MBA.

Ahhh sorry, I shouldn't have assumed. I just know significantly less about this subject so I always feel as if I should err on the side of caution.

For me the difference is mainly about money, I've posted to death about it in here so I'm trying to avoid cluttering up the thread anymore but yeah I've still yet to make my decision. I'm replacing a 4 year old machine and I just want to make sure I make the right decision.

I can afford the retina over the Air, but if I do go for it I want to make sure that I don't feel guilty for dropping that much money on a computer while I'm still not earning a huge amount. I need to do more testing in store.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I can afford the retina over the Air, but if I do go for it I want to make sure that I don't feel guilty for dropping that much money on a computer while I'm still not earning a huge amount. I need to do more testing in store.

In all the fairness the whining about Macs being really overpriced only applies to the MBP, the Air is really competitively priced compared to other high end Ultrabooks.

And the Air has the advantage of being slowly polished over the years while 2nd Gen Ultrabooks still have a few annoying weaknesses.

And you should always buy stuff within your means instead of splurging on the really expensive models.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
You're not going to enjoy using the Air for any CS5 / CS6 heavy work. (I sure haven't) It's a beautiful machine, for web browsing, mail, and consumer apps.

But, really, once you throw heavier work at it, it's just not a great experience. That's where your personal standards come into play. Some people just don't have a problem waiting around for loading bars to complete. I personally hate it.

So that leaves you with the old MacBook Pro, and the new one.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Just had a castrophic failure of a 4 month old 11" macbook air. The battery shorted out and fried the whole logic board, good reason for apple care. There was no physical damage to the unit still quite scary.

After a day with it you forgot how small and light the 11" form factor is. Looked at the new ones with 8GB it's perfect for all the VM's I need, should try to sell my 15" MBP.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Viktor posted:

After a day with it you forgot how small and light the 11" form factor is. Looked at the new ones with 8GB it's perfect for all the VM's I need, should try to sell my 15" MBP.

The 11" Air is an absolutely incredible little machine. I just got a 2012 model with the 8GB upgrade, and it is fantastic. So drat fast, and perfect for virtualization.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Yeast posted:

You're not going to enjoy using the Air for any CS5 / CS6.

You do have a point. For huge jobs, a powerful desktop elsewhere that's on Back To My Mac / Remote Desktop / VNC-VPN scales desktop resolutions better on the Air than on the 13" Pro, at least. So when the going gets tough, Billy Ocean uses a ULV terminal.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

The 11" Air is an absolutely incredible little machine. I just got a 2012 model with the 8GB upgrade, and it is fantastic. So drat fast, and perfect for virtualization.

Yeah being able to upgrade the Air to 8GB is another nice feature if you need the extra muscle.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Argyle posted:

Do you dock/undock frequently? Any trouble setting up the cables? That seemed to be the biggest customer complaint from the old model, getting all of the cables to line up and dock properly. (Obviously the MBA has way fewer ports, but still.)

I honestly haven't undocked since I got it.

The only cables you plug into the actual dock is your video cable and a USB cable so no issues there.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

etalian posted:

In all the fairness the whining about Macs being really overpriced only applies to the MBP, the Air is really competitively priced compared to other high end Ultrabooks.

And the Air has the advantage of being slowly polished over the years while 2nd Gen Ultrabooks still have a few annoying weaknesses.

Totally, especially considering you can get a refurbished 2011 13" i7 256GB which performs the same as the current gen i5 for $1200 whereas other manufacturers ultrabooks are $1500+ for worse poo poo, it makes the Air a steal.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

etalian posted:

And you should always buy stuff within your means instead of splurging on the really expensive models.

I actually completely agree and the Air looks like fantastic value. I wasn't complaining abotu the price as such, more pointing out that it's something that I have to be aware of.

Yeast posted:

You're not going to enjoy using the Air for any CS5 / CS6 heavy work. (I sure haven't) It's a beautiful machine, for web browsing, mail, and consumer apps.

But, really, once you throw heavier work at it, it's just not a great experience. That's where your personal standards come into play. Some people just don't have a problem waiting around for loading bars to complete. I personally hate it.

So that leaves you with the old MacBook Pro, and the new one.

Hmm, I was hoping this wouldn't be that true. Especially with the i7 and 8GB of RAM plus the SSD.

I'll go into the Apple store on Saturday and try and push it a little bit with CS and see what happens.

Otherwise it's going to have to be the retina as I'm not paying for a MBP over the retina when the price difference is so minimal for what you (don't) get.

I'm also getting a discount so that should shave £300 off (and bring it down to US prices ha)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Uuudar posted:

Totally, especially considering you can get a refurbished 2011 13" i7 256GB which performs the same as the current gen i5 for $1200 whereas other manufacturers ultrabooks are $1500+ for worse poo poo, it makes the Air a steal.

And the only big difference in Ivy Bridge is getting much better integrated graphics, a refurb is a good deal if all you care about is using the Mac Air for media/hauling around purposes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

etalian posted:

And the only big difference in Ivy Bridge is getting much better integrated graphics, a refurb is a good deal if all you care about is using the Mac Air for media/hauling around purposes.

USB 3.0 would be really nice to have if you've got a ton of photos etc on external hard drives that you'll be working with.

Forbidden Kiss
Apr 28, 2004

Cavalier Eternel
MacBook Pro Retina update for all my anxious killas: ordered on June 13th, shipped this morning. Expected on the 6th in Canada.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Nobody cares when your MacBook Pro is going to arrive, for pete's sake.

I'm hoping that now that Thunderbolt is shipping on a bunch of different Apple computers that we'll start to see more of an uptake in the accessories market.

Not holding my breath, though.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Would the genius bar have any old 2007 MBP batteries laying around? I need to know if the trip out that way would be worth it. I can never get a live person on the line when I call.

I need to figure out if it's the battery or the charging port that have failed on my old MBP so I can sell it to start saving for a new laptop. I don't want to end up buying the wrong thing.

Although with a new battery and charging port bought the cost wouldn't be worth it for what I could get. Hmmm.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

mediaphage posted:

I'm hoping that now that Thunderbolt is shipping on a bunch of different Apple computers that we'll start to see more of an uptake in the accessories market.

Shut up. I'm in the same boat, and I'm pretty stoked that people are getting shipping confirmation orders in. Makes the wait a little less obnoxious. :sigh:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mediaphage posted:

Well without PC adoption it will probably remain a somewhat niche product, especially given the higher price for things such as docking stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

etalian posted:

Well without PC adoption it will probably remain a somewhat niche product, especially given the higher price for things such as docking stations.

If PCs don't do much with it en masse, I expect we'll have another FireWire on our hands. Intel seems hellbent on pushing it, though, so I think we'll get there; it's just going to be a while.