Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

RHTITE posted:

If you haven't already, look back further into Immortal's work. Their stuff pre-Heart Of Winter is all worthwhile, with Pure Holocaust standing out as one of the best ever.

Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids

Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales

Enslaved - Vikinligr Veldi, Frost, Yggdrasil demo

Gorgoroth - Pentagram, Antichrist

Rotting Christ - The Mighty Contract

Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger

To add to the Burzum recommendation above, get everything up to Filosofem. Avoid demo or bootleg stuff because it's just existing recordings that have been sabotaged to sound differently and then sold.

I would like to add:
Darkthrone- Under A Funeral Moon (my favourite classic BM album)
Dissection- Storm of the Lights Bane
Enslaved- Eld, Isa and albums after that too, where they start to bring in more and more prod influence.

Also for anyone interested I saw Anaal Nathrakh at Hellfest this weekend, and they played a song from the forthcoming album, which sounded very good. Dave said it will sound like "In the Constellation..." but crazier. Personally, I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Rion.exe posted:

Could you guys throw out a few recommendations for... Otherworldly Black Metal?

This is from over two weeks ago, but please add Lunar Aurora to your list, should you need that 'projected into the airless cosmos' feel from your black metal.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Anus Dei posted:

This is from over two weeks ago, but please add Lunar Aurora to your list, should you need that 'projected into the airless cosmos' feel from your black metal.

I've really got into them recently, their new album took a while to sink in, but I'm really enjoying it now. Where would you recommend going next with them?

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

nomapple posted:

I've really got into them recently, their new album took a while to sink in, but I'm really enjoying it now. Where would you recommend going next with them?

My personal favourite Lunar Aurora album is Andacht. If you like that style of black metal (which I know you do, having watched Endstille with you last Friday!), also definitely try out Geïst (album: Galeere), and Dark Fortress (Eidolon), assuming you don't know either band. Run, don't walk - they're killer albums.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

nomapple posted:

I'm with Mojo; Andacht is the one I listen to the most, and it's probably the closest in style and sound to the new one. The three albums before those two, Mond, Zyklus, and Elixir of Sorrow, while all amazing and distinctive, have their own unique barriers: Mond has a production that is the polar opposite of Hoagascht and Andacht -- very thin and distant; Zyklus only has four songs, and they're incredibly long with little variation in each one; and Elixir, while my favorite of these, has half as many actual songs as the tracklisting leads you initially to believe, so it can feel a bit cluttered with "interludes." For whatever reason, though, those songs make me return to that album more so than any but Andacht, so I guess I'm recommending it next in line.

Continuing backwards from there, LA's black metal gets more conventional, and sort of trades song identity for atmosphere. Personally I'm fine with that, and would recommend Of Stargates and Bloodstained Celestial Spheres, just because there are so many freaking songs on there (for a Lunar Aurora album) something is bound to resonate with you.

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 21, 2012

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

My personal favourite Lunar Aurora album is Andacht. If you like that style of black metal (which I know you do, having watched Endstille with you last Friday!), also definitely try out Geïst (album: Galeere), and Dark Fortress (Eidolon), assuming you don't know either band. Run, don't walk - they're killer albums.

Coming to the end of my first listen through of Andacht, and you're right, it rules. I like the faster pace (in comparison to Hoagascht anyway). I will check out those other 2 bands you mentioned as well. There is something about Lunar Aurora that is totally spellbinding though, I love it. Their atmosphere feels very unique to them.

Speaking of unique (well, not so much anymore because clones are everywhere), Deathspell Omega's Drought is out now, what do we think? I have just hit play, so I will report back shortly, but I gather reception has been pretty mixed for it? I'll be honest, I enjoy DsO's shorter releases more (with the exception of SMRC) because their music is so intense, so I have high hopes for this. Abrasive Swirling Murk was also fantastic.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
NEW AGGALOCH

http://agalloch.bandcamp.com/track/faustian-echoes

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
New Ash Borer

I love it, but opinions so far seem to be a bit mixed. I'll update with more detailed thoughts later.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

That's not bad, although the second half kind of seems better to me than the first. Really like the solo guitar bit that comes in ~10.30 mark.

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 27, 2012

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I did like that new Ash Borer track, although it's not quite doing it for me like their previous material has for reasons I can't quite put my finger on yet. Also I'm sort of bummed that Profound Lore's putting the album out since it often takes forever for stuff on that label to get released on vinyl.

Also the new Panopticon is amazing; I can't stop listening to it.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

deadking posted:

I did like that new Ash Borer track, although it's not quite doing it for me like their previous material has for reasons I can't quite put my finger on yet. Also I'm sort of bummed that Profound Lore's putting the album out since it often takes forever for stuff on that label to get released on vinyl.

Also the new Panopticon is amazing; I can't stop listening to it.

The new Ash Borer track is boring. I loved their debut EP, that album had some really catchy riffs and sick parts. The new track is just "blah."

And hell loving yes, the new Panopticon is absolutely sick. I never thought I'd be excited hearing a track like "Come all ye coal miners" in my life. Very cool and very different.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Holy poo poo, Kentucky is loving awesome. I need this album. Klassenkampf ist Krieg.

edit: Seriously, I can't stop listening to this album. If you haven't, listen to it now.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 29, 2012

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Holy poo poo, Kentucky is loving awesome. I need this album. Klassenkampf ist Krieg.

edit: Seriously, I can't stop listening to this album. If you haven't, listen to it now.

I found it online. Tempted to give it a download, I bought the rest of his stuff, but not this because I was annoyed at vinyl only release and the shipping was awful for EU customers. Panopticon's material is too hit and miss for me to risk £25-£30 on an album I may not like, although I must admit the preview tracks are excellent. I'll probably pick up some new merch when he puts the bigcartel store back up, as I would very much like a Panopticon shirt.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm really digging the new Wrathprayer album. I tend to tire from the black/death (bestial/war metal) (yeah I don't even know what the actual correct term is) pretty quickly, with exceptions such as Teitanblood. It appears we have another exception here. It has all the barbarity of any other war metal release, except it comes with a shitload of atmosphere too. The riffs are dark and swirling, they blend into one another, occasionally snapping us out of the trance with a really fast chaotic bit, or with a genuinely catchy gallop at times. This is everything I could ask for from a release such as this, fist pumping, menacing, atmospheric war metal. Don your bullet belt, black hoodie, and leather jacket, and don't miss out on this release!

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's such a fantastic album; I found myself playing Black Soot and Red Blood over and over again the day I got it. I was skeptical when Lundr announced the album's concept but I think he perfectly blends the black metal and bluegrass elements together. In my opinion this absolutely surpasses his previous material (which is still quite good of course). Also nomapple I believe Pagan Flames/Handmade Birds are going to be putting out a CD version of Kentucky in a few months.

Since the subject of "RABM" has sort of come up, I'll just leave these here:

Marnost
Lake of Blood
Alda

All worth checking out if you don't mind a bit of granola in your kvlt.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
Are there any A Forest of Stars fans on here? Here's a new song with a video!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

deadking posted:

It's such a fantastic album; I found myself playing Black Soot and Red Blood over and over again the day I got it. I was skeptical when Lundr announced the album's concept but I think he perfectly blends the black metal and bluegrass elements together. In my opinion this absolutely surpasses his previous material (which is still quite good of course). Also nomapple I believe Pagan Flames/Handmade Birds are going to be putting out a CD version of Kentucky in a few months.

Since the subject of "RABM" has sort of come up, I'll just leave these here:

Marnost
Lake of Blood
Alda

All worth checking out if you don't mind a bit of granola in your kvlt.

I would like to add Skagos to this list, their split with Panopticon is fantastic, as is their most recent track, Anarchic. Also Lake of Blood have a bandcamp with all their releases available for free, thought it would be worth sharing, as I absolutely abhor myspace.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I came to post about Kentucky, not surprised someone beat me to it, but yes holy loving poo poo is this album awesome. Banjos, in black metal, and it won't make you laugh like that one Taake track. poo poo is bleak as hell.

I'd be pretty surprised if that one NPR guy doesn't do a story on it.

loving listen to Panopticon guys.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

IRQ posted:

I came to post about Kentucky, not surprised someone beat me to it, but yes holy loving poo poo is this album awesome. Banjos, in black metal, and it won't make you laugh like that one Taake track. poo poo is bleak as hell.

I agree with all of these statements. Kentucky is by far his most accomplished work/most complete sounding work to date. A truly brilliant album.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

IRQ posted:

hey I love that taake track :saddowns:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

IRQ posted:

I came here to do the same. Looks like I'm really late to that party.

GUYS. KENTUCKY. NOW.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nerve posted:

I do too, but I bust out laughing like crazy when that banjo solo kicks in.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
I'm listening to Kentucky now. My grandma is from Kentucky, she turned 86 today. This should be fun.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

nerve posted:

Me too! That album was one of my favourites of 2011, it was so good.

Any 2012 black metal worth checking out aside from Panopticon, Mgla, The Great Old Ones, Wildernessking, Adustum, Lunar Aurora, Deathspell Omega and Sutekh Hexen? I feel like this year has been a bit thin on the ground for black metal releases so far... Anything in the vein of the Taake/Craft releases from last year would be very welcome.

(I have ignored black/death releases such as Impiety and Wrathprayer for this as they sound so different and I just want some more icy BM in my life)

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski

nomapple posted:

Any 2012 black metal worth checking out aside from Panopticon, Mgla, The Great Old Ones, Wildernessking, Adustum, Lunar Aurora, Deathspell Omega and Sutekh Hexen? I feel like this year has been a bit thin on the ground for black metal releases so far... Anything in the vein of the Taake/Craft releases from last year would be very welcome.

(I have ignored black/death releases such as Impiety and Wrathprayer for this as they sound so different and I just want some more icy BM in my life)

I have a couple.

Mare Cognitum - An Extraconscious Lucidity
Obolus - Lament
Yayla - Sathimasal

And, of course, there's the new Agalloch EP if you're into that!

EDIT:

There's one single by a band called Black Monolith that isn't too bad. Haven't bothered to check if/when they have an actual album coming out.

Also, if you can find it, there's the Altar of Plagues/Year of No Light split; the former might fit into some nice BM for you (the latter should be some ethereal post/sludge stuff).

And then, of course, there's the new A Forest of Stars video I already posted in this thread, a song from their upcoming release later this year. Not sure if it counts as icy enough, but I imagine it's something that would be liked by people who like the sort of black metal we do.

And, if you're looking into the future, there's the looming monster coming right for us that is Darkspace IV.

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 11, 2012

Hoof
May 17, 2009

nomapple posted:

Don't know if this is what you're looking for but Unstille by Der Weg einer Freiheit released in June and I've had it on repeat since then.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Hawaii_Lame-O posted:

I have a couple.

Mare Cognitum - An Extraconscious Lucidity
Obolus - Lament
Yayla - Sathimasal

And, of course, there's the new Agalloch EP if you're into that!

EDIT:

There's one single by a band called Black Monolith that isn't too bad. Haven't bothered to check if/when they have an actual album coming out.

Also, if you can find it, there's the Altar of Plagues/Year of No Light split; the former might fit into some nice BM for you (the latter should be some ethereal post/sludge stuff).

And then, of course, there's the new A Forest of Stars video I already posted in this thread, a song from their upcoming release later this year. Not sure if it counts as icy enough, but I imagine it's something that would be liked by people who like the sort of black metal we do.

And, if you're looking into the future, there's the looming monster coming right for us that is Darkspace IV.

The Obolus EP is pretty great. I can't wait to hear the rest of Passenger (the Black Monolith EP as I really like that track. Being a fan of both AoP and YONL I was actually really disappointed by that split. Both felt a bit half baked, and just generally unsatisfying. I keep meaning to check out A Forest of Stars so I guess now is a good time to do so. I listened to the Yayla album yesterday actually, and it didn't do anything for me :( I found it pretty boring if I am honest. I will take a look in to your first rec though, as I haven't listened to them before.

Hoof posted:

Don't know if this is what you're looking for but Unstille by Der Weg einer Freiheit released in June and I've had it on repeat since then.

Thanks, I haven't actually listened to these guys before, I will bring back my impressions.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

nomapple posted:

Been rocking Vattnet Viskar, Sorcier Des Glaces, Vithr (thye've got a Kampfar feel that I like), and Negativism pretty regularly.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I can't recall if I picked up the suggestion in here, Fenriz's band of the week site or other dark corners of the web, but Faustcoven's Hellfire and Funeral Bells may very well be one of the most evil sounding albums that have ever pleasured my ears. Black Doom Metal Horror. Thank you!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I've been getting into Faustcoven but my only gripe is that I wish they'd either speed it up a little bit, or at least do a little more musically at the slow tempos. The songs where they're more active are the ones I skip to, the more Sabbathy songs. They're definitely the first band I've heard that's solidly in the doom and black camps and they loving work it.

I'm trying out this Kentucky album and I cannot get into it. They've got moments here and there where I like it but the flutes are obnoxious, the speaking clips don't feel right for black metal, there's just too much poo poo they're trying to jam into the songs. It's too busy. And the hoe-down song, Bernheim Forest In Spring, what the gently caress is this....

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I recently got into Deathspell Omega, and I like how dense the sound is and chaotic but with an underlying structure.

Are there any similar bands with that "wall of sound" style?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Morbid Florist posted:

I'm trying out this Kentucky album and I cannot get into it. They've got moments here and there where I like it but the flutes are obnoxious, the speaking clips don't feel right for black metal, there's just too much poo poo they're trying to jam into the songs. It's too busy. And the hoe-down song, Bernheim Forest In Spring, what the gently caress is this....

I like the Kentucky album, I think he blends the traditional american folk elements well enough with the black metal. The subject matter is "appropriate," the composition of the songs and the production are all really good too. But i get your point. If I want to listen to some Kentucky bluegrass, that's what I'm going to throw on.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

me your dad posted:

I recently got into Deathspell Omega, and I like how dense the sound is and chaotic but with an underlying structure.

The Ruins of Beverast, maybe. Blut Aus Nord are also French and also chaotic/avant-garde BM - I always bracket them with DsO. And they're more on the ambient side, but I think maybe Darkspace might float your boat (try Dark Space 3.0, one of my favourite albums of all time.)

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Hoof posted:

That new Der Weg einer Freiheit record totally slipped in under my radar, but I'm suddenly very excited; both their debut and their EP from last year are fantastic. On that note does anyone know a U.S. distro that has the new album, preferably the vinyl version?

As for 2012 black metal releases worth checking out I'd definitely recommend giving Cornigr- Relics of Inner War and Dolentia- Sob a Égide das Sombras a listen.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Morbid Florist posted:

I feel the same way. It has this weird irritating Nechrist vibe with the folk music that sounds forced... I just don't like it at all. I'm bummed, because with all the advance word I was hoping for a really good black metal disc, as this year has been bone dry with quality BM so far.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Morbid Florist posted:

If you don't see the history of coal mining in Appalachia as suitably grim and bleak for black metal I don't know what to tell you.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

The Ruins of Beverast, maybe. Blut Aus Nord are also French and also chaotic/avant-garde BM - I always bracket them with DsO. And they're more on the ambient side, but I think maybe Darkspace might float your boat (try Dark Space 3.0, one of my favourite albums of all time.)

Thanks - I recognized some artwork from Blut Aus Nord, and I listened to it before and liked it. I'm listening to Darkspace now. It's appealing at first listen, but like DSO, it's going to take a bit to absorb.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

IRQ posted:

If you don't see the history of coal mining in Appalachia as suitably grim and bleak for black metal I don't know what to tell you.

I wasn't talking about the subject matter at all, purely the music. But no, I don't think lovely economic/environmental situations are good black metal fodder.

American Indian black metal could be cool, though....

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

nomapple posted:

These are cool:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Mare_Cognitum/An_Extraconscious_Lucidity/344724

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Pseudogod/Deathwomb_Catechesis/328680

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Borgne/Royaume_des_Ombres/338486

me your dad posted:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Temple_Nightside/Prophecies_of_Malevolence/307916

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
Stumbled over this gem earlier.

Хлад - I (То, Чего не Должно Было Быть)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ibsw4QkIw

It's Russian and ridiculously hard to pronounce, but it's also some really solid atmospheric BM that you probably want to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Atlas Moth posted:

Stumbled over this gem earlier.

Хлад - I (То, Чего не Должно Было Быть)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ibsw4QkIw

It's Russian and ridiculously hard to pronounce, but it's also some really solid atmospheric BM that you probably want to check out.

Khlad, not too hard to pronounce. It's no Drudkh, that's for sure.

"To, chevo ne dolzhno byla byt'" ("That which should not have been")... it's only 3 tracks, but it's a fantastic EP.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 16, 2012