Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Devil May Cry fans to Ninja Theory: "Now you've really crossed the line."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

"This party's gettin' mopey" :smith:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Alteisen posted:

Good news guys, some news that will save the game and make you like it, a soundtrack sample.

http://soundcloud.com/noisia/noisia-devil-may-cry-soundtrack-sample

Dubstep and weak industrial/ebm. AWESOME.

:dogout:

"You don't gently caress with a god". Uh-huh. Yep. Deep. Aren't they having something like a dozen artists on the soundtrack? I hope the rest are better.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 27, 2012

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Ninja Theory posted:

Tameem mentions how playtesters aren't noticing any problems with Dante.
Because Ninja Theory doesn't have any.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

Because Ninja Theory doesn't have any.

Ah, but we know they had at least one. We know this because he violated a NDA and gave away what was going to appear in E3 and then some. :allears:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 27, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
"You don't gently caress with a god"

I'm just going to imagine this is used at the DmC/Demons Souls crossover, where the Dragon God smashes New Dante.

And the Real Dante shows up and has a rock battle with the Dragon God or something.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
He gets the Dragonbone Smasher as a reward and it's also a guitar.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Nahxela posted:

...it's also a guitar.

I think almost all weapons in a DMC game needs to follow this rule.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Azubah posted:

I think almost all weapons in a DMC game needs to follow this rule.

The plot to Capcom's DMC5 is Dante gathering demon weapons that double as instruments, and they advertise the game with the tagline; "Get the band back together."

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Coughing Hobo posted:

The plot to Capcom's DMC5 is Dante gathering demon weapons that double as instruments, and they advertise the game with the tagline; "Get the band back together."
I hope there's a Cowbell

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Nahxela posted:

I hope there's a Cowbell

Vergil is back and he brought a sax!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Coughing Hobo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-jjkpNP-7E

:rock:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
So basically Capcom's previous DMC teams have already thought up everything we could ever think up, and put it in a game.

I probably would buy a DMC version of *insert popular band game*, though. Maybe get together with Koei to fill it with ridiculous butt rock.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
More DmC news to come at Comic-con.

quote:

Friday July 13

12:30-1:30 CAPCOM's Lost Planet 3 & DmC – Devil May Cry: Westward Bound. - Capcom takes the Lost Planet® and Devil May Cry® franchises in exciting new directions by partnering with Western Development Partners.

DmC Devil May Cry Producer Motohide Eshiro and North American Producer Alex Jones along with series’ director Hideaki Itsuno bring you the ultimate stylish action game. Detailing Dante’s early years and set against a contemporary backdrop, DmC Devil May Cry retains the stylish action, fluid combat and self-assured protagonist that have defined the iconic series. Come and witness Dante chain together combo after combo with panache as he dispatches the demonic spawn back to hell. See what the game has in store for you January 15, 2013. It’s time to “Face Your Demons”.

Source: http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2012/06/27/san_diego_comic-con_panels_revealed

And some info about the combos and other mechanics. This is the real meat of the game, and is the crux upon which it succeeds or fails:

quote:

After playing E3's demo I managed to jot down the available amount of specials, weapon combinations and different changes/additions to the game play mechanic presented in this build.

Starting with Dante's move list:

- = Pause

Rebellion

Δ,Δ,Δ,Δ or Y,Y,Y,Y : Standard 4 hit Slash; it is possible to quickly cancel to another move after the first 3.

Δ,Δ - Δ,Δ,Δ or Y,Y - Y,Y,Y :

*Air* Δ,Δ,Δ,Δ or Y,Y,Y,Y : Similar to Nero's.

Δ,Δ - Δ,Δ : Third swipe resembles much to Nero's "Roulette", it carries the enemy back to the air.

Drive: Δ/Y charge(hold until glows) follow up with extra Δ,Δ or Y,Y(Optional) Similar to DMC4 where Dante can throw two extra sonicbooms. Cancel is possible after first sonicboom.

Stinger : Double tap foward on the joy stick and press Δ/Y. Mashing the button will follow-up a Million Stab but now called "Trillion Stab" and a final short-stinger. Cancel is possible after initial Stinger and Trillion Stab.

High Time: O/B : The classic launcher. Press once to execute a regular launch, hold to launch Dante into the air as well.

*Air*Helm Breaker: O/B : Classic Helmet Breaker.

Angel Mode Rebellion (Osiris)

To activate the Angel Mode, it is required to hold L2 or LT in order to execute the presented moves/specials.

Δ,Δ,Δ or Y,Y,Y : Osiris standard. Cancel possible anytime during combo.

Δ,Δ - Δ,Δ,Δ or Y,Y - Y,Y,Y : Third press executes a 2-hit animation where Dante swings it like nun-chucks from right arm to left. Fourth and fifth work like overhead propellers. Cancel possible after third press.

*Air* Δ,Δ,Δ or Y,Y,Y
Δ,Δ - Δ Δ

Streak: Double tap foward on the joy stick and press Δ/Y - similar to Nero's "Streak".

Prop: O/B then optional O/B follow-up: Classic Swordmaster Prop Shredder but includes a reverse counter-clockwise Prop Shredder. Cancel possible after first
Prop.*Air* Rake : O/B : It allows Dante to drag the aerial target back in front of Dante - resetting the amount of possible combos.

Angel evade (not official name): Double tab the Evade button to trigger a teleport similar to Nero's Table Hopper except it teleports Dante behind the auto locked target. It resembles closer to Vergil's Air Trick except the distance of the teleport is much smaller and invincibility frames are granted when Dante disappears/after the white smoke appears. Executable in the air.

Air Dash: X/A : Grants Dante the ability to Dash in the air. This is nowhere similar to Trickster's Dash. There are no invincible frames and it is possible to quickly stop the dash by letting go.

Angel Lift : □/X optional □/X : Dante latches onto target then drags himself towards target and allows a extra follow up punch/uppercut.

Demon Mode Rebellion (Arbiter)

To activate the Devil Mode, it is required to hold R2 or RT in order to execute the presented moves/specials.

Δ,Δ,Δ or Y,Y,Y : Standard heavy and slow 3 hit combo. Cancel possible after first and second hit.

Δ,Δ - Δ or Y,Y - Y : Third hit is an over head lumberjack hit. It also sends a limited-distance shockwave towards the target. Cancel possible after first and second hit.

Flush : Double tap foward on the joy stick and press Δ/Y. Dante throws Arbiter's metal blade to his target. The sonicboom itself seems to have no distance limit.

Tremor: O/B: An overhead hit that launches the target up into the air.

*Air* Δ/Y : Works similarly to Flush except performed in the air.

O/B : An Arbiter version of Helmet Breaker except it contains armor breaking properties.

Demon Evade: Double tab the Evade button to trigger a teleport - away from the target's attack and slows down time for a second. This maneuver requires proper timing. It was said to be able to harm targets[Needs confirmation].

Demon Pull: □/X optional □/X : Dante grabs the traget towrds him and a follow up kick - similar to DMC3's "thrust kick". It can be used to tear an enemy's shield away.

General

Δ/Y - Attack
□/X - E&I: General shooting.
O/B - Special
X/A - Jump
L1/R1 LB/RB - Evade button; grants easy use if player needs an adjacent evade button and if added with a direction, Dante can evade in the air.
L2(Hold) - Angel Mode
R2(Hold) - Demon Mode
Left Analog - Movement
Right Analog - Camera
L3 + R3 Simultaneously- Devil Trigger

quote:

***Here are some FAQ's from this and the original Gameplay Discussion thread; Sparda_Zero, StuntXL, Michael's questions sum up mostly everything you need to know.

Are there any change with the Stylish Meter?

The Stylish Meter is much lenient this time around - sticking much closely to DMC4 but it does retain the DMC3 drop checkpoints. For example Dante gets hit with an S rank, it will drop to B rather completely down. The points seem to be rewarded for longer airtime as well and as you all know or should, there is no taunt!

How does Parrying work and how does it effect the gameplay?

Parrying requires absolute timing. It works almost like a perfect Royal Guard block only that you take no damage and it stuns your target. So far, it works on every demon but the amount of Stylish points aren't as great.
What you have to do is attack right at the moment of your target's attack - triggering a stun animation. It is possible to parry with all the Osiris/Arbiter but Rebellion is the best choice considering the first swipe is the quickest amongst the three. The best way to parry is attack towards the incoming danger so it often requires the use of the analog. Parrying with Arbiter is a challenge but possible. Air parrying works too.

How responsive are the controls?

From movement to attack, every input worked like a charm. A new feature added was the controller's vibrating notification that signal pause combos the green light. So if you couldn't ever, though I doubt, pull off Dante's classic Million Stab combo : O,O-O, the controller actually vibrates during a possible pause. It also vibrates whenever a charge attack reached its limit.

A major issue was the double directional taps for Stinger and the generic counterparts. If you plan to use Stinger like you use to dream again because chances are that you may miss the second analog input because of a worn stick. The speed of the execution is much slower as well. Since that was the only double analog input special, I would hate to imagine any other specials that would require me to constantly abuse the stick.

Did they really manage to nail 60 FPS feel through 30 instead?

Not exactly. Dominic did tell me that once you reached S+ rank, the gameplay will speed up approximately 10%. Although this is subject to change, I didn't feel any difficulty change nor rush when it did occur. The "Secret Ingredient" boss fight felt the same and it was pretty difficult trying to keep the demons alive - even using nothing but Rebellion and Osiris just to test out the speed change, so having 1 or 2 enemies on screen after getting to that rank wouldn't exactly allow me to give a proper judgement. Regardless, the easiness of the game in terms of FPS still stick closely to DMC4...

Was your experienced tarnished by the lack of a lock-on?

The auto lock on is terrible... I found myself killing off a Warrior Drone during a series of 2-hit animation combos with Osiris,(The final three) combo B Δ,Δ - Δ,Δ,Δ or Y,Y - Y,Y,Y, and I was a sitting duck while thinking I could move Dante towards another Drone behind me as he finishes the final hits. This auto lock on may still be in development but if it works anywhere like Arkham Asylum/City's auto mechanic, then that would be fantastic.

Another point to add is that there are also aerial demons that shoot projectiles, the Stingers - fetus looking fallen angels. Their crossbows have a laser that blink faster every second and once it begins to solidify, you dodge. It can be interrupted by attacking them so it is no doubt their a priority if S/SS/SSS ranks are your goal but when there's a hoard of demons I wasn't able to load them with E&I or a Stinger for a zoning distance. The Angel Pull/Demon Grab worked fine but when demons that tend to charge up a special, similarly to those with chainsaws in the "Public Enemy" demo, this will become a nuisance.

How do the aim with the guns work?

As far as I can tell, the E3 demo emphasizes only on Rebellion, Osiris and Arbiter but they respond complementary with the auto lock-on because he tends to shoot the one closest or the closest in the direction Dante is facing. E&I are practically useless in the presented build.

You say it was too easy due to the dodge, do you reckon if it was on a higher difficulty the dodge would still be as broken?

No joke the invincibility frames on the ground evade is perhaps the easiest form of evasion maneuver and places itself to be the most broken mechanic I've seen out of the entire franchise. Dante is completely invincible once you press the evade button and I have escaped through all of the given demons and boss' moves(except for the regurgitation).

It is much quicker and extends longer than Trickster's Dash or Bayonetta's evade... The recovery time is quicker than all forms of evade and air evade hardly has an invincibility frames so your better off jumping or ground evading than air evading. Evading doesn't reward anything other the chance to keep your rank but it works so well.

This makes Air Dash completely useless during combat other than escaping a hoard of enemies or getting to safe ground but what this does say is Demon evade is worthless when you can quickly ground evade behind the target to execute quicker attacks. So even if the difficulty is ramped up a bit it doesn't change the fact that the evade button will remain the same but that doesn't take account of increased enemy movement. If enemy speed increases, they have a greater chance of hitting after the recovery animation but as far as it goes the ground evade is the best way to dodge.

Are there any differences in Dante's DT this time around?

The noticeable changes does not include the hair but rather the speed rate of health regeneration, more damage, upon activation will launch every demon up into the air and a hige emphasis in staying airborne. The regeneration rate will prove more useful to players that love to take pain because Dante will recover the exact amount, almost if not all, of stored DT. So it can be basically treated as a spare health bar/pack.

The launched opponents up will stun them airborne/more vulnerable for continuous (air)combos as long as DT remains activated. Upon activation will not injure the demons/DT burst(not special).

DT has a huge set of invincibility frames so it cannot be interrupted and if activated at a precise moment, it can be used to evade attacks.

There's a weird characteristic about the DT this time and it does deplete much quicker as you are on the ground; Tameem confirmed in the Stream. So the idea is to, sadly, stay in the air.

The trade off is that your attacks become 2x stronger and combat speeds up.

It is not known if the change in difficulty will effect the recovery rate at this point of given build.

Source: http://devilmaycry.org/community/threads/a-look-at-the-game-mechanics.11419/

So, yeah, dodge is broken, and the auto-lock is terrible. The Stinger works like poo poo, but the general controls are fluid. Oh, and it's easy as poo poo too, though that may simply be for demo purposes.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 28, 2012

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

quote:

Stinger : Double tap foward on the joy stick

What the fuuuuck? Has anyone anywhere ever enjoyed a game mechanic that involved 'double tapping' a button to do anything? It's annoying even in Kirby for God's sake.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I don't know, but if they had a decent lock-on system, it wouldn't be something they'd have to worry about. I mean Bayonetta and DMC both have the double tap forward for Stinger/Stiletto, but I doubt people use that when it's easier just to just use the lock-on and hit attack.

Well, they've still got about six/seven months to tighten it up.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Did earlier games have double-tapping to activate Stinger as an option? I didn't even realize. I use stinger all the time, though, and this one piece of news just made me go from "I guess I'll check this game out eventually" to "gently caress this poo poo" in my expectations.

I'm having flashbacks to playing Circle of the Moon (double tap to run, p.s., you always want to run!) on the Gamecube's GBA Player using a Gamecube's analog stick. Not good times.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Yep, they did. But people plain don't use it, when there's an easier way to do it.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Consider I double tap to run in every fighting game that features a run and I double tap to stinger in bayonetta...no it's not obnoxious at all

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 28, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Holy loving poo poo I did not you could double tap in DMC4 to do a stinger. It's useful in Bayonetta, but that's because that game is designed for flowing combat without lock-on, I'm not sure I would even want to not ever have lock-on in DMC4.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I think you can, I'm starting to doubt myself now. I could be mixing it up with Bayonetta, but I'm sure that Stinger was also forward, forward, attack.

I'm more concerned about how broken the gameplay seems to be, and how hosed the auto-target is. It's one thing fighting tough enemies, but fighting the controls is a different matter.

[e]: I haven't got access to either the games or the manuals ATM, but the wiki says I'm wrong, and it's hold down R1, forward, and attack. I'm sorry if I've misled anyone if that's right. :ohdear:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 28, 2012

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Crowetron posted:

"This party's gettin' mopey" :smith:

Well they've got at least 261 people who will buy the game if the AWESOME comments are anything to go by. :lol:

I've always used Stinger with it's default command. Didn't even realize there was a alternate input until now. :psyduck: Anyway. From the sounds of that article Lost Planet is next on the chopping block.

Resident Evil ORC was horrible, DmC is still looking horrible, I think I see a pattern emerging...

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pressing both analogue sticks in to activate devil trigger was a terrible idea in God of War, and it always will be.

The only time you should have to do that is when you're poking someone's eyes out.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Another article:

quote:

We don't know how exactly Capcom chooses which Western developers to work with, but it's hard to imagine it doesn't involve a bottle of gin and a game of blindfolded darts. Blue Castle Games worked out okay on Dead Rising, but rubbish like Dark Void and Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City has been amongst the worst games Capcom has ever published.

And yet even with Spark Unlimited working on Lost Planet 3 their most controversial choice is to put British team Ninja Theory to work on Devil May Cry. Having the makers of Heavenly Sword and Enslaved: Odyssey To The West create a reboot of the whole series has been seen by some as sacrilege - with Ninja Theory actually receiving death threats from outraged fans.

It's hard to understand exactly how a mere video game could generate that level of upset but Devil May Cry seems to have become a line in the sand for some fans, in terms of franchises they're unwilling to see handled by a non-Japanese developer. It hasn't helped that Heavenly Sword is a fairly pale imitation of Devil May Cry's general style or that that the re-imagined version of protagonist Dante is such an unlikeable hipster douchebag.

He was actually fairly inoffensive in the demo we played, but then it didn't have any significant cut scenes before it - which we wonder now may have been intentional.

The other thing fans get upset about is that the new game does not run at the optimum 60 frames per second of the original. That's still the case in the preview we played but we have to admit it's not terribly obvious - although there's generally less going on on-screen then we assume there will be by the end of the game.

What is obvious is that the graphics really aren't very good. The game might not be finished but at this stage there's a general lack of detail and so many jaggies we felt we might cut our finger if we touched the TV screen. There's plenty of time for spit and polish later (the game's release date seems destined to make it the first major release of 2013) but we have to say the visuals didn't bother us.

In fact none of the game's many issues, imagined or real, proved to be an obstacle - for the simple and all-important fact that it was great fun to play.

Despite all the death threats and forum rants the truth is DmC both looks and plays very similarly to the original games. As far as we understand the plot is set in a parallel dimension, so many of the characters are the same (Mundus and Vergil are both back) but nothing is tied down to previously established canon.

As the demo level starts Dante is walking through Limbo City with Kat, a new character who seems to act as a sort of psychic guide and more level-headed companion. The gothic architecture is straight out of the earlier games, although DmC seems to make a point of not having a fixed camera.

Leaving Kat behind Dante fades into the demon realm and suddenly the CCTV cameras (see, we told you Ninja Theory are British!) spawn giant eyeballs and a horde of demonic monsters begin to descend upon him. Again the basics of combat are exactly as the series has always been, with Dante wielding both a sword (still called Rebellion) and a pair of twin pistols (still called Ebony and Ivory).

Where DmC starts to make its mark in gameplay terms, instead of just presentation, is the use of the angel and demon triggers. These allow you to transform into different forms that make you more powerful when attacking demonic or angelic enemies. Match your foe with the opposite trigger and you get a Pokémon style elemental boost to your attacks.

Your attacks change too depending on what form you're in, with your demon mode transforming your sword into a giant and unwieldy axe. In angel mode your sword becomes a scythe, which needs a second or two wind up to do real damage.

Dante can also enter his traditional rage mode, which increases your power against all enemies. It only has a limited time use though, during which Dante's hair turns white and he suddenly looks like his old alternate universe self.

But our favourite aspect of the demon and angel forms is the way they change whether you use a hookshot to grab an enemy and yank them towards you or reverse the direction and shoot you towards them.

That sounds a more trivial difference on paper than it does in the game and we had enormous fun chaining attacks so that we smacked a flying enemy higher into the sky and then hookshot towards them to launch them even further. At this point the attending PR person got a little nervous at what they saw as a bug, but we were rather impressed that the same mechanic kept working at 200 foot in the air the same as it did at ground level.

After all it's that kind of glitching and emergent gameplay that spawned the series in the first place. (The first Devil May Cry game was meant to be a Resident Evil sequel, inspired by a bug in Onimusha that let you launch and juggle enemies in the air like a fighting game.)

Defeating the enemies we press on further into the level as the city itself begins to morph around us, apparently trying to crush us between its streets before we reach a cathedral where the walls themselves speed away from us as we try to jump onto them.

There's a certain scrappiness about DmC, that we have a feeling isn't going to entirely disappear even in the final version, but we still thoroughly enjoyed what we've played of it so far. Although we've no way of knowing how many more moves Dante can unlock by the game's end, at this stage the game doesn't seem to have anywhere near the depth of obvious rival Bayonetta (by the original creator of Devil May Cry).

But in its favour DmC is more accessible in terms of the basics of content. We'd suggest in terms of the character and setting too, but we don't want to end up getting any death threats ourselves.

Source: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/903252-dmc-devil-may-cry-preview-tears-for-fears

At least it's looking to be fun button masher, even if it doesn't seem to be on the same level as the other DMCs (I'm still on the line about renting this though). I think it's obvious to say that the author of the article hasn' played another DMC at least.

And oddly this article confirms Vergil? It's still to early for proper confirmation at this stage.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 29, 2012

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
After looking at that move list, I was getting a bit hopeful, even with the stupid double-tap Stinger. It looks like there's a lot of move cancels in there, which is incredibly important for a DMC game. But then I got to the part where auto-lock is really as bad as I'd imagined, and the evade ability is broken. :smith: Hopefully they can get this stuff ironed out before release.

What I really hate is all the glowing previews the game is receiving from press, such as the article above. They constantly reassure us entitled whingers that we have nothing to worry about, that we should just shut up, and that this game is totally just like the other DMCs... and then make it excruciatingly clear that they've only played the first DMC at the most. I stopped taking the article seriously as soon as they mentioned that "this game doesn't have a fixed camera like the others, wow!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, that is what drives me insane. Even if you have to write a positive preview, that doesn't mean you have to take the tone of complete ignorance. You could focus on the positive elements of the game on its own instead of constantly going "It's just like DMC guys from what I saw in a youtube video once!"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Combichrist music sample:

quote:

Late last year the folks at CAPCOM, the team behind the new Devil May Cry game, locked Andy LaPlegua into his Atlanta studio and wouldn't let him out until he wrote a crapton of new music for the video game. The end result was over an album's worth of new music that will be featured in the game along with Combichrist classics including "Sent To Destroy", "Get Your Body Beat", "Never Surrender" and others. We've just loaded a one-track audio sampler of new music into the BandPage player. Keep in mind this was music written specifically for the game and is NOT a preview of the next Combichrist album. We are extremely proud of this. Check it out!

http://www.facebook.com/combichrist?sk=app_178091127385

I honestly don't know what to make of this music. It's okay-ish, I guess? It's not too out of place for DMC, I suppose, but it feels like it's lacking something. :confused:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

metro posted:

Rage Mode

This is how you know they really haven't played a lot of DMC. It's loving Devil Trigger, you twits! There was devil trigger before there ever was a "rage mode" in another game! gently caress!

I'm getting a little sick of all these glowing reviews from people who obviously haven't played the other games in the series.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Hey guys did you know that Ninja Theory got death threats? Why that sure is funny isn't it? The thought that a studio would get death threats over a game in progress is so crazy! The new stuff is better for new and/or casual players and if that irks you, fans of the series, please don't send us any death threats!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Fans of the series, put your fears to rest. Different though he may look, this is definitely the same Kratos we've come to know and love over the years.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lessail posted:

Hey guys did you know that Ninja Theory got death threats? Why that sure is funny isn't it? The thought that a studio would get death threats over a game in progress is so crazy! The new stuff is better for new and/or casual players and if that irks you, fans of the series, please don't send us any death threats!

Lot of studios or people, have gotten death threats for big changes in a franchise, Kojima got a bunch when he said he was gonna step down after MGS2, people are just retarded.

And really, RAGE MODE, wow, loving really, why does it feel like Capcom purposely seeks out people unfamiliar with the other 3 games to write these fluff pieces.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Pesky Splinter posted:

Combichrist music sample:

http://www.facebook.com/combichrist?sk=app_178091127385

I honestly don't know what to make of this music. It's okay-ish, I guess? It's not too out of place for DMC, I suppose, but it feels like it's lacking something. :confused:

Combichrist is aight. I first listened to them a few years ago when they opened up for Rammstein (the drummer is also the drummer for Richard's band, Emigrate), and while I could barely tell what the gently caress they were trying to say, they're pretty fun to listen to live. It's weird to see them performing for Devil May Cry--I didn't think they were popular at all, let alone popular enough to get asked to do music for a soundtrack. Maybe opening up for Rammstein put them on the map a little?

I'm not sure they'd fit in a Devil May Cry game, but at the very least I guess they fit "New Dante" pretty well, so there's that, I guess.

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.

AccountingNightmare posted:

After looking at that move list, I was getting a bit hopeful, even with the stupid double-tap Stinger. It looks like there's a lot of move cancels in there, which is incredibly important for a DMC game. But then I got to the part where auto-lock is really as bad as I'd imagined, and the evade ability is broken. :smith: Hopefully they can get this stuff ironed out before release.

What I really hate is all the glowing previews the game is receiving from press, such as the article above. They constantly reassure us entitled whingers that we have nothing to worry about, that we should just shut up, and that this game is totally just like the other DMCs... and then make it excruciatingly clear that they've only played the first DMC at the most. I stopped taking the article seriously as soon as they mentioned that "this game doesn't have a fixed camera like the others, wow!"

The Metro isn't a quality or reputable news source, they're the free paper we get on buses and trains.

Earlier this year they reprinted an April Fool's joke, by Engadget I think, as a serious article like 2 weeks after April Fool's day.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

BlackFrost posted:

I'm not sure they'd fit in a Devil May Cry game, but at the very least I guess they fit "New Dante" pretty well, so there's that, I guess.

Yeah, they do fit the new one, I guess. And they're not terrible like that dubstep poo poo that was posted earlier. It's obvious they're trying for a different type of sound than the previous ones. I suppose it's another one of those wait and see hear things.

[e]: And I tried out the double tap for Stinger - I was confusing it for Bayonetta. Sorry everyone.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 29, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Dmc3s battle music sounded awful to me at first, but I got used to it. I'm sure I'll get used to this Dub Step stuff too.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
'Nother E3 interview, with Alex Jones: DmC's producer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=--jeMJjrvD8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI1Pzpg1W7g&feature=player_embedded

Summation:
* DmC an attempt to broaden the appeal of the franchise, while keeping some the deep mechanics and fludity of the combat, as well as the familiar, such as Rebellion and E&I
* "Familiar, but different, by deepening the gameplay and opening up the accessabilty to not scare off new users."
* Dante is now more sardonic - having his previous attitude wouldn't have fit the new world they've created. More sardonic humour, as opposed to one-liners.
* We picked Ninja Theory because "we wanted guys who had a basic understanding of making, decent, controllable melee games." [sic]

You're full of poo poo if you believe that, or you think that we believe that, dude.

* They really wanted them for their story telling, visuals, and the technolgy they use to tell their stories.
* A retelling of Dante's origin story.

I wish they'd just pick one loving term and stick to it. Reboot. Rebirth. Reimagining. Retelling. Pick one.

* Return of the "you can seamlessly switch weapons" talk, as if you couldn't in previous DMCs.
* Certain combos work better on certain enemies.
* Kat character, reappears at certain points, but not a constant companion.
* :words:[Stupid, jejune, ill-advised, social commentary]:words:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 30, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
A little interview with Combichrist on making of the music of DmC:

quote:

Interviewer: "Your song, Never Surrender, was featured in the promos for [...] DmC Devil may Cry. [...] How did that differ from creating an album or EP?"

CC: "I didn't have to come up with the ideas and concepts; which is a very different thing. Because, when you're working on music, especially when it comes to Combichrist, CC is such a character based - I write as a character, not as me. So, you know, you have to come up with a story behind it, or a storyline, or the situation or something like that.

Interviewer: "Yeah"

CC: "But with [DmC], you just had it in front of you, and you created something for a combat scene, which was liberating in one way, but also interesting because you could put more emphasis on other things. So yeah...it was cool."

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCsrdxmLRPI

Oh, and DmC is being shown at Comic Con. No idea ATM if there's any new information.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Sorry for the triple-post, but here's another person's view from Comic Con, on the game.

quote:

I started with the original stage demo which we've all seen and the first thing I do is try to get used to the new set up, tryed out some combos, shot the guns for a significant ammount of time to see if they over-heated, they did not, and, unlike Bayonetta, once you start shooting in one direction that 's the direction Dan shoots untill you stop. I walked and shot in all directions and the animation was a faster version of the walk and shoots of DMC1 and around as fast as 3 (don't remember if it's the same as 4). Another thing I noticed was that the game is not as well made as DMC4 in terms of visuals, now that I've seen in in action on HD, polygons and sharp edges are obvious on some of the lesser characters and the shading and texturing don't come off as smooth. So in terms of estetics [sic] DMC4 has, still, the best graphics

Since the line was so time consuming and I could only play once I decided to try out a lot of things, might as well.

So we get to the first fight and I put out a few combos. I try to switch weapons mid combo which works fine but even if the combo is the same botton sequence switching weapons restarts the combo so no mixing and matching weapons even with the same combo [...]. The dodge works fine but because of the timing of the attacks I ended up taking damage do to the fact that I'd dudge too early. The switchig is seemless, though, so no worries there.

The way the Demon and Angel forms are set up are somewhat counter intuetive when you actually get your hands on it. This is provably not an issue for anyone starting out with this game but as someone used to the original set it caused alot of issues for me.

Anyway, I tried out a few things while moving around. I tried to see if the wall would really crush me if I stayed in place on the last part before the church, they do close in on you. When you see it on a HD screen you can seen it slowly moving in on you, which wasn't as obvious on internet videos, but even if you are crushed in the demo there is really no penalty for it; no health decrease, no death, just start from the same place and the game might give you the impression that speed is of the essence but it's not, pleanty of time to hang out before you have to go. The movement of the city is constant so even after a big change or crack or bang it still moves slowly. The music and the slowly moving world gives the sence that you need to move, but again, it's not urgent as you are been led to believe. I was tempted to walk, and I did afew tiimes, to see if I'd die... Nope. I moved to the church and finished that.

i started with the boss fight and I can tell you that it's actually fairly challenging, even with prior knowlege of how to beat Poison. I managed to counter her swings fairly easily, it's not as hard as I thought it was going to be. I left her dangling once to see how long it would take for her to recover, not as long as I predicted, but enough to get to another plataform or two if need be.

Overall, it was the same demo with no surprises in terms of content.

quote:

Lets start with the bad:

As a DMC player my fingers automaticly would input a comand to pull of a desired effect but do to the new scheem I would constantly mess up. I would constantly try to use the lock-on on instinct and forget that that was a dudge. It took me a few essential seconds to correct my mistake. This also caused several confussing moments where I would try to pull of an angel or demon attack but would use the wrong botton out of instinct (I would try to bring an enemy to me the same way I would in DMC4 using Nero). I would also instinctively try to use the R2 botton to dudge (Bayonetta) only to stand in place and take damage. In this case it was not the games fault, someone who is new to this game or franchise wouldn't have such issues, and to be honest I was suprised it happened at all since I knew well before hand what the deal was but in the heat of the moment muscle memory takes over and I had to be overly concious of this effect. I would estemate that if I got to play the game once or twice more I would be able to get the hang of this new scheem and play the game with more finess. It's like playing two similar musical instrument (for you musicians), the set up is nearly the same but alot of times to play the same note you need to use different keys of strings and it take some practice to difirinciate, and it's worse when your trying to play a whole song. (This was by far the biggest joy kill of the experience)

The game is not as responceve in certain areas. For example: When I was trying to use the angle dash I found that I wouldn't; I'd pressed L2 and X at the same time and I'd double jump. I learned that to pull off the angel dash you had to hold L2 before you pressed X to ADash. Similar things happened when dudging, specially with Poison; Unlike Bayonetta you don't have the luxery to dudge at the last second to avoid damage, sometimes you have to dudge well before the attack gets near you, but this is not true for all attacks, only some so you gatta learn which and when. This happend with some of the graunts, too.

You HAVE TO be facing the thing, ledge, or enemy you want to graple or nothing will happen. If you can't see it on screen it doesn't matter if you're right infront of it, you won't graple it. I fell off the edge more than a few times fighting poison because of this. It's not as strict for enemies, most of the time you will just snatch 'em but for blue crystals or red ones you have to both aim at them and have them on screen to use them. I was floating right under a blue crystal during one of the 'kill the camera sequences' and D wouldn't grapple till I moved back and shifted the camera to see the drat thing.

Areal combat is not as simple as previously advertice. I've never been able to stay in the air very long so I might not be the person to ask but I found it equally hard to stay in the air here as I did in DMC4 or 3 (Well, maybe not 3 since I've never benn able to stay up in the air on 3 for any significant amount of time). The Angel grab helped quite a bit and you could push enemies pretty high up with it to get some hight, plus with the jump cancel (which I can't do but I did enemystep on a few chubby little fliers in mid air, yeah it works. I got good hights trying out the angle grapple) those who are adept at it will have no trouble staying in the air, but you fall just as fast as in DMC4 even while pulling off combos. So, is it easier? Yeah, but that doesn't mean it was easy, you still need relative skill so it's not exactly simple, even with the new features to help you up.

DT isn't as helpful as I'd hope. From what I saw the only real uses for the DT were A) to recover health and B) to launge all enemies into the air. I saw no other uses for it. Remember that this doesn't mear there are none, just that I didn't notice any.

Canceling isn't available all the time. This is another thing that I wish they used from Bayonetta, there are very few things you can't cance' in Bayonetta with the dudge botton but here in DmC there were. They were listed in the analysis of the combat thread.

quote:

on to the good. Again PS3 no 360, differences might exist, blah blah blah.

This is a very responcive game in the areas that it shines in. Weapon switching is easy and immidiate and connecting combos needs little to no pause. I was, actually impressed at the speed of the game. I can say that, im my opinion, even though DMC4 plays at 60 fps and DmC at 30 DmC is the faster game with a very tight input. As soon as you push the botton the effect tatkes place. No worries there. And the pace is faster than DMC4, you run faster and you pull of attacks faster (not as fast as reved up attack or one of Dante's fastest but at a better pace than most standard attacks).

It's moves galore in there. We've all seen the moves available but once you get to it there are actually a lot of things you can do on the fly with the things they give you.

The game is not as easie as it looks. It's not hard but it certainly wasn't as easy as I gave it credit for. I did beat the fist stage with out dying (unintentionally). While the enemies are slower on the draw than other titles, and give you a longer warning, I still didn't escape unscratched, which is a good thing.

The enemies are much more imressive upclose. Some of the ones we've seen concept art for, like the drones, are still dull and unimpressive but the chainsawed red dude actually looke kinda kick rear end in HD and upclose. A few other actually seemed a bit more impressive when you look at them in detail.

Plataforming wasn't as dull as I unticipated. I will most definitly not say it was a selling point but it certainly was more enjoyable that I thought it would be. Despite it's setbacks do to odd restrictions I found that I didn't hate the plataforming elements and actually liked one or two of the set ups.

Like I said before, it's a vast improvement on DMC4. When I went in I was expecting it to be on par with DMC4 so that was the game I played before I headed out to the con. To my surprised I found it to be faster, more responcive, and with a larger arcenal than DMC4's demo. This is deffinitly a good thing but I'm not sure I'll go as far as saying that it's better than 3 or the same, I'll coment on that latter after I've played 3 a bit more to compair.

[...]

Here are a few bad ones I remembered:

Stinger is not as easy to pull of as previous titles. There was just a big difference from the original way to do it that made it very hard to do. This might've been because I mostly
used it on Poison and my hads were a bit tired but I had a real hard time getting it work.

In DT killing enemies gets you more of those slo-mo kills. I didn't like that, it broke the tempo of the fight and was more distraction than anything. Doing it for the last one was fine because sometime I didn't know it was the last one and that pause helped, but it wears out it's welcome when it does it alot.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 13, 2012

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
The more I read about people's experiences playing the game, the more confused I get as to why the hell they felt the need to remove the lock-on button.

Seriously. In a 3D action brawler, not having a Lock-On is like a Mario game not having a jump button, but instead giving you little trampolines everywhere to help you get around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Holy god somebody get that kid away from his Playstation and get him to read some books, his spelling and grammar are loving atrocious.

• Locked thread