Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Lamont Cranston posted:

The first one surprised me but I guess it's an instance where you really have to pay attention to the drawing and where "you" are positioned? I'm also skeptical of the claim that simply because it was a long shot the offside player is excused of screening the keeper.

I gather that the first two just reveal Hackett's hatred of keepers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

foobardog posted:

I gather that the first two just reveal Hackett's hatred of keepers.

Such is our burden.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

1) If I spotted it, I would have whistled before the keeper ran at me, sent him off and forced someone else to take the penalty. By waiting for the keeper to run at me complaining though, it's a bit late really. Book the keeper because I'm a oval office.

2) Again, I should have whistled before the slip really, for an IFK for the keeper. In this case though I'd whistle as soon as possible for that IFK.

3) How the hell can a player be in an obvious offside position from a throw? There are NO offside positions from throws. Goal.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1. Too late. Red to keeper for dissent. gently caress that guy.
2. IFK to keeper. Yellow for unsporting behaviour to the other bloke.
3. Way to go, dude. Cool goal.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
1. I hate how vague this question is - If I've whistled for the penalty, fair game. If I haven't, order a retake.

2. Goal. Surely strikers getting in the keeper's way to stop a quick counter happens all the time? Don't see anything wrong with it as long as the striker doesn't trip or barge the keeper over.

3. Pretty sure you can't be offside from a throw, goal.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Vagabundo posted:

1. Too late.

Why is it too late?

1. Give the striker a second yellow and send him off. Make someone else take the pen. (would never happen, but by the rules)

2. Goal? Don't see what the defender does wrong.

3. Goal.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
1) No goal, retake pen. Send him off if you feel like being a twat.

2) Free kick. Pretty sure you can't intentionally block the 'keeper like that.

3) Goal.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

1) Feinting in the run-up is permitted. Did he pretend to kick the ball? Then it's a cautionable offense, and he should be sent off. Otherwise it's a goal. In either case tell the keeper to get the gently caress out of my face because the strip says I Am The Ref, not him.

2) It is an offense for a player to prevent the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands. You should have blown the play dead before it got this far. Blow up, and give the goalkeeper's team an indirect free kick. If anyone complains, punch them in the face.

3) You cannot be offside when receiving the ball directly from a throw-in. Goal.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
1) Aren't you allowed to stutter in your run up now? I'd allow it if I'm honest or at worst a retake. gently caress sending the guy off, that violates the "don't be a dick" rule.
2) IFK for obstruction. Yes, the keeper went down due to his own incompetence but that was brought about by obstruction.
3) Thassa goal. Who gives a gently caress if he was offside before it went out of play and just stayed offside? Punch any defender who dares complain.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I'm sure they changed the rules recently to say you can't obviously stutter in your run-up. In fact, didn't Messi get booked for doing just that?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

1. Retake. I don't think you get a card for loving up a penalty unless you do it in an obvious attempt to waste time or something.

2. Goal, unless the attacker was being a real shithead about blocking the keeper, then you should have given a yellow earlier. Though this has happened before several times, and the goal was not awarded?

3. Hmmm. By the laws I think this is a goal, but it's problematic because then people will just start hanging out in an offsides position, and force throw-ins. Eh, that's hard to do, so I'll stick with goal.

E: gently caress I'm pretty sure I'm wrong on most of these reading others' responses.

foobardog fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 22, 2012

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mickolution posted:

Why is it too late?

Aside from the fact that the wording is ambiguous enough to suggest the kicker was feinting, if I, as the referee had an issue with it, I'd have blown it up. I'm not going to order a retake for something I initially had no problem with, just because the goal keeper is a whiny tit.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I'm sure they changed the rules recently to say you can't obviously stutter in your run-up. In fact, didn't Messi get booked for doing just that?

I think it's that you can't stop completely and then restart your run, but you can change speed. It says he "checks his run", so I think that means he stops.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
1)Call for a retake to be on the safe side.
2)Goal and punch the Goalkeeper in the face.
3)Don't know what to do here so I'll call a goal let everyone else is doing.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Mickolution posted:

I think it's that you can't stop completely and then restart your run, but you can change speed. It says he "checks his run", so I think that means he stops.

Yeah that's what I meant by 'stutter' really, a quick stop and restart before striking it.

Some oval office did it to me on FIFA last night and I was livid.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
You got owned, son.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I certainly did, son.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Keith Hacket posted:

1) Calm the keeper down, and make it clear that the goal is valid. The Law states: "Feinting to kick the ball once the player has completed his run up is considered an act of unsporting behaviour", which would be a yellow card offence. But stuttering/feinting during the run-up to confuse the keeper is permitted – so he has done nothing wrong. The keeper should read his Law book. Michael Preston wins the shirt.
2) It's an indirect free kick. The Law makes clear that "it is an offence for a player to prevent a goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands" – and that clearly covers this situation, where the opponent has impeded the keeper's attempt to throw the ball to a team-mate. Thanks to John Summerfield.
3) Award the goal. Although the attacker was in an offside position during the previous phase of play, and would have been penalised had he become active, the ball going out for a throw represents a new phase of play. And as you cannot be offside from a throw-in, there is no offence here to penalise. Thanks to Peter Greenman.

I still don't see how 3 is even worth asking. It's almost as clear cut as "A striker kicks the ball into the net. The goalkeeper says he'd rather not be 1-0 down. What do you do?"

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Masonity posted:

It's almost as clear cut as "A striker kicks the ball into the net. The goalkeeper says he'd rather not be 1-0 down. What do you do?"
Check if you are Howard Webb and this is Old Trafford.

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach

Semprini posted:

Check if you are Howard Webb and this is Old Trafford.

If you are then add 6 minutes of extra time to be doubly sure.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
it's the greatest tradition in world football

1) Just tell them to clear off, I'm not booking half the team.

2) Handball

3) Goal

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1. Give them to the count of three and if they're still celebrating, book all of the reserves.

2. Handball. Booking.

3. Goal.

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

Lamont Cranston posted:

2) Handball

3) Goal

1. Join the party but red card Xabi Alonso for being a werewolf.

2. Handball, booking complete with stern look.

3. Goal (and we loop back to 1.)

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

1. The be a dick answer is to yellow card every sub. I would just rush over and tell them to get off the pitch, and if they refuse, yellow card them then. I don't think the player who scored the goal has done anything wrong. The main thing to be careful of is that the subs can't slow down the game.

2. Handball. Free kick to the defense. Expect everyone to be angry, but that is what it is.

3. Offside. The player was in an offside position during the lob, and had an effect on the play. The only way I see not calling it is if it's too late since the lob passed. I don't think it's too late.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Lamont Cranston posted:

2) Handball

3) Goal

1) Tell them to gently caress off. Anyone gives you any lip or a dirty look, they get a yellow card for unsportsmanlike conduct or delay of game or something.

2} Handball, FK to the defenders.

3) Goal.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
How is 3 not offside? The linesman should blow when the lob is made over the defenders.

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

Hoops posted:

How is 3 not offside? The linesman should blow when the lob is made over the defenders.

depends if he affected play right?

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Lamont Cranston posted:

1)Nothing really, just tell them to get off the pitch I guess.

2)Handball and a punch in the face.

3)Goal

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
1) It's not the players fault, tell the other lot to get off. Punch someone in the face for dancing.

2) Handball, obviously. Book the twat.

3)

Hoops posted:

Going by the graphic, it's a goal. He's offside initially, but not affecting play, and he's onside when the ball is played to him. Would've been offside in my day, like.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Hoops posted:

it's not, in fact it's taken pretty much exactly from the spain/croatia game, where the correct decision was made.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Lamont Cranston posted:

2) Handball

3) Goal

1) Have a word with the captain and ask him to have a word with the subs to try to keep them off the pitch. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it though, more a "Hey cap, mind having a word, keep them on the sidelines in future?"

Unless I thought the scorer did what he did to wind up opposing fans (which is a bit of a stretch) I wouldn't caution him.

2) Hand ball, yellow card.

3) Onside. As much as I disagree with the modern rulings and feel it should be offside. Officially the sidewards pass is a new phase of play, but I prefer the old fashioned "involved in play unless jogging back ignoring the ball" offside rules.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Onside cf. that one goal Ronaldo scored in La Liga

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Didn't #2 happen in a Dutch game in the Euros? The refs let them get away with it, wrong as that may be.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
#3 could be taken from the Spain - Croatia match (sorry for lovely handcam footage, but everything else seems to have been taken down by UEFA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76m2052jelU

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
The verdict:

quote:

1) The Laws only cover celebrations by players, stating that referees are "expected to act in a preventative manner and to exercise common sense in dealing with the celebration of a goal". So, as long as it is not excessive, allow the subs to celebrate. If they have delayed the restart, though, caution one or two of the worst offenders. As for the goal-scorer: his celebration does not merit a second yellow card.
Jonathan Bell wins the shirt.
2) This legal corner tactic was used early on in the Portugal group game against Holland. Nani tapped the ball forward, Meireles ran over, intending to dribble the ball towards goal and catch the defence unaware. But Sneijder was aware of the ploy. When Meireles saw him, he placed the ball back in the quadrant. The assistant should have flagged for deliberate hand-ball – a direct free-kick to Holland. Luckily, Portugal did not score from the corner.
Thanks to Sid Harrison.
3) It's a goal. In Law, a player can now only be said to be gaining an advantage if he plays a ball that rebounds to him off a goalpost or the crossbar or an opponent. The scorer did not play the ball off a rebound, and the defence should not have left him unmarked.
Thanks to Aaron Smith.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I'm a bit confused on that last one - is he saying that if it rebounded off of someone instead of being a pass it would have been offside?

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Alctel posted:

I'm a bit confused on that last one - is he saying that if it rebounded off of someone instead of being a pass it would have been offside?

I think he means that if the goalscorer in this situation received the ball via a deflection from a defender and not from the sideways passing player he would have been offside.

edit: Which is kind of a pointless remark to make because it has little bearing on the described problem.

kalthir fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 2, 2012

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Alctel posted:

Yep, that's the strict definition of "gaining an advantage", receiving the ball from a rebound off the goal or an opponent.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

#3 has been a goal for at least ten years and I'm mildly surprised that people still need it explaining to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Football's been back for almost a month, but finally we have a new You are the ref with everyone's favourite manager, AVB:

1: I guess the correct action would be to send the player and manager off, so presumably do nothing
2: Foul for dangerous play?
3: I presume this is a penalty in normal play rather than a shootout, so I don't see any problem letting another player take it

• Locked thread