Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The standby symbol, frequently seen on personal computers, is a popular icon among technology enthusiasts. It is often found emblazoned on fashion items including t-shirts and cuff-links (started in 2011).[6] It has also been used in corporate logos, such as for Gateway, Inc. (circa 2002), Staples, Inc. easytech, Exelon and others,[1] and even as personal tattoos. In March 2010, the New York City health department announced they would be using it on condom wrappers.[7]

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
so the power switch on a mac is actually standby

huh

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The standby symbol, frequently seen on personal computers, is a popular icon among technology enthusiasts. It is often found emblazoned on fashion items including t-shirts and cuff-links (started in 2011).[6] It has also been used in corporate logos, such as for Gateway, Inc. (circa 2002), Staples, Inc. easytech, Exelon and others,[1] and even as personal tattoos. In March 2010, the New York City health department announced they would be using it on condom wrappers.[7]

It's a one and a zero, not a line and a circle :spergin:

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

its a dick and ball

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Ruby got Railed posted:

its a dick and ball

granny cocking
not double balling like you're supposed to

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Structure of Wootz

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

To green-light is to give permission or a go ahead to move forward with a project.[1] The term is a reference to the green traffic signal, indicating "go ahead."

In the context of the film and television industries, to green-light something is to formally approve its production finance, thereby allowing the project to move forward from the development phase to pre-production and principal photography.

The power to green-light a project is generally reserved to those in a project or financial management role within an organization. The process of taking a project from pitch to green light formed the basis of a successful reality TV show titled Project Greenlight.[2]

In organized crime, gang and prison slang to green-light a person is to authorize the assassination of this person. An example of this use of the word can be found in the 2008 movie Felon spoken by Val Kilmer's character, John Smith.[citation needed]

The term is also used in baseball when the player is given permission from the manager to be aggressive.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Lutha Mahtin posted:

To green-light is to give permission or a go ahead to move forward with a project.[1] The term is a reference to the green traffic signal, indicating "go ahead."

In the context of the film and television industries, to green-light something is to formally approve its production finance, thereby allowing the project to move forward from the development phase to pre-production and principal photography.

The power to green-light a project is generally reserved to those in a project or financial management role within an organization. The process of taking a project from pitch to green light formed the basis of a successful reality TV show titled Project Greenlight.[2]

In organized crime, gang and prison slang to green-light a person is to authorize the assassination of this person. An example of this use of the word can be found in the 2008 movie Felon spoken by Val Kilmer's character, John Smith.[citation needed]

The term is also used in baseball when the player is given permission from the manager to be aggressive.

it's also some kind of dumb gbs poo poo

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

can we start a "post the most worthless thing you can find on saclopedia" thread

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

haljordan posted:

can we start a "post the most worthless thing you can find on saclopedia" thread

all of it?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

haljordan posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2329

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

noice

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ugh do i have to pronounce it like this now

e: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noice

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

http://www.pouet.net/search.php?what=noice

keet
Aug 20, 2005

I wrote this and am amazed it is still up after all these years :stare: ALso why is it longer now

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
if u havin mermaid problems i feel bad for u son

i got 99 problems but a fish aint one

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/group/?id=333

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&threadid=3263403

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Nice!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

penguinmambo posted:

I wrote this and am amazed it is still up after all these years :stare: ALso why is it longer now

List of Wikipedia Administrators Watching This thread
NuclearWarfare
dragonflydude

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

penguinmambo posted:

:stare: ALso why is it longer now

it has reached a critical mass and become self-sustaining

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho
it got deleted~

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockism

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Nice! :D

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Culture

As an online community with primarily user-generated content, many in-jokes and internet memes have developed over the course of the site's history. A popular meme (based on an unscientific Slashdot user poll[45]) is, "In Soviet Russia, noun verb you!" The phrase was actually originated by Ukrainian-born comedian Yakov Smirnoff as his famous Russian reversal – "In America, you can always find a party. In Soviet Russia, The Party can always find you!"[46] Other popular memes usually pertain to computing or technology, such as "Imagine a Beowulf cluster of these",[47] "But does it run Linux?",[48] or "Netcraft now confirms: BSD (or some other software package or item) is dying."[49] Some users will also refer to seemingly innocent remarks by correcting them and adding "you insensitive clod!" to the statement – a reference to a February 14, 1986, Calvin & Hobbes cartoon[50] or the 11th season The Simpsons episode, Last Tap Dance in Springfield, wherein Frink exclaims to Homer, "I was merely trying to spare the girl's feelings, you insensitive clod!" Users will also typically refer to articles referring to data storage and data capacity by inquiring how much it is in units of Libraries of Congress.[51]

Slashdotters often use the abbreviation TFA which stands for The loving article or RTFA (Read the loving article), which itself is derived from the abbreviation RTFM.[52] Usage of this abbreviation often exposes comments from posters who have not read the article linked to in the main story.

Slashdotters typically like to mock United States Senator Ted Stevens' 2006 description of the Internet as a "series of tubes"[53][54] or Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's chair-throwing incident from 2005.[55][56] Microsoft founder Bill Gates is a popular target of jokes by Slashdotters, and all stories about Microsoft are identified with a graphic of Gates looking like a Borg from Star Trek: The Next Generation.[57] Many Slashdotters have long talked about the supposed release of Duke Nukem Forever, which was promised in 1997 but was delayed indefinitely (the game was eventually released in 2011).[58] References to the game are commonly brought up in other articles about software packages that are not yet in production even though the announced delivery date has long passed (see vaporware).

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Culture

As an online community with primarily user-generated content, many in-jokes and internet memes have developed over the course of the site's history. A popular meme (based on an unscientific Slashdot user poll[45]) is, "In Soviet Russia, noun verb you!" The phrase was actually originated by Ukrainian-born comedian Yakov Smirnoff as his famous Russian reversal – "In America, you can always find a party. In Soviet Russia, The Party can always find you!"[46] Other popular memes usually pertain to computing or technology, such as "Imagine a Beowulf cluster of these",[47] "But does it run Linux?",[48] or "Netcraft now confirms: BSD (or some other software package or item) is dying."[49] Some users will also refer to seemingly innocent remarks by correcting them and adding "you insensitive clod!" to the statement – a reference to a February 14, 1986, Calvin & Hobbes cartoon[50] or the 11th season The Simpsons episode, Last Tap Dance in Springfield, wherein Frink exclaims to Homer, "I was merely trying to spare the girl's feelings, you insensitive clod!" Users will also typically refer to articles referring to data storage and data capacity by inquiring how much it is in units of Libraries of Congress.[51]

Slashdotters often use the abbreviation TFA which stands for The loving article or RTFA (Read the loving article), which itself is derived from the abbreviation RTFM.[52] Usage of this abbreviation often exposes comments from posters who have not read the article linked to in the main story.

Slashdotters typically like to mock United States Senator Ted Stevens' 2006 description of the Internet as a "series of tubes"[53][54] or Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's chair-throwing incident from 2005.[55][56] Microsoft founder Bill Gates is a popular target of jokes by Slashdotters, and all stories about Microsoft are identified with a graphic of Gates looking like a Borg from Star Trek: The Next Generation.[57] Many Slashdotters have long talked about the supposed release of Duke Nukem Forever, which was promised in 1997 but was delayed indefinitely (the game was eventually released in 2011).[58] References to the game are commonly brought up in other articles about software packages that are not yet in production even though the announced delivery date has long passed (see vaporware).

Nice! you actually went through teh trouble to underline and sup all that stuff

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

not so bad now that you can just ^u stuff

man is this new coder ever better than radium or what

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberathlete_Amateur_League#CAL_Division

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nice!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Nice!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_culture

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

hurt everyone

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

the worst culture

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

roboshit posted:

the worst culture

i dunno...

deaf culture

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sweevo posted:

i dunno...

deaf culture

also fat acceptance people and spergs

same problem they go from "shame" to "managing in life" to "i am better than all of you my handicap is an ADVANTAGE"

Wit_sponge
Dec 29, 2008

FUUUCK

roboshit posted:

the worst culture

what about sperg culture, or pony culture

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
smiley culture

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009