Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

IOwnCalculus posted:

That car would've been scrapped anywhere else.

Yeah, that car was for sure totaled by western standards. Probably by Russian ones too in all honesty. Still very impressive work but I'm not sure it would hold up the same but it does look pretty sturdy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Wishful thinking, that's a standard insurance repair in the US.

front wing flexing posted:

Yeah, that car was for sure totaled by western standards.

What makes you think so? Not particularly expensive compared to some cuts, and it's a relatively new car.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Splizwarf posted:

Depends on the value of the car and cost to repair but I think in most cases it would be totaled.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

front wing flexing posted:

Depends on the value of the car and cost to repair but I think in most cases it would be totaled.

Even if insurance repaired a car like that, I would sell it immediately afterward.

Wild On Thriller!
May 17, 2009
150T Crawler crane arrived on site last week. Guys finished rigging it up and dropped the counterweights on and were moving it so they could feed the ropes and attach hooks.

Pop! One of the track drive units had shat itself and lunched the massive cast ring that the planetary gears rotate on. Pretty impressive, one of the old geezers reckons he has never seen or heard of it happening before.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Splizwarf posted:

What makes you think so? Not particularly expensive compared to some cuts, and it's a relatively new car.

It's a Focus. Replacing 3 body panels will almost total it in the States. That's so far from a "standard" repair in the US that I'm genuinely confused.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No poo poo, bodywork / panels / painting in the US is not cheap. The fender-bender (literally) in my Miata ran about $2k to repair and that couldn't have amounted to much more than a new fender, headlight, some plastic clips, and a tie rod or something similar. Nothing needed to be welded and only the fender needed to be painted.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

No poo poo, bodywork / panels / painting in the US is not cheap.

My mom's Pontiac Vibe was struck in the front passenger quarter panel by a guy who failed to stop at a red light. Panel, suspension and frame damage. I was shocked the insurance didn't total it. Somehow the bill only came out to $7500. Which shocked me even more because I didn't think the car was worth more than $5,000.

Edit: My perception of the car's value is probably colored by it's propensity not to start in the morning, something the insurance company won't have in their books.

Aurune fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 29, 2012

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

Paul Boz_ posted:

One of my younger brothers snapped both intake cams at the gear last weekend in his N/A z32 because he apparently had some mildly bent valves that bound the cams at 6500 rpms.

This is me busting the crank pulley loose with a puller*. As soon as the timing belt came off both intake cams (arrows) were spinning freely. That's not right!

*big hammer and a flathead

How would bent valves bind the cams?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Budget Monty posted:

How would bent valves bind the cams?

If the stems jam in the guides the cams will encounter too much resistance and snap.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yes, but that's just a matter of value. If it was a brand new A8 or something else similarly expensive it would have been repaired pretty much exactly the same way. I didn't see anything particularly nonstandard about the equipment, method or parts used.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That inner b-pillar repair panel is the second most common supplied repair part. (Not counting plastics)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
So in this thread we post catastrophe, sometimes involving engine blocks. But, after said catastrophe, what do we do? We rebuild it. Stronger, Faster, More Powerful. But most importantly, with a buttload of pictures, ostensibly to make sure we put it back together right, but sometimes, we make something beautiful.

This is one of Those Things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daVDrGsaDME

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Holy poo poo, that is incredibly awesome

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Oh, that's why my steering wheel was shaking over 50mph.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

BlackMK4 posted:

Odd eh?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Beach Bum posted:

This is one of Those Things.
That was beautiful. What was the car? Something British?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Triumph Spitfire.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

^^^^^ :argh:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm almost 100% sure it was a Triumph spitfire of some generation. MK3 spitfire seems to have the same compartment layout -

Side profile matches too:

e2: its a MK1 or MK2, based on the two smaller lights on the front.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 1, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

BlackMK4 posted:

How did this happen?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tire started seperating and wore through where the belts pulled themselves apart. Usuall presents itself as a single spot getting soft, wearing much faster than the rest then that happens.

Wit_sponge
Dec 29, 2008

FUUUCK
Ugh

(Crosspost)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

grover posted:

How did this happen?

Shifted belt/weave. Had it happen on the Pennsylvania Turnpike to the '74 Fury III I had in 1983 as I was returning home from a semester. Car was wandering all over the road like a lost puppy & the wheel had a nifty shake. It didn't ever come apart like that, though - mine developed an odd wrinkle in the tread.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

Tire started seperating and wore through where the belts pulled themselves apart. Usuall presents itself as a single spot getting soft, wearing much faster than the rest then that happens.
It seems to be exacerbated by those "pillow" type speed humps, the ones that sort-of-but-not-quite fit within your track width. Sure, damage tyres on the inner edge where most people don't ever check, all in the name of road safety, grade A plan there chaps!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

:stare: I never thought of that, guess I'll be under the car today.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

TrueChaos posted:

^^^^^ :argh:

I'm almost 100% sure it was a Triumph spitfire of some generation. MK3 spitfire seems to have the same compartment layout -

Side profile matches too:

e2: its a MK1 or MK2, based on the two smaller lights on the front.

Have you seen this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daVDrGsaDME

Anyhow, this is more of an ownership failure, kind of like never getting a brake job or never having your steering checked.

Anyone here remember seeing a youtube years ago of a 4runner splashing around in the waves on a beach. It then gets swamped and carried out to sea. The driver has to swim for his life? I wonder somehow if this is related.

I actually curse this upon anyone I see digging under the tires of a stuck vehicle. CURSE THEM!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Have you seen this?

That's the video that prompted this discussion

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

This was a Z1 Star Spec at one point. The moral of this story is to not waste your money on drugs and booze when you need to buy tires.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Statutory Grape posted:

This was a Z1 Star Spec at one point. The moral of this story is to not waste your money on drugs and booze when you need to buy tires.

When the cords start showing we just grab black Sharpie or shoe polish to pass tech and then run them for one more event :haw:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Got a call from my workmates on friday last week saying "we were winching in, stopped to rest the winch, then it wouldnt go again- solenoids were clicking but it wasnt going back or forwards!"

Winch is an old Warn M10,000

Checked it out today- Got power to the field terminals when the solenoids were energised, everything is going right, but the motor still wont turn!

So pulled the winch out of the bar and cracked open the motor.

And all this crap fell out!

Tried to work out WTF it was, so I pulled the armature.

Oh- Thats not good...

Well that explains the chunky bits I found- they were the brushes!

Ive never seen this before- theres nothing else in the motor assembly thats loose- so its not like a wayward chunk of metal bent the armature up like that- its the brushes that have done that!:psyduck:

Looks like we're up for a new motor

And in OTHER news...

Mates 2006 Subaru Liberty 3.0R (Legacy in the US)died last night- horrid nose, no power steering, no alternator.

Cold hard light of day revealed:

And the best bits- Dealing with Subaru Australia...

He's in Adelaide with me for reference.

The chewed up bracket: $220 and has to come from Sydney
The Idler pulley: $107, In stock in Adelaide
The belt: $61, from Melbourne
The bolt and washer: $4.50ea from JAPAN

Chasing wreckers now, but unfortunately the EZ30 motors nowhere near as common as the 4 cylinder motors!

Ferremit fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 2, 2012

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Ferremit posted:

And in OTHER news...

Mates 2006 Subaru Liberty 3.0R (Legacy in the US)died last night- horrid nose, no power steering, no alternator.

That's a very common failure on those. I've seen a bunch of them do that.
It's even more fun when the threads in the bracket get hosed up.
Replace those loving idlers early and often.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

yeah, Brackets completely munted- its chewed the alloy to pieces and subaru australia wants $220 for one- Looking at ones from the US for around $80 now, cos even with express shipping it couldnt be more than $140 to freight the fucker.

I've heard that 50,000km is about the max life for them. Fortunately, bearings are under $10 each and easily replaceable!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Ferremit posted:

Well that explains the chunky bits I found- they were the brushes!

Ive never seen this before- theres nothing else in the motor assembly thats loose- so its not like a wayward chunk of metal bent the armature up like that- its the brushes that have done that!:psyduck:

Looks like we're up for a new motor

In theory you can fix that because it wasn't as horrible as you think it was. Those pieces generally are replaceable.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I think this wins the "rotors worn into the vanes" subthread.

"Yeah, the brakes sounded pretty terrible for about 25k miles but they got real quiet and smooth a little while back so I forgot about them."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

You'd better tell me that rotor went on the wall. It's a thing of beauty that is meant to be displayed.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

sofullofhate posted:

I think this wins the "rotors worn into the vanes" subthread.

"Yeah, the brakes sounded pretty terrible for about 25k miles but they got real quiet and smooth a little while back so I forgot about them."

I'm surprised the pads didn't get ejected and the piston is all chewed up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

meatpimp posted:

You'd better tell me that rotor went on the wall. It's a thing of beauty that is meant to be displayed.

no idea, but yeah it is indeed very pretty.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Ferremit posted:

And in OTHER news...

And the best bits- Dealing with Subaru Australia...

He's in Adelaide with me for reference.

The chewed up bracket: $220 and has to come from Sydney
The Idler pulley: $107, In stock in Adelaide
The belt: $61, from Melbourne
The bolt and washer: $4.50ea from JAPAN

Chasing wreckers now, but unfortunately the EZ30 motors nowhere near as common as the 4 cylinder motors!

How was that not whining like a cat caught in a loving wheat thresher? Almost every tensioner/idler on its way I've seen usually picked up a high pitched whine before it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MadScientistWorking posted:

In theory you can fix that because it wasn't as horrible as you think it was. Those pieces generally are replaceable.

You'd need a new armature and brushes, and depending on the cost of those parts / condition on the case and bearings of the motor, it may just be cheaper to replace the entire motor.