Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Ő_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Ő

Mister Chief posted:

Unless they're only showing anime from the late 90s and early 2000s I'm not interested. :colbert:
DRAGON! DRAGON! D-D-D-DRAGON BALL Z! YAH! :rock:
(My childhood along with Pokémon in the late 90s/early 2000s)

Assuming Toonami is still a ton of anime/Japanese stuff, I wouldn't mind seeing GCCX being played on Toonami assuming zari or someone of equal (or close to equal) translating skill translates it. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
Having nothing at all to do this summer, I have gotten extremely into the show and I have been watching at least two episodes on youtube a day.

Abe is the best.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Mr. Arino - I don't mind if it's turning into a travel show - it's all good. :allears:

It's the arcade trips and other special segments that make GCCX so good.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

jyrque posted:

Mr. Arino - I don't mind if it's turning into a travel show - it's all good. :allears:

It's the arcade trips and other special segments that make GCCX so good.

Yes. I was so suprised after watching the first season without reading up on the show, that there was more to this than just the Arino-Challenge Segment. The Travel/Arcade Trips are easily my most favorite part about the show.

Man With Scissor
Mar 18, 2008
When I first started watching, I would skip all the arcade segments thinking they'd just be boring fluff. Paid off in the end though, once I exhausted the supply of available episodes and went back to find the arcade segments I had skipped.

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

toanoradian posted:

Do they show non-anime Japanese shows in Toonami? And what is with the robot and the starship?

A few decades back, Toonami was an action oriented block of programming on Cartoon Network produced by Williams Street, the company that produces Adult Swim. It was largely comprised of anime but the non-anime shows were very few in number. The block was hosted by a robot named TOM on a starship. I don't know why that decided on a framing device for a few hours of programming but they often had special story events involving the robot and other characters that would play out over a week.

It ended up getting canceled but was brought back as a April Fools Day on Adult Swim but it proved to be popular enough that they brought it back in full for Saturday nights.

McLaglen
Nov 12, 2011

what is love?
what is free love?
what is love?
love is free.

:scotland:

TinKelp posted:

A few decades back, Toonami was an action oriented block of programming on Cartoon Network produced by Williams Street, the company that produces Adult Swim. It was largely comprised of anime but the non-anime shows were very few in number. The block was hosted by a robot named TOM on a starship. I don't know why that decided on a framing device for a few hours of programming but they often had special story events involving the robot and other characters that would play out over a week.

It ended up getting cancelled but was brought back as a April Fools Day on Adult Swim but it proved to be popular enough that they brought it back in full for Saturday nights.

Toonami UK was similar; exact same framing device (TOM, his AI companion, the starship Absolution being used to "broadcast the channel"), same 'plot' events that N.A. got, same focus on anime shows. The big differences were in the structure (airing in a small block every weeknight, and larger late-evening blocks every day, on the main Cartoon Network channel) and promotion (lots of localised adverts, bumpers and intros).

Around the early 2000's, it span off into a separate channel called CNX, ditching TOM and the rest of the plot but retaining all the shows, adding in some of CN's more mature shows of the time (Samurai Jack) as well some live-action in the form of special interest programmes (eg. extreme sports) and 'World Cinema' movies. It's my opinion that CNX would have been the perfect channel for airing legal, subtitled episodes of Game Center CX... if CNX was still around.

For whatever reason, after a couple of years as CNX, the channel was rebranded to Toonami again. TOM and all those other elements didn't return. This time, only the biggest ratings juggernauts (ie. Dragonball) survived the transition, and the holes were patched with new anime (Rave Master), 'franime' (Code Lyoko) and random live-action 80's shows. Even this would have been an okay environment for GCCX, but the damage had been done; almost none of the new shows were good, and all the best old shows aired after midnight. The channel collapsed.

Last I checked (5 years ago), Toonami UK had gone back to its roots and survived as a late-night anime block on the main CN channel, even bringing back the TOM theme (in a barebones sort of way). That's pretty much the whole story; it's probably gone forever now. RIP Toonami UK.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

TinKelp posted:

It ended up getting canceled but was brought back as a April Fools Day on Adult Swim but it proved to be popular enough that they brought it back in full for Saturday nights.
In the very beginning of Toonami, it was hosted by Moltar from Space Ghost. Go find some early Toonami bumpers on youtube to see a 3D Moltar. I also think back then the anime to non-anime ratio was smaller than it was later on.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Huzzah! posted:

In the very beginning of Toonami, it was hosted by Moltar from Space Ghost. Go find some early Toonami bumpers on youtube to see a 3D Moltar. I also think back then the anime to non-anime ratio was smaller than it was later on.

Yeah, Toonami was a lot of Gennedy Tartakovsky stuff when Tom was first introduced, plus a little bit of like DBZ and once in a while they'd bring in other shows like Big O or that submarine one with the fish-chicks or whatever. I stopped watching some time before they made it a mainly-anime deal, if it ever was.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

McLaglen posted:

Around the early 2000's, it span off into a separate channel called CNX, ditching TOM and the rest of the plot but retaining all the shows, adding in some of CN's more mature shows of the time (Samurai Jack) as well some live-action in the form of special interest programmes (eg. extreme sports) and 'World Cinema' movies. It's my opinion that CNX would have been the perfect channel for airing legal, subtitled episodes of Game Center CX... if CNX was still around.

CNX was brilliant... for a time. And then they started filling the late-night slots with Sports Illustrated Bikini Time or whatever the gently caress it's called, and it was all downhill from there. It shut down not too long after that.

Around the same time the UK Sci-fi channel was experiencing a similar collapse, changing from a genuinely cool channel that put experimental stuff on at night, and had the balls to air Evangelion on sunday mornings. No joke. And then they stopped showing weird and edgy sci-fi at night, and instead started on Emmanuel: The Series.

And now they're called Syfy and suck. It's genuinely depressing to remember the peak of satellite TV like that.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
My dad loves Syfy and a tiny piece of me dies every time I see him watching another terribly acted generic scifi drama with no plot :smith:

On the plus side I think the first anime I ever saw on TV was Akira and it was subbed instead of dubbed so thanks Sci-Fi channel we had some good times and the X-Files was always worth watching even if I saw every episode 10 times :unsmith:

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja/Toru Osawa posted:

For the Frog the Bell Tolls (1992)

Talk about another GB game that not only is a "waste of colour," but one that deserved a localization. Did it ever appear in the Waste of Color segment, for that matter?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That game was supposed to get a DX re-release for GBC which presumably would have been localised, but it went the way of Metroid II DX and Kirby's Dream Land 2 DX. Shame, it's a neat, quirky game.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There is a fan-made translation for that game now, you can get the patch here.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dominic White posted:

CNX was brilliant... for a time. And then they started filling the late-night slots with Sports Illustrated Bikini Time or whatever the gently caress it's called, and it was all downhill from there. It shut down not too long after that.

Around the same time the UK Sci-fi channel was experiencing a similar collapse, changing from a genuinely cool channel that put experimental stuff on at night, and had the balls to air Evangelion on sunday mornings. No joke. And then they stopped showing weird and edgy sci-fi at night, and instead started on Emmanuel: The Series.

And now they're called Syfy and suck. It's genuinely depressing to remember the peak of satellite TV like that.
Yeah, honestly I've given up on TV now. I mean if Disney XD can't do something as relatively simple as air Inazuma Eleven without screwing it up (Yeah, one month, thanks guys, really) then I have no faith in such a system.

Netflix for me all the way.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Shlapintogan posted:

Toonami's been brought back and airs on Adult Swim every Saturday. They even got Steve Blum back to voice Tom.

Actually, there's this website by the name of Toonami Aftermath. They seem to stream 24 hours, 7 days a week, with a smattering of anime and just miscellaneous awesome shows that were on CN at one point or another, like Freakazoid, Justice League, and Megas XLR.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I can't be the only one who remembers that :krad: flash game on their website when TOM's ship was being attacked by aliens or robots or some poo poo? Then he came back as a more-badass version of himself?

Toonami was the best.

noredeemer
Nov 15, 2011
Just watched the LoZ: Link to the Past episode and I gotta say Arino's intuition with puzzles is impeccable.

Also, throughout there were a lot of mentions of that being the last episode? Were they really intending to end the series there or was that sarcasm?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

blackhydra866 posted:

Also, throughout there were a lot of mentions of that being the last episode? Were they really intending to end the series there or was that sarcasm?

For about the first six seasons the show was on really shaky ground. Nearly every time they wrapped a season they were pretty sure it was the last episode. I think season 4 was the only one where they were certain they were returning.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Oh poor Arino, you just bombed hard on Tousouchuu. Twice.

(Tousouchuu is what inspired the short-lived Cha$e. An episode airs every three months, and Arino just got knocked out of the redemption game after getting knocked out of the main game fairly quickly)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Navaash posted:

Oh poor Arino, you just bombed hard on Tousouchuu. Twice.

(Tousouchuu is what inspired the short-lived Cha$e. An episode airs every three months, and Arino just got knocked out of the redemption game after getting knocked out of the main game fairly quickly)

He's a forty year old man who sits around playing video games all day. I think that was the obvious outcome.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Random Stranger posted:

He's a forty year old man who sits around playing video games all day. I think that was the obvious outcome.
Hamaguchi is still in the game with 14 minutes to go :ohdear:

he ended up getting knocked out 7 minutes later

Navaash fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 3, 2012

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

For about the first six seasons the show was on really shaky ground. Nearly every time they wrapped a season they were pretty sure it was the last episode. I think season 4 was the only one where they were certain they were returning.

How popular is the show in Japan now, in it's current season? I couldn't find any equivalent of Nielsen ratings.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neutron Bandit posted:

How popular is the show in Japan now, in it's current season? I couldn't find any equivalent of Nielsen ratings.

I think it's reached a level of minor cable hit. Popular enough that they can keep it going until Arino decides to call it quits and possibly beyond (I won't be shocked if when Arino retires they "promote" him and hire a new comedian as the chief). But it's not a monster hit, either. A good comparison would be roughly the same as Mythbusters in the US.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Back in the 1980s, Sega released a little arcade game named Wonder Boy in Monster Land. Many years later, Hudson wanted it for their Turbo Grafix 16 game system. Hudson decides "Hey, why not slap a popular IP on it?"

The Bikkuriman collectable stickers and the Wonder Boy in Monster Land video game, through heavy use of sorcery and science, fused and became Bikkuriman World!

Translated by Zari-gani!

Download torrent81 (1 files; 553.14 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct
http://depositfiles.com/files/2w98he7im?redirect

(Still waiting on my Bazooka Joe game, guys!)

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I have been waiting to see this one subbed. Saw the raw sometime ago. Great episode. Only Mendel Palace left from season 8.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Thanks ZG and GC!

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Woohoo, new episode! Thank you all so much! You all have really been doing a kick-rear end job and I can't believe we peaked 100 episodes translated.

Downhome
Jul 5, 2012
As a brand new paid member, and long time lurker, I wanted my very first post to be in this thread thanking everyone involved. Please keep up the great work, you have no idea how much I have enjoyed the subbed episodes, and will continue to do so for as long as you guys keep at it. Awesome work!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Oh man, what a classic episode. Tsuruoka genuinely looked like he was going to cry.

And I don't think anyone has ever been so happy to see Arino win!

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh my lord the new episode was amazing.

Two continue fails AND the return of Toujima blocking the sun? Hell yes.

Another great effort, you guys. You treat us so well.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Oh my god Arino what are you doing you just glued like a collective $400 to a piece of paper! :supaburn:

Good episode though. There was something oddly catchy about the game over theme.

Shingen
Jan 8, 2006

Useless people make for excellent target practice.

Emalde posted:

Oh my god Arino what are you doing you just glued like a collective $400 to a piece of paper! :supaburn:

Good episode though. There was something oddly catchy about the game over theme.

I have had various parts of that game's soundtrack stuck in my head for years. Played a bootleg version of the arcade game back in the late 80s, and still play it today, since it is out on virtual console/live arcade/PSN. It (the episode) was like watching my ten year old self, only instead of needing quarters to continue, it is left and start.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Emalde posted:

Incidentally, Arino seems like kind of a Big Deal, so I have this feeling that the Arino Sticker Sheet would be worth waaaaaaay more than the unused stickers he used together.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

The White Dragon posted:

Incidentally, Arino seems like kind of a Big Deal, so I have this feeling that the Arino Sticker Sheet would be worth waaaaaaay more than the unused stickers he used together.

That's what my girlfriend said after I was like "whaaaaaaaaaaaat, that guy is gonna be PISSED!". She said "hey, it's now a prop from a super popular and cool show, I bet it's worth a lot more now" which I agreed with until they said they'd give it away with the game at the end. Sure is nice for whoever won it but I bet that didn't console the writer any. Poor guy :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, but I figure if he honestly has the entire set, he probably didn't mind that much letting Arino use what were presumably his duplicates. It also sounded like some of the ones Arino was allowed to use were in pretty bad condition, so I don't think there was too much love lost there.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Back in 2000, Sakai starred in a documentary called "The Man Who Collects Bikkuriman Stickers" where he travels around Japan collecting the last fifty stickers he needs to complete his collection of all 477 "chocolate and ice cream series head stickers" (I'm guessing they're the original set or something). In the end he spends 399,162 yen (so roughly $4000) on fifty stickers. There's a blog post about it with some screencaps here (the blogger mosaic'd the faces for some reason).

There was a side segment during 24H Lemmings where he showed off his huge collection of erasers shaped like characters. He seems very passionate about his hobbies. I think his geekiness is right up there with Kibe.

He was he one who pushed for this limited run merchandise that was sold at a "GCCX Museum" event 4 years ago:

Only 30 were made and they were 3000 yen each. It doesn't even erase anything. But it sold out. I bet it's worth even more these days.

Sorta related, but this was sold at the same event. A handmade GCCX fan comic by Kibe, each copy signed by Kibe.

Only 300 yen! But unlike the King erasers, it did not sell out.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

zari-gani posted:

Sorta related, but this was sold at the same event. A handmade GCCX fan comic by Kibe, each copy signed by Kibe.

Only 300 yen! But unlike the King erasers, it did not sell out.

Further proof that nearly everyone in japan seems to have proficient artistic talent. Dude's a scriptwriter and he's making sick comics.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Full details about the GCCX in USA DVD have been released!

Famitsu posted:

- KACHO in U.S.A. Director's Cut
- Never-before-seen exclusive DVD footage "Arino Talks in Hollywood"
- That Guy Inside My Head

"Arino's Challenge"
- U.S.A pick "Abarenbou Tengu"
- U.S.A. pick "Golden Axe" overseas broadcast
- DVD original challenge "Die Hard Arcade"

Limited Edition First Run Special Gift:
- Special 3D sticker
- U.S.A. package postcard

Special Gift:
- Music CD LAST CONTINUE English version
- U.S.A. version Chief Arino business card

As shown in a recent preview, "That Guy" is that mobile site exclusive segment where staff members draw game characters from memory, and "Golden Axe" is the Kotaku version. "Abarenbou Tengu" is the original Japanese version of Zombie Nation. At first I thought maybe this means he's going to play the American version, but it's probably going to be the Tengu version and they picked it because of the USA theme.

Oh hey, look: "Music CD LAST CONTINUE English version"
Hmmmmm, now who could Producer Kan have asked to translate Last Continue to English...? :j:

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Holy crap, the DVD challenge is loving DIE HARD ARCADE?! I hope Kibe gets to be player 2 and just nerds about how awesome the Saturn was the whole time.