Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Josh Lyman posted:

If you can "move" the cursor so that other screen elements change (highlighting, being selected as you say) but the cursor itself doesn't move, that sounds like a software issue, not a monitor issue. Maybe try reinstalling/changing the drivers?

Figured out what it is. Since this monitor is so huge and the pixel density is high, I set the Display settings to Large - 150%. Apparently that fucks things up. Medium - 125% still works fine, 100%, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Has anyone checked out / used the monitor on sale in today's NewEgg email?

Asus 23" 1080p

It's Asus so I'm sure it's fine. $160 after the coupon...I'm using some ancient 22" 1680x1050 Acer and I'm sort in the mood to throw away a decent sized chunk of money.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Asus 23" 1080p

It's Asus so I'm sure it's fine. $160 after the coupon...I'm using some ancient 22" 1680x1050 Acer and I'm sort in the mood to throw away a decent sized chunk of money.
23" TN for $160 is a little on the high side. This HP is $130: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176250

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Found a post on another forum documenting stands that work well with the Catleap. I guess I'll grab the Monoprice one.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club/3200#post_17046022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Well I'm real glad I never got around to ordering that monitor yesterday, just accidentally snapped my phone in half. WOOPS. Oh well, I've been looking for an excuse to finally buy a smartphone.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SuddenExpire posted:

Has anybody had any luck getting these Korean monitors to work under Ubuntu? I currently have a GeForce GT 430 card and am close to pulling the trigger on an Achieva for work, but came across a few posts/bug postings stating that the screen resolution is limited to 640x480 after the monitor is in use( https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+question/193195).
I use Ubuntu with a 560 ti and got a Potalion the other day. I was using the Nvidia driver with my old monitor, and when plugging in the Potalion I got nothing after grub showing up. I think Ubuntu booted OK, and I you'll get to another TTY, but wasnt able to get it working playing with xorg.conf as yet.

I've gone back to nouveau for now, which works OK, but has some
Edid error messages and the occasional video burp.

I saw a post on overlock.net yesterday that has a sample xorg.conf of someone who got a catleap working with the nvidia driver in Fedora 17, so I'm going to give that a try soon.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club/2110#post_16887233

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

berzerker posted:

Update for anyone interested in getting a Catleap Q270 through green_sum: Received it yesterday and it's beautiful with no pixel problems at all that I've seen so far. Keep in mind that's without the extra $70 for pixel perfect.

Same for me. Got my monitor in under a week. No dead/stuck pixels that I can see (though I'm not about to go hunting with special programs and stuff) and it works fine with my 5770, which is theoretically unsupported.

Of course this is going to end up being a very expensive "cheap monitor", as I now realize I'm going to need a deeper desk and a high end video card. Oh well.

Kreez fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 30, 2012

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I've only had the chance to read the op and the last couple of pages, so bare with me if this comes up alot. I have an Acer X223w that's worked well for the past couple of years, but now the screen cuts off after a second or two. The image is still there, just super super dark, so it looks off. From what I've read on the topic, the inverter needs to be replaced. I called Acer, it is out of warranty. I've already replaced it as a main monitor, but it would be great to bring it back to life as an extended display. I tried searching for a repair shop, they all said it was a fools errand and it was cheaper to just buy a new one. Are they right? Is this a possible cheap DIY fix?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

gypsyshred posted:

I've only had the chance to read the op and the last couple of pages, so bare with me if this comes up alot. I have an Acer X223w that's worked well for the past couple of years, but now the screen cuts off after a second or two. The image is still there, just super super dark, so it looks off. From what I've read on the topic, the inverter needs to be replaced. I called Acer, it is out of warranty. I've already replaced it as a main monitor, but it would be great to bring it back to life as an extended display. I tried searching for a repair shop, they all said it was a fools errand and it was cheaper to just buy a new one. Are they right? Is this a possible cheap DIY fix?

How good are you at fixing electronics?

I personally probably wouldn't bother, unless I could find a working same model LCD that just had a cracked screen, or something.

Super Mario Shoeshine
Jan 24, 2005

such improper posting...
Which is the best brand right now for medium priced 23' monitors? I am gonna get a new second one and I need to start looking for information.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

mediaphage posted:

How good are you at fixing electronics?

I personally probably wouldn't bother, unless I could find a working same model LCD that just had a cracked screen, or something.

Inexperienced, but the tinkering would be half the fun. Is there a place to buy the part online?

Maelin
Aug 12, 2007
Looks like one of my monitors has just given up the ghost (won't turn on at all), so I'm feeling pretty tempted by the Catleap as a new primary monitor.

My only concern is whether my video card will be able to drive that many pixels. I have a 2GB 6950, I use dual monitors but only the Catleap will be used for gaming (I just leave a web browser and other stuff on the secondary screen - the secondary one is 1680x1050). I do play games with intensive graphics (new FPSes, including BF3).

I don't really know how graphics cards work, so I'm not sure if having the smaller screen running alongside will cripple my framerates. Will my graphics card be able to handle gaming on the Catleap with the secondary monitor? Or should I go something smaller (1920x1200 if I can find it) to ensure I get decent framerates?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Super Mario Shoeshine posted:

Which is the best brand right now for medium priced 23' monitors? I am gonna get a new second one and I need to start looking for information.

Unless you're getting an IPS monitor, which it doesn't sound like, they're more or less the same. Just choose one based on stand adjustments and price.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
I upgraded from an asus 21" lcd to a samsung px2370 a year or so ago and it was a night and day difference. As far as I know, they were both tn panels. However the asus was a fluorescent backlit display.

If the dell 24" screens were as cheap then as they are now I would have probably gone that route.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Maelin posted:

I don't really know how graphics cards work, so I'm not sure if having the smaller screen running alongside will cripple my framerates. Will my graphics card be able to handle gaming on the Catleap with the secondary monitor? Or should I go something smaller (1920x1200 if I can find it) to ensure I get decent framerates?

You don't have to run at native resolution - GPU scaling is pretty reasonable these days

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Maelin posted:

Having a second monitor attached will do very little to your framerate. All it takes is a little VRAM, which isn't going to be enough to impact anything noticeable. Now whether your GPU has enough oomph to push BF3 at good settings at a good framerate, regardless of multi-monitor, I can't say. But dissss is right that you can just GPU scale it and it shouldn't look too bad, if performance is really an issue.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Just received the 27" Potalion and godamn is it ever pretty. The stand is terrible, though, no tilt and it wobbles like crazy. Any suggestions for a good cheap aftermarket stand?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

VorpalFish posted:

Just received the 27" Potalion and godamn is it ever pretty. The stand is terrible, though, no tilt and it wobbles like crazy. Any suggestions for a good cheap aftermarket stand?

I've gotten 3 of these monitors thus far... all of them have tilted. Granted they all take varying amounts of force to do so.

They also swivel too..

Try again, they definitely tilt. All 3 that I have will tilt forward about 3° past straight up, and about 10° backwards.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 2, 2012

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

You have the potalion 2710QW? Mine will definitely not tilt at all (though it will rotate), and there are differences between the different stands on the various korean clones.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
My Catleap just arrived, and god drat. Worth every penny. There are a few dead pixels (that I can't see unless I really look for them) and the DVI cable that came with it had pins bent beyond usefulness, but for $300 I'm not expecting a whole lot.

I'm thinking what I might do is buy another Catleap and then a U2711 or ZR2740w to use as the centerpiece of a triple display setup. That way I could drive all three from the same video card without buying any adapters (the Catleaps from the DVI ports, and the Dell/HP from the displayport).

Two questions:

1. Do the high-end Dells/HPs ever go on sale for a significant ($1-200) discount?

2. Am I better off buying a single triple-monitor stand to hold all three displays, or a pair of more adjustable single-monitor stands for the Catleaps? Do triple-monitor stands even exist that will support 27" displays?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Thoom posted:

1. Do the high-end Dells/HPs ever go on sale for a significant ($1-200) discount?

2. Am I better off buying a single triple-monitor stand to hold all three displays, or a pair of more adjustable single-monitor stands for the Catleaps? Do triple-monitor stands even exist that will support 27" displays?
1. Yes, with varying frequency. The smaller (~24") ones will go on sale more often, and usually top out at around $60 off (about 20%). Larger ones usually don't go on sale as often, but I've seen the U2711 as much as $300 off. Just gotta wait for the sales.

2. I'd go with multiple single stands. There are 3x27" stands, but they are quite expensive. Multiple single ones will likely be cheaper, as long as you have the space to mount them.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

DrDork posted:

1. Yes, with varying frequency. The smaller (~24") ones will go on sale more often, and usually top out at around $60 off (about 20%). Larger ones usually don't go on sale as often, but I've seen the U2711 as much as $300 off. Just gotta wait for the sales.

2. I'd go with multiple single stands. There are 3x27" stands, but they are quite expensive. Multiple single ones will likely be cheaper, as long as you have the space to mount them.

Thanks! I'm patient and can wait for a sale, and I'm just about to buy a new desk so space can be arranged. Plus that means I can get a stand for the current monitor now rather than waiting to have three. :)

Edit: Does anyone have a particular single-monitor stand to recommend? My key criteria is that it can support a 27" monitor with the bottom of the monitor level with the desk. Tilt adjustment would be nice. The ability to put the display in portrait mode would be even nicer.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 4, 2012

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

This is a good stand if you need portrait.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Easy-Adjust-Monitor-Stand-MS110MB/dp/B0013CD0DI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

If not, this one will do.

http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Ti...e+monitor+stand

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Went with the 3M stand because it looked nicer in general. Thanks!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sab669 posted:

Asus 23" 1080p

Josh Lyman posted:

23" TN for $160 is a little on the high side. This HP is $130: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176250
Well not $130 anymore, but sales end.

For today only, this Acer P216HL Black 21.5" 5ms Widescreen LED Monitor REFURBISHED is $95 + shipping.

For non-refurbished there is this Acer S220HQLAbd Black 21.5" 5ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor for $110.

It seems that 21.5" is the smallest I can find 1920x1080 at, and it would compliment my 20" 1680x1050 monitor well.

Are the Acer monitors good for their price? How about ASUS such as this Asus VE228H 21.5" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor which should be comparable in price once the sales end (and is $135 at Amazon)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Were the old ADC 23" Apple Cinema HDs any good?

I'm not trying to use one as a primary display but I have a few old ADC compatible G5s laying around and I found 2 of them for dirt cheap.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Shaocaholica posted:

Were the old ADC 23" Apple Cinema HDs any good?

I'm not trying to use one as a primary display but I have a few old ADC compatible G5s laying around and I found 2 of them for dirt cheap.

I wouldn't say no to a dirt cheap (depending on what your definition of dirt cheap is) 23" 1920x1200 display.
http://www.everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple_cinema_hd_display.html

Trying to discover what panel type was in it, but to no avail.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 5, 2012

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

It was a TN panel, good for the time, but not exceptional compared to anything now. Still, definitely worth it for a G5. I actually might be interested in one to replace the 15" ADC display I have for my G5.

ooo
Feb 5, 2009

CABS AH HEAA
I'm in the market for a monitor. It will be for creating and editing music. If anybody just upgraded and wants to sell me their old one, hit me up! Or if anybody knows any decent deals on a refurb I'd be okay with that too. I don't need cutting edge/top of the line stuff, and as expected, I'm not trying to break the bank. My whole life has been spent on 15" CRTs and 11" laptop screens to give you an idea of where I'm coming from. I'd like something flat panel over 19".

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ooo posted:

I'm in the market for a monitor. It will be for creating and editing music. If anybody just upgraded and wants to sell me their old one, hit me up! Or if anybody knows any decent deals on a refurb I'd be okay with that too. I don't need cutting edge/top of the line stuff, and as expected, I'm not trying to break the bank. My whole life has been spent on 15" CRTs and 11" laptop screens to give you an idea of where I'm coming from. I'd like something flat panel over 19".

I think you'd want a 1680x1050 screen at the least; what is your budget?

Dell U2711 UltraSharp 27" is $750 Free Shipping at Newegg.

ooo
Feb 5, 2009

CABS AH HEAA

movax posted:

I think you'd want a 1680x1050 screen at the least; what is your budget?

Dell U2711 UltraSharp 27" is $750 Free Shipping at Newegg.

Holy poo poo not $750!! What a beast that thing is. the whole rest of the computer I'm putting together is more like $500 otherwise, so yeah pass on the $750 monitor. Thansk though.

I was thinking like $150 tops. remember, used is fine and in fact preferred.

Phalex
May 14, 2002

I think that was just a general PSA for everyone.

ooo
Feb 5, 2009

CABS AH HEAA

Phalex posted:

I think that was just a general PSA for everyone.

whoops, good point.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Well, a few weeks into my Catleap Q270, there remain no pixel problems, BUT the screen flickers a little bit sometimes now. Also the bottom of the screen seems to be wrapping around to the top for like 5 pixels' worth, which is weird but probably a driver issue. I assume there's nothing to be done about the flickering and that's just shoddy Korean manufacturing that I'm going to have to deal with?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Went and saw the 2x 23" ADC Cinemas and they were awful. Usual TN issues aside one had a bad backlight in the middle so the middle was horribly dark and the other was just meh. They guy offered me to trade a 19" LCD for one and take the other one for $100 but having seen their condition I passed. In hindsight having gone to a BB and Frys to see what display prices are at these days, even $60 is too much of one of these things that only works with ADC or some expensive power supply.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are there any cheap IPS displays in the 21-24" range? Crazy Korean brand or otherwise acceptable. Hopefully not more than $150.

Don't care about lag or >60hz. Only care about post calibration color, brightness uniformity and viewing angle. Preferably shallow gamut. 100% sRGB would be ideal.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 8, 2012

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Read the OP.

Quoting Movax's fantastic OP again here (these often go on sale, helping you get near your price point):

movax posted:

Dell U2211H (21.5", IPS)
Inputs: DVI, DisplayPort, VGA
Resolution: 1920x1080
Recommended: Good monitor, terrible value
+/- Anti-Glare Coating
+ standard Dell height-adjustable/swivel stand
+ USB Hub
- really expensive for 22"

Dell U2311H (IPS) U2312HM is the new refresh of this. Look for closeouts on the 2311H!
Inputs: DVI, DisplayPort, VGA
Recommended: If it's cheap, the U2312HM replaces this in every way.
Tags: Premium, Dell, UltraSharp, 23", 16:9
+/- Anti-Glare Coating
+ affordable IPS monitor (if you want bang for your IPS-desiring bucks look here)
+ very low input lag for an IPS screen (<3ms)
+ USB Hub

Dell U2312HM (IPS)
Inputs: 1x DVI, 1x VGA, 1x DisplayPort
Recommended: YES
Tags: Premium, Dell, UltraSharp, 23", 16:9
+/- Anti-Glare Coating
+ affordable IPS monitor (if you want bang for your IPS-desiring bucks look here)
+ LED backlit (compared to its CCFL predecessor)
+ even lower input lag (source)
+ USB Hub

Basically a 1:1 replacement for the U2311H with a sleeker bezel, lower input lag, and a LED backlight.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
The new HP 2311xi is also a 23-inch IPS panel, matte screen, 1080p for $239.99. They've also got a new 20-inch for $169.99, though it's 1600x900.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Are there any cheap-ish eIPS displays (maybe 19" or 20") that can still rotate to portrait mode?

(is rotating between portrait and landscape called pivoting or swiveling?)

Shaocaholica posted:

Are there any cheap IPS displays in the 21-24" range? Crazy Korean brand or otherwise acceptable. Hopefully not more than $150.

Don't care about lag or >60hz. Only care about post calibration color, brightness uniformity and viewing angle. Preferably shallow gamut. 100% sRGB would be ideal.
There's this; Anandtech Review. And on a similar level, this.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autarch Kade
May 6, 2008
I'm thinking of adding a bank of three 30" monitors to the three I already have. I'm toying with this idea, not sure yet. If I go with a 3 horizontal by 2 high setup, what would be the best way to mount the three top monitors, bearing in mind that they're heavy?