Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

shalcar posted:

Autoresolve does have an interesting quirk in that it doesn't take fortifications into account when doing the strength calculations and resolution. It's often possible to take a fort with autoresolve that you couldn't hope to take in the realtime combat. By the same token, you should pretty much always fight your defensive battles in realtime as otherwise you are throwing away a huge advantage.

It also seems to always force all of the units to fight, which can be kind of annoying if you have a mixed army. My katana warriors, for example, always lose like 20-30 guys whenever I autoresolve, even if it's against a half dozen spear levy that realistically would've all been mowed down by my gatling guns before even coming within 100 feet of the katanas.

Still, it's a nice option to have if you get tired of constant battles where you're just mopping the enemy forces up and you want to play it as more of a strategy game. I remember the very first M:TW got really tedious once you went on your continent-conquering spree because the autoresolve was so lovely that it forced you to fight every single battle. Unless you were cool with losing 500 men every time your 2,000-men army fought a general-less 400-man group of peasants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
Am I the only person who actually likes tracers? I've just been looking at the modding scene for Empire and Napoleon and pretty much every single mod disables them or at least has them disabled by default.

Is it such a crime to want to know what is actually going on with your missile units at a glance?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Shorter Than Some posted:

Am I the only person who actually likes tracers? I've just been looking at the modding scene for Empire and Napoleon and pretty much every single mod disables them or at least has them disabled by default.

Is it such a crime to want to know what is actually going on with your missile units at a glance?

You can basically cut the Total War fans into two camps, those that believe realism should take priority over gameplay and those that believe gameplay should be first.

CA has historically been in the gameplay first category (hence war pigs and such) and so has included tracers on the arrows. The mods tend to be of the opposite camp simply due to the fact that the base game is so often heavily biased towards gameplay over realism. Those mods are fairly similar to the "battle realism" mode that Shogun 2 comes with simply due to the fact that their targetted audience is so heavily composed of realism first types.

It's important to note that I am not saying any one choice is better than any other in objective terms, but the gameplay first approach does seem to move more items otherwise they would go for the pure realism style.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Played Napoleon Total War with some goons last night, annoyingly for some reason the Multiplayer lobby UI is really sluggish and the bug where it is always raining is still there.

We got dropped on the 3rd game all at once too. Why CA? You released unit packs but ignored the cripping issues of multiplayer for it. Why?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Is there a way to organize your army in Napoleon Total War? In Shogun 2 all you had to do was drag and drop but it doesn't work in Napoleon.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

GetGamesGo is having a Shogun 2 sale. All redeemable on Steam.
http://www.getgamesgo.com/category/shogun-2-sale

They have a bundle with all four of the Fall of the Samurai pre-order clans for $5.00.
http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/total-war-shogun-2-fall-of-the-samurai-clan-dlc

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008

Gyoru posted:

GetGamesGo is having a Shogun 2 sale. All redeemable on Steam.
http://www.getgamesgo.com/category/shogun-2-sale

They have a bundle with all four of the Fall of the Samurai pre-order clans for $5.00.
http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/total-war-shogun-2-fall-of-the-samurai-clan-dlc

Buyer beware. I just purchased Fall of the Samurai and the DLC bundle from them. The unique activation key they e-mailed me was invalid. I contacted customer support. I'll update once I hear from them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

tokyosexwale posted:

Buyer beware. I just purchased Fall of the Samurai and the DLC bundle from them. The unique activation key they e-mailed me was invalid. I contacted customer support. I'll update once I hear from them.

As a counter-point, I bought the pre-order clans bundle, and all 4 of the keys the e-mailed me were fine. Not saying you aren't having issues, but it doesn't look like the whole system is screwed.

EDIT: Just as a thought...you are using the keys they email to you, correct? The order confirmation number is just for record-keeping with their site, the Steam Keys are sent in separate emails.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 30, 2012

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

tokyosexwale posted:

Mine worked fine so it's probably just an individual blip.

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008
Yeah. Looks like my credit card company jumped on the transaction as 'outside normal purchases' and declined the transaction. Not sure what went on there as I use it for Steam all the time. No harm no foul though since I didn't lose any money. I might try it again later or just wait for the inevetable Steam sale. Good to hear other people are having no problem though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

tokyosexwale posted:

Yeah. Looks like my credit card company jumped on the transaction as 'outside normal purchases' and declined the transaction. Not sure what went on there as I use it for Steam all the time. No harm no foul though since I didn't lose any money. I might try it again later or just wait for the inevetable Steam sale. Good to hear other people are having no problem though.

If you want, we can probably work out a deal with you paypalling me and me sending you steam keys

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

So the realm divide in FotS, how does that work. Do all the factions fall into two alliances or does everyone merge into one of the two factions or something else

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
One group will either fight with you or against you, depending on your decision. If you pick Republic, everyone will join against you.

I had no trouble buying from GetGamesGo.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Is it just me or is the Satsuma campaign in FOTS complete bullshit? You start without a barracks and facing an army more powerful than your own. Once you've finally gotten round to defeating your initial opponent it seems like everyone else has started blobbing and you have nowhere to expand that isn't blocked by superstacks oh and by the way you have no money.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Been playing Europa Barbarorum for the first time, never even tried vanilla Rome. Things are very slow going so far, i've played quite a while and only just took over all of Italy + islands as Rome, and invaded what i think is Carthage in North Africa (my ancient history is awful). I can't help but mentally categorise all the bizarre faction names into ancient French, ancient Germans etc. And yes as a pop-history barbarian I was sad that the cool Lora Segmenta (?) armour Romans are famous for doesn't seem to be in the mod for accuracy purposes.

The game is awesome though, and it's bizarre how the AI seems significantly better than some later titles.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Is it just me or is the Satsuma campaign in FOTS complete bullshit? You start without a barracks and facing an army more powerful than your own. Once you've finally gotten round to defeating your initial opponent it seems like everyone else has started blobbing and you have nowhere to expand that isn't blocked by superstacks oh and by the way you have no money.

What was your difficulty setting? On Normal, I just played the regional big fish and moved fast taking land. One of the northern Islands is worth taking right away as it has a gold depot that makes building up so much easier.

The biggest problem is the Saga in that region.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

What was your difficulty setting? On Normal, I just played the regional big fish and moved fast taking land. One of the northern Islands is worth taking right away as it has a gold depot that makes building up so much easier.

The biggest problem is the Saga in that region.

On Hard, apparently that is the reason for the ridiculous number of superstacks being thrown my way.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alchenar posted:

On Hard, apparently that is the reason for the ridiculous number of superstacks being thrown my way.

Ouch, yeah playing expansion wars on Hard with the Tsu to the east and the Saga who are double buffed doesn't sound like much fun.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

:aaa:

I don't usually have these moments but I was messing about with the faction screen for the first time ever and realised that you can adopt generals and give then titles with faction wide bonuses.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

And yes as a pop-history barbarian I was sad that the cool Lora Segmenta (?) armour Romans are famous for doesn't seem to be in the mod for accuracy purposes.

The game is awesome though, and it's bizarre how the AI seems significantly better than some later titles.

I don't know if you've visited the EB forums for a decent amount of time but it's pretty funny how the EB community HATES Lorica Segmentata. People just foam at the mouth! But yeah, it wasn't used in the time period of the game. Also, be sure to change the requisites you need to make reforms, otherwise the Marian and Imperial reforms will be almost impossible to enact.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
It existed, but was unavaliable to the regular soldiers.

How do you change the reform requisites?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Rome 2: Total War! CVG has a preview and an interview with the Lead Designer.

Some points from those:
  • New graphics engine, but same minimum system specs as Shogun 2... or at least that's the plan.
  • Preview demo was an assault on Carthage after a long campaign against them, with "thousands" of soldiers on the field.
  • Lots of new per-soldier animation details, like shouting orders and flinching when someone is sniped next to them.
  • New "soldier's eye view" camera so you can watch a battle from the eyes of one of your troops.
  • Land and sea battles have been merged. So ship-mounted artillery can be turned on cities as your infantry invades them.
  • Naval units now consist of multiple ships, since ancient naval battles were about shitloads of ships.
  • Multiple capture points in city sieges, for more cat-and-mouse based battles.
  • Trying to create scale out of bigger city maps, more ships in a naval unit etc. not just having more little dudes on the screen.
  • Can set the AI to control specific units for you on the campaign map, following orders you give, while you micromanage something else.
  • "Legion Legacy" gives your Legions traits that you get to use in battle.
  • "Fewer, but more significant battles"
  • Campaign map is bigger than Shogun 2's and Rome 1's, and uses the same visuals as the battle engine.
  • Dev team is twice the size of Shogun 2's with 40% bigger budget.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 2, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So it is official. Fingers crossed this one will be even better than the original (please!).

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

RockPaperShotgun's article on Total War: Rome II

The combat within the town looks amazing. No longer narrow corridors with broken AI issues, now it looks to be wide streets with tons of infantry.

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 2, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Interesting to see they will focus on optimisation, maybe this new engine and fingers crossed a new video codec so Rome 2 will be less than 15 gigs on our HD?

Quite happy to see it'll be in development for a year or more though. Don't rush this one CA. Seriously.

And since it is a new engine the whole opening the older versions of the current one to modding might become true after all.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I hope they bring back the hilarious attributes your general could get in Rome. Nothing beats having your drunk, embarrassing uncle vomit all over the campaign map in front of your men.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
The move from controlling individual units to "legions" sounds interesting. Wonder how that'll work out.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

peer posted:

The move from controlling individual units to "legions" sounds interesting. Wonder how that'll work out.

Yeah. Also that quote about "fewer but more significant battles" has me both excited and nervous, because that's something I think the series has always needed, but it all depends on implementation.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

SeanBeansShako posted:

Quite happy to see it'll be in development for a year or more though. Don't rush this one CA. Seriously.
Shogun 2 was really a high water mark for CA in terms of production quality, and it sounds like they're gearing up to make Rome 2 something legendary. It's gonna be hard to not get hyped :hist101:

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

The Kins posted:

Rome 2: Total War! CVG has a preview and an interview with the Lead Designer.

The feature set is nice, especially the key battle thing which is important to the era, but I really hope they put their effort into fixing the AI. I can't honestly say TW games have improved much since Rome came out. They've felt like iterations to things like gameplay, visuals and settings but without the AI improvements to keep up.

Watching boarding parties over and over again might be boring though they'll probably go overboard with gimmick units

The latest games obviously felt rushed

Anyway, I got Napoleon since it's 5 dollars on impulse and maybe it managed to fix the stuff in Empire that was really poorly done. I still think that setting might have the most potential for a TW game

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Looking at the RPS preview, a quote at the bottom sticks out; “fewer but more significant battles”.

And I'm happy with that right there. One of my favourite parts of Medieval 1 was how you could have huge, decisive battles given the nature of the map and how the AI worked. If they set up mechanics which would bring back this style of gameplay it would be amazing, because then wars become a lot more dramatic.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

Looking at the RPS preview, a quote at the bottom sticks out; “fewer but more significant battles”.

And I'm happy with that right there. One of my favourite parts of Medieval 1 was how you could have huge, decisive battles given the nature of the map and how the AI worked. If they set up mechanics which would bring back this style of gameplay it would be amazing, because then wars become a lot more dramatic.

I'm up for it, especially if it ends the AI sending one one unit attempts at your doom stack wasting time as you don't want to auto resolve as you'd lose more men that you wouldn't if you fought normally.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

peer posted:

Earlier I suggested that the only way a WW1/2 scale game would work the way Total War works is if each 'unit' was a Division with all the integrated combined arms you would expect to see and not just a mass of men with the same kind of sword/gun.

I wonder if this is the sort of thing they mean.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Hammerstein posted:

I hope they bring back the hilarious attributes your general could get in Rome. Nothing beats having your drunk, embarrassing uncle vomit all over the campaign map in front of your men.

I hope so too, I'm especially fond of the nicknames the generals could get. My favorite general through all Total War games an old dude, leading my stacks of doom through the world. I had decided that I wanted him to be remembered as The Great. After all, he had already conquered Egypt and Levant among other victories. He was Victor, when I suddenly noticed that he had gained the nickname Wrathful. Oh poo poo, time to get conquering more. A few turns later he was known as the Conqueror. And a few more turns later he was known as the Mad. Queue some more conquering, this guy was getting really old and I wanted him to be remembered for his greatness. A few turns later he croaked and was forever remembered by the world as the Fat.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fingers crossed they'll keep the Shogun 2 style multiplayer for it as well. It will be very interesting if they do.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
PCgamer.com has something interesting:

CA posted:

Giving the player the power to pick the loadout of individual units of troops is something else that Creative Assembly are exploring. “There’s no reason that we can’t allow the player, maybe, to change the way those units are equipped” Ferguson says. “For example there’s the cavalry sword – the spatha. In reality that didn’t really become part of standard Roman equipment until very late, in the [Imperial] period – but there’s no reason that some general at some point might not have decided, ‘well lets do that earlier on’.” The idea of history as a sandbox is still at the forefront of Total War’s identity.
gently caress the sperglords, Segmentata armor for everybody from the word go.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Apparently they want to return to some sort of player narrative too, so they are scattering Paradox style random events about the world and we may see the return of the crazy Generals and hopefully their speeches.

Asehujiko posted:

PCgamer.com has something interesting:

gently caress the sperglords, Segmentata armor for everybody from the word go.

Don't get too excited, you'd need to research the drat stuff first.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

If they fix city sieges and assaults to be fun then it will be perfection.

Also I hope they drop the go anywhere campaign maps and make every province a series of choke points. Its not that fun and it would make it easier to make each battle "significant".

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If they are going the RPG root of equipping some of your elites in this though, I have a slightly nasty feeling that Tech might be the new unit packs DLC wise.

Of course I'm just being cynical ignore me :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

SeanBeansShako posted:

If they are going the RPG root of equipping some of your elites in this though, I have a slightly nasty feeling that Tech might be the new unit packs DLC wise.

Of course I'm just being cynical ignore me :(.
You've every right to be cynical about it considering it's the route every other piece of DLC for every other game recently has taken.