Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Where are people seeing the third episode? Is it streaming on the website or was it on TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
It aired yesterday. There's a rerun today at 10:00.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

mobo85 posted:

The figure pictured next to Hirsch here is actually his ex-girlfriend. Here's him with his sister:

Yep these were the pics I saw. Haha I love that she has some random sequined thing on underneath the sweater. I entirely understand where he got the inspiration for Mabel.

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008
This show already looked promising as hell, just from the OP and hearing everyone's reactions. Then, I learned that Kristen Schaal was in this. Fuckin' SOLD! She's hilarious in pretty much everything I've seen her in (most recently, Bob's Burgers and 30 Rock), so I was expecting great things here.

Anyway, after viewing all 3 episodes, I can safely say that Gravity Falls is my favorite new animated show this year. It's clearly a kids show, and yet there are definitely nods to animation's older demographic (as someone pointed out, do they really expect young 'uns to know Coolio?) Disney has an animation goldmine here, let's hope they support it properly.

If I had to describe the show in three words? Hilarious. Adorable. Mysterious.

Hilaradorysterious! ...Shut up, it's a work in progress. Either way, I'm locked in for the whole season, easily.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

KenjiKaizoku posted:

Anyway, after viewing all 3 episodes, I can safely say that Gravity Falls is my favorite new animated show this year.

I feel the exact same way. I didn't know there could be a cartoon better than Adventure Time.

Now I don't know what to think. :ohdear:

Zhumma
Aug 5, 2006
title text
I have to nth the love for this, I can't remember laughing this hard at a cartoon since forever. It's got the perfect blend of all ages humor, sly nods and excellent animation.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bass Bottles posted:

Where are people seeing the third episode? Is it streaming on the website or was it on TV?

You can download episodes off itunes, but except for the first episode they are like 3 bucks each.

Reginaldavid
Sep 30, 2006
beautiful cretin

kidcoelacanth posted:

Not in the first episode ~:v:~
Sure, there's no McGucket, so no McGucket's buddy/stalker/caretaker. ...Unless I totally missed the goggles guy in that episode, but I don't recall him in any of the crowd scenes.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Reginaldavid posted:

Sure, there's no McGucket, so no McGucket's buddy/stalker/caretaker. ...Unless I totally missed the goggles guy in that episode, but I don't recall him in any of the crowd scenes.

He's in the background when the gnome pile attacks at the shack. There's a picture in the thread somewhere.

edit:

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 2, 2012

Reginaldavid
Sep 30, 2006
beautiful cretin

kidcoelacanth posted:

He's in the background when the gnome pile attacks at the shack. There's a picture in the thread somewhere.
Oh, that one's relatively subtle. I'm a sucker for mysterious background characters, so I expect they're going to do something pretty cool with this guy.

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat
Anyone else notice:

Whiirrr fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 3, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Winklebottom posted:

Soos, Sasquatch!

Would anyone in the "target audience" even have any idea why this is so funny?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patterson-Gimlin_film

Edit: For real content, holy Hell I love this show. The latest episode was the "weakest" of the three so far, but that's not saying much. That's like saying the guy who takes the bronze medal in the Olympics power-lift is the "weakest."

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Whiirrr posted:

Anyone else notice:

That was the first thing I thought of and the entire time I was waiting for him to cry.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Edit: For real content, holy Hell I love this show.

Me too, and I thought the newest one was the best yet. I'm so confident that you'll agree that I'm gonna take a long sip of my coffee...

DrBouvenstein posted:

The latest episode was the "weakest" of the three so far, but that's not saying much.

:supaburn:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

Would anyone in the "target audience" even have any idea why this is so funny?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patterson-Gimlin_film

That was probably my favorite part of the ENTIRE episode. I had to stop it so I wouldn't miss anything from laughing too hard.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Occupation posted:

I refuse to believe this show is aimed at children. What the hell sort of 7-12 year old would even know who Coolio is, much less why it's funny that it's so unbelievable that a wax figure was made of him?

Seriously this show would not be out of place in the FOX Sunday lineup (but behind years 2-9 of The Simpsons). "Wax John Wilkes Booth, was that you?!" was some golden age of The Simpsons level of intelligent humor.

Holy goddamn this show is amazing.

Exceedingly few cartoons are actually aimed only at children (Dora etc.), although I know TVIV has major problems figuring out such a simple concept. I'm surprised tons of people haven't dropped into this thread to accuse everyone watching it of being a pedophile.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

IRQ posted:

Exceedingly few cartoons are actually aimed only at children (Dora etc.), although I know TVIV has major problems figuring out such a simple concept. I'm surprised tons of people haven't dropped into this thread to accuse everyone watching it of being a pedophile.

You're allowed to enjoy a cartoon if you're not a horrific idiot about it. It's not like we're labeling ourselves Brables or drawing erotic fan-art of Soos.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lone Goat posted:

You're allowed to enjoy a cartoon if you're not a horrific idiot about it. It's not like we're labeling ourselves Brables or drawing erotic fan-art of Soos.

My experience has been rather different.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

IRQ posted:

It also has serious problems figuring out that some viewers are women :monocle:.

"Why do the guys keep taking their shirt off in Teen Wolf what is this????"

By the way, does anyone else expect the goat to be important, too?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pick posted:

By the way, does anyone else expect the goat to be important, too?

Oh, I have a feeling it will be...just you wait...:tinfoil:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Does anyone else laugh just at the fact Coolio and Larry king voiced themselves?
Also seems John Oliver from the daily show was SHERLOCK BLEEDING HOLMES, and I think they got Larry just so they could record him saying *Llamas are natures greatest warriors*

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pick posted:

That was probably my favorite part of the ENTIRE episode. I had to stop it so I wouldn't miss anything from laughing too hard.

I thought of that too, I was thinking "are they making fun of the debate of how humans apparently cannot walk like bigfoot" "yes...yes they are".

However the one thing that saddens me is the fact there is only so many legends and cryptoids to cover that we'll get less than the 54 episode maximum(unless it nolonger exists but I think it does).

Unless you want to cover every variation of Sasquatch, in which there is like a billion. But the only good story about Sasquatch that was an epic tale of the highest order was the one about the Sasquatch who ran away with the Giraffe necked girl and who's uncle shaved himself and because a sucessful lawyer.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I watched this show after seeing a gif of the gnomes vomiting rainbows, watched the first two, and my god. This show is FANTASTIC.

Everyone I've shown this show was hooked via the pilot/first episode. Which is madness because for so long pilots have SUCKED. Except for Archer. I love Archer. And now this show and I'm almost embarrassed to admit that. Almost

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Also that one random guy in the background appears in the third episode at the beginning when it pans to the crowd asking for their Free Pizza.
He's also in that suspects' mugshot gallery later on.

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

This is a really dumb question, but driving my roommates and I mad—where have I heard the Mabel pelican voice before?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Vaerai Archon posted:

However the one thing that saddens me is the fact there is only so many legends and cryptoids to cover that we'll get less than the 54 episode maximum(unless it nolonger exists but I think it does).

I think legends and monsters are easy enough to make up that even if they exhaust all the ones that exist, they can still have plenty of material. I read somewhere (here?) that each season is going to be a month of summer. So, presumably June, July and August. That would be three seasons, which used to be the YOU CAN'T GO PAST THIS MANY SEASONS for Disney Channel. But fans basically threw a fit when they tried to end Kim Possible after 3 seasons and Disney relented, and Phineas and Ferb is getting a fourth season (AND a possible movie) so who knows if that three season limit is actually in effect anymore. This show seems to be a pretty huge hit already, so hopefully hopefully it keeps going for a while.

That being said, they seem to have some mysteries they don't want to reveal for a while, like Grunkle Stan's secret room. They might have a planned end for the show already.

Reginaldavid
Sep 30, 2006
beautiful cretin

Dalton posted:

This is a really dumb question, but driving my roommates and I mad—where have I heard the Mabel pelican voice before?
It sounds a lot like a Fat Albert impression, for one.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Macaluso posted:

I think legends and monsters are easy enough to make up that even if they exhaust all the ones that exist, they can still have plenty of material. I read somewhere (here?) that each season is going to be a month of summer. So, presumably June, July and August. That would be three seasons, which used to be the YOU CAN'T GO PAST THIS MANY SEASONS for Disney Channel. But fans basically threw a fit when they tried to end Kim Possible after 3 seasons and Disney relented, and Phineas and Ferb is getting a fourth season (AND a possible movie) so who knows if that three season limit is actually in effect anymore. This show seems to be a pretty huge hit already, so hopefully hopefully it keeps going for a while.

That being said, they seem to have some mysteries they don't want to reveal for a while, like Grunkle Stan's secret room. They might have a planned end for the show already.

Well, Kim Possible was also insanely popular in every demographic, as far as I know. I have no idea whether or not kids are enjoying Gravity Falls right now. Perhaps it's too early to tell. The time slot they put it in is definitely a weird one for (younger) kids to be watching.

Of course if kids aren't enjoying it they should be :colbert:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I'd never heard of this show before a friend of mine streamed the first few episodes last night, and now I can't get enough of it. Everything about it, from the writing to the animation, is fantastic. Not to mention some of the references-what kind of kid's show has a callback to Red Dawn? All I can say is that I absolutely cannot wait for the next episode. I am hooked.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Vaerai Archon posted:

Have you seen Supernatural?

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vaerai Archon posted:

With all the hints and hidden details they keep dropping they might be trying to build their own mythology or conspiracy or something, which could be good or bad depending on how they handle it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It's not like living wax figures and hive gnomes are cryptids and that they can't make their own weird legends.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I don't suppose anyone could avatarize the WHAT weather vane gif? It would be most appreciated.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

OmegaZultan posted:

I don't suppose anyone could avatarize the WHAT weather vane gif? It would be most appreciated.

I'm not super-good with GIFs but I gave it a shot. It has a lot of frames and colors so the only way to make it not look like poo poo was cut out a whole bunch of frames, and I still haven't gotten the hang of the playback speed yet.

Farbtoner fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 3, 2012

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
The first three episodes were excellent. Hilarious dialogue, gorgeous animation, and a whole bunch of other things that have been covered already. The start has been engaging, looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Reginaldavid posted:

It sounds a lot like a Fat Albert impression, for one.

It sounds uncannily like the animatronic blackbird at Enchanted Forest, a seriously, seriously ramshackle family-built theme park (article) in central Oregon that is extremely popular if only because Oregon only really has two theme parks and this one is crazier. Farmer Crack-rear end and I went there last summer. It is kind of awesome in a "This would never exist anywhere else" way (partially because it would be super illegal to build now). I definitely recommend that article, as it also includes a picture of the joke-cracking blackbird in question. The article says the bird is "cockney" but it definitely, definitely isn't. If anyone here is ever in Oregon, you should pay the $10 to go in the park and marvel at its multitude of wonders.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Macaluso posted:

I guess so, I mean they did have all of the wax figures be based off of real people EXCEPT Sherlock Holmes who isn't a real person.

Allthough I'm all for severed wax Larry King head who lives in the air vents to be a reoccuring character.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
John Oliver is a terrific voice actor. If he wasn't full-time being hilarious on The Daily Show, I would listen to him voice different animated characters all day.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The llama on her optional sweater at the end of "Headhunters" seems to be the same design as the little llama around the circle on that mystery image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!
SO I got this in the mail a couple days ago

It's just a generic trucker hat, It's really well made and the material used is EXTREMELY comfy. only $20 all together. Fits well with my collection of other hats I have.

Some guy made it on Zazzle, if anyone else wants the link I'll post it

• Locked thread