Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ambiguatron posted:

Clearly if you dropped a typical Earthican on Westeros, their strength and density from living on a high gravity world would allow them to decimate entire armies and wear a miniature castle for armor.

Jon Carter of Westeros. I can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Jon Carter of Westeros. I can't wait!

You missed the obvious Gor joke. Isn't low gravity a thing with those as well?

Maybe it's a stock thing with the planetary romance genre.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Never read Gor, sorry. It's a little too creepy-misogynistic-macho-bullshit for me. I'll stick with Conan, who only crushes women to his muscular bosom in Jordan's work.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Low gravity would destroy any explanation about Moon's Door though, since the fall wouldn't be nearly as fast and probably not deadly either. :science:

Edit: Unless the higher altitudes actually had higher gravity than the lowlands.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Never read Gor, sorry. It's a little too creepy-misogynistic-macho-bullshit for me. I'll stick with Conan, who only crushes women to his muscular bosom in Jordan's work.

No one actually reads Gor, it exists solely to be the butt of jokes.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Omnicarus posted:

Low gravity would destroy any explanation about Moon's Door though, since the fall wouldn't be nearly as fast and probably not deadly either. :science:

Edit: Unless the higher altitudes actually had higher gravity than the lowlands.

Things which evolved in a lower gravity environment would be far more frail than you and I, so the moon door still works.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ambiguatron posted:

No one actually reads Gor, it exists solely to be the butt of jokes.

gently caress it. I will.

If WWW is willing to read 50 shades of grey for our amusement, I'll bite the bullet on Gor.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

I've been planning to read it but when my hand hovers over the buy button, I get that sick feeling that I got the first time I went into a strip club or whorehouse, like I'm about to to do something irreversible to myself. It's kind of stupid since it's just a book, but I bet all the people who dress up in leather halloween costumes and pretend to be from Gor said that once, too.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ambiguatron posted:

I've been planning to read it but when my hand hovers over the buy button, I get that sick feeling that I got the first time I went into a strip club or whorehouse, like I'm about to to do something irreversible to myself. It's kind of stupid since it's just a book, but I bet all the people who dress up in leather halloween costumes and pretend to be from Gor said that once, too.

Just fuel up on Pop-Tarts, you'll do fine.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Gunpowder ruins everything. Every Total War game ever made sucks as soon as gunpowder is discovered.

Oh my giant castle walls mean nothing now? I quit.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I'm glad Gor exists if for no other reason than it gave us one of the best MST3K episodes ever.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
The end of knights was by no means an inevitability. It was the result of huge changes in economics, science, engineering, etc. If you ever get a chance, watch the original Connections series (I think they're all up on YouTube) -- it gives a good idea of how bizarrely inter-connected things are, and how much needs to happen elsewhere in the world before some new invention can be realized:

quote:

The Wheel of Fortune" traces astrological knowledge in ancient Greek manuscripts from Baghdad’s founder, Caliph Al-Mansur, via the Muslim monastery/medical school at Gundeshapur, to the medieval Church’s need for alarm clocks (the water horologium and the verge and foliot clock). The clock mainspring gave way to the pendulum clock, but the latter could not be used by mariners, thus the need for precision machining by way of Huntsman’s improved steel (1797) and Maudslay’s use (1800) of Ramsden’s idea of using a screw to better measure (which he took from the turner’s trade). This process made a better mainspring and was also used by the Royal Navy to make better blocks. Le Blanc mentioned this same basic idea to Thomas Jefferson who transmitted this "American system of manufactures" – precision machine-tooling of musket parts for interchangeability – to New Englanders Eli Whitney, John Hall and Simeon North. The American efficiency expert Frank Gilbreth and his psychologist wife later improved the whole new system of the modern production line.

Given the right cultural priorities or what-have-you, I don't think it's inconceivable that material culture remained relatively unchanged for thousands of years. It's happened with lots of cultures here on Earth.

e:
That being said, I think it's clear that GRRM is wholly unconcerned with accurate numbers, which is an interesting contrast to his attempts at creating realistic or believable personalities.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 2, 2012

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's a shame we'll never know Yoren's stance on automatic weapons.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
I just ran across this suitably Creepy GRRM post on The Chive:

http://thechive.com/2012/07/02/nailed-it-38-photos/nailed-it-44-34/

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SpaceMost posted:

The end of knights was by no means an inevitability. It was the result of huge changes in economics, science, engineering, etc. If you ever get a chance, watch the original Connections series (I think they're all up on YouTube) -- it gives a good idea of how bizarrely inter-connected things are, and how much needs to happen elsewhere in the world before some new invention can be realized:

Given the right cultural priorities or what-have-you, I don't think it's inconceivable that material culture remained relatively unchanged for thousands of years. It's happened with lots of cultures here on Earth.

e:
That being said, I think it's clear that GRRM is wholly unconcerned with accurate numbers, which is an interesting contrast to his attempts at creating realistic or believable personalities.

There's also the steam engine which there was a spinning device powered by steam in 1st Century Roman/Egypt. I always wonder how different things would be if they had figured out its potential back then.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Martin apparently has no idea what a "foot" is. Either that, or Westeros uses a different system of measurement that is nevertheless steeped in the same terminology. Unless there's some magic involved, Gregor Clegane would have serious heart problems and probably keel over by the time he's 35. Being athletic enough to be a knight, much less be exceptionally strong, would kill him. Gregor is supposed to be a foot taller than Andre the Giant. Think about that.

Unless Gregor is a Chaos Space Marine in disguise!

geeves posted:

There's also the steam engine which there was a spinning device powered by steam in 1st Century Roman/Egypt. I always wonder how different things would be if they had figured out its potential back then.

An engine would never have taken off in the ancient world, because they saw no value in labor saving devices. The only people with enough leisure time and a sufficient calorie intake to sit around thinking about things didn't need to save labor, they didn't do any.

The same thing is pretty much true of Westeros.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Given that there's no such thing as an objective POV in this series, it's possible that people just exaggerate because they're dumb. If he wants to lampshade it, he'll just make one of the maesters in Oldtown comment about how everyone misjudges distances and time.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ambiguatron posted:

An engine would never have taken off in the ancient world, because they saw no value in labor saving devices. The only people with enough leisure time and a sufficient calorie intake to sit around thinking about things didn't need to save labor, they didn't do any.

Perhaps you're correct, for leisure cruises. But considering a tactic used was ramming in naval warfare, I think if you can keep up a good velocity to easily take out other vessels it would be of much interest.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

geeves posted:

Perhaps you're correct, for leisure cruises. But considering a tactic used was ramming in naval warfare, I think if you can keep up a good velocity to easily take out other vessels it would be of much interest.

If you understand the concept of an engine, yes. If you think of motive power in terms of chained slaves performing a physical task, as in that case, it simply wouldn't occur to you.

The mindset of the ancient world is one of the reasons they didn't invent much in the way of machinery (other than simple machines) despite being far more advanced in mathematics, science, and even medicine than most people realize.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

geeves posted:

Wouldn't that require very refined engineering and metallurgy? Even if you understood the fundamentals of steam power, you'd need properly engineered gaskets, air-tight seals, boilers that can handle the pressure, strong enough metals for the cranks and axels, etc.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

SpaceMost posted:

Wouldn't that require very refined engineering and metallurgy? Even if you understood the fundamentals of steam power, you'd need properly engineered gaskets, air-tight seals, boilers that can handle the pressure, strong enough metals for the cranks and axels, etc.

That's actually the other reason steam engines didn't catch on even after a Greek invented a workable steam powered device and another Greek discovered differential gears and a Roman invented a valve similar to one used in actual steam engines. The metallurgy wasn't there, and more importantly, they didn't have anything to power it with.

You can't really build a steam powered rowboat, and the idea of connecting an engine to a series of gears and shafts that would turn a propeller wasn't there.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
The Greeks lacked fossil fuels; it was the portability, availability, and energy density of coal that made wide adoption of the steam engine possible.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

It was a combination of factors, any one of which would prevent the adoption of steam technology. All human innovation is a complex web of interdependence on time, place, availability of resources, previously existing inventions, cultural acceptance, and marketing. The idea of the lone inventor changing the world is a myth. :colbert:

Also people could and did run steam engines on wood, they just weren't very efficient.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Did anyone post that the Sword and Laser video interview with the GURM was posted? I'm watching it now, no WildCardsy questions yet, but I'm only a few minutes in.

Though he already said the phrase "San/San". Please elaborate into the tape recorder, George. :cop:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I wonder how much steampunk ASOIAF fan fiction Bran/Hodor slash fiction there is out there.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Not nearly enough.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

298298 posted:

It's a shame we'll never know Yoren's stance on automatic weapons.

That they're great, but take too long to reload. :colbert:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

thornghost posted:

Did anyone post that the Sword and Laser video interview with the GURM was posted? I'm watching it now, no WildCardsy questions yet, but I'm only a few minutes in.

Though he already said the phrase "San/San". Please elaborate into the tape recorder, George. :cop:

The good stuff starts at 13:45. :smithicide:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ambiguatron posted:

Martin apparently has no idea what a "foot" is. Either that, or Westeros uses a different system of measurement that is nevertheless steeped in the same terminology. Unless there's some magic involved, Gregor Clegane would have serious heart problems and probably keel over by the time he's 35. Being athletic enough to be a knight, much less be exceptionally strong, would kill him. Gregor is supposed to be a foot taller than Andre the Giant. Think about that.

Actually there were many different foot unit in the pre-industrial world, with the imperial one falling in the middle of the range. Belgian feet would give him the height of your average bouncer.

That or Martinworld has lower gravity.

Or it is fantasy.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Kuiperdolin posted:

Actually there were many different foot unit in the pre-industrial world, with the imperial one falling in the middle of the range. Belgian feet would give him the height of your average bouncer.

But wouldn't that make everyone else a Midget? And Tyrion would be smurf sized.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
My friend designed a thing:
http://www.behance.net/gallery/Sigils-of-the-Houses-of-Westeros-poster/4385899

I think it's pretty rad, maybe you will too. limited run poster series w/ gold foil stamped sigils.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Specifically no Manderlys? :catstare:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Urdnot Fire posted:

Specifically no Manderlys? :catstare:

haha, that's the comment everyone's made after seeing it... why Sunglass but not Manderly?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
It's because House Manderly's sigil is a spoiler.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

It's because House Manderly's sigil is a spoiler.

This is about that merman thing, isn't it?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

No Karstark? I'm disappointed.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Ambiguatron posted:

This is about that merman thing, isn't it?

Everytime someone brings up mermen I feel myself compelled to delve deeper into the labyrinthine set of clues the mighty GRRM has left us of the Ultimate Secret Plot.

quote:

House Manderly was originally a major noble house of the Reach, overseeing rich lands along the River Mander. Due to an unspecified incident, they were disgraced and exiled from the Reach a thousand years ago.

What is this "unspecified incident"? It sounds... fishy. What happened in those mysterious waters of the Reach so many years ago...

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

The Mutato posted:

Everytime someone brings up mermen I feel myself compelled to delve deeper into the labyrinthine set of clues the mighty GRRM has left us of the Ultimate Secret Plot.

What is this "unspecified incident"? It sounds... fishy. What happened in those mysterious waters of the Reach so many years ago...

lamprey == mermen. the clues are there.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Are you saying that lampreys are mermen and everyone in the GRRMiverse has just been cool with eating miniature (or baby) half-fish people? If so then why the hell would both the names lamprey or mermen exist, and why would it be necessary to distinguish between them when describing Manderly's sigil?

Or are you saying that lampreys are like perverted/devolutionary/gross baby versions of merpeople and thus in the GRRMiverse lamprey is just shorthand for "baby merperson"?

I'm honestly not sure which version of that I like less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

mind the walrus posted:

Are you saying that lampreys are mermen and everyone in the GRRMiverse has just been cool with eating miniature (or baby) half-fish people? If so then why the hell would both the names lamprey or mermen exist, and why would it be necessary to distinguish between them when describing Manderly's sigil?

Or are you saying that lampreys are like perverted/devolutionary/gross baby versions of merpeople and thus in the GRRMiverse lamprey is just shorthand for "baby merperson"?

I'm honestly not sure which version of that I like less.

I've said too much already :tinfoil: