Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Randy Blythe, the vocalist for Lamb of God, got arrested in Prague for manslaughter. I guess management hosed up big time by sending the band back to a country after killing a guy two years ago.

http://exclaim.ca/News/lamb_of_gods_randy_blythe_arrested_in_prague_for_manslaughter

edit: poo poo, top of page. Um, I don't think anyone's mentioned Forest of Fog yet.
double edit: I think I learned about FoF in one of the older metal threads. Oh well, it still kicks rear end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOKLcOcVnfY

BSchlang fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Friendly Reminder: Sodom Rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTIdkv6Wx5A

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The case against Randy is being mishandled because it seems to have been kept secret so that the internet and their management had no clue about it, and nobody at the show noticed anything worth taking a video of (at least not that has surfaced so far). The US has an extradition treaty with the Czech Republic and the proper way to handle it, but it seems that they didn't think they had sufficient evidence to request extradition for killing someone, so they just waited for the two year tour cycle to wrap back around.

Forest of Fog is great, and I really wish he found the time/inspiration to finish the next album while touring with some boring folk metal band. I like all four releases, but Rabenflug is my favorite, I think the music works perfectly without vocals there. I listen to FoF a lot while playing roguelike games.

To continue the trend of awesome music being posted, here's your daily dose of Liege Lord. US power metal rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGPfiQeSnik

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
You give 'em HELL because you're harder than steeeeeel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASlLZV4anU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I'll interview Jon Oliva's Pain and Arch Enemy tomorrow. Any questions for them? (in the case of AE, it's very unlikely that it'll be Angela)

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Weaponized Cum posted:

You give 'em HELL because you're harder than steeeeeel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASlLZV4anU

It's a Jag Panzer morning!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Non Serviam posted:

I'll interview Jon Oliva's Pain and Arch Enemy tomorrow. Any questions for them? (in the case of AE, it's very unlikely that it'll be Angela)
Was it awkward firing your old singer to replace him with your guitarist's girlfriend?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Non Serviam posted:

Depending on who you interview from Arch Enemy:

For Daniel Erlandsson: Last month marks the 20th anniversary of Eucharist's demo, something your bandmate Markus called "the best we've ever done", as well as being an underground favorite to this day. How do you reflect on that demo and the two Eucharist albums these days?

For Mike Amott: The clean production on your recent albums has emphasized your extremely accomplished, impressive lead work, while the less polished production on Arch Enemy's earlier albums, and the audible-but-rough sound on the Carcass and Carnage albums allows for emphasis on the rhythm playing as well as a darker atmosphere. Have you considered aiming for a darker, less polished atmosphere to accompany the darker and chaotic themes that Angela has conjured with her recent lyrics?

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

For Mike Amott: The clean production on your recent albums has emphasized your extremely accomplished, impressive lead work, while the less polished production on Arch Enemy's earlier albums, and the audible-but-rough sound on the Carcass and Carnage albums allows for emphasis on the rhythm playing as well as a darker atmosphere. Have you considered aiming for a darker, less polished atmosphere to accompany the darker and chaotic themes that Angela has conjured with her recent lyrics?

I think he left the band earlier this year.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Why did you bother rerecording all of your old Johan Liiva-era material if you were just going to gently caress up every single song anyway?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Bruce Boxliker posted:

I think he left the band earlier this year.

Chris left, not Mike.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

Non Serviam posted:

What sort of publication are you doing this for? Is it a purely music magaznine / site, or do you have some freedom? I write for a humor magazine, and I always like to ask questions that they're not expecting but wouldn't upset them and would be fun to answer. I asked Mikael Akerfeldt about telling dick jokes onstage, letting his daughters listen to death metal, and whether stuff like Morbid Angel will eventually become "dad rock". I got great answers, he seemed to actually be enjoying it (we ended up going 5 minutes longer than his manager had allotted). At the end he even said, "thanks for not being the 100th loving person to ask what equipment I use or who I'm listening to."

So yeah, my advice is that the best interviews happen when you make it fun for the subject. Think of stuff other than the bland, tired old "who are your influences", "what can we expect on the upcoming album", "tell me about your guitar endorsement" kind of poo poo that always get asked. One pretty tame question that usually gets good results is, "what's the craziest thing that's ever happened at a show or while on tour?"

Sorry that this isn't Arch Enemy specific, but I hope it helps.

edit: I feel like an rear end in a top hat for re-posting this (I've already whored it out in this thread plus the prog and Opeth threads), but in case it helps, here's a video of the interview. I'm kind of a giddy nerd in it, but it didn't seem to bother him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rqh7l4BKaI

BSchlang fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 30, 2012

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure Arch Enemy is pretty tired hearing questions about having a :siren: FEMALE SINGER :siren: .

I love listening to Arch Enemy when I am anxious for some reason (such as before a job interview) and they calm my nerves a bit. I don't know why that is. As for questions, I am kind of curious what metal musicians listen to recently, what kind of hobbies they like to do outside of music, stuff I am sure are stock questions. If you want something fun or different, some topics might be that Sweden won the Eurovision Song Contest which is not really metal but whatever, and that their lyrics and some of their official music videos (such as in Yesterday Is Dead And Gone) seem to be a theme about revolts/revolutions. I was wondering what they thought of the riots going on in the world today, such as the Arab Spring or the Quebec Student Strikes.

I don't know much about JOP but the only question I have would probably upset them and really only is for Jon Oliver. Basically I was wondering if in the last two recordings he has reworked songs that he made with his brother (who apparently died in 93 by a car accident) added an element to the band. Also the death of his guitarist, then the death of one of his heroes (Dio)...Just wow.

Also why do metal musicians die in car crashes all the time when they aren't the ones drinking?

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 30, 2012

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
DEATH TO ALL in Orlando tonight!

For all you people that want to say hello, I've decided on my Lock Up shirt which says "Seven Churches on Vinyl or gently caress Off!" on the back. I figure that's from a tour that didn't come here, so it's pretty easy to find. :P

Otherwise, yes, I'm generic and short and blonde. Say hello!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dead Man Posting posted:

Also why do metal musicians die in car crashes all the time when they aren't the ones drinking?
Live by metal, die by metal.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
We haven't used the turntable in a while

http://turntable.fm/4fb12a77aaa5cd094500001b

Anyone?

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
So apparently Brutality have reformed. Not much info so far apart from them talking about some compilation release or something...but I'd love to see em live, if not a tour then maybe play next years MDF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndNDatBNzE4

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 1, 2012

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
http://www.vice.com/read/atlas-hoods-botswanas-cowboy-metalheads?Contentpage=1

This is a kind of cool article that looks at some of the clothing styles arising from the Botswana metal scene. Pretty rad duds.

And some accompanying music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVXs7EBaHA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OhOV6NVzSI

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Those dudes are legit.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Ask Arch Enemy if they're comfortable admitting they've been a commercial vehicle their entire existence, going basically against the basic tenets of the underground scene they attempt to cash in on. Since day one they've basically been a "supergroup" riding the waves of the melodeath scene, the later additions of a female singer and just about every possible piece of merch going are nothing but blatant cash/attention grabbing attempts.

You might ask well ask Michael if keeping all his decent music for spiritual beggars is a deliberate or subconscious decision.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

I'm pretty sure I shot this dude for his twinkies in Fallout

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 1, 2012

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

Bizarro Michael Jackson.
e: For the first couple seconds of looking at this photo, I thought it was a video game screenshot; having not read the post, first.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

That's pretty awesome. It's also sad that in some town in an African country I couldn't pick out on a map, they have a bigger metal scene than my town.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

nuncle jimbo posted:

I'm pretty sure I shot this dude for his twinkies in Fallout

I thought exactly this when I saw that.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Haggins posted:

That's pretty awesome. It's also sad that in some town in an African country I couldn't pick out on a map, they have a bigger metal scene than my town.

I think they may have a bigger metal following than my state.

And they look boss while doing it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Holy gently caress they must be sweating their assess off.

Well, except for Morgue Boss.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was going to make a joke about Botswana being a wasteland like in Fallout 3 but it actually looks alright. At least better than Arizona.

Anyways here is some Norwegian folk with Lars from Myrkgrav making an appearance. I think Voluspaa is somehow involved too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_459-uvPeY

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 2, 2012

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
New album from Blood of the Black Owl! http://bindrunerecordings.bandcamp.com/album/light-the-fires

I'm not sure about the party-horn-esque sound effects at the start of the first track, but I adored A Banishing Ritual, so I'll give it a chance.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
The interviews with Arch Enemy, Obituary and Jon Oliva went very well.

I will now interview (sadly, only by e-mail) Varg Vikernes. I will not ask about the murder, so don't ask. Anything else you want to know, and not just trolling him, let me know.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Have all the songs/albums he's released since getting out get recorded, or at least written, at the same time?

How does he feel about how "Until the Light Takes Us" treated the interviews he gave?

Has he seen or talked to Fenriz since he got out?

Does his wife like/let him do those grief stricken wails he did on the first albums when they're loving? :black101:

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I bought myself tickets to see Iron Maiden on July 30th for my 18th birthday. It's pretty cool and sentimental because I've been an Iron Maiden fan since I was at least three. It'll be pretty exciting. Anyone else going to the Seattle show?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Non Serviam posted:

I will now interview (sadly, only by e-mail) Varg Vikernes. I will not ask about the murder, so don't ask. Anything else you want to know, and not just trolling him, let me know.

Again not really music realted:

Has he continued learning Russian? Is he still living in Norway? Any hobbies he has been doing recently?

Probably a provoking one but I've always been curious: is his entire existence an elaborate troll? Or just his socio-political positions?

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 2, 2012

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Non Serviam posted:

Dunno how to word the question but...

I haven't kept up with interviews since he got out of jail, so if you've seen this answered nevermind, but I remember seeing that the last black metal he heard was a Darkthrone album(I think) from years ago. Has he listened to anything newer since then, or is he still in his own little black metal world? (Has he heard something awful like Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth and facepalmed, haha)

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Dead Man Posting posted:

Again not really music realted:

Has he continued learning Russian? Is he still living in Norway? Any hobbies he has been doing recently?

Probably a provoking one but I've always been curious: is his entire existence an elaborate troll? Or just his socio-political positions?

We already know about Varg's hobbies

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Where do you think mankind will be in 50 years?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Non Serviam posted:

How's that RPG coming along?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I have two extremely goony/nerdy questions for Varg!

Question #1: In the introduction to "Sorcery and Religion in Ancient Scandinavia", you wrote:

"When you encounter such apparent "mistakes" made by me you need to accept them as correct, and keep reading until you realise that my interpretation is in fact correct... Academics tend to disregard every book written without reference to specific sources; this book probably is such a book, but I have to defend it by saying that I cannot list sources when the ideas are my own, the interpretations are my own and the conclusions are my own."

In the Burzum.org interview from June 2012, you wrote:

"There is no atheism, by the way. Everyone believe in something as if it was a religion to them, be it deities, or principles or the evolution or whatever."

Do you subscribe to the concept of scientific skepticism, which certifies knowledge through quantifiable research and reproducibility? What sort of system or systems of religion and/or science do you tend to agree with?

Question #2: What do you think of Carl Sagan?

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 2, 2012

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Dead Man Posting posted:

Is he still living in Norway?

Last I read he is, he's out in the countryside to avoid people. Telemark, I think it was called...

Why is it unbelievable his views are what they say they are?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Morbid Florist posted:

Last I read he is, he's out in the countryside to avoid people. Telemark, I think it was called...

Why is it unbelievable his views are what they say they are?

Reading his letter that was written about Anders Behring Breivik reminds me of an elaborate troll post to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

That farm was apparently sold, and recently he has mentioned that his wife is French and he likes the countryside of France. He has signed his recent writings from Bergen.

For posterity, here's some awesome black/death metal made by some guys who don't preach racism or deny climate change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY8lYl8cp_o

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 2, 2012