Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Seeking investors for Super Mario Combover. I have already done the hard work (grown out an incredible excess of matted, straw-like hair from the very top of my head) and have already hired a team of 8 to figure out ways to assemble my wispy thatch into a reasonable facsimile of a human hairstyle, but here's the issue: these people need to eat, and apparently they don't like sebum and keratin very much. So I'm faced with a conundrum, Code Red and Burger King are expensive. So I need you to give me ten thousand dollars, and once you've done that, and I look like a goblin in a cool wig, I will say "yahoo" and "mamma mia" repeatedly on justin.tv at 2:30 EST each afternoon for 6 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Unbeknowsnt posted:

Terrible stuff.

How have you gotten 23k from this?

I don't think there was even any gameplay videos....also cut your hair, hippy.

Edit: At least he didn't start a new thread, right?

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

SupSuper posted:

You're not one for posting in general except when it's to advertise everywhere and copy-paste so bluntly you didn't even check if the links still worked.

Also if you had read the thread, you'd have seen we've already discussed and dismissed that project, so you have to do better than that to reassure us.

Links work fine for me. I updated them just in case. Yeah, I'm spreading the word and I used the same message. Glad you have a problem with that. Makes me smile.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

SupSuper posted:

You're not one for posting in general except when it's to advertise everywhere and copy-paste so bluntly you didn't even check if the links still worked.

Hahaha, holy poo poo, Jesus.

Edit: Ooh, a puppet master. That's as original and interesting as that project there!

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Unbeknowsnt posted:

Links work fine for me. I updated them just in case. Yeah, I'm spreading the word and I used the same message. Glad you have a problem with that. Makes me smile.

Cool original characters bro

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

Dragonrah posted:

Edit: At least he didn't start a new thread, right?

Wrong

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Unbeknowsnt posted:

Links work fine for me. I updated them just in case.
You do realize someone quoted your post before you edited it, right? And that the links are clearly broken?

Please tell me this link you posted successfully goes to your kickstarter page. :allears:

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

Unbeknowsnt posted:

Yeah, I'm spreading the word and I used the same message. Glad you have a problem with that. Makes me smile.

Yes, this is the exact response needed towards someone raising serious issues in your 'marketing strategy' that further cements the obvious, complete disinterest you have in the community you're trying to advertise in.

Your time is probably better spent making up another stretch goal about adding a credits screen.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Steve Glutenberg posted:

Seeking investors for Super Mario Combover. I have already done the hard work (grown out an incredible excess of matted, straw-like hair from the very top of my head) and have already hired a team of 8 to figure out ways to assemble my wispy thatch into a reasonable facsimile of a human hairstyle, but here's the issue: these people need to eat, and apparently they don't like sebum and keratin very much. So I'm faced with a conundrum, Code Red and Burger King are expensive. So I need you to give me ten thousand dollars, and once you've done that, and I look like a goblin in a cool wig, I will say "yahoo" and "mamma mia" repeatedly on justin.tv at 2:30 EST each afternoon for 6 weeks.

I laughed so hard as this you wouldn't believe it.

Unbeknownst, your hair is really bad.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Is all that money coming from reddit or something. I mean this just sounds like a bad flash game.

How do people spend money on things like this I just don't understand.

10k to add achievements. How? Why? Who is going to play this game?

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

Davincie posted:

This point and click retro 50's adventure with space travel thing looks pretty:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warbirdgames/jack-houston-and-the-necronauts?ref=category

This looks amazing. Pledged $110 because I'm a dirty foreigner.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

AllanGordon posted:

Is all that money coming from reddit or something. I mean this just sounds like a bad flash game.

How do people spend money on things like this I just don't understand.

10k to add achievements. How? Why? Who is going to play this game?
Why can't that money be funneled into something like Retrovirus :smith:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Urdnot Fire posted:

Boardgames get $700,000 but no-one wants a Descent update :smith:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Carecat posted:

Boardgames get $700,000 but no-one wants a Descent update :smith:

Oh, c'mon, don't go there. Next you'll be saying that iPod docks kickstarters do X instead of Y project that is struggling. Don't compare apples to oranges.

Personally, I don't think the Retrovirus people managed their KS properly. If they had that alpha demo and the video to show to the media right at the start it would probably have picked up. Xenonauts did it and got quite successful.

It's becoming obvious that if you are not a big name, you need to have a really cool concept or a nostalgic one with a lot of work already done to show the world right away and use the money just to finish the game.

gently caress that Retro Squad flash game, though.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Personally, I don't think the Retrovirus people managed their KS properly. If they had that alpha demo and the video to show to the media right at the start it would probably have picked up. Xenonauts did it and got quite successful.

I can't even figure out what they need $75k for and their Kickstarter doesn't adequately explain it. I know game development is expensive but they torpedo themselves by stating that with successful funding, they can add another hour of gameplay. Cinematics and voice acting don't even look required in the videos they have shown. A large scale beta is already a given with most any Kickstarter that gets funded and doesn't cost much to run. Also, for all their talk, the Kickstarter rewards don't actually say anywhere that you're going to get the mod tools. It also sounds like they have plans to sell them:

cydereal posted:

If we fail, we will likely release a stripped down single player and complete multiplayer while using incoming revenue on the editor and the final bits of the campaign. We'd release officially as a beta.

edit: The alpha also runs like poo poo on my machine that has no trouble with BF3 at 1920x1200.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 30, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Unbeknowsnt posted:

I can already tell you're destined for great things with this attitude. Have fun spending all your scam money.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Dead State jumped 7-8k in about 9 hours so things are looking good we'll hit most of the goals.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dragonrah posted:

Dead State jumped 7-8k in about 9 hours so things are looking good we'll hit most of the goals.

Holy crap. Where did that extra boost come from? Did they get some kind of amazing press namedrop or is it just the end-days boom starting early?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Obsurveyor posted:

Also, for all their talk, the Kickstarter rewards don't actually say anywhere that you're going to get the mod tools. It also sounds like they have plans to sell them:

If we fail, we will likely release a stripped down single player and complete multiplayer while using incoming revenue on the editor and the final bits of the campaign. We'd release officially as a beta.
I think they're going to "use incoming revenue" on the editor and the multiplayer, not "use incoming revenue on the editor" for the multiplayer. If they were going to charge for the editor it would probably say "use incoming revenue FROM the editor."

octoroon posted:

Holy crap. Where did that extra boost come from? Did they get some kind of amazing press namedrop or is it just the end-days boom starting early?
It probably came from the same place that every final Kickstarter boost comes from: all the people waiting until it's almost over.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

octoroon posted:

One person with money.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I think they're going to "use incoming revenue" on the editor and the multiplayer, not "use incoming revenue on the editor" for the multiplayer. If they were going to charge for the editor it would probably say "use incoming revenue FROM the editor."
Oh durr, that makes a lot more sense.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Urdnot Fire posted:

I refuse to support something with so much influence from TotalBiscuit, for what it's worth. :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dragonrah posted:

…now if they could only take a firm stance on supporting other platforms. :choco:

cydereal
Jun 19, 2012

It's eSports. Hooray eSports!

Obsurveyor posted:

I can't even figure out what they need $75k for and their Kickstarter doesn't adequately explain it. I know game development is expensive but they torpedo themselves by stating that with successful funding, they can add another hour of gameplay. Cinematics and voice acting don't even look required in the videos they have shown. A large scale beta is already a given with most any Kickstarter that gets funded and doesn't cost much to run. Also, for all their talk, the Kickstarter rewards don't actually say anywhere that you're going to get the mod tools. It also sounds like they have plans to sell them:

edit: The alpha also runs like poo poo on my machine that has no trouble with BF3 at 1920x1200.

It's less that we need the money to "add an hour," so much as we're going to lose an hour or so of content that we haven't already started.

The main reason we're kickstarting is to get our tools out. If we can finish the tools to a releasable standard over the next six months, we're giving them away. We also need more development time to polish the game; things like bindable controls, joystick support and performance concerns.

We've probably already failed. I have some more media coming, but the biggest media outlets we've had have all been stretched to get us between $4k and $7k. No idea what it takes to get us over now. We'd need one of the media guys like RPS who have sat on the sidelines to get behind us.

HEVampersand
Apr 2, 2005

Do you even own a toothbrush?
I backed Dead State but have been wondering what stretch goal still has a lot of other goon backers still interested in hitting. I don't understand the big deal about animals being included so that rules out the 330k for me. I really would love for the kickstarter to hit 300k though and that's looking like a tall order considering how slowly its gone over the last couple days.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

The post-release modifiers at $260k interest me the most (which is good since it should hit that just fine). The zones of control and whatever other gameplay options at $360k could be good too but it's hard to say given the lack of info.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

HEVampersand posted:

I backed Dead State but have been wondering what stretch goal still has a lot of other goon backers still interested in hitting. I don't understand the big deal about animals being included so that rules out the 330k for me. I really would love for the kickstarter to hit 300k though and that's looking like a tall order considering how slowly its gone over the last couple days.

Yeah, I'd love to hit 300k for the city, but I'm not holding my breath. Animals? Meh. But the city sounds cool.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
Ancient Domains of Mystery

http://www.indiegogo.com/resurrect-adom-development

Creator of ADOM (a classic roguelike) want to resume the development of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KBYzELBqUE

:siren: It uses fixed funding which means it works exactly like Kickstarter so no excuses! :siren:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Mq posted:

Ancient Domains of Mystery

http://www.indiegogo.com/resurrect-adom-development

Creator of ADOM (a classic roguelike) want to resume the development of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KBYzELBqUE

:siren: It uses fixed funding which means it works exactly like Kickstarter so no excuses! :siren:
His tiers are kinda poo poo, but my absolute favorite part is the final one, which is such an audacious answer to the people who want him to release the source:

quote:

$50,000
Demigod

As above and receive the hard bound source code of ADOM for your personal perusal (that's probably something like 10 big tomes of source code). I personally will deliver the books to wherever you live and spend a weekend talking about ADOM, ADOM II, etc. with you if desired. Please understand that you will be required to sign an NDA with this collectors item to not distribute the content.

I like ADOM a lot but I don't think I can see myself donating for this, biskup hasn't worked on the game in what, ten years? And JADE took how long to materialize? He doesn't really have a proven track record. I don't doubt he'll make his goal though, I just doubt that we'll see anything worthwhile from it.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 2, 2012

Catalina
May 20, 2008

HEVampersand posted:

I've donated $20. I'm most interested in hitting $260k (More Character Creation Options, More Zombie Variety, Post-Release Game Modifiers) and $330k (Animals Added, Dog Allies Added). I have pet dogs in real life, so I think dog allies would be pretty rad, plus I think animals would add some more depth to the world, and I like things that add more depth and flavor to the characters and gameplay.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
I think it'll hit 300k easy, maybe 330k, but I don't think it will get the last goal. That wont be too disappointing since they probably can/will add it if the game sells well upon release.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

His tiers are kinda poo poo, but my absolute favorite part is the final one, which is such an audacious answer to the people who want him to release the source:

I like ADOM a lot but I don't think I can see myself donating for this, biskup hasn't worked on the game in what, ten years? And JADE took how long to materialize? He doesn't really have a proven track record. I don't doubt he'll make his goal though, I just doubt that we'll see anything worthwhile from it.

I remember way back, sometime before the game went to 'gamma' testing (more than beta, not quite release), when people were being dickholes over demanding cheat codes and save scumming, pointing out that they could put that stuff in when he released the source. So he turned around and announced that plan was no longer on the table. I think it was one of the first big belly-laughs the Internet gave me.

Then I got bored with the project, got tired of waiting for JADE, and now the idea of him needing fifty thousand bucks to develop a roguelike just makes me giggle quietly.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

HEVampersand posted:

I don't understand the big deal about animals being included so that rules out the 330k for me.
If it makes a difference, one large bit of Brian's plan for including animals in Dead State is to allow scavenger parties to bring dogs along for help.

Brian Mitsoda posted:

Dogs aren't affected by whatever reanimates humans. In fact, the zombies don't even care about animals unless they happen to be in the way of the zombie and a human or the animal is attacking the zombie. Dogs are great at knowing when zombies or other humans are around before human party members. They are also great at distracting zombies and intimidating other human survivors.

Trust me, you want dogs.

Also cats. Yeah, cats aren't party members but they raise morale in the shelter by being cats, killing rats, and sniping targets from the roof of the shelter. Okay, one of those isn't a thing.

There's a few other animals that are handy to have in the shelter.

About 70 hours left for Dead State, it looks like we have started to see the end bump. They've raised over $10,000 so far today as opposed to just under $5,000 yesterday. The $10,000 pledged the day before that was half funded by one person who went in for $5,000, today seems to be largely made of people upgrading their pledges. Only $7,600 away from the $240,000 goal so we'll probably see that hit early tomorrow.

There is a new update about the end-run for the Dead State kickstarter. Here is the important bit I think:

Doublebear posted:

So, how close are we to our stretch goals? Let’s break it down. As of this morning:
  • The $240 tier could be reached for less than $2 per backer.
  • The $260 tier could be reached for less than $5 per backer.
  • The $300 tier could be reached for about $9 per backer.
  • The $330 tier could be reached for less than $14 per backer.
  • The $360 tier could be reached for about $17 per backer.
So, essentially you’d pay about $17 for all of those new features such as animals, lots more animations and character models, new allies, a city, and an actual expansion with zones of control, new weapons, new characters, and a new story/campaign. Or, to put it another way, paying $17 now would be about the retail price + $2 for all of those features. And pledging now on Kickstarter would guarantee we’d get it into the game.

And remember, Kickstarter allows you to pledge any amount and still choose a reward at or lower than your pledge level. Only have a few bucks to pledge? You can do that. Though if you’re still considering the higher tiers, let me restate the following
  • The Splendid Box now comes with ALL tiers $250 and higher.
  • The Splendid Box will not be available after the Kickstarter.
  • The NPC/zombie portraits will show up on characters/zombies in the game!
  • The personal story at the $2000 level will show up as a collectible piece of data in the game, and Brian will personally work with you on it.
  • The $5000 tier includes an Executive Producer credit on the game!
  • Everyone who pledges for any amount will get a Dead State wallpaper.
  • Don’t forget to add the proper shipping for orders outside the US and Canada.
  • We will pull our beta testers from the highest backers first. We will probably have several stages of testing.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I never understood why a game taking place a few weeks after a zombie invasion wouldn't already have a "City" zone, it seems pretty important.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Varinn posted:

I never understood why a game taking place a few weeks after a zombie invasion wouldn't already have a "City" zone, it seems pretty important.

I imagine that "city" refers to the big city outside of the main "town" where the game takes place.

A small town is a great place for a Zombie game, so excursions to the 'big city' could fit in really well.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I'm actually surprised by the vitriol against Super Retro Squad or whatever. SMBC was super fun and an interesting take on nostalgia and platformers, and finding out he was planning on making a new game with new stages and everything was exciting for me at least. :(

I mean, his hair sucks and he obviously registered just to back his game and that sucks, but I don't see the hate for the game itself, especially since it sounds like it's not just going to be SMBC with different sprites.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Falcon2001 posted:

I'm actually surprised by the vitriol against Super Retro Squad or whatever. SMBC was super fun and an interesting take on nostalgia and platformers, and finding out he was planning on making a new game with new stages and everything was exciting for me at least. :(

I mean, his hair sucks and he obviously registered just to back his game and that sucks, but I don't see the hate for the game itself, especially since it sounds like it's not just going to be SMBC with different sprites.

Goons hate goons, film at 11

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
That dude's not a goon though?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
Cult has met it's final stretch goal, it's a shame the guy's probably asleep and can't put a few more up. He's still got 3 days to go. With some really great stretch goals I reckon he can hit $40K, maybe even $50K since it's a prettier number.

I looked this morning and it was on $21K meaning he had $4K pledged today alone :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Tufty posted:

Cult has met it's final stretch goal, it's a shame the guy's probably asleep and can't put a few more up. He's still got 3 days to go. With some really great stretch goals I reckon he can hit $40K, maybe even $50K since it's a prettier number.

I looked this morning and it was on $21K meaning he had $4K pledged today alone :3:

I just donated $15. Looks really cool.