Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

nwin posted:

However, the taste before the was great- it was so full and creamy...and it just doesn't taste the same through the coffee dripper. Now I've never tasted French press coffee before, but does the above describe how it tastes, since there's no real filter media? How can I emulate that taste? Am I just a complete loving weirdo?
Yeah you should probably try French press, but if you have a really cheap grinder you'll get lots of sediment because the grind won't be consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

nwin posted:

Ok, so I've found the settings that work best for the coffee dripper and I've been
However, the taste before the was great- it was so full and creamy...and it just doesn't taste the same through the coffee dripper. Now I've never tasted French press coffee before, but does the above describe how it tastes, since there's no real filter media? How can I emulate that taste? Am I just a complete loving weirdo?

Try a metal filter, the paper tends to filter out the oil alongside the grounds.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bobx66 posted:

Try a metal filter, the paper tends to filter out the oil alongside the grounds.

That's not a thing. You lose a bit of the surface oils but the vast majority of them are dispersed in the coffee. If it "filtered out the oils" then your coffee would not have any aroma. What you actually taste as "aggressive" in a presspot is the suspended coffee fines, not the oils.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I used a friend's Nuova Simonelli Oscar last weekend quite a bit and liked it quite a bit.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm thinking about buying a french press because at my flat we just have a Senseo machine. I went to some stores and found a small 3–cup french press by Bodum that seemed nice (25€) and this seemed like a perfect size for me because I'd only ever make coffee for me, maybe at most one other person. But right next to it was the store brand model that was also the same size just looking a bit different. But from what I could tell by looking at the filter and such inside, they were the same thing. This one was maybe 15€ cheaper too. Is there any reason to go for one or the other?

I guess I would also need a grinder too. Just how important is it to find a 'burr' grinder actually? Because it seems like these are really expensive over here, like 100+ € expensive, and as much as I like coffee I don't like it that much. I guess a cheaper option if I must get a burr grinder is to get the Hario Mini Mill that was in the OP. Even then this one is 40€ online. How long does it take to grind 1 cup of coffee and is it annoying?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm thinking about buying a french press because at my flat we just have a Senseo machine. I went to some stores and found a small 3–cup french press by Bodum that seemed nice (25€) and this seemed like a perfect size for me because I'd only ever make coffee for me, maybe at most one other person. But right next to it was the store brand model that was also the same size just looking a bit different. But from what I could tell by looking at the filter and such inside, they were the same thing. This one was maybe 15€ cheaper too. Is there any reason to go for one or the other?

I guess I would also need a grinder too. Just how important is it to find a 'burr' grinder actually? Because it seems like these are really expensive over here, like 100+ € expensive, and as much as I like coffee I don't like it that much. I guess a cheaper option if I must get a burr grinder is to get the Hario Mini Mill that was in the OP. Even then this one is 40€ online. How long does it take to grind 1 cup of coffee and is it annoying?

I recently got a Hario Mini Mill for around £25 from a UK company called coffee hit. Like you I'm using it with a french press.

I'd estimate it takes about 1-2 minutes of grinding for a cup, but I've not timed it, the thing is there's quite a bit of play on the burrs so grind is not that consistent, it's still better than the pre-ground I tried though. The reason I say this is that you end up with a silty sludge in the bottom of your cup when you're using a press with a metal filter.

Grinding is a bit of a pain, as people will probably say you won't want to do it when you're first waking up, but that's OK for me as I'm usually having my first cup late afternoon. However I'm not a particularly sophisticated coffee drinker so if someone says this is dumb maybe give their post more heed.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Boris Galerkin posted:

The cheap press pot I had seemed to have far thinner glass (proven when I broke it while washing up). If the glass seems about the same thickness as the Bodum and the metal mesh filter fits tightly, you're probably good to go. Make sure the screw pieces to hold the press part together aren't plastic as they'll strip (had this happen on a Bodum in fact).

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you're resistant to getting a grinder then maybe just order small amounts of preroasted, pregrinded coffee from a reputable roaster who roasts right before/around the time they ship? That way you can still enjoy good coffee in your French press without shelling out $80-150 for a refurb burr grinder. If you find yourself enjoying coffee more then you can always get that later.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
I've been using a hand grinder for a while and even manage it in the mornings! I just start when my kettle has boiled and by the time I'm done the water is a better brewing temperature. It's not that inconvenient when I'm going to be spending a few minutes waiting for it to brew anyway!

Boznia
Apr 5, 2010
I just purchased an Encore Baratza grinder from amazon and it arrived in the mail today. I took it out of the box, set it on my counter, and plugged it in. I turned it on, and nothing happened. I took off the hopper, put it back on, made sure everything is where it should be, and it still won't turn on. Anyone have any suggestions or experiences like this?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Boznia posted:

I just purchased an Encore Baratza grinder from amazon and it arrived in the mail today. I took it out of the box, set it on my counter, and plugged it in. I turned it on, and nothing happened. I took off the hopper, put it back on, made sure everything is where it should be, and it still won't turn on. Anyone have any suggestions or experiences like this?
Check out the troubleshooting section on their website. It doesn't look like the Encore specifically has a section, but look at instructions for a similar grinder. It'll show how to take it apart if need be.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
if it's anything like the Vario you really have to crank the hopper on tighter than you think you should the very first time

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So I just bought a 3 cup Bodum french press, and I'm really not sure how much coffee powder to put into it for one cup of coffee. It came with a scoop but I don't know what size it is either.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I just bought a 3 cup Bodum french press, and I'm really not sure how much coffee powder to put into it for one cup of coffee. It came with a scoop but I don't know what size it is either.

The instructions for my teapot say the scoop is 1/4 oz and I think it's the same as the one from my french press... which I don't use it for. I just kind of guess when I grind. Which you really should be doing with a french press, grinding yourself or getting it ground as coarse as is available usually. Drip grind will probably taste off no matter what you try. As for how much, it will vary by coffee and your taste preference; usually I've heard to try a tablespoon to 6 oz or so and start going up if that's too weak or doesn't taste right.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Can we put some more stuff in the OP? It seems like the last few pages have been "Hey guys, I want good coffee but Im not willing to do any of the suggestions that everyone will give you in this thread (like buy a decent grinder first, fresh coffee, get a scale etc. etc.). Like I know most of us dont want to come off as some pretentious twats like some people in the coffee world do, but it seems sometimes no one actually is willing to take the advice given here.

The OP is pretty detailed, but maybe we could add in a little FAQ?

Some suggested FAQ:

-Whats a good cheap grinder to start out with?

-What are some good ratios of water to coffee for french press, pourover, clever, etc.

-Im lazy and I dont want to nerd it up like everyone here, damnit I just want a decent cup of joe. A: get a coffee press and grinder.

etc.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

spoon0042 posted:

The instructions for my teapot say the scoop is 1/4 oz and I think it's the same as the one from my french press... which I don't use it for. I just kind of guess when I grind. Which you really should be doing with a french press, grinding yourself or getting it ground as coarse as is available usually. Drip grind will probably taste off no matter what you try. As for how much, it will vary by coffee and your taste preference; usually I've heard to try a tablespoon to 6 oz or so and start going up if that's too weak or doesn't taste right.

I bought coffee beans from the roaster but had the lady grind them at the store because I don't have a grinder yet. So far I've had two cups of coffee. One with one scoop (I checked and it is 1/4 oz) and then just now I had another with 2 scoops. The first one tasted too much like water to me, but this second one I would say tasted more like coffee. It's a bit smoother than I'm used to though but I'm not sure if that's the coffee, the press, not enough coffee grinds, or whatever. Tomorrow morning I'll probably just try 3 scoops because it couldn't hurt. Christ though 6 oz just seems like an insane amount, that's 24 scoops wit this spoon and seems like it would fill up half or more of the glass.

Edit: How do I made cold coffee with this if possible? It's a bit hot in the office at the moment so warm coffee is one of the last things I want to drink at work, but I need the caffeine.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 4, 2012

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Er, I meant a tablespoon of coffee to 6 oz of water. :) It's generally one to two tbsp though. Or maybe one "heaping" to two "flat". It's not an exact science... though it seems like it can be for some people, I don't put that much effort into it.
And yeah, the scoop says "7 grams / 0.25 oz per cup", whatever a "cup" is. Cold brew isn't something I've tried either.

...agreed there could be a bit more or a faq to the OP.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Guys, just invest in a cheap scale. Honestly, it makes your life so much easier when you can use actual grams (or mini furlong yard pound or whatever the gently caress you non-metric users use) instead of eyeballing a scoop when coffee size is always different from roast to beans to whatever. You can buy a cheap Escali Primo for $40 for a decent one, or hell, go to a thrift store, and find a cheap $5 electronic scale and just test to see if it works, and bam, never have to deal with trying to figure out all this teaspoon crap. I know it sounds spergy but its just easier

Also, never have to use a measuring cup since you can just pour water over a TARE'd scale instead. I cheaped out for months using scoops and poo poo, finally switched to a scale and making coffee is both better, and more importantly for us lazy asses, easier.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.
I don't see much talk on roasters. I bought myself a Behmor 1600 a couple months ago. Kind of expensive (you can get a refurb one cheaper from these guys http://shop.chocolatealchemy.com/products/behmor-1600-roaster) but it works great, also doubles as a chocolate roaster. It'll do a full pound of coffee, which was the reason I got it.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

swagger like us posted:

Guys, just invest in a cheap scale.

Seriously. I get treated like some ultra-sperg coffee nerd if I ever mention using a scale for coffee brewing. Unless you really, really don't give a poo poo about your coffee (i.e. eyeball random amounts of coffee and water), it's far less time-consuming to just stick your brewer on a scale than it is to measure stuff by volume.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yes. Dumb not to have a scale.

I have this $20 model:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-SC-2KG-Digital-Pocket/dp/B001RF3XJ2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1341436612&sr=8-9

Precision down to the 10th of a gram. No drift and very repeatable results. Highly recommended.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
What can I do to reduce astringency? That seems like what it is based on the description. It seems less noticeable as the coffee cools down. I've tried different brew times without effect, and cleaning all my equipment doesn't help.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

dema posted:

Yes. Dumb not to have a scale.

I have this $20 model:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-SC-2KG-Digital-Pocket/dp/B001RF3XJ2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1341436612&sr=8-9

Precision down to the 10th of a gram. No drift and very repeatable results. Highly recommended.
I use this scale multiple times daily, and it is really fantastic. I wish it updated faster, because sometimes when I want to be ultra precise it can be spergy annoying to pour 501 grams when I'm slowing my pour, but I mean, I bought it for $10 on sale so that is hardly a down point

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Boris Galerkin posted:

I had a 3-cup one before it broke, and I usually just put in two scoops. It says on the scooper "7g/cup", but (and I don't know why) a coffee cup is 4oz.

It says '3 cups' but I could get at most 9-10oz of coffee at the most (a little under 2 cups).

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
An odd question, but what type of brewer would produce the least amount of aroma during brewing? My wife can't stand the smell of coffee at all (but is ok with me drinking it after it has been brewed) and I would like to start brewing my own at home.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Not a CCD.

Maybe a french press, maybe, with a tight lid.

scythide
Aug 8, 2003

Normal?
Cold brew (toddy-style) or espresso

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Thanks for the tips, I will have to give a try

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I currently have the Cuisineart burr grinder, but I'm thinking about upgrading. I mostly use Aeropress and Chemex, with a little french-press thrown in occasionally. No espresso machine and no plans to get one. Should the Barataza Encore be OK for what I need? Should I get the Capresso Infinity instead? I don't really want to do the Virtuoso or up, they seem more geared to espresso which doesn't help me.

Also, Baratza refurbs are sold out right now, but how much cheaper are they than the new ones?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Dramatika posted:

I currently have the Cuisineart burr grinder, but I'm thinking about upgrading. I mostly use Aeropress and Chemex, with a little french-press thrown in occasionally. No espresso machine and no plans to get one. Should the Barataza Encore be OK for what I need? Should I get the Capresso Infinity instead? I don't really want to do the Virtuoso or up, they seem more geared to espresso which doesn't help me.

Also, Baratza refurbs are sold out right now, but how much cheaper are they than the new ones?

I'd get the Baratza Encore. It'll be plenty capable of doing all that you're talking about. I have the Capresso Infinity and got to use the Encore a month ago and definitely liked it better. I didn't really get to test it for fine grinds which would have been the real test, but I can tell you that it's a hell of a lot quieter and I like the way their grind container is set up, though it is a lot smaller than the Infinity's. This shouldn't really be much of a problem though as it can still easily fit a 10-cup drip brewers worth in it. The only time I think it would ever be annoying is if you were trying to grind a full lb of coffee for someone.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Ouroborus posted:

I don't see much talk on roasters. I bought myself a Behmor 1600 a couple months ago. Kind of expensive (you can get a refurb one cheaper from these guys http://shop.chocolatealchemy.com/products/behmor-1600-roaster) but it works great, also doubles as a chocolate roaster. It'll do a full pound of coffee, which was the reason I got it.

This badboy is the poo poo:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Ouroborus posted:

I got a Freshroast SR500 for Christmas and I love it. It definitely won't do large batches, but 90% of the time I roast it's for my personal consumption anyway so the small batches are fine. It roasts about 1/3 cup of raw beans per batch which is about 6 servings worth. If I do a full lb, which I've only done once it takes about 6 batches to do it, so if you're looking for something to do larger batches it's definitely not the right option. For me the size is perfect though. I usually do two batches so I have two freshly roasted coffees to choose from, typically some form of Espresso and something for regular brewing. I typically roast on the weekends and those two batches last perfectly through the week.

The only downside is that the sort of burnt toast smell that it makes lingers a bit if you roast inside. After several complaints from my girlfriend I've relegated it to outside use only now.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

rockcity posted:

The only downside is that the sort of burnt toast smell that it makes lingers a bit if you roast inside. After several complaints from my girlfriend I've relegated it to outside use only now.

I love the smell. Normally my apartment is fine, but with the AC running I don't have the windows open.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

This badboy is the poo poo:

Did they have a monopoly in the early 80's? Because I have literally never seen any other brand of popper from that era.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Steve Yun posted:

Did they have a monopoly in the early 80's? Because I have literally never seen any other brand of popper from that era.

I wouldn't doubt it. It would explain why they're so common in garage sales or on Ebay. I won't question it as it roasts some tasty coffee for pretty cheap.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Doh004 posted:

I love the smell. Normally my apartment is fine, but with the AC running I don't have the windows open.

It doesn't bother me at all, but my girlfriend's ability to pick up on smells borders superhuman, so it doesn't take much to bother her. It's also one of those smells that if you don't leave the house you don't even notice it after you're done roasting, but if you leave for a couple hours and come back then you really notice it.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Ouroborus posted:

I have one of those, too. Had it since they came out, and it has been fantastic, especially once I upgraded from the original cylinder to the smaller one for peaberries.

e: there aren't a lot of physical things that I have an emotional attachment to, but I love that damned roaster

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Do it on your balcony.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GrAviTy84 posted:

Do it on your balcony.

What's a balcony?

(Lives in NYC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I brought my old aluminum camping percolator pot to rape camp, and I fell in love with perked coffee all over again.

I'd like to get a steel one for regular use at home, and I was thinking of buying one of these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Farberware-50124-Yosemite-Stainless-Percolator/dp/B00005NCWQ/

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-12-Cup-Stainless-Coffee-Percolator/dp/B0009PUQSM/

Which one should I buy?
Also, does anyone have any experience with the electric plug in models?