Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Snofeld posted:

Assuming you mean the HD Collection:

Funnily enough, nope I'm playing the original. Just got a 360 here and I happened to buy it the week the HD collection gets released. Same as the price of a mini-fish-supper and I love that style of games just totally skipped by me first time round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Ramagamma posted:

Funnily enough, nope I'm playing the original. Just got a 360 here and I happened to buy it the week the HD collection gets released. Same as the price of a mini-fish-supper and I love that style of games just totally skipped by me first time round.

Well the same tips all apply. Oh, and the Decoy Glove is more useful than you might think.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

What should I know about Gemini Rue?

More specifically, how do I look at my inventory? I've tried just about every button on my keyboard, but nothing seems to bring it up.

Is this one of those adventure games where not picking something up at the right time will screw me over? I would also appreciate warnings about any particularly dire puzzles. I have a bad habit of getting obsessed with red herrings.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

What should I know about Gemini Rue?

More specifically, how do I look at my inventory? I've tried just about every button on my keyboard, but nothing seems to bring it up.

Is this one of those adventure games where not picking something up at the right time will screw me over? I would also appreciate warnings about any particularly dire puzzles. I have a bad habit of getting obsessed with red herrings.

• The notes you can collect as the prisoner do nothing and don't really make sense
  • There are no missable items that cause the game to be unwinnable. You can always go back and get what you need.
  • The only conceivably tricky puzzle is the ventilation puzzle with the prisoner. It is however rather easy to brute force both times in case you're not good at those types of puzzles
  • Bullets are limited so don't spray and pray in fire fights. A well aimed shot (taken when the little icon is at the top of the gauge) is worth multiple bullets and usually an instant kill on whatever you're shooting.
  • There are three cameos to Cowboy Bebop hidden throughout the game. They all occur as the detective and they typically involve backtracking all the way to the beginning of the level or some other obtuse spot right before any given chapter ends

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Adding to that:
  • There are a number of things tied to achievements you can miss. If you're into achievements it best to save them for a second playthrough, since there is an achievement for finishing the game with the commentary track.
  • You can kick things. It's probably the least used way of interacting but it does come into play a couple of times.
  • You are never required to manually switch between characters. Don't feel forced to go back and forth.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 2, 2012

TheGooth
Dec 19, 2004
What the fuck is a Gooth?
I'm starting Icewind Dale 1 and 2. Is there any things that are must know?

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

Doubt they'll be much but you never know with older games so what should I know before starting the Ratchet and Clank series.

The Wrench gets more and more useless as you progress through the series, but you can still kill stuff with it in RC3 and Deadlocked. Also, don't listen to the haters, Ratchet: Deadlocked is really fun (and funny!) so you should play it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

TheGooth posted:

I'm starting Icewind Dale 1 and 2. Is there any things that are must know?

Party balance is seriously important. If you're not familiar with the D&D franchise or ruleset, it's worth it to look up a character creation guide. Since there are no NPC party characters, the entire weight of making a balanced party falls on you. Careful planning can make some really frustrating fights into merely challenging.

-If you make a mage (you absolutely will want to) I recommend either not specializing or specializing in Conjuration. The opposition school for Conjuration is Divination, and the only useful divination spell is Identify. It's up to you whether it's worth having access to that spell. I can't remember if IWD is one of the games that let you equip magic items before identifying them.

-Bards still aren't very good.

-You get access to a couple more quests than normal if you have a druid in your party.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 2, 2012

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its worth noting that IWD1 uses the AD&D rule set where as IWD2 uses 3rd edition. If you're not familiar with them it helps to look up a guide because there are some pretty big changes between the two. For instance while MockingQuantum is right that Bards aren't great in IWD1, they are actually pretty good in IWD2 because of the buffs from the 3rd edition rule set.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

voltron lion force posted:

Its worth noting that IWD1 uses the AD&D rule set where as IWD2 uses 3rd edition. If you're not familiar with them it helps to look up a guide because there are some pretty big changes between the two. For instance while MockingQuantum is right that Bards aren't great in IWD1, they are actually pretty good in IWD2 because of the buffs from the 3rd edition rule set.

Good catch, I had totally forgotten that.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Anything for the newest Mortal Kombat? It's been years since I played MK3, so any advice would be great.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mayor Mkkheese posted:

Anything for the newest Mortal Kombat? It's been years sinke I played MK3, so any advike would be great.

What sort of advike? Are you planing to play kompetitively or just mess around? Are you familiar with the fighting game kore konkepts like kombos, kankels, pokes, and blokk strings?

• Assuming you plan on just playing single-player/futzing around know that the single player is, unlike 99% of fighting games, fairly fun. It still will kheat at later levels or high diffikulties but typikally it kan be kheesed. Importantly, if you keep failing it subtly makes it easier and easier on you so don't be afraid to keep trying something you have diffikulty with.

• As with all fighting games, praktike makes perfekt. Run a kharakter through praktike mode a little and know at least basik moves and properties before you go off trying to bash your fake in on the single-player or online.

• If you plan to ever get good at the game, stop playing single player or versus the AI. You will only teakh yourself bad habits and you will be like a lamb to the slaughter for anybody who aktually plays real people.

• There is no shame in pikking good kharakters and learning them. By the same token there is nothing wrong with looking up interesting kombat klips or kharakter kombos. You're not reinventing the Kombat Wheel, only honing it sharp enough to saw your enemies in half.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 3, 2012

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Oh god the 'k's. :cry:

Thanks for the tips. I'm only playing for fun and maybe against some friends.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I'm interested in playing Fire Emblem 4, but I've only played 6 and 7. It's got skills and love points and babies, all of which look scary to someone who's only played the GBA games :ohdear:

Any tips on not screwing things up/over?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Bellmaker posted:

I'm interested in playing Fire Emblem 4, but I've only played 6 and 7. It's got skills and love points and babies, all of which look scary to someone who's only played the GBA games :ohdear:

Any tips on not screwing things up/over?
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh boy.

-LEVELS ARE HUGE
-Pursuit is the most important skill in the game for almost everyone. Pursuit allows you to double if your attack speed is higher. Without it, your only way to get more attacks is Continue/Duel/Hero weapons.
-Ardan is useless, except for getting the Pursuit ring in chapter 2. (Send him to the cliff below the westernmost castle once you take it.)
-Alec and Noish are pretty awful as well.
-The evasion formula is aspdx2+luk+bonuses. Attack speed is your speed MINUS WEAPON WEIGHT. This means that swords and wind are broken, and axes and fire are nigh-useless. I say nigh because Lex is awesome.
-Hold onto Lex's Iron Axe and in chapter 1 send him to the outcropping on the west side of the lake. He'll get the Hero Axe, catapulting him into awesome status.
-Most of the pairings, if you leave them and don't do anything, will end up with really good children, so don't stress about that. If you want some recommendations which will serve you well, Lex/Aira, Midir/Aideen, Azel/Tiltyu, Claude/Sylvia, Holyn/Brigid, Levin/Fury.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Use this for some of the hidden events theshim mentioned (Lex's Hero Axe, Pursuit Ring): http://serenesforest.net/fe4/secret.html

-There is no trading. If you want to swap an item between characters, you need to sell it to the pawn shop, and have the other character buy it. Related to this, but gold isn't shared. Everyone has their own stack of gold. This means you want to set it up so you kill bosses with the character you want to get their drop
-Your main sources of gold are villages (which give less gold as they're gradually destroyed by bandits) and the arena by the way.
-Lachesis doesn't seem like much. Use her anyways. It really helps if you get her the Elite Ring, which drops from a boss in the same chapter she joins.
-Lover points only build for the first 50 turns of a mission, and build much faster if two characters are adjacent. If you don't care about rank, just spend some turns farming points early on in a chapter where there isn't anything urgent going on. (Normally as soon as you've beaten the boss of the first castle but haven't seized yet.)
-In Chapter 4, you get an event if you visit the second to last castle of the map with a certain character. The text makes it fairly obvious you should do this, but regardless, for the love of god, don't miss this.
-theshim's pairing are all solid, there are some I prefer more then the one's posted but his work great for a first playthrough.
-An addendum to the above. Don't let Tiltyu and Claude fall in love. The game kind of pushes you towards it, but it's a terrible pairing.
-If you want to do the work yourself, inheritance is fairly simple. Kids inherit their dominant parents growths + 1/2(non-dominant parents growths). They also inherit Major Holy Blood from their dominant parent (if they have it). Any other Holy Blood on either parent will be inherited as Minor Holy Blood. FYI, Holy Blood just gives boosts to growth rates. Lastly, they get both of their parents skills, and their parents inventories (if they can use them.) The sword skills though (Astra, Luna, Sol) can only be inherited by sword using infantry. Also, only personal skills are passed down, not class skills. All this really means is that Holyn can't pass down Pursuit. The Dominant parent is normally the same-sex parent, but two mothers invert this (Brigid/Ethlin.)

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 3, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

voltron lion force posted:

Speaking of changes, multi/dualclass is awesome in AD&D but sucks in 3E with one exception: Level 1 paladin then take sorcerer. Paladin grants charisma bonus to all saves which makes for a very hardy caster. Ranger in general is useless because their abilities are overshadowed by everyone else. Fighter is more versatile because of free feats, rogue is a better utility class with more skill points, druid is a better caster, and barbarian is a better skirmisher. Favored enemy and easy dual-wielding just aren't worth it.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Anything I should know for 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand or is it just get dat skull son

theshim
May 1, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

-Your main sources of gold are villages (which give less gold as they're gradually destroyed by bandits) and the arena by the way.
-A further note here: The arena is accessible in your base in every chapter but the Prologue and Chapter 6. Every character can fight through the same seven enemies (with a couple switched around for ranged characters), earning escalating gold and exp rewards. The arena is very easy to game (switching powerful weapons around by buying/selling) and you should always do it first thing in each chapter, as well as send any new units you recruit into a castle to do it themselves.

-Speaking of powerful weapons - weapons are not chewed through like in regular FE but can be repaired. This is important because weapons also keep a kill count. Normally, your units cannot land critical hits; the exceptions are people with the Critical skill (Noish, Ethlin, Levin I think) and any weapon which accumulates over 50 kills can also crit. Crit rate is skill+weapon bonus, where the bonus is 1 for each kill over 50 up to 100.

-You will get a Silver Sword for Sigurd about halfway through Chapter 1. Have him use this for the entire first gen, it will end up with a lot of kills and having a crit-ready weapon helps the beginning of second gen considerably.

quote:

-theshim's pairing are all solid, there are some I prefer more then the one's posted but his work great for a first playthrough.
Yeah, these just give you very powerful second gen kids. There are a couple unconventional ones (or even conventional) that work really well as well, and it's hard to go wrong with nearly all of the kids, but the listed ones are both very easy to pull off and very rewarding.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

owl_pellet posted:

Anything I should know for 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand or is it just get dat skull son

• You are Fifty Cent. You are not Tony Yayo or Lloyd Banks or DJ Whoo Kid. You are Cutis loving Jackson and if people think that you bleed when you get shot they don't know poo poo. 50 Cent can take hundreds of bullets and a rocket launcher to the face only takes about half of your ever regenerating life bar. 50 Cent can shoot bullets of fire. You will fear nothing

• You can level up your swears. There is no benefit to this other than knowing that you are swearing even more audaciously at your opponents. Buy all the swears. You are 50 Cent.

• The game is a score attack focused around bling, posters, swearing, and shooting dumb motherfuckers who think they can go toe-to-toe with 50 Cent. Don't worry about maximizing your score unless you need achievements. You know whats an achievement? Getting shot 9 times and living.

• Special Melee kills will transport enemies to a dimension of raw agony where you will eviscerate them in ways so brutal that the Wu-Tang Clan would flinch. gently caress them, they don't know poo poo. You take no damage while doing this and your health will usually begin regenerating shortly after showing somebody 50 Cent is not one to gently caress with

• Give me my loving skull

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 3, 2012

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Question about Peace Walker because I think I'm doing this wrong.

According to the game I need to hit certain parts of the boss to unlock boards, but if I destroy that part, the boards are toast.

I've done runs where I've hit nothing but the AI pod without destroying any components and I still get ~ 90% damaged boards. I feel like I have to be doing something wrong because it feels totally random.

It seems like even if I don't blow up all the components directly, once I get the life bar down to 0 they just blow up in the animation sequence.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem

McKracken posted:

According to the game I need to hit certain parts of the boss to unlock boards, but if I destroy that part, the boards are toast.

I've done runs where I've hit nothing but the AI pod without destroying any components and I still get ~ 90% damaged boards. I feel like I have to be doing something wrong because it feels totally random.

It seems like even if I don't blow up all the components directly, once I get the life bar down to 0 they just blow up in the animation sequence.

If I remember right, haven't played in a long while, you damage not the core, but the actual parts you want to get. Been a very long while since I played though, and I forgot most of everything about it.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Anything for Siberia? Didn't see it in the Wiki and you never know if adventure games will be the kind that love to screw you over or not v:shobon:v

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

McKracken posted:

Damaging components unlocks boards, but stops you from getting whatever part it is (like a railgun or legs or a head).

Hitting the AI pod damages it and the boards themselves, so you can't pull them out.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Captain Novolin posted:

Damaging components unlocks boards, but stops you from getting whatever part it is (like a railgun or legs or a head).

Hitting the AI pod damages it and the boards themselves, so you can't pull them out.

Ahhhh. Okay this makes a lot more sense now.

So if I want a parts, like a radome, go after just the AI pod. If I want boards, go after the parts and not the AI pod.

Do I have that right?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

McKracken posted:

Ahhhh. Okay this makes a lot more sense now.

So if I want a parts, like a radome, go after just the AI pod. If I want boards, go after the parts and not the AI pod.

Do I have that right?

Yes, that's right.

Drop rates for some parts are stupidly low though, so it might take you a bunch of tries even if you only damage the pod.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I've also had luck damaging the parts just a little bit, but that could just be confirmation bias.

God help you if you want all the Monster Hunter items.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for Warhammer 40k: Space Marine? Also, anything storywise I should know besides the basic premise of "guy in power armor kills space orcs"?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cbouncerrun posted:

Anything for Warhammer 40k: Space Marine? Also, anything storywise I should know besides the basic premise of "guy in power armor kills space orcs"?

40k Primer
The year is 40,000 and everyone is a loving idiot. Space Marines are a religious order of Frankenstein monsters made to serve a dead guy in a chair. Inquisitors are a secret order that makes certain no one is suggesting ideas to make life better and will execute anyone with a good idea. Orks are rowdy fratboys that love fighting, running into crowds screaming "Waaagh!", and overall being more charismatic and likeable than any other race in the 40k universe (unfortunately GW has a hard on for Spice Mareens). Chaos is more or less the psychic energy that manifests in another dimension called the Warp. Because everything is black and white in 40k, Chaos is always evil and appears as hellish daemons. The people smart enough to escape the Imperium of Man because they're too intelligent for that poo poo are eventually corrupted which leads to Chaos Marines.

Basically, life sucks, everyone has a headache, and you're out to kill anyone who looks different than you. Welcome to Warhammer 40,000.

-Don't be afraid to mix things up. There's no cover mechanic and you're pretty beefy in melee so go nuts. Use your rage whenever it lights up because it heals you and even the slow motion aiming ability is a big help in fights.

-Enemies will still attack you during your long execution animation so make sure you execute the last guy to avoid dying.

-Gretchin (little goblin-like orks) and chaos guardsmen can be executed instantly for free health.

-Midway through the game orks start wielding rokkit launchas. It's one of the best weapons in the tabletop game and the bane of your existence in Space Marine. It fires 1-3 rokkits in the air that arc and land in your general area. You can dodge it as the rokkit arcs but your best bet is to solely focus on these assholes when you see them. A really helpful strategy late game is to lure charging orks around a corner so the rokkit assholes can't hit you.

-Likewise, Nobz (big orks) with kombi weapons (machine gun + rokkit launcha) are probably the toughest enemy in the game and can kill you in 3 seconds if you're out in the open. At this point you should have a lascannon which is like a beefy sniper rifle. Keep it around through the rest of the game as it fucks everyone in a couple shots.

-If you see a hammer then keep it as long as you can. It limits you to bolter only but it's the best melee weapon in the game.

-Multi-melta is bad. Ignore it.

-Yes, it's pronounced leftenant.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Cbouncerrun posted:

If you're using kbam and are having trouble doing melee-stun combos, try rebinding melee to the mousewheel - left mouse shoot, right mouse zoom, like most shooters, and the mouse wheel down to melee and mouse wheel up to stun. That control scheme made it easier for me to integrate shooting and melee and to do combos. You might be fine with the default but if it isn't clicking for you, try the mousewheel.

There are some parts in the game that get a little repetitive. Stick with it - the game isn't that long and the last 45 minutes are pretty awesome. Also all of the above post is good advice.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jjaarreett posted:

Anything for Siberia? Didn't see it in the Wiki and you never know if adventure games will be the kind that love to screw you over or not v:shobon:v

Well it's after 1990 so no, Syberia will never do anything to render the game unbeatable.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jjaarreett posted:

It doesn't screw you over. Also, there's a great UHS guide to it if that site is still around.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Sorry, one more clarification for Peace Walker.

I'm in chapter 4, and getting into what I assume is the end-game, and despite having all the appropriate parts for a fully built Zeke he's just chilling in my hangar doing nothing.

Have I not progressed the story far enough to use him?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
You can't use Zeke in the Main gameplay, you can only use him a super unit in the Outer Ops.

There is a Boss fight way later in the post-game against Zeke though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

al-azad posted:

-If you see a hammer then keep it as long as you can. It limits you to bolter only but it's the best melee weapon in the game.

I don't quite agree with that--I could just be bad at the game, but I found that trying to melee everything with the hammer and only having a bolter available as a gun made things too difficult. Sometimes you need to hang back and shoot and having a lascannon and another tough gun on hand makes some parts of the game a lot easier (including a certain orky boss fight). You can do just fine in melee with the chain sword or axe, I didn't think that sacrificing two gun slots was worth it.

Having said that, the part in the game where you get the jet pack and the thunder hammer is easily my favorite part and I would have bought a game that was just 6 hours of that.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

McKracken posted:

Sorry, one more clarification for Peace Walker.

I'm in chapter 4, and getting into what I assume is the end-game, and despite having all the appropriate parts for a fully built Zeke he's just chilling in my hangar doing nothing.

Have I not progressed the story far enough to use him?

Complete chapter 4, and then you can use Zeke.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Having said that, the part in the game where you get the jet pack and the thunder hammer is easily my favorite part and I would have bought a game that was just 6 hours of that.

Red Faction: Guerilla :smug:

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!
Are there any recommended mods for a first time playthrough of Dragon Age: Origins? I thought I remember people talking about one that let you skip The Fade.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Thewittyname posted:

Are there any recommended mods for a first time playthrough of Dragon Age: Origins? I thought I remember people talking about one that let you skip The Fade.
The Fade is really cool though! I might recommend that mod for replays, because it's long, but it's really worth doing the first time at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

By skipping the Fade do they mean skipping half of the mage's tower dungeon? It should be pointed out it's the only place in the game where you get several permanent stat boosts. Unless the mod that lets you skip compensates for that it really isn't worth it when that area constitutes maybe 1% of the total game. I would have gladly skipped the dwarf dungeons than the Fade.