Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Chemmy posted:

I don't even know what a can of lunch meat is. Thankfully this lady was kind enough to explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx7oy4krOdc

The preview image looks like Richard Ayoade in drag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I've made a lot of variations of this barbecue sauce. (Ignore the whole recipe, the non-sauce parts aren't particularly good.)

I usually cut down the liquid smoke and up the chipotles, and throw in whatever else I have. I've tried lots of recipes, but I keep returning to some combination of molasses and chipotles. I also like to swap out the crushed tomatoes for whole canned tomatoes (or fresh if it makes sense), and pull them apart with my hands, to give it a lumpier, sloppier feel. I never use the blender.

quote:

SAUCE
2 (28-ounce/794 g) cans crushed tomatoes
12 ounces (355 ml) molasses
2 small onions, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup (120 ml) dry sherry
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 or more chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped (as many as you like, really)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 teaspoons ground allspice
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Preparation
1. MAKE THE SAUCE: In a 6-quart saucepan, combine the tomatoes, molasses, onion, sherry, Worcestershire sauce, chipotles, garlic, allspice, and liquid smoke. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
2. Reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Use the immersion blender to mix the ingredients into a smooth sauce. (Or transfer to the stand blender and puree for about 60 seconds.) Simmer, stirring frequently, for an additional 45 minutes or until the sauce is reduced to about 2 quarts

wafflesnsegways fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 1, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

mindphlux posted:

anyone have proven good as heck barebeque sauce recipes? looking for like a mustard sauce and maybe a sweet and gloopy one. I have a carolina style nailed down, but I'm making a bunch of pork for a euro 2012 final party tomorrow and need some alternates for people who don't like vinegar. (heathens)

last few times I've made sauces off of google, the results have sucked, so I'm really hoping for someone's personal secret recipe or something.

Care to share your Carolina-style sauce recipe?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
man, actually 3 people asked me today for that recipe, so I guess I should try my best to pin it down. I usually just make it off hand until it tastes right, which is basically the bane of my cooking existence when it comes to sharing the things I like.

so, usually I'll start with a big bottle of good cider vinegar. so to scale it down let's say a 500ml-ish / pint size jar.

I dump a lot of garlic powder into the jar - let's say 4-6 tablespoons.

I grind a lot of pepper into the jar, let's say 3 tbsp.

I dump some cayenne in, maybe also about 2-3 tbsp. more, till it's hot as I like

some dark brown sugar goes in, maybe also 6-8 tbsp.

some salt goes in, maybe 3-5 tbsp.

some MSG goes in, maybe a 1/2 tsp.

usually some of my secret dry-rub goes in (the ingredient list is a mile long, and don't think I can share it) maybe 2 tbsp. feel free to just add some random spices - my dry rub has stuff like ground mustard seed, fennel, cumin, celery seed, blah blah blah

then I'll usually squirt a little ketchup in, just to give the sauce a little bit more body and a bit more sweetness. paprika is also an option.

I think that's about it! after that it's just a balancing act getting the salt/sugar/spiciness right. just mess around with those three until you're like 'god drat that's good.'

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That works dude I was mostly just looking for guidelines anyway. I can't imagine making something like a sauce just on measured ingredients in any case. Thanks!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Heyoooo

Got the day off, smoking a 12 pound pork butt. Gonna drink beer and read a book and maybe bribe the neighbors with the promise of pork to use their pool later.

Today is a good day.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

dino. posted:

Currently reading Kitchen Confidential. So /that's/ where all these rear end in a top hat applicants have been coming from. :doh:

I was dragged to a trendy new breakfast place this weekend and in the middle of the brunch rush a battered VW pulls up and out steps some kid with River Phoenix hair, dirty jeans and a stained wife beater. Through the front door, he lugs in a cardboard box full of fresh artisan loaves and leaves it on one of the tables. Just in case everyone there didn't know how edgy and loving authentic the place was, now they did. All I could think about was how the owners must have read Kitchen Confidential and decided they needed a "dangerous" baker to wet yuppy panties.

:fh:

I took a piece home in a napkin and the bread had so much butter in it that the napkin was soaked through by the time we got back. Gave to dog.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Hey, the pirate's life is good, so long as you keep off the scurvy. It's no small part of how I ended up behind the bar.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Anyone been to Guadalajara, Jalisco and have interesting restaurant recommendations? Internet sources are hit or miss, mostly on the miss side. And a related question, I need some listening material for travel time that isn't music. The profusion of food podcasts on iTunes leaves me bewildered by their variety. Which, if any, are good at discussing culture, history, and food, or are at least listenable and interesting, rather than just being "three things to do with a carrot" or "how to make high meat for your raw diet?"

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Kind of depends on what you want. Guadie is a big town. I can't think of anywhere that really stands out, but there's as much selection as there would be as if you were in, say Sacramento or something.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah I realize it's a massive city with lots of choices. The plan so far is just wander around and eat things on an encounter basis rather than going somewhere specific, but if I can guide us in the direction of one or two really great spots that would be fine too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

There's nothing really knock-your-socks-off then, that I can think of, with the exception of the standard Taqueria de Guadalajara on every block, which are all about the same level. Just look out for the ones that are the most crowded, but you know that. Same goes for the street carts selling the tortas that they dip in sauce (messy but really good and very filling.

Why are you going down?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
speaking of travel - yayy, I am going back to the fatherland for the first time in a couple years come august. can't wait to eat some döners and drink some delicious beer. gonna go through berlin, the sauerland, dortmund, köln, and probably hit up belgium.

yayyy

it's unlikely, but if anyone has any knock out restaurant recommendations, always game for hearing them. my luck with restaurants in germany is really weird. I've had some great finds (like this one amazing sri lankan place. who knew?) but also some really epic failures.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There's nothing really knock-your-socks-off then, that I can think of, with the exception of the standard Taqueria de Guadalajara on every block, which are all about the same level. Just look out for the ones that are the most crowded, but you know that. Same goes for the street carts selling the tortas that they dip in sauce (messy but really good and very filling.

Why are you going down?

I've wanted a torta ahogada since I first learned about them a couple of years ago. Last time I was in San Diego, the restaurant next to my hotel had a sign in the window advertising tortas ahogadas and I was super-excited to finally get one. I went in, sat down, and when I tried to order they told me they didn't sell torta ahogada. Sort of ruined my whole day.

One of my buddies is having some family drama, and his in-laws disinvited him from the family vacation at the last minute. He already had the vacation request in at work and couldn't cancel, so we decided to go to Jalisco instead. He's got some industry contacts, so we're going to get some tours and hopefully private tastings at some tequilerias. I'd like to take a day trip to see the Guachimontones as well, but that's still up in the air. Plus one or two evenings in Tijuana to see what Bourdain missed. Should be a good time.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Who cares about actual restaurants? Just eat street meat the whole time. :v:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

bartolimu posted:

I've wanted a torta ahogada since I first learned about them a couple of years ago. Last time I was in San Diego, the restaurant next to my hotel had a sign in the window advertising tortas ahogadas and I was super-excited to finally get one. I went in, sat down, and when I tried to order they told me they didn't sell torta ahogada. Sort of ruined my whole day.

One of my buddies is having some family drama, and his in-laws disinvited him from the family vacation at the last minute. He already had the vacation request in at work and couldn't cancel, so we decided to go to Jalisco instead. He's got some industry contacts, so we're going to get some tours and hopefully private tastings at some tequilerias. I'd like to take a day trip to see the Guachimontones as well, but that's still up in the air. Plus one or two evenings in Tijuana to see what Bourdain missed. Should be a good time.

That sounds great. I really miss Mexico. I should go back more often.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

mindphlux posted:

speaking of travel - yayy, I am going back to the fatherland for the first time in a couple years come august. can't wait to eat some döners and drink some delicious beer. gonna go through berlin, the sauerland, dortmund, köln, and probably hit up belgium.

yayyy

it's unlikely, but if anyone has any knock out restaurant recommendations, always game for hearing them. my luck with restaurants in germany is really weird. I've had some great finds (like this one amazing sri lankan place. who knew?) but also some really epic failures.
Come to Denmark!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

yayyy

If I ever went back to Germany again, I'm pretty sure I'd live entirely on local dark breads and charcuterie. I'd also go during Fasching.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Do they spray sulfur on bing cherries? I ate a bunch for breakfast, and I'm having some evil sulfur farts. It smells like low tide in here.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Casu Marzu posted:

Heyoooo

Got the day off, smoking a 12 pound pork butt. Gonna drink beer and read a book and maybe bribe the neighbors with the promise of pork to use their pool later.

Today is a good day.

If that were me it would inevitably take 25 hours to hit 190 on the inside, even with a crutch. I have Bad Pork Luck, roughly half the time everyone is drunk/hungry enough to force me to serve the pork when it's good but not quite ready to pull. Sad times.

On mustard sauce- I like Meathead Goldwyn's recipe.

Ingredients
2 cups yellow hot dog mustard
2/3 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon chipotle Tabasco
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules or 1 cube (I use an ice cube of reduced stock)
2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves
1 teaspoon celery seed
3 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

It's pretty good, I have a jar in the cupboard.

Filboid Studge fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 3, 2012

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

Casu Marzu posted:

Who cares about actual restaurants? Just eat street meat the whole time. :v:

Sounds kinky and fun!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

Come to Denmark!

I'd seriously love to, though I think the people I'm traveling with are keen on belgium. I don't know why, but during my entire 2 year stay in germany, denmark remained a great mystery to me. It would have been so simple to just take a train up from Dortmund, but I never did. I mean I guess I was a poor student, but that's not really an excuse.

our travel plans are not even close to being set in stone, I think they just go something like "arrive in frankfurt, train to berlin ...... get drunk ...... rent a car, drive a lot............ somehow arrive back in frankfurt in time for our flight out.

what parts of denmark would you recommend seeing? are you in copenhagen?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

mindphlux posted:

I'd seriously love to, though I think the people I'm traveling with are keen on belgium. I don't know why, but during my entire 2 year stay in germany, denmark remained a great mystery to me. It would have been so simple to just take a train up from Dortmund, but I never did. I mean I guess I was a poor student, but that's not really an excuse.

our travel plans are not even close to being set in stone, I think they just go something like "arrive in frankfurt, train to berlin ...... get drunk ...... rent a car, drive a lot............ somehow arrive back in frankfurt in time for our flight out.

As a Swede I'm fairly convinced that there is no Denmark outside of Copenhagen, apart from Helsingör, where you go to buy cheap beer(and visit Lousiana if you are the cultured sort). Copenhagen is a really nice city though, with some great restaurants, besides Noma. Last time I was there I went to Pate Pate, which was brilliant.

From Copenhagen you can also take a quick tour to Malmö, which is less exciting but have a few great restaurants, most notably Bastard, which is pretty damned fantastic, apart from the fact that they tend to insist on only stocking "natural" wine.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

mindphlux posted:

H^H and I are in Aarhus, which is a fine town, but imo (as a transplanted Copenhagener) not a patch on Copenhagen - it's actually quite small (I guess it depends on what kind of trip you're looking for, if it's hanging out-eating-drinking or doing the touristy thing and seeing the sights). And as DekeThornton says, it's really easy to do countries for the price of one by jumping a train from Copenhagen central to Malmö.

You can get really really cheap flights from Berlin to CPH, too - or you can get fairly cheap bustickets from Berlin to Aarhus.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

At this point, I'd honestly just prefer the ads. Every time I visit your site, there is this enormous call to donate. And they're all big. And with ugly people.

Just put up regular ads already, because you're more or less doing that anyway.

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005

dino. posted:

At this point, I'd honestly just prefer the ads. Every time I visit your site, there is this enormous call to donate. And they're all big. And with ugly people.

I never really understood their concern with "independence." I don't know much about internet advertising, but they must be incredibly valuable to a huge number of advertisers. They could probably tell anyone who tried to mess with their content to gently caress-off.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dino. posted:

adblock solves that problem. :smug:

Also thank gently caress I'm off work tomorrow. Gonna drink it up.

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001

wafflesnsegways posted:

I've made a lot of variations of this barbecue sauce. (Ignore the whole recipe, the non-sauce parts aren't particularly good.)

I usually cut down the liquid smoke and up the chipotles, and throw in whatever else I have. I've tried lots of recipes, but I keep returning to some combination of molasses and chipotles. I also like to swap out the crushed tomatoes for whole canned tomatoes (or fresh if it makes sense), and pull them apart with my hands, to give it a lumpier, sloppier feel. I never use the blender.

This is really close to what I'll do except less chipotle, more ancho, and blended smooth-ish. (I find a less aggressive sauce pleases more of my guests even if it's not at my personal heat preference, and I blend because it usually gets brushed on meat at some point.)

I'll cut some molasses and add about a pint of blended blackberries if they're in season, too. It gets it dark and glossy and blackberries have a perfect sweetness to bounce off smoked chiles.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

mindphlux posted:

That completely depends... (We're, as Dane professes, in Aarhus - 300k people - nice place, 1 5 michelin starred attraction).

I would recommend the gently caress out of going there, because americans and history...

Other than that I would recommend sitting on LeCoq, drinking wine, going to & together with me and the wife, going to the south of funen to see the homes of the bourgoisie (castles and poo poo), going to the west of jutland to see the ocean and the leftover bunkers (I think they havn't removed all of them yet), going to copenhagen (esp. if it is during jazz festival)..

Nothing here is really more than 3 hours away from anything else!

Edit: Also the home of HC Andersen - because for some reason it is nice to see where the sexually perpetually frustrated lived, he was the original goon - the guy that the entire world friendzoned!

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 3, 2012

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
Ah my delivery of 14lbs of live lobster and 8lbs of steamers got in today. Really looking forward to this evening.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

A 'steamer' is something sexual - isn't it?

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

I think he means clams, but it could go either way

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick

Happy Hat posted:

You tell me..

:fap:

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Knowing you americans, that is probably something that you will then forcibly insert into your urethra, and then ejaculate it across the room at a midget woman spinning on a turntable, while chanting the lyrics of 'Dancing queen'.

That is a steamer!

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Not in Cleveland.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

GODDAMNIT

I loving KNEW it!

What the hell is wrong with you guys, you're like... the Germans in the 1980s!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Happy Hat posted:

Knowing you americans, that is probably something that you will then forcibly insert into your urethra, and then ejaculate it across the room at a midget woman spinning on a turntable, while chanting the lyrics of 'Dancing queen'.

That is a steamer!

Ah, Thursdays.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Happy Hat posted:

GODDAMNIT

I loving KNEW it!

What the hell is wrong with you guys, you're like... the Germans in the 1980s!

You're the freaky European in this place that turns everything into something sex-related. I'm surprised that you haven't spawned more children, actually.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
man my girlfriend's parents have a dog named 'stanley steamer', and it's all I can to not to call him cleveland steamer every time I see him. :( really want to call that dog 'ol cleve' steamer :( :( :(

also who names their dog 'stanley steamer' lol

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

Ah my delivery of 14lbs of live lobster and 8lbs of steamers got in today. Really looking forward to this evening.

SOMEONE WON LOBSTERSWEEPS.COM

edit aww it's gone (http://web.archive.org/web/20040607181702/http://www.lobstersweeps.com/index.php?refMediaID=22222&refSiteID=11111)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick

mindphlux posted:

man my girlfriend's parents have a dog named 'stanley steamer', and it's all I can to not to call him cleveland steamer every time I see him. :( really want to call that dog 'ol cleve' steamer :( :( :(

also who names their dog 'stanley steamer' lol

SOMEONE WON LOBSTERSWEEPS.COM

edit aww it's gone (http://web.archive.org/web/20040607181702/http://www.lobstersweeps.com/index.php?refMediaID=22222&refSiteID=11111)

Holy poo poo 50lbs I would rig my bathtub into an aquarium for that.

But seriously overnighting them 2,000 miles is far too expensive to ever do this again