Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

Shanty posted:

Ha yeah okay, you're just good at this game. At this point you should be starting to feel like the Drake Sword is taking a million years to kill things. Did you find something... Interesting in a chest at the bottom of Sen's? Try that thing out for a while to get a taste for what other weapons are like.

You almost got me killed! :colbert:

I went to investigate that chest with all those warnings around it, pretty sure if I wasn't upgrading my elite knight armor so much that mimic probably would have eaten me. How many of those goddamn things are in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I went to investigate that chest with all those warnings around it, pretty sure if I wasn't upgrading my elite knight armor so much that mimic probably would have eaten me. How many of those goddamn things are in the game?

Enough.

There's a really easy way to get their items though.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

How to deal with mimics: All chests have a chain on the right side. The chain of mimics will point towards you, normal chests will point away from you. Alternatively, you can just smack every chest before opening it to see if it's a mimic. Also, you can get a lot of free hits in on a Mimic before it stands up and starts attacking you if you attack it instead of trying to open it. If this doesn't kill the mimic outright, it'll usually only have one or two more hits left on it until it dies.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

The Brown Menace posted:

Enough.

There's a really easy way to get their items though.

Yeah just attack them before you try to open them, they spit out their items nicely.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Mimics also breathe when they're idling, so you can look for that as well.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Mimics are an invader's BFF. seriously, you'd be surprised at how many people get distracted by me prodding them and then they get eaten like a chump.

:getin:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Invaders can wake mimics? Oh man, I'll need to remember that next time I invade.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in NG+ right now, if I bring myself to SL120, are there a lot of people co-oping at that level? I know it's a sweet spot for PVP, but what about co-op?

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW
I was complaining a few pages ago that I wasn't getting any co-op at SL80, but that's changed since I bumped up to SL120. Definitely worth doing!

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Speedboat Jones posted:

I'm in NG+ right now, if I bring myself to SL120, are there a lot of people co-oping at that level? I know it's a sweet spot for PVP, but what about co-op?
There's still a fair pool of players in the 120 range for co-oping.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Speedboat Jones posted:

People often put their white signs down for dueling because they're too cheap to spend a humanity and if you summon them and they realize you're going to go kill a boss they will almost never crystal out but help instead. If time having trouble getting a helper for a certain part just go duel in the parish for a bit and when you find someone cool send them a pm saying you'd like you're help killing x.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

Invaders can wake mimics? Oh man, I'll need to remember that next time I invade.

You can't wake it, but you sure as hell can spam the "Well, what is it?" and "Look in the sky" actions while standing behind one.

My favorite is magic users and Pyromancers, because you can just roll right beside the mimic and the mimic will get hit with the whatever attack.

The other thing you can do is use a bow, pyro, magic, miracles from behind the mimic with impunity. And if they try to go to the boss via the normal route? You can either chase them while they get attacked by silver knights, or use the shortcut to stop them in their tracks. Anor Londo Palace is my favorite invader zone because of all the dickery you can do.

The only person to survive the combo of me and the titanite demon is our very own Buzzsaw(he was sunbrooing). And that was only once out of the two times I encountered his party.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Nasgate posted:

Anor Londo Palace is my favorite invader zone because of all the dickery you can do.

Get yourself and a SL40 build to Upper Blighttown. I did a Mildred gimmick, but I'd love to reroll with some INT/FTH to really be a dick. Be sure to bring firebombs, dung pies, poison knives, plenty of Llyod's Talismans, and start kicking people off ledges. It's delightful!

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Nasgate posted:

The only person to survive the combo of me and the titanite demon is our very own Buzzsaw(he was sunbrooing). And that was only once out of the two times I encountered his party.

It's pretty easy to make a beeline for S+O in the second half of Anor Londo. If I get an invader there and he starts pulling poo poo like that, I'll usually just head straight for the boss room and not even bother.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

EC posted:

Get yourself and a SL40 build to Upper Blighttown. I did a Mildred gimmick, but I'd love to reroll with some INT/FTH to really be a dick. Be sure to bring firebombs, dung pies, poison knives, plenty of Llyod's Talismans, and start kicking people off ledges. It's delightful!

I still need to do that. Where's the best place to invade from in Upper Blighttown? Right at the bonfire on the buttress?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

EC posted:

The dung pies would actually be beneficial in some areas, if you use it to trigger toxin. The toxin from the dung pies drains health much slower than getting inflicted by the blowdart snipers, and makes you immune to the blowdart toxin.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

jonjonaug posted:

The dung pies would actually be beneficial in some areas, if you use it to trigger toxin. The toxin from the dung pies drains health much slower than getting inflicted by the blowdart snipers, and makes you immune to the blowdart toxin.
But the invadee is still toxic'd with a Red/Blue Phantom trying to kill them. And the dung pies might help the blow dart guys inflict toxic. I'm not sure how it works out, but it might be possible to build up the toxic meter and have the blowdarts inflict toxic? Unless they're separate bars or something.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Shima Honnou posted:

I still need to do that. Where's the best place to invade from in Upper Blighttown? Right at the bonfire on the buttress?

Yep! You spawn in the area you drop into through the false floor, right at the moving bridge.

Nahxela posted:

But the invadee is still toxic'd with a Red/Blue Phantom trying to kill them. And the dung pies might help the blow dart guys inflict toxic. I'm not sure how it works out, but it might be possible to build up the toxic meter and have the blowdarts inflict toxic? Unless they're separate bars or something.

The dung pies can build up the meter, just not as quick as the dart guys. 90% of the time the dart guys are already gone anyway. Also, hardly anyone ever has the moss ready to use. So you just stand there and watch them die, using LTs to prevent them from flasking. If they try to use humanity, run over and kick them off the ledge.

If they're using a Drake Sword, let them backstab you a couple of times. It tickles.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Sounds good to me. I'll have to do that tomorrow, make myself a level 40 invader. I'm thinking ninja gimmick with the poison/toxic mist pyromancies, an iaito, and two claws, and a load of poison throwing knives.

Lagos
Mar 17, 2004

Hates Loud Noise
I think it's about time to try some Jolly Cooperation. I did a faith build once but stopped after O+S. Some quick questions:

Target SL80 for co-op? And then push to 120?

I want enough faith to use at least Greater Lightning Spear, so 30. That also lets me use sunlight weapon. Now I think I have four paths:

1. Faith only. Use a +15 version of something easy to use with sunlight weapon or a Sunlight weapon for bosses. Pyro/fire/lightning weapons for soloing.
2. Faith/int caster. (I don't care for this too much)
3) Faith/Dex for the BSS
4) Faith/Str. Lol grant?

I kind of want to maintain the stereotypical Sunbro dynamic, maybe even eventually using Solaire's outfit, but sword + board might get dull. I think that I'd like to emphasize miracle usage to make Jolly Cooperation a bit more interesting. Suggestions on fun builds would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

So I was just shooting off the Hellkite Drake's tail for the Drake Sword when it, uh... died? Does the Hellkite only have like, 300 HP in NG or something? :stare:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Alabaster White posted:

So I was just shooting off the Hellkite Drake's tail for the Drake Sword when it, uh... died? Does the Hellkite only have like, 300 HP in NG or something? :stare:

I don't think so? I remember I tried killing it WITH the Drake Sword once and I still got killed.

Usually if I want the Drake Sword, I'll just shoot it once and chop off its tail when it jumps down and it comes off in three or so hits. Plinking at the tail is for pussies.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I used a Divine Mace for my faith build and that was more than enough for even minor PvP. You will want at least three attunement slots. One for heal, and one each for Lightning Spear and Greater Lightning Spear. Though basically every miracle except for great heal excerpt(and with high enough Magadjust, Great Heal isn't much better than Heal)

Tranquil Walk, Vow of Silence, and Karmic Justice are all good at loving over possible invaders of your host.

I have never used the Gravelord miracles in practice, but they do good damage, even if they only have like two casts each.

Honestly, I don't think you would need more than 20 strength if you use Divine weapons. Also, the divine embers are super easy to get, considering that the bosses you have to beat to get to them are Pinwheel and Moonlight Butterfly(both of which have ally phantoms that can solo the boss). Admittedly the large divine ember is pretty much a suicide run though, you can jump across the gap by the ladder and fall down and grab it before being ganged up on by big skeletons.

And nothing says, "you are hosed" like getting hit with a Great Lightning Spear +Ring of Sun's Firstborn.

Also, I would try to not speed to a certain SL, the best part of being in the sunbro covenant is sunbroing any and every boss.

:sun::getin::sun:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Lagos posted:

I kind of want to maintain the stereotypical Sunbro dynamic, maybe even eventually using Solaire's outfit, but sword + board might get dull. I think that I'd like to emphasize miracle usage to make Jolly Cooperation a bit more interesting. Suggestions on fun builds would be appreciated. Thanks.
I did a Solaire build with the lightning spear miracles and Sunlight Weapon with a +15 Sunlight Straight Sword. Also used the Sunlight Talisman because that's how it should be. Going into a person's place to co-op and praising the sun is strangely very, very gratifying/enjoying.

One time, a guy invaded me in the Parish while I was Solaire and waiting for a summon. I just spammed Praise the Sun and the Blue Phantom went home. I waved goodbye.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I praised the sun at a Darkmoon who invaded my host while Sunbroing in Anor Londo today. He just sprinted at me and killed me in a backstab. Some people have no appreciation for the finer things.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I can understand not wanting to deal with assist phantoms in an invasion, but it takes a special kind of jerk to emote-stab a sun praiser.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I can understand not wanting to deal with assist phantoms in an invasion, but it takes a special kind of jerk to emote-stab a sun praiser.

The best kind :getin:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I only emote from a safe distance. Also, I almost never do it first. Never been hosed by it yet.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
If you emote, expect my trident placed firmly in your spine

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I love to dung pie people while they bow. Also, praising the sun while a red Phantom is just so satisfyingly malevolent to me. It's like I'm showing them that I chose the dark side.

The only time I don't emote back stab is when it's a blue phantom, as I like to face the repercussions of my actions head on.

Hug Every Cat
Oct 13, 2011

I just want to hug all of them but I can't because that's crazy. I can't hug every cat. I just want to.
I've been getting invaded by dragon people glitching out so that they are spamming some sort of shockwave/force spell constantly. :[ I'm not good at pvp and I have never defeated a phantom on my own, but I don't really mind invasions... But wow, I can't believe how irritating it is to be slowly and helplessly lifted off a cliff or ledge by one of those guys.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I will Praise the Sun to my death, no regrets.
\o/

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Welp, I was with my level 30 guy that isn't a twink (+5 normal falchion, mix-match of unupgraded elite knight+hard leather) and decided to go do some forest hunter PvP since I didn't know you buy stuff from Shiva in Blighttown, and just assumed I had to win a few pvp duels, after my first host jumped off a cliff and indicted me. Boy was that a mistake.

So many Lightning Uchis/Zweis on people ninjaflipping in full Havel's. Also so many people camping the spawn points for blue phantoms. God drat. After about 15 or so attempts and not finding anyone who wasn't farming blues or had 1-2 phantoms helping him (that would all one-shot me with their bullshit weapons), I just took off the ring and quit for the night.

SL should count how many souls you've earned, not how many you've spent on stats, ffs. And yes, I know I was likely invading high level people since there's no upper cap for it, it's still annoying that stuff like this is the only pvp I've ever come across on any of my characters.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I personaly think that the best way to get into PvP is to go Sunbro->Red Phantom->Blue phantom->forest.

Everything but forest is best done in Anor Londo because there's always a variety of people which allows you to learn the basics and also how you do best in PvP. I personaly am average 1v1, but by god am I good at harassing and having regular enemies kill hosts.

Honestly though, unless you enjoy messing with min maxers, Forest pvp gets rid of a lot of the fun and all of the diversity that makes Souls pvp unique/interesting.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Forest PvP is a shitshow, this is rather well-known.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
Speaking of the forest, what's the best place to farm souls now that Pharis and those two knights don't respawn there?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Jaaam posted:

Speaking of the forest, what's the best place to farm souls now that Pharis and those two knights don't respawn there?
Pharis and those two knights never respawned, even pre 1.05 patch. You can still farm souls there from the others pretty easily even without them.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jaaam posted:

The Dragonslayer Bow Silver Knight + Royal Giants in Anor Londo, or Tarkus + Rendal in Dark Anor Londo are the most simple. The first gets you 7000 Souls, the second gets you 10000 (assuming you're in NG), with the best bonfire being the one in front of Gwynevere's room (you can jump down to the lower level without dying!).

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Edit: I suck at reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW
I killed Gwyndowlin, the fire keeper and broke the illusion in Anor Londo. For some reason, every time I warp to the Chamber of the Princess, use the bonfire, then die, I get kicked back to the first Anor Londo bonfire. Is this a thing?

• Locked thread