Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Really disappointed and uninterested in the way this game is turning out. The bad dialogue and whatnot, I can handle. But all these tiresome little gameplay things, the lining up with your co-op partner to open a door, the little quicktime events with the icon of the radius with a line through it...

I just cannot be bothered.

On the other hand, it's good to see Capcom can still bring it with graphics and weirdly art design. Environmental/character design anyway. Locations are always pretty interesting in Resident Evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Unless they change the forced co-op significantly from RE5 I'm not buying this. RE5 was really fun with a real person as player 2, but I like replaying games on my own, and I just couldn't do it with AI Sheva or online players using infinite rocket launchers.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I played Resident Evil 5 completely through twice with my brother, who is probably just as bad as the Sheva AI (We got 10 deaths one chapter because of the crocodiles), but I had a complete blast. It's one of my favorite games because of that.

If RE6 plays similarly, I'll probably have just as much fun.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
People playing it at E3 say that AI partners are much smarter in that they stay out of your way and don't use your supplies as much.

I think Revelations had partners for 90% of the game and they were fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

timeandtide posted:

People playing it at E3 say that AI partners are much smarter in that they stay out of your way and don't use your supplies as much.

I think Revelations had partners for 90% of the game and they were fine.

The partners in Revelations were literally invincible and had infinite ammo.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
^ Partners in RE6 are the same, from what I'm hearing. The thing that bothers me the most is the lack of reaction when you shoot an enemy.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

See, I don't understand why Capcom didn't do that for RE5: have them invincible/infinite ammo (or at least super beefed up) for while they're AI-controlled, then if someone jumps in they turn into a regular player character.

Maybe there's some programming answer I'm not aware of.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

timeandtide posted:

See, I don't understand why Capcom didn't do that for RE5: have them invincible/infinite ammo (or at least super beefed up) for while they're AI-controlled, then if someone jumps in they turn into a regular player character.

Maybe there's some programming answer I'm not aware of.

Probably balance issues. RE5 was balanced pretty tightly and having an invincible super-partner tends to trivialize things in a bad way. Give Sheva a magnum with infinite ammo and you get a good example of it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Has there ever been an example of a persona in a survival horror game being "saved" and then not either becoming your tag along partner or immediately getting killed? I mean I know it's hard to have random shlubs in zombie world just being left alone but honestly at this point who didn't immediately see dad getting eaten by his daughter the second he mentioned her. It just feels so cliched. The closest thing I can think about is that guy at the beginning of RE3 that Jill leaves in the locked crate who eventually kills himself.

Having said that the game still looks good to me at least.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Radish posted:

Has there ever been an example of a persona in a survival horror game being "saved" and then not either becoming your tag along partner or immediately getting killed? I mean I know it's hard to have random shlubs in zombie world just being left alone but honestly at this point who didn't immediately see dad getting eaten by his daughter the second he mentioned her. It just feels so cliched. The closest thing I can think about is that guy at the beginning of RE3 that Jill leaves in the locked crate who eventually kills himself.

Does House of the Dead count?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Son Ryo posted:

Does House of the Dead count?

I'd say that being a light gun arcade shooter it doesn't but that's good thinking!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Why do we want AI to be invincible? I honestly don't remember Sheva ever dying when she was AI.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Matt Cruea posted:

Why do we want AI to be invincible? I honestly don't remember Sheva ever dying when she was AI.

I don't know about the easier difficulties but on Professional enemies would straight up ignore AI Sheva (unless you're in one of sections where you have to defend her while she opens a door or something). I distinctly remember testing this out by barricading her outside of the house in the village and laughing when they didn't attack her at all. Makes sense though, since Pro was bullshit enough without punishing you for the AI loving up.

Josh on the other hand... gently caress me did the enemies have it out for him. You couldn't heal him, so if anything hit him he died instantly and it was game over. Other than the equally bullshit Gigante fight, that's where I died the most on Pro.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

On Professional, Sheva would constantly die at the end. Like that last 15 minutes with like the exploding hallway gauntlet. She died a lot with the Wesker fight too.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Like I said, my brother might have died more than any AI ever would, and he was stupidly misleading, like saying that shooting Jill in that fight would kill her, which made us spend two hours on that stupid fight.

Anyway, ORC is getting some awful reviews, but is it worth a rent? Could I have a ton of fun with it in multi-player?

I'm also going to pick up Revolations for the 3DS. Looks like really good reviews, but how long is the game and how good is the replay value vs Resident Evil 4/5?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

Anyway, ORC is getting some awful reviews, but is it worth a rent? Could I have a ton of fun with it in multi-player?

If you play single player it will be short and a little tedious and you won't get to try out as much of the fun stuff in the game. Multi-player is where the game haphazardly shines and I had a ton of fun with it and probably ended up playing through it a couple of dozen times through various online campaign play sessions.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Flameingblack posted:

Like I said, my brother might have died more than any AI ever would, and he was stupidly misleading, like saying that shooting Jill in that fight would kill her, which made us spend two hours on that stupid fight.

You really can't understand how playing with another human being whom you presumably like and are talking to in the same room as you is inherently different from and going to be a better experience than dealing with some lovely AI robot, no matter how lovely the dude on the couch is at the game?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Bonaventure posted:

You really can't understand how playing with another human being whom you presumably like and are talking to in the same room as you is inherently different from and going to be a better experience than dealing with some lovely AI robot, no matter how lovely the dude on the couch is at the game?
I beat Resident Evil 5 three times and not once did I ever use the AI V:v:V

By the end of our first playthrough and our Professional playthrough, I certainly didn't like him though!

DrOnline
Oct 21, 2007
So I picked up ORC, it's definitely not mind blowing but I can see myself killing a couple more afternoons with it. If anyone is still playing feel free to throw an invite to GT: Docfail

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

I tried playing co op on one screen in RE 5, holy poo poo that was so bad can't see poo poo on a 40 inch screen. I like how they decided to not bother using the whole screen.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Steinuh posted:

I tried playing co op on one screen in RE 5, holy poo poo that was so bad can't see poo poo on a 40 inch screen. I like how they decided to not bother using the whole screen.

They did the same with lost planet 2, no idea what the hell is wrong with Capcom, if you're gonna half rear end splitscreen like that, why bother including it in the first place.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Alteisen posted:

They did the same with lost planet 2, no idea what the hell is wrong with Capcom, if you're gonna half rear end splitscreen like that, why bother including it in the first place.

I think it's to keep the same screen ratio. If I am not mistaken I think Uncharted 3 does split screen like that. If it didn't things would look really stretched and distorted.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I've picked up Operation Raccoon City from the B2G1 sale at Gamestop. It's way more fun (in my opinion) than the reviews and reputation make it out to be. I would play co-op, but I probably will play pretty sporadically throughout the next week; I'm still having a ton of fun in single player.

Game feels kinda like a third person Left 4 Dead in the Resident Evil universe. The teammates are a little dumb wandering in front of you and taking cover in the range of damaging fire, but other than that I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

e: But if you're on when I am and wanna jump in my campaign, my PSN is SA_Soul_Glo.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 2, 2012

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Can you play it coop split screen?

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
Nope. Would have been a buy for me if it had.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

blackguy32 posted:

I think it's to keep the same screen ratio. If I am not mistaken I think Uncharted 3 does split screen like that. If it didn't things would look really stretched and distorted.

Tons of modern games do it Call of Duty: World at War was the first place I remember seeing it.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

More Leon RE6 gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqc3076Xu6

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Anyone know when the demo is supposed to go live for Dragon's Dogma buyers?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

The demo is up and it's the E3 stuff.

The game is loving glorious. GLORIOUS.

..Though I have a complaint that the enemies aren't as reactive as RE5's. The contextual melee stuff seems a bit confusing too, though it's definitely still there in some manner. The enemies don't obviously go into a long stun state that allows you to do 'leg/arm/head' stuff like before, and the way the sounds/reactions of the enemies mesh together makes it feel like the weapons have less impact than the previous two games. Also the camera/aiming feels a bit 'loose', though I'm sure there will be a way to adjust sensitivity.

Things I noticed while messing around with it are:
There is no true pausing, going into options just makes your character crouch there like a moron looking at a PDA. (fantastic for multiplayer when your partner doesn't realize this)

You can turn off the crosshair and just have only laser sight, and also can change the color of the sight.

Melee weapons have their own contextual melee attacks.. I think. There's definitely melee weapon-only counters and attacks at the very least. Also they don't drain melee stamina.

You can switch between right and left handed aiming by clicking in the right analogue stick.

There's also firing modes for the guns! Sherry's pistol has burst and single shot!

In fact, it seems like melee is even more powerful in this game than the others. Your guns are pretty decent and deal damage but running up to some dude and decking them (or using Sherry's stun rod) does monster damage. The stamina gauge is definitely there for a reason, or else the optimal option in every fight would be to start going bananas on folks.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
God I can't wait. Is the demo coming to the PS3?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Capcom is infuriatingly frustrating when it comes to stuff like that. I've got to buy another Capcom game to get a demo, or wait 60 days to play it with everyone else.

That's not cool.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

How does the early-access stuff actually work? Would I need to outright buy DD and it come as a code or something, or could I rent the game and have access to the demo?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fraction posted:

How does the early-access stuff actually work? Would I need to outright buy DD and it come as a code or something, or could I rent the game and have access to the demo?

The code is on the back of the manual.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

and you have to download it from the Dragons Dogma main menu. Once it's downloaded you don't need the DD disc anymore to play.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
Do we know when the demo will be available to everyone? I'm tempted to actually pick up DD to give RE6 a try.

citizenlowell fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 3, 2012

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

citizenlowell posted:

Do we know when the demo will be available to everyone? I'm tempted to actually pick up DD to give RE6 a try.

About 2 months from now I think.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
I didn't like the RE6 demo at all.

The Leon stuff had some potential, although it suffered from the same dodgy controls as the rest of the game, but the Chris section was flat-out awful. It's bad enough that this Gears of War-style cover shooter stuff has no place in a Resident Evil game in the first place, but they didn't even do a good job with it.

The enemies barely react to your gunshots at all (can't believe we went from RE4/5's incredible weapon feedback to this), and the game has the most over-the-top implementation of auto aim I've ever experienced. Melee looks cool, but it's fairly clunky, and poorly implemented compared to how it was used in the previous games, whilst item managment is horrible. (The UI in general is really poor)

It's kind of hard to describe how off everything in the game feels without actually playing it yourself. Character movement is super weird - the dedicated run button has gone, but movement speed isn't fixed... you just sort of run as fast as Leon/Chris decide is best for the situation, whilst aiming feels really loose. I guess it all just feels really shoddily put together, especially when the core mechanics of 4 and 5 are so incredibly solid.

I'm just really, really disappointed. Resident Evil 4 is still my favourite game of all time, and I've been a huge fan of the franchise as a whole since the original RE came out. This is a huge let down, especially considering how much I enjoyed Revelations earlier this year.

Ein Bear fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 3, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

ImpAtom posted:

Is the code multi-use then? It'll work from a rental copy's manual if someone's used the code before?

If so, I'm running out to blockbusters to pick up DD tomorrow. I've been meaning to rent it anyway so this'd be the icing on the cake.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fraction posted:

Is the code multi-use then? It'll work from a rental copy's manual if someone's used the code before?

If so, I'm running out to blockbusters to pick up DD tomorrow. I've been meaning to rent it anyway so this'd be the icing on the cake.

No you have to redeem it through XBL so I am assuming it's not multi use. Although if you rent a copy today it probably hasn't been used yet.

Do rental games still come with manuals? Are there still Blockbusters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
I don't know if it's cool to post a link to it or not, but some guys on GAF have stuck the demo up to download and put on a USB stick to play.