Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Evil Eagle posted:

It's like I'm actually playing FFI right now. I kind of wish someone would make a permanent fiestabot, because I'm having a lot of fun playing the game like this.
You could just make a random number function in a spreadsheet and do it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Idioteque Dance posted:

I'm just picking up my game of FF5 after several months, this should be a good place to ask since you've all just beat it. I have the airship in world 3 and I'm about to descend into where library of the ancients was. I can't remember what came before this at all - are there any sidequests or summons to get before I go there? I notice its a point of no return of sorts and I think I'm a little underlevelled anyway.

You're supposed to be gathering the twelve legendary weapons (which are weapons, and legendary, and twelve in number). There are four dungeons to beat - you've beaten at least one if you have the airship - and you get a "tablet" from each of them. Each tablet nets you three weapons, plus you find a selection of goodies in chests in each dungeon.

And post-airship world 3 is basically sidequest central. Three of those four dungeons are themselves technically sidequests. Without knowing what you have or haven't done yet - and you probably aren't too sure yourself - it makes it hard to suggest what to do next.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Idioteque Dance posted:

I'm just picking up my game of FF5 after several months, this should be a good place to ask since you've all just beat it. I have the airship in world 3 and I'm about to descend into where library of the ancients was. I can't remember what came before this at all - are there any sidequests or summons to get before I go there? I notice its a point of no return of sorts and I think I'm a little underlevelled anyway.

I assume you mean entering the black hole where Tycoon Castle used to be (the hole where the Library of the Ancients was doesn't do anything). You can try and figure out where you are by going to the castle NE of Tule (first town you can go to. Slightly North of center on the map- apologies if place names are off; I'm used to the crappy PSX version). Run through the castle to get to the room with the Legendary weapons- place any lithographs you have on the sparkly pedestal and take some weapons. Once you're out of Lithographs, check how many legendary weapons are left- 3 per lithograph.

Also, the only point of no return in this game is literally getting in a fight with the last boss. You can even meet the boss and see the pre-boss cinematics and STILL leave.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
edit: ^^^ my question answered before I even hit post, thanks.

Good to know. Well I've definitely done the pyramid, I don't recall getting any others.

Just wandered into the sealed castle and it'll let me choose 3 weapons from the room. I guess that means if I have the 4 tablets, I can choose all 12?

I noticed another hole in the ocean, too! Figured there was just the one hole in the ocean and where The Next Main Plot Thing was going to be.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Idioteque Dance posted:

You can hypothetically go to the final dungeon right now, but yeah you'd be pretty underleveled and you probably won't have any of the top-level skills yet. Also, there actually is no point of no return, since you can teleport out of the dungeon whenever you want to.

First things first, go to Faris's pirate hideout where you can get an awesome wind-based summon. Equip an Air Knife on your summoner and it will be stronger than Bahamut at half the cost.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does party job choice really matter in Final Fantasy 12 IZJS? I imagine any combination will wind up making GBS threads damage once everyone is leveled, but wanted to ask before I start locking in.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It actually really does matter for a couple reasons. For one you can't ever change jobs. For two each class has has a pretty specific set of abilities so its easy to build an unbalanced party. Finally jobs have secondary abilities that can be unlocked using Espers, but only one job can use a specific Esper. Meaning that if you make a team that overlaps a lot in this way you'll have to make some tough decisions later on regarding what abilities you want to sacrifice.

That being said like 90% of the games content can be completed with literally any party but some things to keep in mind are:

-Monks, Breakers and Uhlans have powerful debuffs that are very good against some of the harder bosses. Monks and Uhlans can also attack flying enemies with their polearms/spears.

-Magic is buffed a lot in IZJS. White, Black and Red mages are all good, but Time mages I don't think are as useful.

-Having at least one party member with all the Remedy lores is very useful. The jobs that do are Archers, Hunters and Machinists.

-Knights and Samurai have the highest DPS potential at least in my experience so I'd take at least one.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well, I was thinking of grabbing an Uhlan, Red Mage, and a Samurai for my main party. Sounds like I don't have anything to worry about!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Robo Reagan posted:

Does party job choice really matter in Final Fantasy 12 IZJS? I imagine any combination will wind up making GBS threads damage once everyone is leveled, but wanted to ask before I start locking in.

While I'm sure you can beat the game using any combination, for an easier time you're going to want to make sure you have a good variety of physical and magical damage, ranged damage, healing, and buffs. That said, the classes are balanced pretty well so that it's hard to screw yourself. For example, you can get magical damage from Black Mage, Red Mage, Uhlan, and a bunch of classes have Shades of Black as a last resort. Also, rods, spears, and poles can now hit flying enemies, so it's hard to end up with no ranged physical damage. If you have enough classes with a bunch of Item-boosting licenses, they can do decent healing in lieu of magical healing.

tl;dr: balanced job choices can definitely make your life easier, but you should be able to struggle through with almost any combination.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So I've hit a snag in my solo Edge run. There's a boss that only casts two things: Doom and Haste. They don't even so much as attack. The problem is that there is no way to block Doom with equipment. Doom gets through instant death protection and cannot be blocked. It can be reflected, but the boss casts Doom before Edge can act, and I don't think even maxing my Agility will work here. My only hope would be if I can get a Preemptive Strike on the boss, which I don't think works for bosses.

I think my only option is to bring along an extra body to throw Phoenix Downs while Edge attacks. If anyone has any better suggestions, I'm definitely open. TAY essentially stole its mechanics from the GBA version, so anything that would work there should work there, if that helps.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
I just finished a ffv normal run with Thief/Mystic knight/Hunter/Chemist

I had no real problems through the whole run except for the drat Hiryuu plant (i think that is probably a bad translation because i was using the version with butz) in world 2, it cast old on my whole party and took me almost an hour to knock it down with 70hp hits.

I had a lot of fun with it and will probably try hard mode next year

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Finally done!

Not the hardest combination of jobs, I'm sure, but I forgot how frustrating some of the final bosses could be.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harlock posted:

You could just make a random number function in a spreadsheet and do it yourself.

I've done the random number generation for this before, and just in case it helps someone...

- There are 20 crystal jobs in the normal game, which are those included in the fiesta pool. Traveler and Mimic bring the total to 22 if you were to include them, and the Advance jobs bring this total to 26.

- There are 6 wind crystal jobs, 5 water crystal jobs, 5 fire crystal jobs (in sets of 3 and 2), and 4 earth crystal jobs. Mimic is technically the 6th water crystal job, but the fiesta doesn't use it because (like Traveler) it's sort of outside the normal system rules and you also can't acquire it until World 3.

Given those numbers, it's pretty simple to use a spreadsheet or any kind of online dice roller or random number generator to create a fiesta party of your own. There's also a lot of little rules modifications you could do like including Traveler in the wind and Mimic in the water or earth list, rolling a different job for each half of the fire crystal (giving you a pool of 5), or using the Hard Mode method with a no-duplicates clause. You can do even crazier stuff with hex editing in an emulator or cheat device, like opening all the jobs from the beginning so you can do a Fire Only run or something.

Final Fantasy V owns.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

For example, you can get magical damage from Black Mage, Red Mage, Uhlan, and a bunch of classes have Shades of Black as a last resort.

I want to point out that Shades of Black became a much better skill in IZJS, too. In vanilla FFXII, Shades of Black was weighted to almost always give basic spells. In IZJS, they removed the weighting, so now you're much more likely to get hard hitting spells. It's also available significantly earlier, and to the point where Shades of Black is a legitimate attack option for a good while.

Also, Larsa/Lamont knows Shades of Black, but he won't ever use it unless you change his gambits. If you do, his Magic is significantly higher than his Strength. Shades of Black will do hilarious amounts of damage on your first trip to the Lhusu Mines.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Miracon posted:

I want to point out that Shades of Black became a much better skill in IZJS, too. In vanilla FFXII, Shades of Black was weighted to almost always give basic spells. In IZJS, they removed the weighting, so now you're much more likely to get hard hitting spells. It's also available significantly earlier, and to the point where Shades of Black is a legitimate attack option for a good while.

Also, Larsa/Lamont knows Shades of Black, but he won't ever use it unless you change his gambits. If you do, his Magic is significantly higher than his Strength. Shades of Black will do hilarious amounts of damage on your first trip to the Lhusu Mines.

Yeah, I always set him up with Shades of Black, and laugh as he busts out with Scathe on a regular basis.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Miracon posted:

You can change guest characters' gambits in IZJS?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

You can change guest characters' gambits in IZJS?

Yes, as well as directly control them if need be. Same with Espers. You can't change guest characters' equipment though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yes, as well as directly control them if need be. Same with Espers. You can't change guest characters' equipment though.

I suppose that means Larsa no longer has infinite X-Potions when you meet him at Jahara. Well, that just made Tiamat harder...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

MrAristocrates posted:

I suppose that means Larsa no longer has infinite X-Potions when you meet him at Jahara. Well, that just made Tiamat harder...

Yeah, losing his infinite stock of Hi-Potions and X-Potions is sad, but you can make him and all the other guests MUCH more useful, so it's a fair trade off. Especially since guests can gain levels in IZJS and aren't just experience leeches.

So, in my second run of the Fiesta, I have crushed my enemies, seen them driven before me, and heard the lamentations of their women.

My ludicrously powerful team of Black Mage, Summoner, Ninja, and Chemist has made short work of all foes. First up, Omega:

He was actually the worst of the lot by far. I put Wall Rings and !Mix on everyone, and came into the battle floating. I set the battle speed to slowest, which seemed to help a lot. In order to have any chance, I NEEDED to get a preemptive attack or he'd crush me with his superior speed; luckily I had a Ninja to boost my rate significantly. First round; Mix haste on everyone. He would then use his opening attack, but the Wall rings disable all of them. Second round- Mix Dragon Kiss for the heavy flag to nullify the rocket punches and Maelstroms. Not everyone got theirs off before he used Wave Cannon. Third round- OH GOD HEAL. With luck, his next attacks bounce off my wall rings or miss thanks to float/status immunities. Then I mix the fire-absorbing mix for everyone. After that, everyone was on healing duty but my black mage, who reflected Bolt 3 off my wall rings for big numbers. It took a bunch of tries to get right, but he got recycled in the end.

Next challenger, Shinryu:

Next to Omega, he was a breeze. Primed up the Wonder Wand to cast Berserk, then gave everyone haste shoes and !Twin (the Ninja skill to give you the image status). Squeezed in the Wonder Wand attack with my Summmoner before he got off his Tidal Wave, and imaged everyone else. Of course, Shinryu's first attack killed my un-imaged Summoner. But I got him back on his feet, and refreshed anyone's images once they got swiped at once, and he went down in no time. All my Chemist could do was plink at him for ~230 damage with the Assassin Knife, but my other characters were up to the challenge.

Finally, we have ExDeath:

And poor ExDeath was the saddest boss of all. Haste shoes on everyone and a couple characters with !Mix, and it was all over before it started. Put up a Golem wall first thing, then mixed everyone some Dragon Kisses for status immunities. Doubled our Max HP, gave everyone protect and shell, then blew all my dragon fangs on cranking up my levels. Interestingly, level does not really seem to affect magic damage, as my Firagas and Syldra didn't seem to do any more damage when my characters were level 120 than they did when they were level 38. My Ninja, however, went from doing ~4,000 with the Double Lance/Chicken Knife to about 13,000. Nice.

Anyways, put up Carbuncle and laid into ExDeath, and he died swiftly. After Neo showed up, I tried to use Break on the bottom portion, but even with my ludicrously inflated levels I couldn't get it to stick. No matter; his front half took one swipe that Golem blocked, and his back part got his own Delta Attack reflected back in his face. He got no more attacks. I went through both phases of the battle without taking a single hit point of damage.

So final thoughts:

Chemist - Surprisingly underwhelming, not that you can tell from my above tales where everything hinged on !Mix. The problem is the Chemist has very little to contribute to 95% of battles, but when it's helpful it's very helpful. The problem is most good mixes use rarish ingredients, and it takes too long to buff your whole team unless everyone has Mix and your entire strategy revolves around it. Most of the time, it reminded me of my Red Mage from last year- holding the healing staff in feeble hands not made for violence. Perhaps if I didn't have such other good classes, Chemist would've had more chance to shine.

Summoner - Excellent class. Best range of elements to choose from in the game for great non-reflectable damage. I also skipped all the level 1 summons, Ramuh, and Catoblepas (wish I'd skipped Shiva and maybe Carbunkle too), making !Call an awesome free attack. Put that on my Summoner and Black Mage (and sometimes Chemist), and random battles rarely lasted longer than a turn. Odin and Bahamut fuckin' everywhere. And of course, Golem was a key element when everyone on my team was made of tissue paper.

Black Mage - For most bosses in world 3, the strategy was: 1. Reflect Team; 2. Have everyone bounce -aga spells off ourselves. Needless to say, things died quickly. Thanks to !Call, I never had to use any Ethers, but people who are less obsessive hoarders could really just nuke everything into the ground throughout the whole game. I ground for Flame Rings for healing, but only ended up using them once or twice because things died too fast.

Ninja - Surprisingly redundant, since the elemental scrolls were rarely needed on this team. I bad mouthed Thieves earlier, but after using !Flee on my last run and !Smoke on this run, I've become completely reliant on automatic escaping for getting around. Also, Ninjas can use the Chicken Knife (bottom hand, under the Double Lance) with no ill effects, which automatically makes them worthwhile. But before I got the Chicken Knife, Ninja actually didn't contribute all that much, since the bulk of my offense nuked the entire enemy team, so things would die about the same time whether or not my ninja had poked at them first.

And with that, I think I'm done Fiestaing for the year.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Given those numbers, it's pretty simple to use a spreadsheet or any kind of online dice roller or random number generator to create a fiesta party of your own. There's also a lot of little rules modifications you could do like including Traveler in the wind and Mimic in the water or earth list, rolling a different job for each half of the fire crystal (giving you a pool of 5), or using the Hard Mode method with a no-duplicates clause. You can do even crazier stuff with hex editing in an emulator or cheat device, like opening all the jobs from the beginning so you can do a Fire Only run or something.

Final Fantasy V owns.

I tried to make a lovely thing in google docs for this but it's not working right with our firewall here so it's stuck as an excel spreadsheet.

Edit: Oh drat looks like it won't even attach a screenshot correctly. Well I got it to do this :v:

Hard Mode: Time Mage/Mystic Knight/Mystic Knight/Black Mage
Normal Mode: Blue Mage/Red Mage/Bard/Dancer

Hard Mode: Samurai /White Mage/Ninja/White Mage
Normal Mode: Thief/Berserker/Ranger/Dragoon

Hard Mode: Geomancer/Time Mage/Red Mage/Thief
Normal Mode: Monk/Summoner/Beastmaster/Dancer

It'll just keep spitting out random jobs. For hard mode it's any 4, for normal mode it's 1 of each crystal.

Oh wait Hard mode is wrong, it's supposed to only give you jobs you could have at that point right? Oops, well easy fix

Only registered members can see post attachments!

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 3, 2012

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Robo Reagan posted:

I know I've been having a lot of fun running Knight/Breaker tanks with White/Red/Black/Time mage support/damage.

I have every base covered, every spell and tech. Full buffs, debuffs, and everything in between while still making GBS threads out damage. A bunch of obnoxious traps? Float over all of them. Bunch of dudes with every buff in the universe? Dispellga. Super high HP rear end in a top hat? Death.

Nothing says steamroller like watching Basch kick out 5 digit numbers every swing with Berserk/Haste/Bravery:

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 3, 2012

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I was right in the middle of a game, but this FFV Fiesta malarky seems way too fun not to pass up - seriously FFV's job system gives me the biggest nerd boner so I can't wait to see how this plays out.

I rushed through to the water crystal and have been assigned Blue Mage and Summoner - going all Blue until they've learned !Blue, though, then the summoners will at least have Aero and so on for small MP usage.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Idioteque Dance posted:

I rushed through to the water crystal and have been assigned Blue Mage and Summoner - going all Blue until they've learned !Blue, though, then the summoners will at least have Aero and so on for small MP usage.

Actually, that's not allowed - you have to have at least one of each of your assigned jobs at all times. :) If you already have Summoner, you have to have at least one Summoner.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Ooh! Good job you told me that now. Thanks.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Another tip: If you give someone a subjob they get bonuses from it. So a Blue Mage with !Summon 5 gets much stronger blue magic, since Summoners have the best Magic stat in the game.

This also means your last 2 jobs can be anything at all and still have powerful spells available to them :v: !Blue is great on a lot of classes that don't have high magic because many of the spells don't use the Magic stat. White Wind heals your whole party based on HP so the beefier classes are actually better at casting it than a Blue Mage would be.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Probably a good job I made Lenna my sole blue mage then! Got everyone else with Learning since Chocobo slays everything at this point. I've actually played through most of the game twice now, but never finished, though I never really looked into the intricacies of how the stats and jobs work together.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Berk Berkly posted:

I know I've been having a lot of fun running Knight/Breaker tanks with White/Red/Black/Time mage support/damage.

I have every base covered, every spell and tech. Full buffs, debuffs, and everything in between while still making GBS threads out damage. A bunch of obnoxious traps? Float over all of them. Bunch of dudes with every buff in the universe? Dispellga. Super high HP rear end in a top hat? Death.

Nothing says steamroller like watching Basch kick out 5 digit numbers every swing with Berserk/Haste/Bravery:

In vanilla FF12 I also realized I broke the game by giving Basch the strongest weapon I had and keeping those buffs on him at all times. He would run off, get a 3 kill chain before I catch up.

In the Zodiac version does one job get all 3 of those buffs?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

No actually IIRC each one of those is on a different job. Haste on Time mage, Berserk on Red mage and Brave on White mage, although you can substitute Bacchus Wines for the berserk status. A cool thing I like about the IZJS is that most of the good spells you won't find in shops, you'll have to grab them outta chests. Brave and Faith are a couple I remember being a nice consolation prize for checking out the Necrohol early (the Zodiac spear isn't there anymore).

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 3, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh wait Hard mode is wrong, it's supposed to only give you jobs you could have at that point right? Oops, well easy fix

It's any four from crystals you've already reached, so what you have here wouldn't work. You'll always have at least one wind job on hard mode.

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010

I think I'll try Hard Mode if I do another run. This was not really too different from my first playthrough except mildly harder with no Bard to boost everyone's levels.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Time Mage gets Berserk and Haste, White Mage and Monk get Bravery. Knights can also get Bravery with the right Esper.

You can also use accessories to get Haste and Berserk, although you can only wear one accessory at a time. So theoretically a Knight could have Haste from the accessory, cast Bravery on himself, then use a Bacchus' wine to get berserk (although that item misses about half the time) to be self-sufficient.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Another tip: If you give someone a subjob they get bonuses from it. So a Blue Mage with !Summon 5 gets much stronger blue magic, since Summoners have the best Magic stat in the game.

Second best magic! :eng101:

Oracle has a higher magic stat. Of course, in the Four Job Fiesta and non GBA versions the Oracle isn't in the carts.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

It's any four from crystals you've already reached, so what you have here wouldn't work. You'll always have at least one wind job on hard mode.

Yeah I realized this later. Seems kinda flawed as a lot of the wind jobs are simple but useful, like I'm pretty sure a Knight is better than a Dragoon at any point of the game and "Hard" mode can give you an easier party a lot of the time.

quote:

Second best magic!

Oracle has a higher magic stat. Of course, in the Four Job Fiesta and non GBA versions the Oracle isn't in the carts.

Yeah but the Oracle is a lovely job otherwise :v: it would actually make a four job fiesta hard if you could somehow start with it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah I realized this later. Seems kinda flawed as a lot of the wind jobs are simple but useful, like I'm pretty sure a Knight is better than a Dragoon at any point of the game and "Hard" mode can give you an easier party a lot of the time.

Yeah but the Oracle is a lovely job otherwise :v: it would actually make a four job fiesta hard if you could somehow start with it.

On the other hand it can give you a lot harder party like one monk and three berserkers :getin:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Maybe I'll try Extreme Mode, where I use cheats to unlock all the jobs immediately and have them all available. Maybe even add Freelancer/Mime and the GBA jobs to the mix. Getting the later jobs could actually make the early parts of the game more difficult since some won't really have good equipment options yet.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

In vanilla FF12 I also realized I broke the game by giving Basch the strongest weapon I had and keeping those buffs on him at all times. He would run off, get a 3 kill chain before I catch up.

Nope, only Time Mages have Berserk and Haste.

I'm actually ramping up the play the hard mode NEW GAME+ which from what I understand is significantly challenging. There are actually two versions, and one I believe you don't really get any levels.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah honestly I did Hard this year and it feels like the most common scenario is stacking up on Wind/Water jobs which doesn't really make the game harder; Knight isn't flashy but having one is never a liability and Blue/White/Black/Summoner are probably the best jobs in the game so it's not like extra chances to get them is a bad thing.

It's really just gambling against the small chance of getting 2 Thieves or Berserkers I guess. And there's a pretty lovely trade-off in that you often don't get a Fire/Earth job at all and some of those (Geomancer and Dancer come to mind) are among the most underplayed and underappreciated jobs that the fiesta can give you an excuse to mess with.

Mega64 posted:

Maybe I'll try Extreme Mode, where I use cheats to unlock all the jobs immediately and have them all available. Maybe even add Freelancer/Mime and the GBA jobs to the mix. Getting the later jobs could actually make the early parts of the game more difficult since some won't really have good equipment options yet.

This sounds like fun! Traveler/Freelancer is actually sort of deceptively powerful even without having multiple jobs mastered because while their base stats are pretty crappy being able to equip everything counts for a lot. Like as soon as you master Knight, it's basically just a Knight who can also equip Ribbons and break rods. I assume that's why it isn't included in the fiesta.

Baku fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 3, 2012

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Yea I agree, Hard mode isn't necessarily difficult when you have a chance of getting some really stellar teams that aren't possible in Normal mode. Usually if you luck into even 1 of the really powerful jobs (Mystic Knight, Chemist, Black Mage, etc...) the game becomes a cakewalk regardless.

Next year I'd love to see a "Weak" mode, where Gilgabot basically only assigns you jobs from a pool of the community-decided weak or flawed jobs. A good example can be found if you look at the Job Fair prices set for each job, and basically take all the cheapest costing jobs. So for example;
    Weak Wind Jobs: Freelancer, Monk, Thief
    Weak Water Jobs: Berserker, Red Mage, Time Mage
    Weak Fire Jobs: Beastmaster, Geomancer
    Weak Earth Jobs: Dragoon, Dancer
Then you could combine Weak-mode with Hard-mode to almost guarantee yourself some really awful, and consequently challenging, team setups.

Even then, Time Mage and Freelancer might be too good for this type of challenge lol.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah honestly I did Hard this year and it feels like the most common scenario is stacking up on Wind/Water jobs which doesn't really make the game harder; Knight isn't flashy but having one is never a liability and Blue/White/Black/Summoner are probably the best jobs in the game so it's not like extra chances to get them is a bad thing.

It's really just gambling against the small chance of getting 2 Thieves or Berserkers I guess. And there's a pretty lovely trade-off in that you often don't get a Fire/Earth job at all and some of those (Geomancer and Dancer come to mind) are among the most underplayed and underappreciated jobs that the fiesta can give you an excuse to mess with.

That's why I did normal for my second run; I actually wanted to play around with some later jobs instead of all Wind, all the time.

Also, you CAN get Freelancer/Mime in the Fiesta- you just need to buy them through the job fair for tons of real money.

Berk Berkly posted:

Nope, only Time Mages have Berserk and Haste.

I'm actually ramping up the play the hard mode NEW GAME+ which from what I understand is significantly challenging. There are actually two versions, and one I believe you don't really get any levels.

You mean the mode you unlock for beating all 100 levels of Trial Mode or whatever it is? I'll admit I never got around to doing that, but yeah, weak mode has all characters locked at level 1 (or maybe starting levels, so 1/2/2/3/3/3 or something). I imagine that would indeed be really freaking hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think the real problem is that short of having multiples of problematic (Berserker) or low damage (Thief) jobs, the only way to really make FF5 harder is to start taking party members away. It's a testament to how well-designed the job system is that people have beaten the game with pretty much every possible fiesta party because even the "bad" jobs own certain parts of the game, have very specific uses, or have unexpected synergies with more popular jobs. It really just isn't a very difficult game once you beat it a few times and figure out its guts instead of relying on Rapidfire spam.

And despite saying that, many of the Cleft bosses and Exdeath are still tougher than the other SNES FF games unless you grind madly, including the "harder" versions of FF4.

Baku fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 3, 2012