Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

nocturama posted:

Not really true

If you are rejecting the notion that Asafoetida tastes like arsehole then you are correct. As far as recipes using it instead of garlic and onion, there is, as far as I can recall, a particular Hindi sect in the Kashmir region that doesn't eat onion and garlic for religious reasons, and they substitute Asafoetida powder, so many recipies that originate in that region would not use onions and garlic. This is however not true of the majority of Indian Cuisine.

Indian Cuisine is great for cheap and tasty cooking, and nothing beats it if you want to reduce your meat intake while still cooking lovely food. If you are the sort of person who likes having cookbooks, I really recommend this one for cheap, home style Indian cooking:

http://www.amazon.com/From-Mom-love-Complete-Entertaining/dp/0976185121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340114172&sr=8-1&keywords=from+mom+with+love

It's a tad annoying for me, because I have to convert the measurements to metric but most of you reading this are American so it shouldn't be an issue for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

The Lord Bude posted:

If you are rejecting the notion that Asafoetida tastes like arsehole then you are correct. As far as recipes using it instead of garlic and onion, there is, as far as I can recall, a particular Hindi sect in the Kashmir region that doesn't eat onion and garlic for religious reasons, and they substitute Asafoetida powder, so many recipies that originate in that region would not use onions and garlic. This is however not true of the majority of Indian Cuisine.

Indian Cuisine is great for cheap and tasty cooking, and nothing beats it if you want to reduce your meat intake while still cooking lovely food. If you are the sort of person who likes having cookbooks, I really recommend this one for cheap, home style Indian cooking:

http://www.amazon.com/From-Mom-love-Complete-Entertaining/dp/0976185121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340114172&sr=8-1&keywords=from+mom+with+love

It's a tad annoying for me, because I have to convert the measurements to metric but most of you reading this are American so it shouldn't be an issue for you.

I didn't say it tasted like arsehole, just that it smells like it. I don't want it around, a friend brought some over before and even through a tightly screwed jar within a plastic bag, it STANK STANK STANK. Of course everyone is free to choose what they want to work with, but personally I didn't think that the flavor it brought was worth keeping that stench around.

Back on the cheap eats, has anyone tried making their own paneer? It looks really easy based on the instructions I've seen online... and even from the Indian market it was still like $5/lb.

EVG fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 19, 2012

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Regarding onions and garlic, I think it's Jainism that prohibits consuming root vegetables.

Regarding making your own paneer, it is super easy and a very fun, simple introduction to cheese-making. I'm one of those people who finds new and creative ways of screwing up in the kitchen on a daily basis, and I had no problems making paneer my first try. The recipe on Manjula's kitchen served me well.

Just keep in mind that you get a fairly small amount of paneer from a fairly large amount of milk. It may be that a pound of pre-made paneer will cost you less than the milk for a pound of home-made. I tried to look up some numbers because I couldn't recall from my own batches, but the reports vary from anywhere between half a gallon to two gallons to produce a pound of paneer, which is pretty unhelpful!

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
While you're at the Indian market, pick up a bottle of rose water. It's used in a lot of recipes, and it's also a fantastic way to stay fresh longer after a shower.

EDIT: Might want to make that two bottles and keep them separate

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

redmercer posted:

and it's also a fantastic way to stay fresh longer after a shower.

Umm excuse me, but :what:?

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Doh004 posted:

Umm excuse me, but :what:?
You can use it as a splash/cologne thing. I like orange-flower water much better for this, as it does not smell like Grandma.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

As far as recipes using it instead of garlic and onion, there is, as far as I can recall, a particular Hindi sect in the Kashmir region that doesn't eat onion and garlic for religious reasons, and they substitute Asafoetida powder, so many recipies that originate in that region would not use onions and garlic. This is however not true of the majority of Indian Cuisine.

I believe Hare Krishnas (aka ISKCON)also use asafoetida instead of onion and garlic because they inflame the passions or Lord Krishna doesn't like them or something. People who were introduced to Indian Cuisine through their local Hare Krishna group may believe that the use of asafoetida as a substitute for garlic and onion is more widespread than it actually is.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

EVG posted:

Back on the cheap eats, has anyone tried making their own paneer? It looks really easy based on the instructions I've seen online... and even from the Indian market it was still like $5/lb.

I've done it a few times and it's really really easy, but you do have to make it a good bit before you need it. Here's the method I use:

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2008/05/24/how-to-make-paneer/

Things to note:
- Rinse out the cloth you are going to use when you are squeezing out the whey, laundry detergent is not a good paneer flavour :(.
- Weight-lifting weights are great for squeezing out the whey.
- It freezes really well so make a good big batch; I made a batch out of about 4 litres of milk that were getting close to their use-by date and I had enough cheese for about 8 dinners.

MuffinShark
Sep 9, 2010

spite house posted:

Fiesta Mart on the northbound I-35 frontage road, at about 45th. The only way to fly. It's a big cheerful Mexican market that strongly resembles the Cancun Wal-Mart. Sometimes they get in avocado and mango price wars with the HEB in the Hancock Center on the other side of the highway.

If you want to splurge on fancy produce or pick up great, cheap bulk spices, go to Central Market on Lamar, emphatically not the Whole Foods mothership. CMart is cheaper and the downtown Whole Foods is even more infuriating than Whole Foods usually is.

Wheatsville Co-Op sometimes has a free box.

(And it's "y'all", not "guys". Might as well get used to it now.)

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. I am looking forward to getting back to the south. I miss the warm weather and friendly people.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Here's a tip I just thought I would share since I wasted a lot of money yesterday at the hobby shop.

If you eat out at the cheap, hole in the wall places that only do take out you can usually get some really nice containers. The indian place I go to once a week does a lot of really cheap, delicious food (8$ for meat curry with rice, 2$ for onion bahji and 5$ for spiced vegetable dish, perfect for 2 people) and they always put most of the food in the round, plastic containers. Other than being a little stained from the curry and spices they are perfect for packing lunch in, freezing stuff, or just for leftovers in general. That way I don't have to buy tupperware and risk having it crack in the freezer or waste $5 a container.

It's just a nice extra if you're going to be spending a little money on take out I guess!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
RE Asafoetida chat. In the South, the Tamil brahmins avoid garlic and onion too. However, in modern years, they don't care. But the food doesn't taste right without the asafoetida. So my mum would make a dish with mustard seed, asafoetida, cumin seed, urad daal (those are the tarka spices), then add onions and ginger, turmeric, chiles, curry leaves, etc.

The people who complain about the smell are the ones keeping it in hermetically sealed jars and all kind of other faggotry. Just let the plastic bottle sit out on the shelf, and the smell will be gone within a day. If you try to contain the smell, it just intensifies, and knocks you out. It's like when someone smokes a cigarette in your house. You don't try to contain the smell by keeping all the windows shut. You open up the windows, let your apartment air out, and move on with life.

Although it can be used as a garlic/onion substitute, it's really a spice in its own right, and South Indian food just doesn't taste right without it. You'll get close, but it'll never have that taste.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
This is probably crazy simple, but I ate an awesome dinner for what amounts to less than $1

My local grocer sells a half dozen of eggs for $.89. It sells a tube of chorizo for $1. A loaf of bread for $2.50, and potatoes for crazy cheap too.

I just made a fried egg, fried some chorizo around it, scrambled up the whites, let the yolk stay runny, hashed some potato, and put it over toast.

It was so good, I made it again for breakfast today :D

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

Capsaicin posted:

This is probably crazy simple, but I ate an awesome dinner for what amounts to less than $1

My local grocer sells a half dozen of eggs for $.89. It sells a tube of chorizo for $1. A loaf of bread for $2.50, and potatoes for crazy cheap too.

I just made a fried egg, fried some chorizo around it, scrambled up the whites, let the yolk stay runny, hashed some potato, and put it over toast.

It was so good, I made it again for breakfast today :D

Just don't eat it over and over and over to the point where you are utterly sick of it.

Easiest way to save money is to just not be afraid of experimenting with cooking (and learning to cook) -- also, not 'cooking' crap like *-a roni.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

SoleilEquil posted:

Just don't eat it over and over and over to the point where you are utterly sick of it.

Easiest way to save money is to just not be afraid of experimenting with cooking (and learning to cook) -- also, not 'cooking' crap like *-a roni.

Yeah, I bought a bag of red beans and a bag of chickpeas. My beans have been in water since last night, and I'm gonna cook them up with some rice and some chorizo later.

Springly
Dec 10, 2011

Hey guys, sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I've been obsessing over my new favourite poor-person food:congee!

Replace the turkey leg with chicken thigh/drumstick/carcass and it works just as well. The only other ingredients definitely required are salt/soy sauce and ginger.
If you wait the full time the texture is incredible.

Given the tiny amount of actual rice involved I think it's probably really healthy too, and it makes you feel full.

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012
Something I like to make that is generally pretty cheap is Spicy Sausage Pasta.

Very easy to make.

1 med-large onion
1 lb. spicy Italian seasoned ground pork (aka bulk sausage)
2-5 cloves garlic (I go more depending on how strong it is)
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2-3 tbs balsamic vinegar
some olive oil
herbs de provence
1 lb pasta, spaghetti or linguini

Crush up garlic, start in pan with olive oil, cook for 30-60 seconds. Throw in chopped onion an cook until a little soft. Toss in the sausage and brown up a bit. Open can of tomatoes, pour into pan. Reduce heat some and cook the tomatoes for a while until the mixture has reduced some, then stir in the balsamic vinegar. Continue to cook on low until thinks start to thicken up a bit, and add some herbs de provence. The longer you cook it the better the tomato flavor will be; I generally let it go an hour or more stirring occasionally. If it gets to thick, add water (cheap) or red wine (posh) and let simmer down.

When it is close make the pasta and you have your self a tasty meal for days. This should make about enough sauce to cover that pound of pasta you just made.

If you are feeling spendy, some parmesan cheese is great on this, but I know the OP is trying to keep it cheap.

Dirty Phil fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 3, 2012

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hint: putting spices into ground (beef/pork/chicken) in the fridge for a night makes your own delicious sausage.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Hint: putting spices into ground (beef/pork/chicken) in the fridge for a night makes your own delicious sausage.

Uh, how so? Sausage is a completely different thing than just ground meat + spices.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Uh, how so? Sausage is a completely different thing than just ground meat + spices.

hahahahahahahaha no.

edit: actually, now I'm done being a jerk and am curious as to what the hell you think sausages are made of.
Because I'm a butcher. Raw meat + spices, ground up and shoved into intestines are exactly what sausages are.

TheNothingNew fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 3, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

That person said nothing about casing.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

That person said nothing about casing.

Rather beside the point, I think.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Oh you're just being pedantic I see.

Sausage is meat + spices + salt + casing.

Omitting the casing gives you proto-sausage meatstuff.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
To be fair, some forms of sausage aren't put in casings.

But I don't associate with those sausages.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sausage isn't an ingredient list, it is a technique. There are subtleties to the temperature and texture of the grind, the pressure and finesse in the stuff, and the ratio of fat that is significantly more than ground meat + spices.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh you're just being pedantic I see.

Sausage is meat + spices + salt + casing.

Omitting the casing gives you proto-sausage meatstuff.

Or loose sausage :colbert:.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Square sausage is the best.
:scotland:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Huh, looks like I touched off a shitshow! By "you can make your own sausage" I meant that, instead of buying "Italian sausage" that looks identical to ground meat in the supermarket, you can instead buy the ground meat (which is likely cheaper) and then put spices in yourself.

Yes, if you want the casing, you'll need equipment or just buy premade sausages, and if you feel loose sausage and ground meat + spices are vastly, incredibly different, then whatever floats your boat I guess.

edit: realizing this is kinda snarky, if there truly is a huge difference, by all means, I'm curious.

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 3, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's fine, it's just loving sausage. Ricola is just being a dick.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Keema Matar is a delicious and extremely filling curry made from minced lamb (or beef) and peas.

Once you've built up your spice shelf it's also very cheap; I just made a big pot of it with about 2lb of perfectly fresh minced beef steak which was being clearanced at 50 cent a pack, so the the whole giant pot of food cost around 3 euro to make.

I use this recipe as a basis:

http://101things.wordpress.com/2006/06/17/kheema-matar-minced-lamb-curry-with-peas/

but I add in a bit more of every spice plus throw a stick of cinnamon into the pot whilst it's cooking and a spoonful of tomato puree in at the end to thicken the sauce a bit. It's pretty much like north indian shepherds pie; total comfort food.

Also for general cheap eating always watch for beef being sold off cheap as it gets near its use by date; unlike chicken or fish, beef actually tends to get better as it gets a bit older - we had a 14 euro beef roast for dinner last night which had been reduced to 2 euro and it was deeelicious.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Springly posted:

Given the tiny amount of actual rice involved I think it's probably really healthy too, and it makes you feel full.

Uh. My experiences with zok/porridge/congee all go like this: eat a bowl or 2, feel super full, then starving 1-2 hours later after all the water runs through my system.

Not saying it's not delicious or cheap, but it's not filling for long!

Also, I'm suddenly curious about why someone wouldn't eat eggs.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Is Keema Matar a sausage?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Is Keema Matar a sausage?

Of course not, it's clearly a form of hamburger.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Hamburgers don't have vegetables. :rolleyes:

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Pookah posted:

Of course not, it's clearly a form of hamburger.

So it's a sandwich, then?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Chunderbucket posted:

So it's a sandwich, then?

Yeah, a sloppy Jai. :haw:

MadameFishcake
Oct 21, 2010
I am so making that Keema Matar stuff by the end of the week. My SO bought a whole bunch of ground beef yesterday and I'm always like, "jesus, what can I even do with that."

Also, I've wanted to make congee for so long (mmm, comfort food), but I think it'll have to cool down a bit for me before I attempt that one.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

if it is not in a casing it is not sausage. :colbert:

fake edit: there should be a combination of :chef: and :colbert: :chefbert: if you will...

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

GrAviTy84 posted:

if it is not in a casing it is not sausage. :colbert:

fake edit: there should be a combination of :chef: and :colbert: :chefbert: if you will...

What should be call it then? Pre-sausage mix? Proto-sausage? All I know is that it is cheap and tasty!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Dirty Phil posted:

What should be call it then? Pre-sausage mix? Proto-sausage? All I know is that it is cheap and tasty!

Seasoned ground meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

Seasoned ground meat

Not to say that supermarket labeling inherently makes any sense at all, but are you essentially saying that supermarket labeling seasoned ground meat as "italian sausage" or somesuch is completely false and makes no sense at all?

What about breakfast sausage patties, they do not deserve the label sausage in any way?