Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho

Leyburn posted:

I just made a Diamond Pickaxe Efficiency 4 Silk Touch, which sounds good to me.

Not sure if Silk Touch is something I actually want, but what the hell.
Use it to mine some grass blocks and make a grass field for your nether fortress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Doniazade posted:

Use it to mine some grass blocks and make a grass field for your nether fortress.

Can you actually grow things in the nether?

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho

Slickdrac posted:

Can you actually grow things in the nether?
Yep, as long as you have enough light (torches, unsure if the background level is enough) the grass will spread. You have to place the dirt yourself of course. You just can't grow crops since water evaporates instantly in the nether, grass and trees work just dandy though.

Same thing in mushroom biomes, if you clear the mycelium and plop fresh dirt you can have grass in a mushroom biome for a nice mob-free base. Mobs don't spawn at all in mushroom biomes.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
So my nephews came by for a week, and the first thing out of their mouths upon getting the hellos out of the way was "Hey uncle Boat, have you heard of Minecraft?"

:dance:

I spent basically the entire week playing Minecraft, LEGO, and swimming. It pretty much ruled.

Anyway, they brought their XBOX 360 and we played pretty much exclusively on that. You should all thank your lucky stars you've got the computer version. On top of the usual Minecraft bugginess, there are a slew of XBOX only bugs. Since we played in 4-up split screen, only the first player could hear noteblocks. I was trying to make a song, and every time I had to time it, I'd have to wait for my nephew to come over since if he was out of range, everything was silent. :psyduck:

On the plus side, it held for rain too, so as long as he was underground we all got to avoid the constant rain hiss.

I'm just utterly boggled that transposing a game as buggy as Minecraft to another system not only imported all the existing bugs, but created so many new bugs as well. Goddamn.

procitizen
May 9, 2010

HYUK HYUK HYUK
What's the difference between pressure plates and tripwires?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

procitizen posted:

What's the difference between pressure plates and tripwires?
You have to stand on a pressure plate to trigger it. You have to walk through a trip wire to trigger it.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

fondue posted:

You have to stand on a pressure plate to trigger it. You have to walk through a trip wire to trigger it.

Also you can cover long distances with tripwires, and you can string them through midair. :engleft:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Phangor posted:

Its really great. Even my nephew, the younger of the two, can do things like make walls and fly around, ride rollercoasters, etc. My niece understands a bit more about the game but I still help her out with things like circles and spheres.

Had to make some signs to help them get started on the server.

I am new and would like to bring up the console to use some of these but don't know how. I Googled and saw someone said that "T" brings up the console but it doesn't on my copy. Any help?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Soul Glo posted:

I am new and would like to bring up the console to use some of these but don't know how. I Googled and saw someone said that "T" brings up the console but it doesn't on my copy. Any help?

T brings up chat, which is basically the console. Just type "/help" and scroll through the log to see all the commands.

EDIT: Oh, but you'll have to have a world with cheats enabled on it.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 3, 2012

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

The console doesn't work in single player without a mod to enable it, perhaps that's the problem?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Valen posted:

The console doesn't work in single player without a mod to enable it, perhaps that's the problem?

Aha, yeah, I'm playing vanilla. Oh well. I've already put enough into my current world to not want to redo until I have a better idea of everything I'd like to fix on my second one. Guess I'll grab some mods for my next one.

Thanks though.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Boat posted:

Also you can cover long distances with tripwires, and you can string them through midair. :engleft:

Oh, God, if vertical redstone was a thing, "electrified" fences could become a possibility. Something breaks through the fence? Pistons reveal dispensers which start spamming arrows until turned off.

As it stands, you can fill a hallway with 'em for sort of a "get past this now, motherfucker" effect.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
I didn't know about this until recently, but vertical redstone kinda works with glowstone and spots of dust on top:

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Hobo By Design posted:

I didn't know about this until recently, but vertical redstone kinda works with glowstone and spots of dust on top:

In 1.3 you will be able to use Upper Half-slabs for the same effect at a cheaper cost :science:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Right now you just have to settle for spiraling it upwards slowly.

edit: I mean, if you don't have glowstone. Or can you do something with torches?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You can stack redstone torches to do vertical redstone. Basically torch, block, torch, block, and so on, with the torches being on top of the blocks. Each step the signal gets inverted, so plan accordingly.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
After only my second attempt to get it, I now have a Fortune III diamond pick. It also came with Efficiency IV, but that's kind of useless on such a pick. It would have been nice to get Unbreaking instead, but oh well.

Now should I start my strip mine now, or should I wait a month for 1.3 to get all that sweet, sweet experience?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wish they'd just let me combine a fence to make a vertical redstone column transmitter.

That or 9 redstone in a grid to form the redstone block for 6-directional transmitter and also cool red colour, but we've all wanted that for ages.

D34THROW posted:

Oh, God, if vertical redstone was a thing, "electrified" fences could become a possibility. Something breaks through the fence? Pistons reveal dispensers which start spamming arrows until turned off.

As it stands, you can fill a hallway with 'em for sort of a "get past this now, motherfucker" effect.

I like the dispensers in the ground which pistons push up idea, as pop-out turrets.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MikeJF posted:

I wish they'd just let me combine a fence to make a vertical redstone column transmitter.

That or 9 redstone in a grid to form the redstone block for 6-directional transmitter and also cool red colour, but we've all wanted that for ages.

I like the dispensers in the ground which pistons push up idea, as pop-out turrets.

Dispensers can't be pushed because of metadata storage, same reason as why chests can't be pushed. The Minecraft engine doesn't have any comprehension of how to deal with moving tile (title?) entities around.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Dispensers can't be pushed because of metadata storage, same reason as why chests can't be pushed. The Minecraft engine doesn't have any comprehension of how to deal with moving tile (title?) entities around.

Balls.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

DoctorWhat posted:

So logically, just move every other block down instead of raising the dispenser :smug:.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dog kisser posted:

So logically, just move every other block down instead of raising the dispenser :smug:.

After all, everything's relative...

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Jamesman posted:

After only my second attempt to get it, I now have a Fortune III diamond pick. It also came with Efficiency IV, but that's kind of useless on such a pick. It would have been nice to get Unbreaking instead, but oh well.

Now should I start my strip mine now, or should I wait a month for 1.3 to get all that sweet, sweet experience?

You could always start mining now and just save every pocket of everything that isn't stone for 1.3. Then once 1.3 comes out, go down and start digging out all the gold and diamonds with your enchanted pick.

After all, you don't want to waste something like that on just mining stone.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Soul Glo posted:

Aha, yeah, I'm playing vanilla. Oh well. I've already put enough into my current world to not want to redo until I have a better idea of everything I'd like to fix on my second one. Guess I'll grab some mods for my next one.

Thanks though.

If you're running the 1.3 preview snapshot you can open your single player game to LAN and then get all of the benefits of a cheats enabled multiplayer server in single player. No one needs to join for this to work. Or you can wait for 1.3 and do that.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Doniazade posted:

This was a good idea. I've got a very nice little garden area next to my nether portal now. At the moment it is all shielded from the Ghasts with stone, nether brick and nether brick fence which isn't pretty.

I'm wondering if I encase my area in glass instead will the Ghasts shoot at me and break the glass, or will they leave me alone?

Skeletons don't try and shoot me through my windows, so I'm thinking I'm safe.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Leyburn posted:

This was a good idea. I've got a very nice little garden area next to my nether portal now. At the moment it is all shielded from the Ghasts with stone, nether brick and nether brick fence which isn't pretty.

I'm wondering if I encase my area in glass instead will the Ghasts shoot at me and break the glass, or will they leave me alone?

Skeletons don't try and shoot me through my windows, so I'm thinking I'm safe.

The ghasts won't shoot you through windows; however pigman will spawn in your house unless you use half-slabs due to how nether spawning works (and possibly ghasts if your ceiling is large enough)

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

DoctorWhat posted:

And yet the Zeppelin mod manages to do it just fine. You can have a 5x5 platform filled with chests and it will move the chests around perfectly, inventory and all. Hell, slap some dispensers on that puppy. Can't fire while it's moving, but they'll still have their junk in 'em.

Or does that use some weird poo poo that Jeb and the others might be iffy to put into Minecraft proper?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Desperate Character posted:

The ghasts won't shoot you through windows; however pigman will spawn in your house unless you use half-slabs due to how nether spawning works (and possibly ghasts if your ceiling is large enough)

The idea of a ghast spawning in the house is terrifying. I'll make sure it's small enough to avoid that.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

D34THROW posted:

And yet the Zeppelin mod manages to do it just fine. You can have a 5x5 platform filled with chests and it will move the chests around perfectly, inventory and all. Hell, slap some dispensers on that puppy. Can't fire while it's moving, but they'll still have their junk in 'em.

Or does that use some weird poo poo that Jeb and the others might be iffy to put into Minecraft proper?

IRRC, if you try to move a chest or dispenser with a piston, the piston will not activate.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Leyburn posted:

The idea of a ghast spawning in the house is terrifying. I'll make sure it's small enough to avoid that.

You'd have to make your house pretty big and hollow to get a Ghast to actually spawn in it.

quote:

The Nether, with at least 5*5*5 space, any light level, immediately above a non-transparent block.

So just don't make a nether mansion and you should be fine.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The Nether ain't such a bad place after all...

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Desperate Character posted:

Found this out the hard way in a multiplayer server my buddy was running. Spent a few hours making a nice, large room with a nice, large Netherwort farm. Replaced all the ground with sandstone to try and remove some of the eye-searing redness from the joint, then went to try and connect portal 1 to portal 2. After spending awhile doing that, I came back, and through the door into the room I saw a ghast in there. The room was only just big enough for the body. So just this giant white square with eyes loitering in the middle of this nice-looking sandstone garden. It was the weirdest thing and I wish I'd saved the screenshot I took.

Well, I had to enter to kill the drat thing, and it ended up opening fire and destroying the door and the wall around it. I don't recall how high the ceiling was, but I want to say 5-6 blocks. I wanted to make it a little less claustrophobic. But that was a mistake. I'd thought changing the ground from Netherrack would just naturally stop random spawns in there, but that most certainly wasn't the case.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

sword_man.gif posted:

You'd have to make your house pretty big and hollow to get a Ghast to actually spawn in it.

So just don't make a nether mansion and you should be fine.

Oh poo poo. How much space does a ghast need to spawn? I may be rolling the dice in a really bad way.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

BitBasher posted:

Oh poo poo. How much space does a ghast need to spawn? I may be rolling the dice in a really bad way.

I believe it's 5x5x5 blocks of air, but I could be wrong.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It's almost like the exact information you're asking about was posted in the post you quoted...

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

If you're looking for some entertainment this evening we're starting up a round of hardcore on goonimati.com:31111. If you've played before with us you should be able to get in, otherwise please post your in-game name in the goonimati thread.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

How do I make this chunk regenerate on my server? Backups are either way too old, or contain this missing chunk.

This is vanilla 1.2.5 server.

Edit: And restarting it causes interesting effects

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Can you not put on WorldEdit? Because then you can just select the chunk and have it regenerate it.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

IUG posted:

Can you not put on WorldEdit? Because then you can just select the chunk and have it regenerate it.

Can that be tossed onto a vanilla server without a fresh start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

No. But another option would be to use MCEdit on whatever your latest backup is. Although I'm not sure if it can regen, since I've never tried that.

EDIT: I kindof read that wrong. You would use a Bukkit jar, and then install the World Edit plugin (pretty simple to do actually). You can keep your maps the way they are. I've personally started a map for our server, gone vanilla to start on a new map, then installed Bukkit and whatever mods as I went along. I never had to restart our map except when it was just getting too large.

IUG fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 3, 2012