Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Also one other thing to consider, go here and see if you live in a 4g wimax area: http://www.clear.com/coverage/

If you do, the Evo (and only the Evo) gets 4g. Might be worth considering for that alone as the 4g is much faster than VM's normally shittastic 3g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

For Android I'd definitely say get one of the Android 4 devices. That means the HTC Evo or the HTC One V.

OliverObtuse
Nov 30, 2005

ROCKET FUEL MALT LIQUOR, DAMN!
So, I had to make a move pretty quick, so I decided to activate an old Droid X on PagePlus with a new number and currently my old Verizon number is being ported to Google Voice. Once my iPhone 4S sells, i'm going to buy the unlocked GNEX and get the Straight Talk sim. I have no idea why i'm typing this out other than I feel really weird leaving big red, seeing as how I have been there 9 years and did work for them for 3. Here's to the revolution. I'm so scared.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

fralbjabar posted:

Your only real option to stay on the $25 plan is the Motorola triumph, which has some serious quality control issues and is a bit dated anyhow. If you're willing to pay the extra $10 then you've got the Evo V, Optimus elite, One V and the iphone 4s.

Out of those the iphone is expensive as gently caress at $650 and the optimus elite while supposedly good (and only $150) also isn't that much of an upgrade over the Optimus v, and it doesn't get ICS which the One V and the Evo get. The One V looks good on paper, and reports I've heard from England where it's been out for a month or so sound good but I haven't personally looked at one yet as they just showed up for purchase online today. I have an Evo and I love it, but it's big and $300 so depending on just how much phone you want and are willing to pay for the $200 One V may be your best bet.

If the 300 dollar evo is similar to my mytouch 4g/glacier then it sounds good. I put cyanogenmod 7 on her optimus v and it's an improvement but she really needs a new phone. I used an optimus v for a few months and I don't blame her

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
The Evo is a good deal more phone than a mytouch 4g, if you ask me it really is the best thing going on Virgin at the moment. I replaced an optimus v running CM7 with the Evo and I am completely pleased with it. The Optimus had this nasty habit of randomly rebooting itself once the battery dropped below 40% or so, and of course was bog slow and had a tiny fuzzy screen. Everything about the Evo is just better, it's fast and responsive, the screen is huge and looks great, and it seems to have fewer reception issues than my optimus.

Also: the Evo is literally a rebranded Evo 3d, glasses free 3d screen and all. It works impressively well, though there's virtually no 3d content available and all of the gimmicky 3d games won't run on it because it tells the play store it's an Evo V instead of an Evo 3d.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

fralbjabar posted:

The Evo is a good deal more phone than a mytouch 4g, if you ask me it really is the best thing going on Virgin at the moment. I replaced an optimus v running CM7 with the Evo and I am completely pleased with it. The Optimus had this nasty habit of randomly rebooting itself once the battery dropped below 40% or so, and of course was bog slow and had a tiny fuzzy screen. Everything about the Evo is just better, it's fast and responsive, the screen is huge and looks great, and it seems to have fewer reception issues than my optimus.

Also: the Evo is literally a rebranded Evo 3d, glasses free 3d screen and all. It works impressively well, though there's virtually no 3d content available and all of the gimmicky 3d games won't run on it because it tells the play store it's an Evo V instead of an Evo 3d.

I have no idea what the root scene for that is but it seems like that's an easy build.prop fix? Maybe the 3d stuff isn't worth it though

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Yeah, with root it's fairly easy to do but not really worth it. Rooting the phone is fairly straightforward as it is an Evo 3d, so everything carries over (mostly).

Though now that you mention it, root does let you do one very nice thing. Because of the ongoing patent lawsuit fiasco with Apple, HTC disabled the ability to hit links and have them automatically open in an associated app (ie: hit a play store link and it'd open in the play store app instead of opening the play store in a browser window). Rooting the phone and removing the HTC linkafy disabler .apk is the only way to get this functionality back.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Bob Morales posted:

I heard of issues getting iPhone 4's working, using MMS messages, and (even though I only use a couple hundred MB per month) data getting throttled or limited.

The OP seems to suggest that non-jailbroken iPhones are relatively straightforward after you change the APN. For MMS, how often do you use MMS-proper instead of iMessage? Remember iMessages are just data.

I have admittedly not tried it myself, but att straighttalk sounds like an ok way to go. I know I personally don't ever use normal MMS any more.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What would be the process of going from TMobile prepaid to StraightTalk TMobile? Just like switching companies (get SIM, create account, port number) or would you have to port your number to a 3rd carrier first?

TMobile prepaid seems slightly cheaper for me (I seem to be using between 150-200 minutes/month), but if keeping track of minutes gets too annoying or I start going over 250/month, I'd switch to StraightTalk.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

fralbjabar posted:

I have an Evo and I love it, but it's big and $300 so depending on just how much phone you want and are willing to pay for the $200 One V may be your best bet.

This is my current debate. Price isn't the issue; the One V appeals to me because it's very small without being a lovely phone.

Is Virgin's 3G that I'd get with the One V really that much worse? I'm split between the Evo and One on a performance / size issue.

OliverObtuse
Nov 30, 2005

Ok so my number has finally ported all the way over to Google Voice. So here is my question: I know when someone texts my GV number it goes to my phone and I can reply to it. But can I initiate a text from my Droid X that will send from my GV number instead of my PagePlus number without using the Google Voice app? Does this question make sense?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Why not just use the Google Voice app as your texting app?

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Xealot posted:

This is my current debate. Price isn't the issue; the One V appeals to me because it's very small without being a lovely phone.

Is Virgin's 3G that I'd get with the One V really that much worse? I'm split between the Evo and One on a performance / size issue.

It'll depend on where you live, around where I live (just west of Boston) I usually can't break 1mb/s on 3g, but I've been to other places where I can get 3-4mb/s off 3g. I don't really have any idea how to predict your data quality where you are though. The 4g, when I can get it, is usually up around 8mb/s and consistent about speed. This is when I can get it though, it's wimax based 4g so coverage is lackluster at best and at the moment it's looking like we won't be seeing any coverage expansion on wimax. Check on the clearwire coverage site to see if you live in a wimax area, if you are I'd consider the Evo.

Of course the one wild card that could change all this is Sprint's network vision plan which includes converting their entire nationwide network to EV-DO Rev. B. Currently Virgin doesn't actually appear to operate on Sprint's nationwide network, but instead operates on the old Nextel bands (compare the coverage maps on the virgin website with the Sprint v Nextel coverage maps on the Sprint website). For network vision, however, Sprint is going to be removing the separate Nextel network and reusing the frequencies for EV-DO Rev. B stuff. If Virgin phones actually do operate on the old Nextel network then nobody has any idea what will happen when that transition takes place. With luck we'll finally actually be on the Sprint nationwide network and might get much better 3g.

OliverObtuse
Nov 30, 2005

Rastor posted:

Yeah of course. I'll most likely use the app. I just want to know if it's possible.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

OliverObtuse posted:

Ok so my number has finally ported all the way over to Google Voice. So here is my question: I know when someone texts my GV number it goes to my phone and I can reply to it. But can I initiate a text from my Droid X that will send from my GV number instead of my PagePlus number without using the Google Voice app? Does this question make sense?

Use the Google Voice app to send the first text, then when you get a reply add that number to your contacts and use a standard texting app. Unfortunately I don't think there's another way to do it.

Rastor posted:

Because the GV app sucks really hard compared to other texting apps. No character count, no canned replies, etc.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

quote:

In another lawsuit win against Samsung, Apple has managed to get the sales of Galaxy Nexus banned in the U.S. Accusing on four patent infringements, Apple had filed a suit against the first Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich handset in the country. The U.S District Court of Northern California placed a ban over the sales of the device in response to the Apple suit. The South Korean tech maker will no longer be able to ship its much-touted Galaxy Nexus (third Google Nexus phone) in the market, as a result.

http://nvonews.com/2012/07/01/samsung-galaxy-nexus-banned-in-the-us-is-galaxy-s3-on-apple-radar/

gently caress you Apple.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Shouldn't surprise anyone.
Apple has been getting their rear end handed to them in sales and their product can't compete with Android. Must be time to sue (again).

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

OliverObtuse posted:

Yeah of course. I'll most likely use the app. I just want to know if it's possible.

There's an app called GV Integration that lets you use your default messaging app with real numbers. The downside is I've never figured a way to only receive a message once, it always goes to both GV and the sms app, but I can live with that. It costs a little bit though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ilkhan posted:

Shouldn't surprise anyone.
Apple has been getting their rear end handed to them in sales and their product can't compete with Android. Must be time to sue (again).

Oh boy, don't start this in this thread. :ughh:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Assuming Apple ponies up and gets the ban enacted, does anyone know if I would be able to get a replacement phone if my Galaxy Nexus died?

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Man what the hell. My contract up and ended yesterday (July 1st) and I thought I was good to go with the Galaxy Nex + T-Mobile $30 a month but looking at their coverage map my area is in the smallest part of reception. I've had T-Mobile before but that was like 4 years ago and if I walked towards the interior of my apartment I would lose a signal. The AT&T $45 coverage map shows that everything in my area is the best speed. How reliable are those maps?

And also I have no idea what's gonna happen with the Nexus now, so...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I may wake up in the morning and buy a Nexus before they are pulled from the site. Thanks, Apple, for forcing my hand!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Concurred posted:

Man what the hell. My contract up and ended yesterday (July 1st) and I thought I was good to go with the Galaxy Nex + T-Mobile $30 a month but looking at their coverage map my area is in the smallest part of reception. I've had T-Mobile before but that was like 4 years ago and if I walked towards the interior of my apartment I would lose a signal. The AT&T $45 coverage map shows that everything in my area is the best speed. How reliable are those maps?
When reviewing the T-Mobile coverage map, switch to data and zoom in until you see the 4G color coding. If you don't have a promise of 4G coverage in the places you live and work, don't go for it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
My wife was on the optimus v for about a year (I had one too, until I found out about the t-mobile 30 dollar plan and decided to use it with my previously-bought HTC mytouch 4g) and she was really not loving it. Google maps crashed most of the time, etc. So on Saturday we got her an Evo V (also known as an evo 3d). It's loving great, and it seems that unlike my mytouch 4g pre-root, it doesn't need a rom installed for the battery life to improve. In case anyone wanted to know what a good android phone for virgin is, get the evo 3g. I think it required her to switch to 35/month instead of 25/month.

Cinereus
Feb 15, 2008

Rastor posted:

When reviewing the T-Mobile coverage map, switch to data and zoom in until you see the 4G color coding. If you don't have a promise of 4G coverage in the places you live and work, don't go for it.

What is T-Mobile's 3G anyway, just the slower HSDPA? I can't seem to find that anywhere. I only ask because I'm currently on VM's Rev.A 3G which I think has also been called terrible in this thread. Has TMo changed their coverage maps? The old pink ones showed the area I'm looking at as 3G, but now they have these odd green ones where you have to click on areas to see if they're 3G or 4G and they're showing up as 4G now. Weird.

I also saw that you posted that we're in a bad spot for new phones right now (in between Nexus and iPhone times), though was that true for just subsidized buyers or even for us on prepaid? I've got one of the few working Triumphs right now and I could live with it for the time being, though it seemed as though the general consensus was the GalNex would be more than enough phone for anyone and whatever hardware they put on the next Nexus wouldn't be put to good use for a while anyway.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Concurred posted:

And also I have no idea what's gonna happen with the Nexus now, so...

you really should just pay 30 and find out it yourself. Even inside NYC, I get noticeably different 3G speed from TMobile and Sprint.

When my HD2 was on the old WM baseband, I could get 10,000 kbs, when I am on the newer android baseband, I get about 1,000 kbs. All these are 3G speed. Basically they are fast enough.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 2, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Cinereus posted:

What is T-Mobile's 3G anyway, just the slower HSDPA? I can't seem to find that anywhere. I only ask because I'm currently on VM's Rev.A 3G which I think has also been called terrible in this thread.
Don't worry about the technologies involved, it won't really tell you about real-world speeds. For example MetroPCS has 4G LTE, but by all reports it's laughable.

In practice on Sprint / Virgin Mobile 3G you'll see speeds of 0.8-1.2 mbps. Sprint / VM WiMax 4G, 3-6 mbps. On T-Mobile 4G you'll see upwards of 4-8 mbps.

quote:

Has TMo changed their coverage maps? The old pink ones showed the area I'm looking at as 3G, but now they have these odd green ones where you have to click on areas to see if they're 3G or 4G and they're showing up as 4G now. Weird.
Yes, and I find the new ones much less usable.

quote:

I also saw that you posted that we're in a bad spot for new phones right now (in between Nexus and iPhone times), though was that true for just subsidized buyers or even for us on prepaid? I've got one of the few working Triumphs right now and I could live with it for the time being, though it seemed as though the general consensus was the GalNex would be more than enough phone for anyone and whatever hardware they put on the next Nexus wouldn't be put to good use for a while anyway.
If you can wait until the next Nexus (6-8 months?) then do. If you can't wait, it's a nice phone which will continue to get nice update support for some time.

OliverObtuse
Nov 30, 2005

Got my Nexus S today, which is on the ATT system. So now, I have to decide finally which way I am going. I have two ideas.

1. Go Straight Talk - Seems to be the easiest and best way. Straight forward. No questions here.

2. GoPhone - I am seeing where some smartphones are able to use 3G data with the 50 dollar unlimited GoPhone plan. It might be worth the risk. Anyone have any info on the GoPhone option?

Thanks.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Pretty sure "some smartphones" doesn't include Androids. Unless you plan to stream music and movies all day long, Straight Talk is probably the best choice.

Cinereus
Feb 15, 2008

Rastor posted:

In practice on Sprint / Virgin Mobile 3G you'll see speeds of 0.8-1.2 mbps. Sprint / VM WiMax 4G, 3-6 mbps. On T-Mobile 4G you'll see upwards of 4-8 mbps.

If you can wait until the next Nexus (6-8 months?) then do. If you can't wait, it's a nice phone which will continue to get nice update support for some time.

What kinds of speeds would T-Mobile 3G likely provide? Just wondering what they define their own 3G coverage/speed as. Thanks for the advice though, probably going to stick with VM and see what the next Nexus brings, guess I just got caught up in all the injunction talk.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I ordered a GNex. Is this what I need from TMobile to get on the $30/month plan?
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/T-Mobile-Prepaid-SIM-Activation-Kit

EDIT: Durr, the link is in the OP. Nevermind.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Cinereus posted:

What kinds of speeds would T-Mobile 3G likely provide? Just wondering what they define their own 3G coverage/speed as. Thanks for the advice though, probably going to stick with VM and see what the next Nexus brings, guess I just got caught up in all the injunction talk.
T-Mobile 3G and 4G is essentially the same thing. What speeds you get depend on how upgraded the towers in your area are, and what modes your phone supports. Think of it like 10 / 100 / 1000 base T ethernet networking, where you're plugging the same cables into the same jacks everywhere but the speeds you get depend on both your card and the network equipment it's connecting through.

You can see the full list of modes ("User Equipment Categories") in this Wikipedia article, along with the theoretical maximum data rate for each category. Note that you will never get anywhere near theoretical maximum speed outside of an isolated lab.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Cinereus posted:

In my experience (used both), t-mobile is faster in my area. It's pretty drat fast but I can't give you a number because there's no reception in this room :)

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Cinereus posted:

I think theoretical 3G speeds on T-mobile are 7.2 Mbit, but if you phone doesn't support any of the "4G" speeds (14, 28, or 42 mbit) you can expect in the neighborhood of between 1 and 2 Mbit/s. It depends a lot on your reception, which can be mediocre to bad indoors depending on location.

Cinereus
Feb 15, 2008

Naffer posted:

I think theoretical 3G speeds on T-mobile are 7.2 Mbit, but if you phone doesn't support any of the "4G" speeds (14, 28, or 42 mbit) you can expect in the neighborhood of between 1 and 2 Mbit/s. It depends a lot on your reception, which can be mediocre to bad indoors depending on location.

Thanks, this was what I was looking for, sorry if I was being dense. I knew that T-Mobile doesn't really have 4G (or that their 3G and 4G is basically the same thing) but for some reason their coverage map has 3G and 4G as though there is some kind of clear difference between the two, but doesn't go on to tell what the difference is. Was just interested because one of the posts above said 4G coverage or it's not worth it on T-Mobile, making me wondering how big the difference is.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sorry, parhaps I should have said 3G/4G coverage. GSM/EDGE is a miserable experience on a smartphone.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Is there anything crazy I need to do to get a Sprint branded Evo 3D working on Virgin Mobile? I'd like to set the Evo up for a friend but I've never dealt with CDMA oddities and switching carriers.

(The phone is rooted/flashable, but I haven't flashed anything on it in awhile - was hoping to put an ICS build on it)

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Glimm posted:

Is there anything crazy I need to do to get a Sprint branded Evo 3D working on Virgin Mobile? I'd like to set the Evo up for a friend but I've never dealt with CDMA oddities and switching carriers.

(The phone is rooted/flashable, but I haven't flashed anything on it in awhile - was hoping to put an ICS build on it)

I don't think you can because it's based on the IMEI serial number and only VM authorized serial numbers work.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Mister Fister posted:

I don't think you can because it's based on the IMEI serial number and only VM authorized serial numbers work.

Ah, they wont let someone use a phone from a different network?

What dickheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

You have to get the cheapest phone from Virgin and then modify the IMEI of your Evo 3D to your crap phone's IMEI. That's how folks bring in their own phones to Ting.

• Locked thread